Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} (37833 Views)

PHOTO: Christian Pope With Vodun Chief Priest / How Hindu Gods Became Overlapped With Vodun Gods In West Africa / Bini Or Esan Traditional Religon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by trolling(m): 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2012
this is some demonic shit, im not surprised it's practiced on yoruba n ibo movies
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by trolling(m): 8:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
have the nations changed their gods which are no gods...christians, muslims, catholics,hinduist, vedoun or african traditionalist are all pagans,
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by aljharem(m): 10:36pm On Dec 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

wow interesting! wait are you Ewe or Yoruba

great. ill consider this.

Ewe is very similar to yoruba in terms of language culture and history.

I am Ogu (Ewe) (Awori) Yoruba. If you have stayed in Badagry, you would understand. They call us Awori-Egun.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Bokoharam: 5:34am On Dec 12, 2012
And our pastors won't see these ones to convert; it's having churches in, and flying to US, UK, SA, Canada that's their priority. May God help us.
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Bokoharam: 5:42am On Dec 12, 2012
Our and pastors won't see these ones to convert; it's having churches in, and flying to US, UK, SA, Canada that's their priority. May God help us.
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Bond008(m): 8:54am On Dec 12, 2012
ifeness:

Shut up!
Hahaha... Dude. No vex. If u aint ready to go to heaven. Na u sabi. As for me and my house hold we will serve the JESUS. Am out of here.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by aribisala0(m): 9:55am On Dec 12, 2012
Bokoharam: Our and pastors won't see these ones to convert; it's having churches in, and flying to US, UK, SA, Canada that's their priority. May God help us.
It is the pastors that need to covert.

Tell me how anyone shouting; "aba baba baba baba, abo bobo bobo robo scrobo scrobo wobo robo dobo" can claim to be talking to God

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by aribisala0(m): 9:56am On Dec 12, 2012
Is Jesus not another Idol?

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
Bokoharam: And our pastors won't see these ones to convert; it's having churches in, and flying to US, UK, SA, Canada that's their priority. May God help us.

yes your pastors are corrupt. just like your religion. anywayz, m Pagan people are working on a strategy. we need to target the religious elite of Nigeria and convert them to Traditional FAiths first. once the King falls, all the rest of the pawns will be crushed underneath.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:59pm On Dec 12, 2012
Bond008:
Hahaha... Dude. No vex. If u aint ready to go to heaven. Na u sabi. As for me and my house hold we will serve the JESUS. Am out of here.

have you notice how you xtians always talk about servitude, slavery ,etc.

this is because your religions makes a slave of you by capturing and enslaving your mindset after brainwashing it.

We Pagans revere and respect our Gods, which are the normal SPiritual Forces that guide this Universe. we dont serve men.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by trolling(m): 3:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0: Is Jesus not another Idol?
yes jesus is an idol and that allah is an idol of the moon to, it aint no surprise u see that crescent moon n star on their mosque, as for christaians u see that cros, a symbol of death on their church
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Yewe2011(m): 12:14am On Dec 13, 2012
PeterKbaba: I HOPE YOU ALL KNOW THAT THIS PEOPLE ONLY SACRIFICE CHICKENS OR GOATS AND THIS REGION IS ONE OF THE MOST PEACEFUL REGION IN THE WORLD. WHAT ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES THAT ARE CHRISTIANS (EUROPE) OR MUSLIMS (ARABS) AND THEY ARE ADDICTED TO WAR, KILLING OVER 10 MILLIONS PEOPLE IN WARS ( WHICH ONE SOUNDS MORE LIKE SACRIFICE ) ABEG WAKE UP.......... WAS AFRICA NOT AT PEACE BEFORE RELIGION. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE RELIGION OF JESUS CHRIST, WHEN HE WAS ON EARTH. SIMPLE ( SPIRITUALIST )

yup this region of West Africa (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Togo, Benin) has never had a war and is one of the most peaceful parts of the continent. I can't say the same for parts of Africa where Christians and Muslims are predominant.

4 Likes

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by vandarsar(m): 2:29am On Dec 13, 2012
Colourful stuffs! Better than going to church to showboat
sylve11: Scary pictures, scary religion! sad cool
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Yewe2011(m): 4:02am On Dec 15, 2012
alj harem:

Ewe is very similar to yoruba in terms of language culture and history.

