Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? (6480 Views)

What Is The Earliest Childhood Event You Can Remember / 15 Funny Childhood Nostalgic Photos That Will Make You Feel Old. / Your Earliest Childhood Memory Dates To What Age? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 9:26am On Dec 08, 2012
Been alone on an assignment for a while so I decided to do a bit of memory juggling this morning and came up with the four farthest impressions in my brain

Care to share your earliest memory on mother earth. ?

P.S. Am not sure if this is the right section for this, but its the closest I can think of
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 9:36am On Dec 08, 2012
1. AGE 2+ - The setting was in Akoka, lagos where we lived until I was 3. I Remember going with my elder sister to one of our neigbours who had a 'Colour TV and VCR' to watch Samson and Delilah. Remembered all the kids sitting on the rug but can't exactly recollect what Samson or Delilah looked lik ! smiley

2. AGE 2+ - Same Akoka, Remember elder siblings going to school and me playing around in the yard with other preschoolers (no creche in dem days). One of the kids didn't allow us to play with his toys and the rest of us broke out into the popular kiddie singalong - 'Mi o ba e shere mo ma gbe keke e lo'.
Must have been making such a ruckus, cos Mum had to come around wondering what was happening. She was in a towel about to take her bath then - aaah , those where the days when we didn't care about a thing,
just play, sleep, eat, pooh, play . . . . . cheesy

1 Like

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 9:51am On Dec 08, 2012
3. AGE 3 - Clearer memory, the day we relocated. I vaguely remember the big truck that packed our things and the way Jacob Otunla (wonder where he is now ?), our new neighbours son ran to meet us as if he had known us for ages.

4. AGE 4+ - This will go down as my earliest clear memory. I (and my brother) were about to go downstairs to play with our neighbours - The Ogundipes. When a TV station started showing the Nigeria vs Germany match at the Kodak U16 world cup, So we decided to wait - Eat your hearts out Premiership (Arsenal, MAN U, chelsea . . . ) fans, we've been rocking the game even before Ronaldo and Messi were born !.
Anyway, I remember Victor Igbinoba's goal - Okay, I didnt know he was Igbinoba back then, I just knew one of the black pixels on our black and white TV, rounded up too white pixels and shot the ball into the net.
The Nigerians jubilated so wildly , I had to ask my brother if they had already won the match. He responded by saying that Nigeria had already scored 10 goals and whichever team scored ten goals in a game wins !!! (fabu of the century)

1 Like

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 08, 2012
My xmas rubber wrist-watch with paper inside, half past 2 o'clock all the time. grin grin grin

19 Likes

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by dominique(f): 11:47am On Dec 08, 2012
Age3+ when we were still in daycare, me and my twin sis wandered off and we almost got to the busy first avenue traffic before we were caught. Chai come and see beating embarassed. My mum came and found us crying and she con beat her own join cry.
Also in same daycare, we used to torment the hell out of this boy till we got punished or beaten.(Sorry dude)
4+ our first day in nursery school. My dad dropped us off and we started crying and made him sit with us till at least breaktime. I would never forget the sight of him sitting in one of those small nursery chairs cheesy.
A lot of memories of bullying and being bullied, injuries, dangerous games etc. Wish I could go back to those days sometimes.

6 Likes

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 11:56am On Dec 08, 2012
O.T.I.S:
My xmas rubber wrist-watch with paper inside, half past 2 o'clock all the time. grin grin grin

How old were you then ?

Funny, I never had a 'dummy wristwatch'. My first wrist watch was age eight - all those cool 'swatch lookalike' digital watches, the strap changed color depending on its angle to sunrays cheesy
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2012
dominique: Age3+ when we were still in daycare, me and my twin sis wandered off and we almost got to the busy first avenue traffic before we were caught. Chai come and see beating embarassed. My mum came and found us crying and she con beat her own join cry.
Also in same daycare, we used to torment the hell out of this boy till we got punished or beaten.(Sorry dude)
4+ our first day in nursery school. My dad dropped us off and we started crying and made him sit with us till at least breaktime. I would never forget the sight of him sitting in one of those small nursery chairs cheesy.
A lot of memories of bullying and being bullied, injuries, dangerous games etc. Wish I could go back to those days sometimes.

