Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US (4502 Views)

How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US / I Have Gotten A Full Time Job In Canada. / Getting A Temporary Nigerian Resident Permit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by Gsluv(m): 9:00pm On Dec 09, 2012
Hello house. I actually want to ask if anyone knows if it's possible for a Nigerin gradute ho just won the DV lottery to get a good job in the US to support himself. Cos I'm actually wondering if it's possible getting a better job other than the usual menial jobs (waiter, driver, sales attendt e.t.c.). Please I need a reply.
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by snowbuster: 1:59am On Dec 10, 2012
you have to start from someone before you can think of hunting for a better job, abi you won start working in chase bank as soon as you get to the state ni ?
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by mikkyangel(m): 3:04am On Dec 10, 2012
hmmm intresting
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by gunners4u: 2:50pm On Dec 10, 2012
Bros hw much is paid for dis menial job per hour in us.
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by Gsluv(m): 3:03pm On Dec 10, 2012
mikkyangel: Yes,it is possible, but like d other gu y said,u have to start from somewhere.I tell u somany ,9ja guys here are doing well.1st u may need to take ur result and transcripts for evaluation after which dey will tell u which level u belong to. I have a friend in Baltimore maryland who came with HND,his got a good job earning over $20 per hours

Thanks bro, nw I got an idea nd some credible info. Thanks muchos.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by Bossman(m): 4:52pm On Dec 11, 2012
It's certainly possible - First you have to be on ground. You may need to do menial jobs for a few months to get things sorted out. Also, more importantly, it depends on your background. Most "real" professional jobs will require a diploma/certificate from the US. Unfortunately, most companies do not give much regard to Degrees from Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by omega25red(m): 7:29pm On Dec 11, 2012
poster

it is possible like most of the people have said. I would advice you to maybe (MAYBE) send your resume to a head hunter depending on the type of degree you have and see if they can find you a job or at least they will instantly give you feedback about your resume and what it is that's missing.
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by gunners4u: 10:49pm On Dec 11, 2012
Hw much is paid 4 dis menial job per hour ?
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by snowbuster: 1:36am On Dec 12, 2012
different state has different pay rate cos cost of living is diff . i live in Tennessee and the pay rate start from 9.50$ its depend on the company ,some company pay you 13 to 15 at start and once they hire you they will pay you more
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by gunners4u: 6:43am On Dec 12, 2012
Tanks bros. Am coming to texas, hope dere is enough job & any idea abot dere wages per hour
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by snowbuster: 12:19am On Dec 13, 2012
@Gunners4u i have no ideal how much their pay is in texas. if na texas u dey go and you no mind to drive caby . you will surely make good money .
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by omega25red(m): 10:25pm On Dec 13, 2012
minimum wage in Texas is $7.75 meaning if you get a legit job with proper documents no one can pay you less than that per hour (Mcdonalds, burger king, target, walmart etc). Texas cost of living is cheap from what i heard so if you found a $10 to $15 an hour job you should be fine. But working two jobs while sharing an aprtment should be your plan. That way you can save money quick and find your way.

Texas is really big and since you are a new comer you would want to be in a big city so you can take advantage of public transit because the other areas might have public transit but they wont be reliable. Which is why most families have at least two cars incase one breaks down so they can still get to work.

i wish you the best
Re: Nigerian Grad Getting A Job In The US by gunners4u: 11:18pm On Dec 13, 2012
Tanks omega, am staying wit my uncle which has been in usa over 10 yrs through DV lottery. I won dv lottery too dis yr

(1) (Reply)

Thailand And Cambodia Visa Enquiries / Romanian Visa Info Needed / Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.