I am Ogu (Ewe) (Awori) Yoruba. If you have stayed in Badagry, you would understand. They call us Awori-Egun.

Thank You!

I am of Ewe Descent (Ghanaian). Although I was born abroad and don't speak the language...I know the history very well. A few months ago when I stated that the Ewe and Yoruba were related I was accused by a few for trying to make up a mythological connection that wasn't there...Even by some Yorubas on here SMH

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Yewe2011(m): 4:12am On Dec 15, 2012
the bold is very important

http://jambo.africa.kyoto-u.ac.jp/kiroku/asm_normal/abstracts/pdf/31-4/31-4-1.pdf

The Awori are mainly Yoruba speakers, but due to trans-national and interethnic
interactions, the majority of the Awori Yoruba of coastal southwestern
Nigeria is bilingual, speaking the Yoruba and Ogu languages (previously erroneously
referred to as Egun).
Such Awori Yoruba peoples are found at Apa, Igbogbele,
Iworo, among others. The Ogu are also bilingual, speaking both the Ogu
and Yoruba languages and they are found across coastal south western Nigeria,
Benin Republic, Togo and Ghana.

http://www.demographic-research.org/Volumes/Vol14/8/14-8.pdf

These issues are examined using qualitative data collected among the Ogu, a sub-Yoruba ethnic group in southwestern Nigeria.

The study was carried out among the Ogu. The Ogu constitutes the Egun speaking
people of south western Nigeria. They are found mainly in two populous states in the country: Lagos and Ogun states; they also constitute about 40 percent of the population of the Republic of Benin and are found in Togo as well. The present study was carried out in Lagos state. Although the Ogu share numerous cultural traits with the Yoruba in Nigeria, they maintain separate dialect and trace their origin to the Republic of Benin, whereas the Yoruba trace theirs to Ile-ife in Osun state, the cradle of Yoruba culture.

OGU derives from Ogun (a Yoruba deity)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogoun

In the Yoruba religion, Ogun (or Ogoun, Ogún, Ogou, Ogum, Oggun) is an orisha and loa who presides over iron, hunting, politics and war.

http://cefolassaocoed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61

The people of Lagos state had long been organized into kingdoms and chiefdoms. Few kingdoms existed among the Awori, Ijebu and Ogu before the nineteen-century but the number continuously increased because of inter-group settlement. The kingdoms and chiefdoms existed side by side, and most of the political units were independent of one another with high degree of internal autonomy. Most of the Ijebu, Ogu and Awori traditional rulers have titles that depict their areas of jurisdiction. Hence, one records such titles as Oniworo of Iworo, Onilogbo of Ilogbo, Onijanikin of Ijanikin, Oniba of Iba as well as cognomen such as Olofin and Eleko. Others adopt titles such
as Akarigbo, Awujale, Ayangburen and Aholu

The socio-economic interaction between the Ogu, the Ijebu and the Awori with the Yoruba of the hinterland, as well as inter group marriages, aided the rate of socio-political diffusion and reduced the differences among the various groups.

One of the major areas of similarities among the groups is religious beliefs and festival. The worship of water deities gained prominence among the various fishing groups. This could be explained in terms of the environment and historical experience. Most settlement of the fishing folks are on water while the land areas are surrounded by creeks, lagoons and resources especially those that could not combine fishing, farming, arts and craft production together. It is based on
the purely coastal economy that Malokun, Ayelala, Alaworo and other water deities are major deities among the coastal dwellers. There are other deities such as Ogun and Sango. It over the numerous Ogu and Yoruba deities that the Ijebu, Ogu and Awori developed elaborate rituals and festivals. The annual and ceremonial festivals keep the Lagos state in festive mood throughout the year. While the groups commonly worship Sango and Ogun, few initiates into Ayelala cult exist between the Awori and Ijebu

http://www.badagrygov.org/?page_id=620

HISTORY OF BADAGRY

The Ogu or Ogbugbe people of Badagry Local Goverment Area in the Lagos southwest area are part of the Yoruba/Popo sub-group who emigrated from the acient ketu kingdon of present day Benin Republic

According to the historical account, the Ogus originally migrated from Ile-Ife in the late 13th century into the then dahomey Empire which subjugated ketu Kingdom and from there broke into two diffrent waves .