So funny, you and your twin must have been a handful !!!

and you started chasing boys age 3 !!!!!!!! you must be a hero, that must have been one hot dude.

btw, where did you grow up ?
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 08, 2012
Hmm, my earliest memory would have been between sixteen months and two-years-old.

I remember being in my pram (the real old fashioned ones with massive, cart-like wheels). We were living in Muswell Hill, Hendon, North London at the time. My mom was taking me for a walk, and she stopped to talk to a neighbour.

We lived on a corner, and it sloped gently downhill. My mom didn't apply the brake, and she let go while talking. I think my movement caused the pram to roll, then it gathered speed as the hill got steeper. At the time, I was too little to have any concept of fear, and I remember laughing, thinking it was really funny. The pram kept on, until it got to the bottom of the hill, and was stopped by a Holly bush. It tipped, and I rolled into the prickly Holly. I was screaming then, and I remember my mom running down the hill with our neighbour.

Those Holly thorns really hurt!

My next memory, I would have been about four-years-old.

My mom and dad had always told myself and my older sister never to go out alone. So we'd abided by this. One morning, my dad went downstairs to start the car, and do some other stuff to it. I remember my sister and myself kneeling on the window seat, looking down onto the street, where dad's car was parked. It was an old Hillman Hunter. He had the bonnet up, and was bent over the engine (which was running).

I'm not sure what happened next - but suddenly, it looked like my dad was dancing! He had both hands on the front panel of the car, and his head, shoulders and back kept jerking up and down. I couldn't see his face, and I called down to him.

"Daddy what are you doing?"

My dad continued his strange jerky movements, and without turning his head, managed to get some words out.

"Siena, come down stairs."

His voice came out in a strangled croak, not the strong tones I was used to. Our street was a quiet one, else I wouldn't have heard him. I remembered he's always stressed to myself and my sister, not to come down on our own, and I reminded him.

"But dad, you said we shouldn't come down the stairs on our own."

My dad croaked once more.

"Siena, get down stairs - now!"

I climbed off the window seat, and made my way to the kitchen, and through the back door, which my dad had left unlocked. I ran down the stairs, round the garbage can storage area, then the little alleyway that took me to the front lawn, and the strip of tarmac where cars were parked. My dad was there, doing his jerking dance. From here, he looked so funny, I burst out laughing.

"Daddy, your dance is funny!"

My dad heard me, and slightly turned his head. His voice came out in a gasping whisper.

"Siena, stop the car."

I wasn't sure I'd heard right. Daddy was always telling me not to touch the car, and now he was telling me to stop the car?!

"But daddy, you said - "

My dad cut in, his voice was a bit stronger, with a bit more snap to it.

"Siena, I said stop the car - now!"

It was only then I saw what was happening - my dad had bent over the engine while it was running, and his tie was caught round the fan. As the engine idled, his tie would tighten further, pulling his head down. And each time, my dad pulled back, the tie got slack, till it tightened once more, pulling his head back down. This was continous, hence the jerky movements as he struggled to get free.

I ran round the car, to the open driver's door, and got in. I had no idea how you stopped a car engine. Of course I knew there was a key, but to my four-year-old mind, that was just for unlocking the door. I grasped the wheel, and rocked it from side to side, as I'd seen my mom and dad do. That didn't stop the engine. So I tried to press one of the pedals. Of course, I couldn't reach it. So I slid off the driver's seat, and groped for the pedals once more. I found one, and stamped on it as hard as I could. There was a loud roaring as the engine revved, then a sharp jerk that made the car rock.

I was frightened, and scrambled out of the car. My dad was lying on the grass, his hands clawing at his throat, making honking noises, like a wild boar. At this moment, our milk man arrived, saw what was happening, and banged on one of our neighbour's doors, who now called the fire service.

They arrived quite quick, and were able to cut the knot which was all that was left of my dad's tie - the rest had snapped off when I revved the engine, and was still flapping round with the fan.

I still wasn't aware of how close to death my dad was that morning. One of our neighbours, a Trinidadian bus driver came to borrow a rake later that evening. My dad greeted him; his voice was really hoarse and croaky. I remember our neighbour staring at my dad, and commenting on his voice.

