Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? (8011 Views)

Super Eagles Team Arrives Kaduna (photos) / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by pak: 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
- - - -
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by pak: 1:07pm On Dec 13, 2012
Abujafood: Mine would be;

Yekini and Kanu in Attack

Mid-field

Amunike left wing
Finidi George Right Wing
Okocha (Central Mid field)
Oliseh (Defensive mid field)

Defence

Left wing (Babayaro)
Right wing (Yobo)
Central (Uche Okechukwu and Taribo west)

Eyeama would be a better choice for goal keeper to Rufai

The rest of your team is very sensible but that bolded part is sinful. You deserve a sucker punch

Its like your memory ony stretches back to France '98. Did you see Maroc '88 and USA '94 at all ? Even Enyeama sef go bow.

Comparing Enyeama to Rufai is like comparing Abu Qaqa to Osama bin laden - You dey kwaze

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by VALIDATOR: 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2012
^^^
He probably got to watch Rufai when he was already on the decline. Old age things.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by naptu2: 1:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
pak:

The rest of your team is very sensible but that bolded part is sinful. You deserve a sucker punch

Its like your memory ony stretches back to France '98. Did you see Maroc '88 and USA '94 at all ? Even Enyeama sef go bow.

Comparing Enyeama to Rufai is like comparing Abu Qaqa to Osama bin laden - You dey kwaze

The penalty kicks at the semi-finals of Maroc '88 were like madness! I would say that in the late '80s/early '90s the only keepers that came close to Rufai in Africa were Edward Ansah of Ghana and Joseph Antoine Bell of Cameroun. Rufai is a legend!

Before France '98 NFA officials did not want Rufai to make it to the world cup. His name was not in the initial list. He was on his way to the Carribeans for his holiday when the NFA called him back. Ike Shorunmu had an injury, so Rufai was called in as replacement. The rest is history.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by pak: 2:27pm On Dec 13, 2012
Nightshift: Eagles best defence must have Yisa Shofoluwe, Bright Omokaro, Christain Chukwu (Stephen Keshi), with Emmanuel Okalla as goalkeeper.

Bright Omokaro, Ademola Adeshina, Sunday Eboigbe (and even Augustine Eguavon) were 'agberos', old school defenders. Butchers masqueraded as footballers.

Yisa Shofoluwe came about 20 years before his time. he was at that time consistently blamed for his laissez faire attitude as a defender, when in actual fact he was a modern wing back who played before the game evolved.

Wouldn't have been out of place in today's champion's league
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by naptu2: 2:29pm On Dec 13, 2012
There was a time that I would be gripped with fear anytime I saw Eguavoen's name on the team list. His name invokes the fear of red card.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by Chedarking: 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
Does anyone remember ABBEY GEORGE? grin grin grin

That Half-caste Albino wasn't half sh1t for us...
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by pak: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2012
@ the risk of sounding like a derailer . . . . .

To Naptu et al, I have created a sister thread for a world list.

https://www.nairaland.com/1131628/behold-greatest-football-team-ever

I'll also like you to drop your comments. My first team

1 Share

Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by Nightshift(m): 3:21pm On Dec 13, 2012
pak:

Bright Omokaro, Ademola Adeshina, Sunday Eboigbe (and even Augustine Eguavon) were 'agberos', old school defenders. Butchers masqueraded as footballers.

Yisa Shofoluwe came about 20 years before his time. he was at that time consistently blamed for his laissez faire attitude as a defender, when in actual fact he was a modern wing back who played before the game evolved.

Wouldn't have been out of place in today's champion's league
Those defenders you call "Agberos" were Eagles best in Nigeria's best world cup outing. Such are the kind of defenders who have made Italian defence the most dreaded, and the one everyone tries to emulate. Those '94 Eagles defence were well organized and tactical.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by idinc(m): 3:33pm On Dec 13, 2012
in Garba Lawal,we had a Ryan Giggs
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
naptu2:

Iroha was wonderful in that game Nigeria v Ivory Coast @ Tunisia '94. He took out Michel Basole without getting a red card and even scored a goal. I lost my voice on that day.
Michel Basole.... that man's face and goal celebration is ingrained to my brain. The guy almost finished naijeria for that semi final match....dat match wasn't funny at all.
naptu2: There was a time that I would be gripped with fear anytime I saw Eguavoen's name on the team list. His name invokes the fear of red card.
Haha, and he actually lived up to his name against Italy in USA 94.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by pak: 3:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
Nightshift: Those defenders you call "Agberos" were Eagles best in Nigeria's best world cup outing. Such are the kind of defenders who have made Italian defence the most dreaded, and the one everyone tries to emulate. Those '94 Eagles defence were well organized and tactical.

Are you that young ?
Of all the defenders mentioned above, only Eguavon was at the USA '94 world cup and how much did that cost us ?

one, he made a reckless challenge that mistakenly fetched an innocent Sunday Oliseh, a yellow card argentina.

two, and the most bitter, He just couldn't resist the wrestlemania urge in extra time against Italy so much so He pulled down an italian attacker in the box, the rest is history, Baggio scored the penalty and Nigeria was out of the mundial.

Please get your facts right
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by pak: 3:53pm On Dec 13, 2012
idinc: in Garba Lawal,we had a Ryan Giggs

one of the harmful effects of marijuana
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by Nightshift(m): 4:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
pak:

Are you that young ?
Of all the defenders mentioned above, only Eguavon was at the USA '94 world cup and how much did that cost us ?

one, he made a reckless challenge that mistakenly fetched an innocent Sunday Oliseh, a yellow card argentina.

two, and the most bitter, He just couldn't resist the wrestlemania urge in extra time against Italy so much so He pulled down an italian attacker in the box, the rest is history, Baggio scored the penalty and Nigeria was out of the mundial.

Please get your facts right
I still stand by my original pick - Shofoluwe, Omokaro, Chukwu, Keshi and Okalla. The other duo you mentioned were well known for their hard tackle during their days at New Nigeria Bank FC. Austin (whom you castigate) played well for Nigeria. If he was bad, i don't think he would have made it far. Moreover, a successful defence must be hard on attackers somewhat. As i have written, Italians combine their ruggedness in defence with tactical brilliance. Are you refuting that as well? Germans are also another example... Was it not Finidi who naively gave Italians the winning penalty in '94? He tackled an Italian from behind in the 18 yard box.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by blackmale1: 7:24pm On Dec 13, 2012
YOBO AND BABAYARO HAVE GOT NO BUSINESS IN THAT SQUAD
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by blackmale1: 7:27pm On Dec 13, 2012
pak:

one of the harmful effects of marijuana

grin ON POINT BROS
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by olamsaheed: 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2012
Why is oladimeji lawal missing in d list.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by naptu2: 9:06pm On Dec 13, 2012
smiley what would really make me happy is if people would compile their lists, rather than simply criticising others' lists. Like I said, Nigeria is blessed with abundant talent, so I would like to see who would be removed from the list and who would be added.

Reminds me of 1994 when Victor Ikpeba claimed that Clemens Westerhof hated him, that's why he always started him on the bench. I wondered who he thought he could bench, Amunike or Yekini.
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by tellwisdom: 9:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
Re: Is This The Best Green/Super Eagles Team Ever? by tck2000(m): 1:01pm On Jun 06, 2019
his

(1) (2) (Reply)

Medals Table At The Ongoing Commonwealth Games / Get #300 Free Bet, No Deposit / DO U TINK WE CAN WIN THIS WORLD CUP?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.