While a band of the Ogu moved westward into Accra and Lome to from Ga and Ewe stocks respectively, the second group led by Akran Gbafoe, moved eastward along Porto-Novo and Yewa creeks (later Badagry creeks). They settled along the Kweme coastline and Olege lagoon to form the chain of Ogu communities with Badagry as the epicentre in the 15th century .Badagry which is the centre of the Ogu population in Nigeria derived its name “Agbadaigi” from the Ogu refrence ;Agbagreme which
subsequently, at the advent of the Europeans in the 16th century was converted to Badagry .

Since its founding ,Badagry has grown from a small principality of four Ogu sub-ethnic groups of Wheda ,Wheme ,Whra and the Combined Ga/Ewe and Ajah to become an acient major slave outpost ; beacon of Western civilisation and Christianity in Nigeria and headquaters of Badagry division. It also become one the five administrative division of Lagos state in time past. More importantly, the town was the place in Nigeria where Christianity was first preached in 1842 by Rev.Thomas Birch Freeman.Also, the first storey building in Nigeria,the C.M.S(Anglican)Mission house was built in 1845 at the Marina.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Fulaman198(m): 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
Religion has nothing to do with a Nation's success. India is the third richest country in the world and China is second. Neither of them are Christian or Muslim nations. America is the most powerful nation in the world because of its influx of immigrants (a lot of which are not Christian). If India can embrace their traditional religions with pride, why can't low self-esteem Africans.

5 Likes

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by amor4ce(m): 3:30am On Dec 16, 2012
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLJqMANCI0
'Mounted by the gods', a very interesting video

PAGAN 9JA, the second picture in #38 is of Obatala priests (i'm sure of the man in the middle) in Ile-Ife.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by honeric01(m): 9:50pm On Dec 24, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

See my girlfriend's grandfather holding the green-bottle shocked shocked shocked shocked sad embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed sad undecided lipsrsealed

I need alot of preaching to do be that o sad sad sad sad sad
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by aljharem(m): 10:23am On Dec 27, 2012
Yewe2011, thanks for the info. smiley smiley

sorry for the last reply.
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by 9lifes(m): 10:48am On Dec 27, 2012
trolling:
yes jesus is an idol and that allah is an idol of the moon to, it aint no surprise u see that crescent moon n star on their mosque, as for christaians u see that cros, a symbol of death on their church

The cross is not a christian symbol,it has a pagan origin. Also the moon and start thing in Islam is also not a Muslim symbol,it was borrowed just like the shape of their mosques,those are borrowed from non-Muslim cultures.

Jesus did not even die on the cross sef!
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
everything in this world began Pagan. PERIOD.
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by onila(f): 2:07pm On Jun 13, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Good job Pagan,u should write a book. Africans r lost we need to get our acts together .thanks for the daily light..long live Africa long live African and long live our cultures
tongue
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by onila(f): 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2013
PeterKbaba: I HOPE YOU ALL KNOW THAT THIS PEOPLE ONLY SACRIFICE CHICKENS OR GOATS AND THIS REGION IS ONE OF THE MOST PEACEFUL REGION IN THE WORLD. WHAT ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES THAT ARE CHRISTIANS (EUROPE) OR MUSLIMS (ARABS) AND THEY ARE ADDICTED TO WAR, KILLING OVER 10 MILLIONS PEOPLE IN WARS ( WHICH ONE SOUNDS MORE LIKE SACRIFICE ) ABEG WAKE UP.......... WAS AFRICA NOT AT PEACE BEFORE RELIGION. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE RELIGION OF JESUS CHRIST, WHEN HE WAS ON EARTH. SIMPLE ( SPIRITUALIST )
cool cool
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by alanmwene: 3:38pm On Jun 13, 2013
tony4244: WELL.. IN THE END DAYS TELL GOD THAT AND SEE WHERE YOU GET SENT TO. AM NOT SAYING SOME CATHOLICS DON'T PRACTICE THIS INDIRECTLY OR DIRECTLY BUT AS HUMANS WE HAVE TO STRIVE FOR PERFECTION LIKE GOD.. COZ THEY DO IT DON'T MEAN YOU SHOULD... SIMPLE. GOODLUCK. AM NOT GOING TO PRAISE THESE ACTS. ABRAHAM WAS ANGRY WITH THIS THINGS AND DESTROYED THE IDOL SHRINES OF HIS TIME, MADE HIS FATHER CONVERT AND GOD SELECTED HIM AS HOLY OUT OF THE WHOLE TRIB....
Don't be childish!When jesus asked his followers to drink his blood and eat his flesh,it is called symbolic anthropophagy!Human sacrifices were an essential part of Judaism!And up until now,the nazarethans are still practicing the ritual slaughter of cows,bulls,etc....when celebrating their feasts.The worship of voodons(superior beings)is what you do every sunday at your church!
Africa must foster its own spirituality and the notion that Christianity or islam are superiors to African religions is a total nonsense.Neither ancient Israel nor ancient Arabia have ever reached the level of ancient Egypt!

