Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,254 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 (5875 Views)

Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily / All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / Buhari, Others Approve CPC Merger With ACN, ANPP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 10, 2012
Buhari, Tinubu and Onu
| credits:

THREE major opposition political parties - Action Congress of Nigeria, Congress for Progressive Change and the All Nigeria Peoples Party – may drop their identities by April 2013, when talks on their proposed merger are expected to be completed.

The merger of the parties is one of the strategies being canvassed by some politicians to defeat the ruling Peoples Democratic Party which has dominated power since the advent of the present democracy in 1999.

Analysts are of the opinion that any genuine and honest cooperation among opposition parties for the 2015 general elections could make the election tough for the PDP.

The Chairman of the ANPP National Rebuilding and Interparty Contact Committee, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, told journalists in Abuja on Sunday, that the merger talks between the three ACN, CPC and ANPP had reached the last stage.

Shekarau, a former Governor of Kano State, added that the chieftains of the three parties had decided to forget their individual ambitions to make the fusion a success.

He said that the leaders had realised that an alliance between the three parties would not work and that it was better for them to merge.

The ANPP chieftain said, “Certainly, we are going to submit our party certificates to the Independent National Electoral Commission after our merger. That is what a merger means. The Electoral Law is so clear on the procedure for a merger.

“If we decide to merge, the next thing is that we go back to our parties, call National Executive Committee meeting, and discuss with the members, in the presence of INEC officials. Then, you can call congress and that is all.”

He said that both the ANPP and the ACN were not new to mergers.

Shekarau said, “We have passed through this before when we were All Peoples Party and then Action Congress too, before it became ACN.

“The difference now is to pass a resolution and all this will be simultaneously done (by the three parties) and we will inform INEC about it. When that is done, INEC has no choice than to register your new identity.”

In the alternative, he said the parties might decide to adopt the name of one of the existing political parties while the remaining two would dissolve into the adopted one.

The other two options, according to him, are to “take a symbol, a flag and any other identity from the parties so that every party will have a sense of belonging or all of us will just forget our identity.”

Asked if the parties had learnt any lesson from their failed ambition to merge in 2011, Shekarau said ‘Yes’. But added that one of the reasons was that they started the process late.

He said, “We started late then. In fact, the negotiation started when all the political parties already had their presidential candidates and had finished their congresses.

“That was what made it difficult. Who among the candidates would you have expected to step down?

“Arguments came for example, that I had won the presidential primary of the ANPP. Out of the 3,000 delegates, I had 2,500 votes or thereabout. Now, sitting down in a room with about 10 people and I say I’m stepping down for you, it is no longer my personal mandate.

“What do you do with the people who stood in the rain and sun, slept in the bus, on the roadside and overnight. And again, our party had already submitted names of persons to INEC and when you merge, it would be beyond national election.

“What do you do with other elections like governorship elections, where each political party had their candidates?

“The CPC, ACN, and ANPP all had their candidates for other elective positions. These candidates had spent money, canvassed for votes and all that. That was why we said let all the parties go for elections.”

The former presidential candidate said all the political parties had agreed that the electoral ambitions of party members must not feature during their discussion.

“We are all coming to the table on equal terms. Whoever has any ambition is with his political party and not ours now. We are all talking on the same level. None of these parties has any candidates for any elective office for now. We can only talk about former candidates,” Shekarau said.

The National Publicity Secretaries of the CPC and ACN, Mr. Rotimi Fashakin and Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Sunday confirmed what Shekarau said.

Both Fashakin and Mohammed said their parties were committed to the merger and that the modalities were being worked out.

They said their plan was to form a stronger political party that would be capable of sacking the PDP.

Fashakin said, “Yes, we are ready to lose our identity for the sake of the bigger party that is capable of sacking the PDP.

“My National Chairman, Prince Tony Momoh, has said it several time that he is ready to lose his position as well. I’m also ready for that, if that will enable us form a party that will be big enough to confront and remove the PDP from the central government.”