"Bomu, what's wrong with your voice, are you coming down with a cold or something?"

And I remember my dad's croaking response.

"No, my son tried to kill me."

Many years later in June 1990, as a grown man, I was to remember this, till the very last time I ever saw my dad alive.

12 Likes

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2012
Siena that was some scary sh it!

I almost plant my eyes in this device as I'm reading your story .
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Mowire: 3:04pm On Dec 08, 2012
@Siena, man your 2nd narration really cracked me! Thank God for you. Now I'm happy allow my 4yr old son get familiar with every gadget of daily use.
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by dominique(f): 3:58pm On Dec 08, 2012
@siena
i s'pose that's when your fascination with cars started cheesy Scary but funny story

pak:

So funny, you and your twin must have been a handful !!!

and you started chasing boys age 3 !!!!!!!! you must be a hero, that must have been one hot dude.

btw, where did you grow up ?

chasing after ke? More like outright bullying tongue embarassed. Grew up in festac.
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 08, 2012
I don't know how you guys remembered your toddler age experiences grin

I remembered mine when I was like 10 and I still think about it and teach my kids lesson bout it

Our driver picked us up late and I was very hungry and very mad , I was out of after school snack sad.

So we stayed at the principal's quarters beside the school cos we're the only ones left.

So the driver eventually arrived and parked far away and expected us to run all the way there ..... I didn't know the principal heard me when I murmured an 'insulting ' statement to the driver( isn't that his job kinda thing)....

OMG! the principal just called me and started to beat me non stop, the driver ran over to rescue me but the principal stopped by the time he got there and just walked in.

The driver was pissed and carried me cos my bum was very sore embarassed.... Alhaji will hear this, how could he do that to you! Pele pele! The driver asked me but I refused to say what happened , the driver told my dad bout it and Daddy called me to ask bout it and I lied.

I saw the driver decades after and I actually told him the truth cos it was like a brick on my mind and all he did was laugh and said kids.... what do you know!

I will never forget that day, I even whined about it to my hubby over and over and he says babé I think you've told me that story like 100 times already.

3 Likes

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Blazay(m): 6:30pm On Dec 08, 2012

Marvelous!. . . I don learn new one o!
From awon 'jolosi'!

THE DEAF AND DUMB HAVE ARISEN. . . .

When I was 5 years old on NL ehn? wink I remember seeing polymonikering OKORO-MGBEKE whores hiding in their own shadows. . . jolosing my 'sweet open marriage' from website to website! grin

MU CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE. . . with many IDs

Like you know who. . .awon follow-follow jelos me die! wink

They gave me much pleasure slapping them back and forth too. . . all the way to their 'senders' aka moderators and supa mod-hoes! Only to discover that they were typical 'ABIDJAN'. . .FOLLOW-FOLLOW COWARDS! Mostly OKORO ones too! cheesy

Thank awa ancestors. . . .we have not quenched like 'perv'! tongue

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 08, 2012
I never thought I'd say this ever Blazay/ callotti/ Lasinoh .... you win grin.... and stop following me around.... you're just trouble you know?

And by the way what's jolosi?

**sighs**

1 Like

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Blazay(m): 6:43pm On Dec 08, 2012

1 Like

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 08, 2012
Jeez can you stop derailing and leave me alone.... I don't watch YouTube , I never opened your videos . **Sighs **
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by slimyem: 7:33pm On Dec 08, 2012
Age 2+...
My mum was heavily pregnant and we were both walking on a street.
I was begging her to carry me but she refused and walked ahead of me
I started running after her shouting "Mummy,e joo,e gbemi...mummy e duro demi..e joo"..grin
Age 5+...
Our housemaid came to pick myself and sibling up from school and she beat us all the way home for no reason...that was then end of her job anyways...
Age 4 or thereabout..nursery school..
The days of learning numbers while crying...grin

1 Like

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 10:23pm On Dec 08, 2012
@Sienna, both your stories read like some scary horror movie. I had the chills reading them.

To think that in both cases, you were just a little step away from somethin really terrible happening.
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 10:29pm On Dec 08, 2012
@Blazay, I don't seem to get, how does your posts relate to the topic of this thread , even if remotely ?