5 Likes

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 13, 2013
onila: tongue
angry angry
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2013
Ancient Arabia (pre-islamic), has reached a Great level, but islam tried to cover up the whole thing. The Arabs refuse to acknowledge their Pagan ancestors achievements, and tem it all as shirk (Polytheism).
Eithout archaeologists discovering the Geat Pagan Kingdoms of Himyar and Kindah, and the Nabatean and Mesopotamian Civilizations, we would still be in the dark as to that.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by MamiWata: 3:52am On Jun 14, 2013
9lifes:

Even if I don't practice stuffs like this,it could be a source of wealth through tourism-so stop hating,try to see things from the non-religious point of view.

It certainly could be. Many Americans are interested in traditional African religions...especially white Americans.
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by MamiWata: 3:57am On Jun 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
everything in this world began Pagan. PERIOD.

Indeed it did. I am a Beninese American interested in all traditional West African religions. Thank you so much for this thread. I know that vodun absorbed a lot from the Yoruba pantheon including Ifa. I know people who follow and are initiated in both traditions here in the U.S. Is it the same way in Nigeria?
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
Its not that Vodun absorbed from Ifa Orisha or vice-versa. Both religions have the same roots since the ethnic groups I listed, that practice it (Yoruba, Ewe, etc.,) have common roots that can probably be traced back to the Great Migrations in the past.

Its almost the same thing. just slight differences in terminology,etc. However if you are Beninese, its best to be initiated into Vodun. Over here, Yorubas are initiated into Ifa Orisha.

Initiation is not necessary. If you belong to those ethnic groups, you just need to follow the religion and pray to those Gods and take part in those rituals, etc.
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by alanmwene: 7:31pm On Jun 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
This is no different from the kumbh mela in india!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQNoimABjMQ
Unlike Africans,indians have a great respect for their traditions.No wonder they are ways more successful than Africans!
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
hi there my friends. here are some recent images from the actively practiced Vodun religion, in our neighbouring NAtion of Benin & Togo. hope you enjoy it. cool

practiced by the tribes: Ewe people, Kabye people, Mina people and Fon people.

in Nigeria, the slightly different Ifa-Orisha version is practice by the Yoruba people, as you are well aware.

*pics borrowed from my friends friends fb page: Vodun Groove: Bénin and Togo (West Africa ) (by Benin Vodun priest & Initiator the Hon. Andoche Adjos Adjovi. )

We are all Israelites. God will gather us together near the end. Praise the almighty.
Please, no backlash grin
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
alanmwene:
This is no different from the kumbh mela in india!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQNoimABjMQ
Unlike Africans,indians have a great respect for their traditions.No wonder they are ways more successful than Africans!

yes exactly its almost the same. The only difference is that this is not encouraged. The Kumbh Mela brings so much revenue to the Rajasthan state Govt. of India. lots of foreigners and locals from all parts of the country go there.

if only we could do that so other people would look at us in wonder.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting / FCMB Advertises For RCCG Offering And Tithe Payment? / Mbaka Removed From Adoration Ministry, Replaced, Sent To Monastery (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.