Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff (13755 Views)

Addax Retrenches Over 90% Of Its Contract Staff / Pls I Heard Union Bank Is Recruiting Presently / Etb Lays Off Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by sammwaju: 6:42pm On Dec 10, 2012
Exclusive: Union Bank secretly lays off 1000 contract staff

Posted about 34 mins ago ⁠|⁠ 0 comment⁠

The Management of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc. on Friday laid off not less than 1000 contract staff nationwide.

The is the second time the financial institution is doing such within a space of 13 months.

The decision which took the disengaged workers by surprise, was communicated to them at the close of work last Friday.

A source at the Dopemu branch of the Bank in Lagos who spoke to DailyPost on the condition of anonymity said: “It is quite depressing. They fired those of us that are Tellers but some marketers survived the axe. I received the news with great shock. How can they do this to us at this period when the festive season is fast approaching?” she queried.

Asked if any compensation was paid, the disheaterned mother of one said: “I got an alert of N75, 000 this morning. I guess others got something in that range. I served them for five years and the best pay back I get is a sack letter two weeks to Christmas”

On her next line of action, the source in a shaky voice said: “What can I do? I will re-write my CV and go back to the labour market. I stay at home for years before I got this job, I just pray there won’t be repeat now that I have to start all over. It’s really sad.”

DailyPost gathered that Union Bank already has replaced the sacked members of staff with new hands recruited from Phillips Consulting and other outsourcing firms.

Our reporter called the Operations Manager of the Dopemu branch of Union Bank, Mr. T. C. Ogbonna to get his reaction.

When questioned on the reason for the lay off, Ogbonna said: “My brother, I don’t know oo. I can’t say anything because I really don’t have the details.” Sensing the reporter will not drop the call without a cogent information, the official said “Please I am not in position to speak. You can call the Head of Human Resources or Corporate Communications.”

Another insider who confided in DailyPost said, Mr. Ogbonna may not likely give reasons so as to save his job. He is the current branch secretary of the Bank’s labour union

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=79769
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by freeccnow(f): 6:45pm On Dec 10, 2012
Laying off 1000 contract staff is something that is unbelievable. What the hell happened and how are they gonna catch up? May be the layoff benefits will be much better.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by olaoluyincah(m): 6:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
Then the new contract staffs shouldn't relent in job hunting as well, same can be done to dem at a future date.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by marygold(f): 8:42pm On Dec 10, 2012
N75k as ex-gratia for some one dat has spent 5yrs in a bank.it is well o!!!
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Adesiji77: 8:57pm On Dec 10, 2012
This is serious! There is nothing that beats having your own business...

2 Likes

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by goldfish80(m): 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2012
a neighboor of mine was affected, she's been crying , there replacements Hªv£ already started working this Monday monrning.what a way to treat Nigerians in their own country, so sad

2 Likes

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Adesiji77: 9:08pm On Dec 10, 2012
goldfish80: a neighboor of mine was affected, she's been crying , there replacements Hªv£ already started working this Monday monrning.what a way to treat Nigerians in their own country, so sad

Eyaa...was she a contract staff too?
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by heed101(m): 9:14pm On Dec 10, 2012
Contract staff undecided they shld have fasten their seat belt.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:11am On Dec 11, 2012
Its contract and it could be terminated anytime,they did no wrong.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by dramenda(f): 12:13am On Dec 11, 2012
secretly lay off? oyaa lets go kidnaping embarassed
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Osama10(m): 12:23am On Dec 11, 2012
Too many wrongs with this country.

Our labor laws are a big shiit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Freeopod(m): 12:23am On Dec 11, 2012
Were they replaced or the offices they occupy dnt exist anymore?
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by ektbear: 12:33am On Dec 11, 2012
So, how is the banking industry doing really? I rarely hear good news from it. Yet Sanusi seems less concerned about the banking sector and more concerned about national politics.

3 Likes

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by bestower: 12:40am On Dec 11, 2012
No matter what the nature of their job in the company they should at least be informed forthnite to the scenario either contract staff or permanent staff....this is total rubbish.No job security in this country at all,u get hired today and tomorrow u get fired.I hate salary jobs.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Series22(m): 12:42am On Dec 11, 2012
Finally, union bank don sack all d DEEPER LIFE cashiers.. Mayb dem wan try WINNERS and REEDEMERS..
We r waching o
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Series22(m): 12:44am On Dec 11, 2012
olaoluyincah: Then the new contract staffs shouldn't relent in job hunting as well, same can be done to dem at a future date.
d snake wey bite d old staffs go use tail wipe d new staffs- IGBO ADAGE
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Ndoz(m): 12:48am On Dec 11, 2012
*clear throat*prayin for the best but expectin the worst
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by menix(m): 12:50am On Dec 11, 2012
After 5yrs of faithful service? Jst 75k? Dis got mii weepin.. Bleep our labour leaders!!!
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 12:57am On Dec 11, 2012
Why the secrecy in their sack,as if it won't blow out in the open.
That's why most teller in the banking jobs are nothing but potential robbers to secure themselves in the future.
I feel for them.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 1:04am On Dec 11, 2012
15 days to Christmas na wa

Fashola disposes 30 thousand plus Okada riders
Sacks 30 thousand market men and women
Banks sack workers
Inhabitants of makoko rendered homeless
Across the nation same news and we wonder why crime rate is skyrocketing
Now that the rulers are having their spouses and mothers kidnapped,they now know that the high walls cannot guarantee safety

1 Like

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 1:17am On Dec 11, 2012
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by aglomar: 1:21am On Dec 11, 2012
What could warrant d replacement of 1000 staffs? And all Abdulwaheed Omar does is to dabble into political matters that do not concern him.

2 Likes

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by nairalandfan: 1:24am On Dec 11, 2012
Series22: Finally, union bank don sack all d DEEPER LIFE cashiers.. Mayb dem wan try WINNERS and REEDEMERS..
We r waching o

ohh my, what a weird thing to say , haba , show some concern
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 11, 2012
1000! Wahala dey oh. I hope say the sacked staff go dabble into business or find another job.
#teamCFCfan
#Godiswatching us.

1 Like

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by 9jalondon: 1:24am On Dec 11, 2012
Kia sharif...oh why u stay back for Stoke-On-Trent,see now UK economy don bounce back,lol

1 Like

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by linsa01(m): 1:42am On Dec 11, 2012
Lord have mercy. 1000 people became jobless overnight even with the present rate of unemployment. Nigeria is heading towards a direction. Dont ask me the direction.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Livebetalife(f): 1:57am On Dec 11, 2012
Ah ah
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by demelza: 2:05am On Dec 11, 2012
dramenda: secretly lay off? oyaa lets go kidnaping embarassed
Ogbeni, you are on your own o!
@topic
In as much as I feel sorry for this guys, I cannot blame the bank. These people were hired on contract basis. And since the bank has decided not to make use of their services anymore, I dont see what one can do.
O ma sé o!
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by baby124: 2:18am On Dec 11, 2012
I hope some of these people were not among those sowing quadruple seeds at the last jamboree. Anyway sha. undecided
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Napolitano(m): 2:46am On Dec 11, 2012
For reasons like this, I advise every corporate worker to try and be an entrepreneur in a way or the other.

1 Like

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by ceejay80s(m): 4:36am On Dec 11, 2012
wealth123: My advice to those affected is not to cry but to take a look at the opportunity below:

It is now possible to become a distributor of many companies with only N55,000 registration.

crook

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Apply For Subsea 7 Graduate Engineer Training Let Meet Here / Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? / Police Recruitment 2018: JAMB Reacts To Claim That Candidates Wrote Exam In Arab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.