Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,567 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? (9927 Views)

Are Islamic Prophecies Pointing To Obama? / The Reasons Why Muslim Religious Leaders Dont Have Private Jets / Why Are Muslims Preventing Inter Religious Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by AtheistD(m): 12:01pm On Dec 12, 2012
Hello to all the muslims in the house smiley

As muslims are bound spiritually by sharia law and to my knowledge it is the religious leaders who impress this on the general islamic populace. Why is it that these same religious leaders do not make the effort to enforce or highlight this same sharia law on the aristocratic upper class?

Whenever a crime or a haram act is committed by an islamic aristocrat these religious leaders rarely raise any concern. They never criticise or raise action.

Isnt sharia law for all muslims?

4 Likes

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by tbaba1234: 2:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

You are correct but Sharia law has two components.

i. Individual level

ii.Societal level

i. Individual level

You see, whenever a person becomes muslim, He as an individual is bound by the sharia. This means he is required to pray, fast, give charity, care for the orphans and needy. These are all laws in the sharia. The new muslim is required to follow these laws. Gradually, the person develops the morality expected of a muslim.

So the sequence is Faith - Law - Morality

Societal level

Implementing sharia on a societal level is slightly different. Faith and morality must first be imbedded in a society if the law is to be successfully implemented. In the 1920s, the US attempted a ban on Alchohol, this ban failed woefully more alchohol was produced during tha ban than before. This is because the average american didn't see alchohol consumption as a bad thing.

You see, implementing sharia in a system where the leaders have no accountability and where corruption is rife will make a mockery of the law. A law is only as effective as the extentof its implementation.

Religious leaders do not have the same influence as they had a hundred years ago. Changing the values of society is needed to properly implement sharia.

S

16 Likes

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by AtheistD(m): 6:53pm On Dec 12, 2012
I agree. But they still play a major role in Islamic societies.

Why would I be bound by Islamic law (sharia) as a muslim if others are not?

I think the silence of these leaders poses a somewhat negative view of Islam.

1 Like

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Iaz93: 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Curlyjay(m): 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2012
No one is perfect anyways....buh i strongly support no one being above the (sharia) law
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Curlyjay(m): 3:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
tbaba1234: Hi,

You are correct but Sharia law has two components.

i. Individual level

ii.Societal level

i. Individual level

You see, whenever a person becomes muslim, He as an individual is bound by the sharia. This means he is required to pray, fast, give charity, care for the orphans and needy. These are all laws in the sharia. The new muslim is required to follow these laws. Gradually, the person develops the morality expected of a muslim.

So the sequence is Faith - Law - Morality

Societal level

Implementing sharia on a societal level is slightly different. Faith and morality must first be imbedded in a society if the law is to be successfully implemented. In the 1920s, the US attempted a ban on Alchohol, this ban failed woefully more alchohol was produced during tha ban than before. This is because the average american didn't see alchohol consumption as a bad thing.

You see, implementing sharia in a system where the leaders have no accountability and where corruption is rife will make a mockery of the law. A law is only as effective as the extentof its implementation.

Religious leaders do not have the same influence as they had a hundred years ago. Changing the values of society is needed to properly implement sharia.

S

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by maclatunji: 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2012
Let's talk about it.
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by AtheistD(m): 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
Front page... cool smiley

1 Like

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Basic(m): 4:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
I hope the mod is at alert. I'm very sure some brainless elements will soon start insulting Islam here.
Maclatunji: wake up!
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Basic(m): 4:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
I hope the mod is at alert. I'm very sure some brainless elements will soon start insulting Islam here.
Maclatunji: don't dull!
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by cyril83(m): 4:12pm On Dec 15, 2012
Basic: I hope the mod is at alert. I'm very sure some brainless elements will soon start insulting Islam here.
here I come ,if you guyz don't want any insult,you shud have kept it cool in your muslim section...ban me and i sign in another,I have 7 handles specially created for a season like this...gbam

10 Likes

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by solomon111(m): 4:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
Basic: I hope the mod is at alert. I'm very sure some brainless elements will soon start insulting Islam here.
shut up.
Why are you afraid?
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
Both political and religious leaders are failing.