Mohammed said, “ACN is committed to getting a single platform of all opposition political parties that will drive the PDP out of power.”

On whether the ACN was also ready to lose its identity, he said “All I can tell you is that the modalities are being worked out. And we are committed to it
http://www.punchng.com/news/acn-anpp-cpc-to-form-new-party-in-2013/
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 10, 2012
i prey it works and it will be better they adopt ACN as the name of the party or form a new name PDP must go
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 9:23am On Dec 10, 2012
Na so so mouth dem go dey make. When the time comes now they won't want to compromise anything.

Forming an alliance or a new party will mean that Tinubu's power in ACN will be reduced and i don't see him agreeing to an event that will make him somewhat irrelevant. He'll rather continue being the Alpha and Omega of ACN even if it means having only the SW states.

4 Likes

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by jmaine: 9:29am On Dec 10, 2012
grin
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by EzePromoe: 9:34am On Dec 10, 2012
To form party na beans? Who will step down for each other. I don't see it working jor.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 10, 2012
Eze Promoe:
To form party na beans? Who will step down for each other. I don't see it working jor.
it will work bro cos they are all commited to compromising their personal interest for collective interest of the people let us all pray it works PDP must go let another party do it

4 Likes

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by ayox2003: 9:45am On Dec 10, 2012
If they wanna merge just to displace PDP, they had better not merge. PDP is not the problem of this country, nigerians are.

But if they wanna merge to create a new ideology with the purpose of making governance better, with clear-cut programmes, then its a welcome development. Because honestly, the same crop of politicians are in ALL these parties. Infact in some restaurants, they sit together to discuss politics about the "masses" and "deals".

PDP members would join them once power shifts.

Frawzey

23 Likes

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by henryblaze25(m): 9:58am On Dec 10, 2012
They should stop deceiving their selves, in as much as PDP has Obasanjo the great political Chess player with then. If they want to become a major force they should lure Obasanjo to join them, if not they are dreaming
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Akanbiedu(m): 10:00am On Dec 10, 2012
afam4eva: Na so so mouth dem go dey make. When the time comes now they won't want to compromise anything.

Forming an alliance or a new party will mean that Tinubu's power in ACN will be reduced and i don't see him agreeing to an event that will make him somewhat irrelevant. He'll rather continue being the Alpha and Omega of ACN even if it means having only the SW states.

"Don't worry about my Yansh ooo, I dey use water wash am well well" Fela Anikulapo-Kuti.

1 Like

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Walexz02(m): 10:08am On Dec 10, 2012
afam4eva: Na so so mouth dem go dey make. When the time comes now they won't want to compromise anything.

Anything can change...letz wait and see..
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Morgan1092(m): 10:10am On Dec 10, 2012
If d like let dem form political thugs, PDP wil stil triumph.

PDP= People Damaging People
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Morgan1092(m): 10:10am On Dec 10, 2012
If d like let dem form political thugs, PDP wil stil triumph com 2015.

PDP= People Damaging People
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by jimino(m): 10:11am On Dec 10, 2012
As dem dey plan d merger, PDP dey plan hw 2 disstabilize d merger wen election tym don reach.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by honeric01(m): 10:18am On Dec 10, 2012
ayox2003: If they wanna merge just to displace PDP, they had better not merge. PDP is not the problem of this country, nigerians are.

But if they wanna merge to create a new ideology with the purpose of making governance better, with clear-cut programmes, then its a welcome development. Because honestly, the same crop of politicians are in ALL these parties. Infact in some restaurants, they sit together to discuss politics about the "masses" and "deals".

PDP members would join them once power shifts.

