Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions (4507 Views)

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America / Discover How To Obtain Georgia Dual Citizenship / Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions by uzoma55(f): 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2013
Hello,

I have some questions smiley. I am a young adult born in America to a AA mom and Nigerian dad. My dad was born in Nigeria and lived there most of his life, my grandfather and grandmother also born and still living in Nigeria. I did some online research and I found that because of my parent, as well as my parent being Nigerian, I meet 2 to 3 requirements of Nigerian citizenship.

Is this true?

If so, how can I get papers to prove my Nigerian citizenship? My father has gone yet again to Nigeria without me! I have never been, and I have so many cousins, aunts over there, including my two living grandparents! I have met my grandfather and some aunts and cousins on visits to the US, but I've yet to meet my grandmother!!! I want to save up money so I can go to Nigeria with my father the next time, or even by myself. I'm in the process of getting my first US passport, my dad said he wants to get me a green/Nigerian one.

Questions: Do I have dual citizenship by birth?
How can I get the documents proving that?
Do I need a visa to visit Nigeria?
If I have a green passport, do I not need a visa then?
Can I get the green passport in America on my own? How do I prove my citizenship, or do I need my dad to help me get the green one?

Thanks and God Bless grin grin smiley smiley cool cool kiss
Re: Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions by Geminilove(f): 8:07pm On Apr 22, 2013
Yes, you qualify for a Nigerian Passport based on these terms:

Requirements

.(1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely- (a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

You can apply for Nigerian passport without your parent once you are over 16yrs of age here the online link http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/index.php?page=passports

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions by Nobody: 12:08am On Apr 24, 2013
Yes, you've got Dual Citizenship by birth..
Re: Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions by kennybuda: 8:50am On Apr 25, 2013
Go get your father birth certificate attach with yours present them to the embassy you are a nigerian
Re: Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions by uzoma55(f): 10:19am On Apr 25, 2013
kennybuda: Go get your father birth certificate attach with yours present them to the embassy you are a nigerian

Thank you everyone...I want to get my green passport ASAP...

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions by otokx(m): 11:59am On Apr 25, 2013
An irony of life.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? / Romanian Visa Info Needed / Germany Student Visa Likely Question On Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.