Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,270 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? (5505 Views)

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Maggi Family Menu: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by Meklex(m): 3:39pm On Dec 08, 2012
Its my first time of cooking egusi soup, I added everthing and then came the scary moment of adding salt which I did to my utmost suprise tasted just ok, with smiles I opened my two cubes of star maggi and then closed the pot for a moment and afterwards opened it to taste it only to sense extreme salty soup....is the maggi guilty or am I trying to lay the blame on maggi??
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by MissyB3(f): 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2012
Maggi is guilty as charged. cheesy
A little quantity of maggi and salt is fine. If the food tastes good with just one of 'em, maybe the other shouldn't be added.
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 08, 2012
I never use salt for my stews and soups .

I only use salt for rice and to boil raw meat.
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by sallyopy(f): 8:07am On Dec 11, 2012
D main reason is dt seasonings generally contain high level of salt nd dt is y health professionals advice pple wt high BP to avoid d use of seasonings. Wen next u r cooking, add seasoning before adding salt dt reduce d qty of salt u ll b added to d stew.

2 Likes

Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by PrettyCindy(f): 3:25pm On Dec 11, 2012
All seasonings contain salt and monosodium glutamate as their major component that is why you dont need to add salt to your indomie. Next time, add the seasoning cube or satchet first before adding the salt. That way, you will thirst the soup first and decide if you need additional salt or not.
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by Plateevent(m): 1:21pm On Dec 13, 2012
my frend,ur maggie aiint guilty but u d cook shuld chek ur self well and get well d formular 4cooking. among d formular is Less Salt-more Maggie and vice-versa. dat is 2say,wen u discovered u av mre maggie in ur meal,its does nat render it useless just dat u reduce d intended amount of salt u wanted 2add 2it. call mre xplanatin if need b. Elderlateef-07039873901
Meklex: Its my first time of cooking egusi soup, I added everthing and then came the scary moment of adding salt which I did to my utmost suprise tasted just ok, with smiles I opened my two cubes of star maggi and then closed the pot for a moment and afterwards opened it to taste it only to sense extreme salty soup....is the maggi guilty or am I trying to lay the blame on maggi??
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by moonbaby(f): 1:18pm On Dec 21, 2012
Meklex: Its my first time of cooking egusi soup, I added everthing and then came the scary moment of adding salt which I did to my utmost suprise tasted just ok, with smiles I opened my two cubes of star maggi and then closed the pot for a moment and afterwards opened it to taste it only to sense extreme salty soup....is the maggi guilty or am I trying to lay the blame on maggi??

@ Meklex,

You can't blame it 100% on the poor maggi.

Egusi soup is one of the soups you have to be extra careful with salt, maggi and stock.

The best trick is if using stock for your egusi, make sure you taste the soup before adding extra stock or further salt or magi.

Reason being that salt/magi tends to settle at the bottom of egusi, in fact to be on the safe side, the amount of salt/maggi you want to use should be at least be reduced as compared to the amount you will add to other soups as you may find out few days later that all your salt will now start oozing out lol cheesy

Other thing to also to careful of is when you are cooking the lumpy type of egusi, always add the palm oil last say 15 minutes before the soup is ready, reason is because adding palm oil earlier will prevent the rolled/lumpy egusi from cooking.
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by mollie12: 10:28pm On Feb 27, 2013
Salt, in most of our local soups, is put on the ingredient list as 'to taste'. So it should have been the last spice to go in.
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by GoodWife: 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2013
All stock cubes contain salt. Infact you have to be careful when cooking Egusi soup because it can easily get over seasoned. In my family, we don't eat too much salt so when cooking Egusi soup, I normally don't add salt because the salt from the stock cubes are enough.
Re: Does Maggi Increase The Salt Level In A Soup? by JuanDeDios: 8:55am On Mar 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: All seasonings contain salt and monosodium glutamate as their major component that is why you dont need to add salt to your indomie. Next time, add the seasoning cube or satchet first before adding the salt. That way, you will thirst the soup first and decide if you need additional salt or not.
Precisely.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make A Bible Cake From Scratch / Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving / Your Number 1 Shawarma Plug In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.