Frawzey

Nice, good post.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by honeric01(m): 10:19am On Dec 10, 2012

I am beginning to suspect you.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by omenziate(m): 10:24am On Dec 10, 2012
A very nugatory alliance to achieve wat? To oust PDP? I see all political parties as the same, different sobriquet but same covert ideology of amassing wealth and impoverishing the masses. 2015, Nigerians should vote wisely and not because of bigotry or any political alliance or affiliation.

1 Like

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:25am On Dec 10, 2012
honeric01:

I am beginning to suspect you.
Suspect me of what?
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by lacasa: 10:25am On Dec 10, 2012
PDP must go.

Change has to start somewhere, atleast the working governors we have today r mostly opposition governors.

The 2 exceptions i кnoω are;-
1. Akpabio
2. Sule lamido

Other than those two, the rest (PDP) governors are write-offs.

With d opposition we have working governors, ​ so ​, performance wnt be alien to the new party.

Tho, i am not saying they r perfect, NO!. But, after 14years in control, the PDP have nothing to show for it especially under this present Fisherman govt.

Where the only strides he is making are 'strides in Failure'

4 Likes

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Iolo(m): 10:26am On Dec 10, 2012
They should just field the same candidate rather than form a new party with new insignia and all that.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by kunlekunle: 10:26am On Dec 10, 2012

its just for presidential alone, he'll still have the states.
1964 saga.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by ypzilanti: 10:30am On Dec 10, 2012
Will Tinubu agree to become a smaller fish in a bigger pond? Will buhari agree to drop presdential candidacy? The answer to these questions will determine if merger will work.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by honeric01(m): 10:33am On Dec 10, 2012
ypzilanti: Will Tinubu agree to become a smaller fish in a bigger pond? Will buhari agree to drop presdential candidacy? The answer to these questions will determine if merger will work.

Don't worry, they have these questions under discussion already, so no need asking because they all know they must compromise.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Dec 10, 2012
honeric01:

Don't worry, they have these questions under discussion already, so no need asking because they all know they must compromise.
Let's not forget that this is not the first time they'll be discussing.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by honeric01(m): 10:38am On Dec 10, 2012
afam4eva:

Read the article again, they explained the reason the first one didn't work out.

it's always good to read through things first before responding.

4 Likes

Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by dan55: 10:38am On Dec 10, 2012
and?
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 10, 2012
afam4eva:
No, we didn't and we won't!
But let's not also forget that, it doesn't mean that the merger won't work cheesy
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by REVOLUTNIS: 10:49am On Dec 10, 2012
What have they been doing since?
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 10, 2012
Well if fashola will be their presidential candidate, then am voting for that party else NANA!NANA! Becos lagos is working
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by morgist(m): 10:53am On Dec 10, 2012
can someone please summarize the post for me it is too bulky undecided undecided undecided

lekibraky: Buhari, Tinubu and Onu
| credits:

THREE major opposition political parties - Action Congress of Nigeria, Congress for Progressive Change and the All Nigeria Peoples Party – may drop their identities by April 2013, when talks on their proposed merger are expected to be completed.

The merger of the parties is one of the strategies being canvassed by some politicians to defeat the ruling Peoples Democratic Party which has dominated power since the advent of the present democracy in 1999.

Analysts are of the opinion that any genuine and honest cooperation among opposition parties for the 2015 general elections could make the election tough for the PDP.

The Chairman of the ANPP National Rebuilding and Interparty Contact Committee, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, told journalists in Abuja on Sunday, that the merger talks between the three ACN, CPC and ANPP had reached the last stage.

Shekarau, a former Governor of Kano State, added that the chieftains of the three parties had decided to forget their individual ambitions to make the fusion a success.

He said that the leaders had realised that an alliance between the three parties would not work and that it was better for them to merge.

The ANPP chieftain said, “Certainly, we are going to submit our party certificates to the Independent National Electoral Commission after our merger. That is what a merger means. The Electoral Law is so clear on the procedure for a merger.

“If we decide to merge, the next thing is that we go back to our parties, call National Executive Committee meeting, and discuss with the members, in the presence of INEC officials. Then, you can call congress and that is all.”