*Somebody better tell that Pyguru to stop banning me angry

1 Like

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by mu2sa2: 4:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
cyril83: here I come ,if you guyz don't want any insult,you shud have kept it cool in your muslim section...ban me and i sign in another,I have 7 handles specially created for a season like this...gbam
Why insults when no one has insulted you? If a topic is on front page you dont hav to read it. If u insult me for this u ar wasting ur time.
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by kq(m): 4:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
Atheist:-D:
I agree. But they still play a major role in Islamic societies.

Why would I be bound by Islamic law (sharia) as a muslim if others are not?

I think the silence of these leaders poses a somewhat negative view of Islam.

Well like tbaba said individually as a muslim you have to implement sharia in your life, notwithstanding whether you live under sharia laws or not. Please dont take this to mean having a sharia court in your house,,,No. What it means let the rules and laws of Islam guide you in your daily life e.g family affairs, work , business transactions and relation to others(Muslims and non-muslims).

You cannot assume because the leadership is corrupt then you dont need to be responsible in your faith. Remember you will be responsible for your actions to God on the day of judgement, although the so called leaders will be responsible for their actions and stewardship as leaders.

One point i would like you to note is there is no order of priesthood in Islam, so anybody can declare himself an Alfa, Imam, Emir, Sultan, Amir as long as there is the followership. Whatever leadership muslims in Nigeria have now is an effort at best trying present some form of leadership.
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by olawalebabs(m): 4:32pm On Dec 15, 2012
To be best of my knowledge, our society is not practising the sharia law or sharia system of government, this will make it impossible for anybody to be tried under that law.
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Philipschasis(m): 4:42pm On Dec 15, 2012
Sopme peeps here are actually brain-dead, why on earth should you insult one's religion ? A high percentage of these critics were born into a particular faith and brain-washed with the thoughts that our pastor/imam instilled in us.. I give props and respect to those who got to a certain age and switched between religion much as I don't blame Atheists for choosing their path. You have to be a man of decision. Before letting out your views, have you ever thought of the stance of your opinion if you were bred from a muslim/christian faith , ? The Imams have failed yes, a sheep without a shepherd would definitely go astray.

1 Like

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Saluman(m): 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2012
I think there is a failure in the religion already.

What is emerging is that there is no united leadership in Islam. Whichever cleric or imam shouts the loudest gets the most followers. Unfortunately, the extreme ones who are empty barrels shout the loudest and take their followers on a fundamentalist reading of the Quran. We can see this as how liberal islamic speakers are accused of heresy by the radical ones.

2 Likes

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Saluman(m): 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
olawalebabs: To be best of my knowledge, our society is not practising the sharia law or sharia system of government, this will make it impossible for anybody to be tried under that law.

To be honest, I have hears from many muslims that no islamic country has is truly practicing sharia. I aksed about Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, Syria, Afghanistan etc.....they all said no.

Is that a problem with Sharia itself?
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Basic(m): 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
mu2sa2: Why insults when no one has insulted you? If a topic is on front page you dont hav to read it. If u insult me for this u ar wasting ur time.
Bro, leave them. They're only proving that the adjective I qualified them with (brainless) fits them perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by nollywood20: 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
Apparently, majority of those who are Muslims are ignorant of the truth of Islam.
The present conflicts in Africa and the Middle East are not new, because there were similar conflicts immediately after the passing of the founder.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Imams
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Basic(m): 4:59pm On Dec 15, 2012
jerseyboy:
No religion out there is trying to seperate people from their heads.
Islam is not a religion. It is an instrument of terror.
Okay, we've heard you.

1 Like

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Basic(m): 5:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
Saluman:

To be honest, I have hears from many muslims that no islamic country has is truly practicing sharia. I aksed about Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, Syria, Afghanistan etc.....they all said no.

Is that a problem with Sharia itself?
Man, you don't believe everything you hear. Not every Muslim knows much about his religion. And most Muslims who'll open their mouths to tell tales about other countries have never been there.
The sharia is in use in Saudi Arabia and most other middle East nations. Though the implementation might not be 100%. In fact, it's not. But for someone to say they're not following it at all, that's a blunder.
Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Hailedin9ja: 5:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
Whenever a crime or a haram act is committed by an islamic aristocrat these religious leaders rarely raise any concern. They never criticise or raise action.

It's not true and I'm sure you know that.

Re: Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? by Saluman(m): 5:02pm On Dec 15, 2012
Basic:
Man, you don't believe everything

You are free to correct me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Islam Forbids Contraceptive Pills? / What To Do Upon Seeing A Bad Dream? / The Correct Islamic Way To Follow Is Sectless

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.