Funny enough, I could not even make head or tail of even one sentence of the entire write up.

Can you please repost telling us of the earliest childhood experience you can remember ? this is what the thread is about.

@Jidegirl

I was trying to follow your story but got lost at the point where you kept using 'the man', as in there were three men in the story if I understand you, Your Principal, driver and pop. So its sometimes hard to know who you were referring to.
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 08, 2012
Sorry Pak I just modified the post grin
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 11:13pm On Dec 08, 2012
jidegirl12: Sorry Pak I just modified the post grin

Thanks. You mean the driver didn't even know that it was the principal who beat you ??

and sorry to intrude, is there/what is the problem between you and blazay ? I mean the back and forth does not in anyway seem to be in line with anything discussed on this thread. i notiiced something similar and funny in another thread too.
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 08, 2012
No the driver saw the principal whacking me and got off the car to rescue me.... the principal didn't want to tell him ( I presumed) that's why he walked in before the driver got to where we are at.

He's just a mean principal that was my deduction, cos it wasn't like I called the driver a name... I only said ''oh why is he parking afar and expect me to walk all the way down there, isn't that his job?''

As per Blazay she's just nothing but trouble..... I've been warned to ignore her and that that's her style ...I thought I was the only one that noticed her post is way off the topic ....... please just leave her name be before she gets here again.... me I don't want her trouble.... I dey enjoy my weekend off in peace grin
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 09, 2012
pak:

How old were you then ?

Funny, I never had a 'dummy wristwatch'. My first wrist watch was age eight - all those cool 'swatch lookalike' digital watches, the strap changed color depending on its angle to sunrays cheesy
i was just 3yrs
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 9:14am On Dec 09, 2012
jidegirl12: So in summary what I gathered from the 3 priest cos OMG !!! I've never talked for that long in my entire life embarassed

Moses ( one even said Jesus) allowed divorce because of the hardness( abuse) of someone's ( spouse's) heart and when there is no more softness ( remorseful/ change) to that heart.

I'm sorry but that's word for word

They quoted Matthew 19 and 1 Corinthians: 7( where Paul talked about divorce)

They all said NOBODY should stay in abusive marriage

jidegirl12:

The driver was pissed and carried me cos my bum was very sore embarassed.... Alhaji will hear this, how could he do that to you! Pele pele! The driver asked me but I refused to say what happened , the driver told my dad bout it and Daddy called me to ask bout it and I lied.

@Jidegirl

Am sorry but am the observant and inquisitive kind of guy. Going thru the two posts above. Just wondering if you're a Christian or muslim or you changed religion along the way ?
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2012
pak:

@Jidegirl

Am sorry but am the observant and inquisitive kind of guy. Going thru the two posts above. Just wondering if you're a Christian or muslim or you changed religion along the way ?

Pak o! You are stressing me out seriously!

So you went through my posts? Ummm undecided

Well I was born and raised as Moslem by Moslem parents and I changed during my university days and married a Christian smiley

But I have a broad knowledge about Islam a lot, you know it's part of who I am and I can't fake it.

I'm still learning the bible still and getting the hang of it and living a good Christian life but the Quran I grew up with and I know very very well.

Now no more questions! angry
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Ivynwa(f): 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2012
I remember when I was swimming out of my mama's birth canal and my twin sister tried to hold me and I come tell am say "Omo chill-o-o make I comot first" grin grin

Blazay:

Marvelous!. . . I don learn new one o!
From awon 'jolosi'!

THE DEAF AND DUMB HAVE ARISEN. . . .

When I was 5 years old on NL ehn? wink I remember seeing polymonikering OKORO-MGBEKE whores hiding in their own shadows. . . jolosing my 'sweet open marriage' from website to website! grin

MU CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE. . . with many IDs

Like you know who. . .awon follow-follow jelos me die! wink

They gave me much pleasure slapping them back and forth too. . . all the way to their 'senders' aka moderators and supa mod-hoes! Only to discover that they were typical 'ABIDJAN'. . .FOLLOW-FOLLOW COWARDS! Mostly OKORO ones too! cheesy

------------tongue

I can't stop laughing -----I didn't know that this fight continued here. The emoticon makes me laugh too.

