Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,106 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News (5102 Views)

Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts / Election Day News, Written By Different Newspapers / FG Finally Commences Winding Up Of PHCN- This Day News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 10, 2012
The Lagos State Government has unveiled its plan to achieve 3,000 megawatts of power generation, which it said, would be realised through its independent power projects (IPPs) before the end of the 2014 fiscal year.

Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Taofiq Tijani, said this at a recent breakfast organised for 15 graduates of the Youth Energy Career Programme (YECP), which was sponsored by Senator Gbenga Ashafa and implemented by the state Electricity Board (LSEB).

Speaking at the event, the commissioner explained that the plan to generate 3,000 megawatts would be realised through continuing partnership with private sector investors in the state power sector
He said Lagos megacity with estimated 18 million people would be in need of about 12,000 megawatts of electricity. But it currently receives less than 1,000 megawatts from the national grid.

Tijani said the state government was hopeful that within not less than 3,000 megawatts of electricity “will be generated in the next two years. With these and other IPPs still expected to come on stream before the end of the Babatunde Fashola led administration in 2015”.
But Ashafa, who initiated the programme for the young graduates about six months ago, said developing local manpower in the power sector “remains a key to realising stable power supply in the country".

The lawmaker, who is representing Lagos East in the Senate, called for massive private sector participation, which he said, should be encouraged to solve crises of irregular and unstable power plaguing the country in the
In his address, Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, harped on the urgent to train quality manpower that would man the sector as the power roadmap of the Federal Government and the PHCN privatisation expected to attract fresh investments in the economy unfolds.

Amadi added that Lagos had taken the right step in view of the need to have what he called “young innovative engineers” capable of handling multiple tasks as experienced hands were getting old and retiring from the sector.
But in the last couple of years, the state government in partnership with some private investors had successfully executed two IPPs to add some more megawatts to the state.

The IPPs include the Akute Power Plant (12.15MW) at the Akute/Adiyan Waterworks in partnership with Oando Plc and Lagos Island Power Plant (270 MW) in collaboration with AES Nigeria, a subsidiary of AES USA.
The Akute IPP is dedicated to powering the Akute Waterworks, one of the biggest sources of water supply to Lagos, while the Island IPP powers street lights and selected public institutions around the CMS area.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-to-generate-3000-megawatts-in-two-years/133082/
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by geez1: 10:50am On Dec 10, 2012
Its more believable when Lagos says it than when the FG says it. Up next Ogun, Oyo and Osun power projects. The integration and industrialization of Yorubaland is unstoppable

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by DANILSA(m): 11:33am On Dec 10, 2012
geez*:
Its more believable when Lagos says it than when the FG says it. Up next Ogun, Oyo and Osun power projects. The integration and industrialization of Yorubaland is unstoppable
WHEN WE SEE WE BELIEVE

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by TRILLIONIAR: 11:35am On Dec 10, 2012
nice move by lagos state govt hope they generate more by 2019
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by Policewoman(f): 11:36am On Dec 10, 2012
Na today?
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by omowolewa: 11:37am On Dec 10, 2012
This is good!
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by omowolewa: 11:38am On Dec 10, 2012
Hope the tariff thereof will not be costlier than the national grid.
Anyway, let there be electricity first then we talk about tariff latter.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by mekaboy(m): 11:40am On Dec 10, 2012
NIGERIAN GOVT, PLEASE STOP TELLING US YOUR PLANS, WE ARE TIRED OF HEARING THEM. NO MORE PLANS PLEASE. cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by eledalo: 11:41am On Dec 10, 2012
from 1999 - 2012 of continuous undisturbed ACN adminstration, how many megawatts have they generated? So in two years you will suddenly get 3000? How can people be so easily decieved? Obasanjo decieve you, Tinubu decieve you, Jonathan decieve you, Fashola decieve you, are you not tired?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by ochukoccna: 11:42am On Dec 10, 2012
That will great if implemented
Really really great
Seeing the FG is as useful as used sanitary pads
Hope the tariff will not be 'Tinubunized' sha! wink wink
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by omenziate(m): 11:44am On Dec 10, 2012
Same sold sh*i*t , different tales, different days.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by landinfo: 11:52am On Dec 10, 2012
All na WASH
as lung as Tinubu dey kolet hin weekli allowance 4rm lag, ogun, ekiti, edo, osun, etc

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by topsyking: 11:53am On Dec 10, 2012
WOW!!!! Great news ANAMBRA is working

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by sharpshap(m): 11:58am On Dec 10, 2012
All na wash! It is no longer news.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 10, 2012
If its construction of tollgate, I would have been hopeful. When it comes to electricity, I am going 100% solar/inverter combo in 2013. I am tired of hoping on Government, my destiny is in my hands.
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by Iolo(m): 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
Seems the Lagos IPP project at CMS/Marina (close to TBS) is up and running. Can anyone confirm?
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by youngmonie: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
eledalo: from 1999 - 2012 of continuous undisturbed ACN adminstration, how many megawatts have they generated? So in two years you will suddenly get 3000? How can people be so easily decieved? Obasanjo decieve you, Tinubu decieve you, Jonathan decieve you, Fashola decieve you, are you not tired?

