Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,014 members, 7,814,460 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? (1674 Views)

5 Ways To Keep Your Memory Sharp / Using Bleaching Cream To Improve Your Appearance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2008
Is there anything that can be done to improve your memory? For a while now, words to describe things do not come easily to me compared to a couple of years ago. I have be like "what's that word again, what's that word again" to come up with sentences. I get frustrated at times because it's really annoying.
Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by holythug(m): 5:47pm On Feb 15, 2008
by an 8GB memory upgrade. . .it comes in capsules
Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by TOYOSI20(f): 7:17pm On Feb 15, 2008
I know doing cross-word puzzles help alot, because u are thinking and trying to be constructive.

Organize information, Write things down in address books and datebooks and on calendars; take notes on more

complex material and reorganize the notes into categories later. Use both words and pictures in learning information.

Understand and be able to interpret complex material. For more complex material, focus on understanding basic ideas

rather than memorizing isolated details. Be able to explain it to someone else in your own words.   

Rehearse information frequently and “overlearn”. Review what you’ve learned the same day you learn it, and at

intervals thereafter.

What researchers call “spaced rehearsal” is more effective than “cramming.” If you’re able to “over-

learn” information so that recalling it becomes second nature, so much the better.

Be motivated and keep a positive attitude. Tell yourself that you want to learn what you need to remember, and that

you can learn and remember it. Telling yourself you have a bad memory actually hampers the ability of your brain to

remember, while positive mental feedback sets up an expectation of success.

Good luck to u. wink
Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by almondjoy(f): 7:23am On Feb 17, 2008
stillwater:

Is there anything that can be done to improve your memory? For a while now, words to describe things do not come easily to me compared to a couple of years ago. I have be like "what's that word again, what's that word again" to come up with sentences. I get frustrated at times because it's really annoying.

I am trying to understand if you mean you do not recall people, places and events as opposed to being short of words to describe people, places and events.

If it is a memory problem--you might not be interested in what your are trying to work with at the moment.  I usually try to recall what I see and hear on a daily basis so I do not forget.  Have you ever wondered why people abroad can identify people they just met at a gas station?  When a crime is committed, an 80 year old woman from no where can give an ideal sketch of every person that crossed her street everyday? cool  I used to bother me that I could not even describe the person that stood next to me in a bank for like 10 minutes.  I just took a moment and studied them and sure enough a recognized them the next month if they showed up the next month. grin  I guess it is called memory training in being a "busy body".  But that is how most criminals are apprehended.  One person will call America's Most Wanted from China to report he or she saw a man or woman in question Jamaica when they visited just for 2 days.  Amazing!

I have learned to do that too.  If a see anything around me--I take a minute to study it and make a mental note just incase I may need it in the future.  I do that with cars too.  I try to memorize what every make and model looks like--as different from the others, when I am driving so that incase anything happens--just like ma oyinbo brothers and sisters a can demonstrate that I was aware of ma environment--not just an "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr--
I am not really sure kind of lost response". cool

But if it is a vocab problem, reading a lot helps.  Like the previous poster mentioned--you can never to wrong with crossword puzzles.  I used to do that a lot as a child. Watching documentaries also helps.  You may also get involved with healthy debates and dialogue ranging from religion to health.  The more you use words in speech and writing, the better you become.  Always worked for me.

Medically, I doubt if pills will do it.  I really do not like a lot of medications for treating simple problems in ma system. Doctors in the house may help you out.

Finally, fatigue may be a factor.  Make sure you are resting well and your mind is free from emotional clutter.

Goodluck. kiss
Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by amsky(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
Go get some gingko biloba. It's prescribed here in alternative medicine and some orthodox pills have got a bit of it too.
Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by Terminator: 11:33pm On Mar 01, 2011
I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
From what you described it looks more like Nominal Aphasia, though it could be a symptom of depression or been absent minded depending on the severity of the problem and the presence or absence of other symptoms like your mood or state of mind etc.
Nominal aphasia is due to damage to the Temporal and Parietal lobe of the brain especially the left hemisphere (the Brocas and Wernike areas).
Depression can also mimic this symptoms but clearly you have not stated any symptoms to show you have depression
It would be nice to hear more of the things that you are experiencing to be able to know whats the issue.
Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Improve Your Memory? by edmarker: 12:10am On Mar 05, 2011
Edmark's Ginseng Coffee will held you a great deal in this regard. It will help to sharpen your mind and memory and also improve your concentration if you have a problem in that aspect as well. It is a fantastic health product approved by NAFDAC and also has ISO 22000 certification. Of course caffeine has been dealt with so it is not in the class of regular coffees that are full of caffeine. Let me also add that it has an inviting aroma(once one person starts taking it in an office, the aroma attracts other people within and around the office and they get interested) and a great taste that you will enjoy as you take it, just as if you are taking any other regular beverage. It is complete in itself- no need to add milk or sugar. In fact, it has taken over from other brands of tea and coffee in many banks and offices in Nigeria. As you know people in banks and offices do a lot of mental work from morning till evening everyday and that can have its toll both mentally and physically over time. Also, it has become increasingly popular among University students because it helps them to remember more of what they read and it gives them mental and physical stamina to do a lot more reading and have more concentration while doing the reading. Among other health benefits it has, Edmark's Ginseng Coffee is also a great energy booster. You just need to try it for yourself. Call me on 08052914930 to get the product.

(1) (Reply)

Sex Everyday. / . / Differences Between A Psychopath And A Sociopath

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.