He said that both the ANPP and the ACN were not new to mergers.

Shekarau said, “We have passed through this before when we were All Peoples Party and then Action Congress too, before it became ACN.

“The difference now is to pass a resolution and all this will be simultaneously done (by the three parties) and we will inform INEC about it. When that is done, INEC has no choice than to register your new identity.”

In the alternative, he said the parties might decide to adopt the name of one of the existing political parties while the remaining two would dissolve into the adopted one.

The other two options, according to him, are to “take a symbol, a flag and any other identity from the parties so that every party will have a sense of belonging or all of us will just forget our identity.”

Asked if the parties had learnt any lesson from their failed ambition to merge in 2011, Shekarau said ‘Yes’. But added that one of the reasons was that they started the process late.

He said, “We started late then. In fact, the negotiation started when all the political parties already had their presidential candidates and had finished their congresses.

“That was what made it difficult. Who among the candidates would you have expected to step down?

“Arguments came for example, that I had won the presidential primary of the ANPP. Out of the 3,000 delegates, I had 2,500 votes or thereabout. Now, sitting down in a room with about 10 people and I say I’m stepping down for you, it is no longer my personal mandate.

“What do you do with the people who stood in the rain and sun, slept in the bus, on the roadside and overnight. And again, our party had already submitted names of persons to INEC and when you merge, it would be beyond national election.

“What do you do with other elections like governorship elections, where each political party had their candidates?

“The CPC, ACN, and ANPP all had their candidates for other elective positions. These candidates had spent money, canvassed for votes and all that. That was why we said let all the parties go for elections.”

The former presidential candidate said all the political parties had agreed that the electoral ambitions of party members must not feature during their discussion.

“We are all coming to the table on equal terms. Whoever has any ambition is with his political party and not ours now. We are all talking on the same level. None of these parties has any candidates for any elective office for now. We can only talk about former candidates,” Shekarau said.

The National Publicity Secretaries of the CPC and ACN, Mr. Rotimi Fashakin and Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Sunday confirmed what Shekarau said.

Both Fashakin and Mohammed said their parties were committed to the merger and that the modalities were being worked out.

They said their plan was to form a stronger political party that would be capable of sacking the PDP.

Fashakin said, “Yes, we are ready to lose our identity for the sake of the bigger party that is capable of sacking the PDP.

“My National Chairman, Prince Tony Momoh, has said it several time that he is ready to lose his position as well. I’m also ready for that, if that will enable us form a party that will be big enough to confront and remove the PDP from the central government.”

Mohammed said, “ACN is committed to getting a single platform of all opposition political parties that will drive the PDP out of power.”

On whether the ACN was also ready to lose its identity, he said “All I can tell you is that the modalities are being worked out. And we are committed to it
http://www.punchng.com/news/acn-anpp-cpc-to-form-new-party-in-2013/
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by blunderass01: 10:54am On Dec 10, 2012
henryblaze25: They should stop deceiving their selves, in as much as PDP has Obasanjo the great political Chess player with then. If they want to become a major force they should lure Obasanjo to join them, if not they are dreaming

Dude!What are you talking about. Obasanjo is anything except a great man. He is nobody. A lowlife criminal. He's suppose to be behind bars.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 10, 2012
What ever merger is irrelevant because Nigerians vote for personalities and not Parties. Personally, apart from GEJ, the only person I can vote for in this country is Sanusi Lamido Sanusi if he wants the Presidency. I recommend a Sanusi (President) /Fashola (VP) Ticket.
Re: ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 by Livebetalife(f): 11:05am On Dec 10, 2012
wonders will never end

(1) (2) (Reply)

No. 41 Of Apostle Sulieman's Prophesy Becomes A Reality / Biafran Soldeirs Bravery And Gallantry / Putting Awolowo Educational Achievement To A "Zikmus" Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.