I would not like to call you an idiot but I WILL. Ask yourself when did they privatise PHCN then come back and comment.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by ypzilanti: 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2012
Lagos State: Promise, deliver, charge lagosians mercilessly and ruthlessly, send money to Tinubu and ACN.

Federal Government: Promise, no delivery, charge Nigerians anyway, share the money among PDP godfathers.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by anonimi: 12:48pm On Dec 10, 2012
Plans, plans everywhere
When will the plans become action
Until then na Government Magic

Did Fashola reverse his increase in LASU fees yet?
Or withdraw toll payment on road already built with tax payers funds
Propaganda upon progranda equals more propaganda

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by geez1: 12:54pm On Dec 10, 2012
Iolo: Seems the Lagos IPP project at CMS/Marina (close to TBS) is up and running. Can anyone confirm?

Its been running for over two years now and it powers the State House, General Hospital and Island Maternity all in Marina as well as the street lights around Marina over a stretch of almost 10km in all

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by gregg2: 1:04pm On Dec 10, 2012
Where is the Lekki International Airport Fashola
promised us will be ready this December 2012.

Bunch of bloody liars

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by dmcdad: 1:22pm On Dec 10, 2012
eledalo: from 1999 - 2012 of continuous undisturbed ACN adminstration, how many megawatts have they generated? So in two years you will suddenly get 3000? How can people be so easily decieved? Obasanjo decieve you, Tinubu decieve you, Jonathan decieve you, Fashola decieve you, are you not tired?
Na wa o. We dnt want promises any longer.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by dmcdad: 1:24pm On Dec 10, 2012
gregg2: Where is the Lekki International Airport Fashola
promised us will be ready this December 2012.

Bunch of bloody liars
No be only Lekki Int Airport, na festac world airport hm 4 talk. U have the time to believe such crap?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by dmcdad: 1:26pm On Dec 10, 2012
anonimi: Plans, plans everywhere
When will the plans become action
Until then na Government Magic

Did Fashola reverse his increase in LASU fees yet?
Or withdraw toll payment on road already built with tax payers funds
Propaganda upon progranda equals more propaganda
No mind them... All na skimming. U get time to believe such nansense? Mtcheeewww...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by dmcdad: 1:27pm On Dec 10, 2012
ypzilanti: Lagos State: Promise, deliver, charge lagosians mercilessly and ruthlessly, send money to Tinubu and ACN.

Federal Government: Promise, no delivery, charge Nigerians anyway, share the money among PDP godfathers.
Na only God go help us
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by dmcdad: 1:28pm On Dec 10, 2012
Billyonaire: If its construction of tollgate, I would have been hopeful. When it comes to electricity, I am going 100% solar/inverter combo in 2013. I am tired of hoping on Government, my destiny is in my hands.
Lngkm
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 10, 2012
Contrast wit yobe, lagos: first capital, commerce thriving, daily 1000 flock in, investment daily, agbero turn to lastma official, before any biz start, start in lagos etc, yobe reverse the above you see what i mean
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by mrjingles(m): 1:58pm On Dec 10, 2012
If ur planning to deliver 3000 MW by 2014 then the projects MUST be ongoing by now, the only mention was akute and lagos island IPP which output are puny compared to the declared target. Hope this is not a politician talking without thinking. A 300MW plant planned in mozambique would take 36 months and cost $504 million. That should put the 3000MW plan in perspective.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by gregg2: 2:46pm On Dec 10, 2012
Lest I forget, where are the Powerplants Tinubu and
Peter Odili of then Rivers State claimed to be building in their states?

Nigerians forget so easily. As governors of their respective states Tinubu
and Odili swindled billions claiming to be building Powerplants. They were
all over in the media bragging about powerplants and megawatts.

Why can't the press ask them first how many megawatts those onse are generating?
Thieves in government.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by Standing5(m): 3:04pm On Dec 10, 2012
If they do all of the above a competitive rate, i will gladly accept Tinubu or anything ACN as my Papa.
Re: Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News by 9icest: 4:11pm On Dec 10, 2012
Standing5: If they do all of the above a competitive rate, i will gladly accept Tinubu or anything ACN as my Papa.

You are the only person who spoke without sentiments. I'd have agberos instead of kidnappers, tibubu instead of obj, fash instead of jeg. I wonder y dis sore and bitter ibos are so scared of lagos developing while their states is still 50 years behind. Anyways, I'm glad my fellow yorubas are learning to ignore your noise like I'd from now on.

(1) (2) (Reply)

18 Hours In Taraba’s Diamond Fields - Fastest Growing Settlement In Africa / Breaking: APC Split Into Factions. / Why Are The Yorubas Happy That Election Would Hold In Anambra?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.