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by pak: 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
jidegirl12:

Pak o! You are stressing me out seriously!

So you went through my posts? Ummm undecided

Well I was born and raised as Moslem by Moslem parents and I changed during my university days and married a Christian smiley

But I have a broad knowledge about Islam a lot, you know it's part of who I am and I can't fake it.

I'm still learning the bible still and getting the hang of it and living a good Christian life but the Quran I grew up with and I know very very well.

Now no more questions! angry

I didn't go through your posts per se. I also commented on the thread where you made the initial post and I don't forget things easily.

Anyway very interesting but the problem is I still have more questions .

Can I continue abeg ?

I interact with the world via questions, Its fascinating for me
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2012
No! we are done! grin
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by zayhal(f): 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2012
When I tell my folks that I remember things that happened when I was 2yrs old they look at me as if I'm weird.

Well this one happened when I was 4. My mum dropped me in school that morning and we encountered the school proprietress. I don't know what happened but my mum and the proprietress got into a short argument. Later on during break, the school used to serve us fruit juice and cream crackers, but to my astonishment, the woman serving it just walked past me and served everyone else. You wouldn't know how painful this was unless you know how much I looked forward to this mid-day treat.
I asked the nanny (or whatever we called them then) why she's not serving me and she said my mum had ordered that they stopped giving me. I couldn't wait to get home to give my mum a piece of my mind. ‎​

When I got home and asked her, she said she never gave such order and we ended it there. The following dayn same thing happened and for the next few days to follow. Now I was really beginning to hate school. What's there to look forward to if I can't have my juice and crackers? Well, I increased my whining at home and my mum had to go back to school with me to find out what was happening. She asked the nanny and the latter told her that it's madam (proprietress) that told her to stop serving me. My mum got angry, matched to madam's office to demand for an explanation.

I can't really remember all they exchanged but I remember my mum telling her that she ought to be ashamed of herself for taking out their issue on a small girl like me. Honestly, it was at that moment that I believed my mum had nothing to do with me not getting my juice. Afterwards, all that mattered was that nursery school days was happy-ever-after!

3 Likes

Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by ikamefa(f): 12:12am On Dec 10, 2012
@ topic cant remember nattin jare

when you are as old as a dragon, cheesy cheesy tell me how u go fit remember anything undecided
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by Ndipe(m): 1:30am On Dec 10, 2012
I still dont know if this is a figment of my imagination or it really did happen. But my earliest childhood memory may have been when I was 2 years old, I faintly recall eating icecream in an envelope with my senior brother back in D.C. I cant say for sure though if it's something that I am making up (and I do sometimes wonder if my mind plays tricks on me or if it really happened)

At 4 or 5 years old, I clearly recalled vacationing with my senior brother (during the long holidays) with cousins of mine at the Metropolitan Hotel, Calabar. The hotel was six storey high and during the day or so, I would stand outside the quarters pondering and curious to know what transpired on the sixth floor, the topmost building of the hotel. I couldnt summon the courage to explore the hotel, but one day, one of my cousins, (who did not even know of my desire to explore the building), told me to tour the hotel with him. We took the stairs, first floor, 2nd floor, third or fourth floor when bam, one of the employees emerged from the hotel and confronted us. The man barked at us, a four (or five) year old buy and his elder cousin. We immediately dashed out and picked race with the man in hot pursuit of us. I remember running down the stairs (that was built kinda like in a zig zag fashion), my heart racing till we got to the balcony. It was a narrow escape, when we got to our destination, we rested on the floor and cried. My cousin still remembers the incident and laughs over it. :From thence on, my imagination of living in Nigeria has been photographic. Even my brother and my mates back in elementary and secondary school (that I have reconnected with on facebook) are truly amazed that I do recall a lot of details that occured way back in school. Till today, I remember some of their birthdays even though I havent seen them in decades.

Good topic.

https://www.nairaland.com/134249/earliest-childhood-memory-dates-what
Re: What is Your Earliest Childhood Memory ? by maclatunji: 8:47am On Dec 10, 2012
Me cutting my birthday cake at 1.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wives: Do You Feel Comfortable Initiating Sex In Your Marriage? / How Do You Cope With Being A Wife, Mother And Career Woman? / Home Made Pap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.