Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,899 members, 7,821,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy (678 Views)

Chris Oyakhilome Suspends Female Pastor For Blasphemy / Blasphemy Severs Link By Pastor Adeboye / Your Thoughts On This Sticker Of Bishop Oyedepo? Blasphemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 13, 2012

Human rights groups have called for the release of Alber Saber (left)

A court in Egypt had sentenced a blogger to three years in prison for blasphemy and contempt of religion.

Alber Saber was arrested in September after neighbours accused him of posting links to a film mocking Islam that led to protests across the Muslim world.

Mr Saber, an atheist from a Coptic Christian family, can appeal against the ruling if he pays $167 (£100) bail.

The case raises concerns over freedom of expression just as Egyptians are set to vote on a draft constitution.

Liberals, secularists and the Coptic Church have complained that the document fails to protect basic rights, and that the constituent assembly which approved the charter last month was dominated by Islamists.

'Critical statements'

Mr Saber was initially accused of circulating links to a 14-minute trailer for the film, Innocence of Muslims, which denigrates the Prophet Muhammad.

But he denied promoting the video and later faced charges relating to other statements critical of Islam and Christianity which police investigators allegedly found online and on his computer at his home.

Human rights groups have called for Mr Saber's release.

There has been a proliferation of prosecutions for blasphemy in Egypt in the nearly two years since Hosni Mubarak was overthrown. Many of those targeted are Copts, who make up about 10% of the population.

Although blasphemy has long been a criminal offence, Article 44 of the draft constitution contains a specific article prohibiting insulting prophets.

Human rights activists have warned that it is inherently contradictory to Articles 43 and 45, which guarantee freedom of belief and freedom of thought and opinion.

"Expect to see many more blasphemy prosecutions in the future now that it's embedded as a crime in the constitution," Heba Morayef, a researcher with Human Rights Watch, told the New York Times.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20695992
Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by Kay17: 8:36am On Dec 13, 2012
I don't understand these Islamists' problem. Can't they let others live in peace?!
Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by Alaafialoro(m): 8:42am On Dec 13, 2012
^^^ well,I don‘t think they will ever live without persecuting and troubling others. It runs in their blood. They tend to equate everything done against their religion as blasphemy.
Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 13, 2012
Ggod evening,
I do not support atheism and frankly, I believe they should have a change of heart and be converted. In as much as I believe this, I do not believe that anyone should be persecuted for whatever he or she practice. The freedom of every individual MUST be respected, irrespective of the individual's beliefs or lack of belief.

The case at hand is quite ridiculous. All they needed to hold this man were accusations, nothing concrete. As much as I believe in the freedom of expression, I also do not subscribe to people mocking or saying all soughts against anothers beliefs but this is not enough to arrest someone for, let alone prosecute the person. This is one of the reasons why some people are of the opinion that religion and politics should not go together.

The man sould be freed and every charge dropped against him.

Thank you!
Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by EvilBrain1(m): 9:12am On Dec 14, 2012
Kay 17: I don't understand these Islamists' problem. Can't they let others live in peace?!

No!
Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 14, 2012
And as usual, the muslims will mostly be silent on this issue.

Then some dubious apologists will come and say that it is not true "islam", thereby removing any shred of responsibility.

Religious people sometimes can be the most immoral people in the world

1 Like

Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:18am On Dec 14, 2012
Logicboy03: And as usual, the muslims will mostly be silent on this issue.
Then some dubious apologists will come and say that it is not true "islam", thereby removing any shred of responsibility.
Religious people sometimes can be the most immoral people in the world

you mean 99.99% of Muslims who constitute Peaceful Islamist? grin grin grin They never amount to much especially when most on NL are holed-up discussing peaceful stuff while their .01% Violent pubescent dolts account for 99.99% of Islamic-related violence the world over. These guys (religious folks) possess the unenviable quality of being able to hold 2 contradictory positions in one mind-space and not go insane; Politicians are also another group that are well versed in this art.

99.99% Muslims silently approve terrorism, female geni.tal-mutilation (guys are exempted.. go figure), honor killings (females especially), forceful conscription of females into the virgin academy for exploded suicide bombers grin grin and rap.e of innocent women (termed as adultery in those parts)
Re: Egypt Court Jails Atheist Blogger Alber Saber For Blasphemy by Nobody: 2:33am On Dec 15, 2012
The worst part is that the christians too do not care ecause it was an atheist that was prosecuted.

Imagine if it were a christian that got jailed. The numerous comments criticisng islam would e too much

(1) (Reply)

EBUKA!GOD IS GREAT / A Must Read!!! / 3500 Unification Church Members Marry in Korean Mass Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.