Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? (3911 Views)

Adetunji Becomes 41st Olubadan Of Ibadanland-the Punch / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 12:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
i need someone to educate me on why this is done,yeah people do it but i dont know why.so must i fry puff-puff on my baby's 41st dat?
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by Caracta(f): 1:21pm On Dec 09, 2012
I am yoruba but this is the first time i'll get to know something like this. My parents did not do it and i won't . Case closed.
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 1:44pm On Dec 09, 2012
Caracta: I am yoruba but this is the first time i'll get to know something like this. My parents did not do it and i won't . Case closed.
nice one
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by ifyalways(f): 4:40am On Dec 10, 2012
Never seen it happen nor heard of it.

Are you sure its still in vouge?or maybe its not pratised in the whole of Yorubaland undecided
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 7:20am On Dec 10, 2012
ifyalways: Never seen it happen nor heard of it.

Are you sure its still in vouge?or maybe its not pratised in the whole of Yorubaland undecided
my mum raised asked me about it last week,i told her i will think about it
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by NegroNtns(m): 8:03am On Dec 10, 2012
Yoruba had a number of ancient manuscripts related in what you could call "scriptural creeds". Ifa is one of them. There was a manuscript unearthed in a dig and was supposed to have been retained for anthropological studies but no one know its whereabouts but rumors indicate it was archived in Vatican. I don't know how far this is true. Some scholars here probably can help share more light on that, Id love to learn more about it. Then there is "Edi". Edi, based on several accounts was passed down from Noahdic time. In Yorubaland today, the Ogboni Mystical Order are the stewards and custodians of Edi. Ogboni is an earth order and so quite naturally I would expect Edi to be a covenant.

Why do I bring this up? grin

There are certain numbers or numerals in Yoruba cosmology that are known and proven to be the revelations to life cycles. Those who master them are indeed highly enlightened...illuminated! These numbers include the following, these are just a few of them.

1 .... the origin (the veiled)
2......the earth. (time, space, distance......relativity and so on)
3......mankind (the manifest)
4......mother (fixed, stable, firm, sustenance, nurture)
7......womb (gateway, prodution, prosperity, opening, emergence)
8......resurrect (born again, submission, sacrifice, die, rebirth, transform)
9......father (priest, society, order, heirarchy, growth)

....so it continues......

40....awakening.

This is not a alchemy class but I wanted to just share a bit of the why, how, where and what with you in response to your opening post. Most parents are themselves so far detached from the culture that they lack the knowledge to explain and therefore reinforce the importance and benefit of the 41st day outing of the baby. There is a lot that go into it, including formula computing but like I said, we are not in alchemy and I dont want to start one here.

On the 40th day of a new born, there is an awakening in the child. The child must be remanded in a retreat from birth until that day when he/she is brought out for first time....which is the 41st day. It is a ritual.

The puff puff is celebratory, a merriment announcing the completion of the retreat and the outing of the new born. Hope I helped.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by NegroNtns(m): 8:05am On Dec 10, 2012
ify dear, how you dey my sister. cheesy.
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 10:26am On Dec 10, 2012
@negro.
thank you for your deep explaination, so its more of traditonal ritual than celebration
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by NegroNtns(m): 5:38pm On Dec 10, 2012
You are welcome cool

It is both a custom and a celebration.

In Yoruba customs there are rites for the born, the living and the dead.

Ijo mejo (the 8th day) rites for the dead. Look at number 8 above and what it means. There is also a 40 day rite for the departed and we fry akara.
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 7:48pm On Dec 10, 2012
yeah ijo mejo, why eight days? u name ur child on the eight day, u fry akara for the departed on the 8th day
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by NegroNtns(m): 10:31pm On Dec 10, 2012
I already gave you hint on 8th day above in my firstresponse. If i have to go deeper i would need to enroll you in my class. There is a cost. grin
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 12:10pm On Dec 11, 2012
Negro_Ntns: I already gave you hint on 8th day above in my firstresponse. If i have to go deeper i would need to enroll you in my class. There is a cost. grin

thanks once again
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by TableLeg(m): 12:11pm On Dec 11, 2012
Nonsense.... Was never done on my 41st and neither and i wont do it for any of my unborn kids!
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by miqos02(m): 12:52pm On Dec 11, 2012
Table Leg :
Nonsense.... Was never done on my 41st and neither and i wont do it for any of my unborn kids!
how are you sure it was not done on your 41st day?
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by ifyalways(f): 10:59pm On Dec 12, 2012
Negro_Ntns: ify dear, how you dey my sister. cheesy.
chief Negro. mo wa pa. Lol
Thanks, we're doing just fine.
Re: Yoruba : Is It A Must To Fry Puff-puff On Baby's 41st Day? by ODUANEGRO: 10:40pm On Dec 13, 2012
Great.....and compliments of the season to you all. grin.
You becareful when you go home for xmas..

(1) (Reply)

The Igbo And Ibibio Speaking Peoples Of South Eastern Nigeria Map. / Interprete And Win A Prize / About Bush Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.