Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,538 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? (7656 Views)

3 Days After Our Wedding, My Wife Can't Stop Crying / Mysterious: Baby's Crying; Mother's Breast Wet / After 49 Years,Mother Reunites With The Daughter She Thought Died At Birth(PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by odunjoy1(m): 2:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
The coming of a baby into the family is a joy everyone always expect. What baffles me is that whenever a baby is born, the baby has to cry before people will be happy, when a baby do not cry, the nurses and the midwives will have to beat the baby and everyone will be scared until the cry or voice out.

Please is there any medical implication if a baby do not cry?

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Callotti: 2:38pm On Dec 14, 2012
Simply means the baby is normal and not neurologically impaired.
The absence of crying may signify brain damage. kiss

1 Like

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by odunjoy1(m): 2:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
accepted, but is it possible the baby is normal and do not cry?
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Callotti: 2:48pm On Dec 14, 2012
odun joy: accepted, but is it possible the baby is normal and do not cry?

No! Lack of oxygen or seizures in utero!
Rarely do you find a baby that does not cry and REMAINS NORMAL. kiss
Ask any baby doctor. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 14, 2012
Look at me smiling. I can't wait to hear those cries cool
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by greatgod2012(f): 3:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
Lol....
Babies use crying to announce their arrival into d world
"mowaa,mowaaa, mowaaaaa"......meaning.........
"i come, i come, i come"

3 Likes

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by k2039: 3:12pm On Dec 14, 2012
I didnt cry on birth until I got a pat on my back.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by odunjoy1(m): 3:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
greatgod2012: Lol....
Babies use crying to announce their arrival into d world
"mowaa,mowaaa, mowaaaaa"......meaning.........
"i come, i come, i come"

without the baby saying, does it mean the baby is not normal?
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by EfemenaXY: 3:16pm On Dec 14, 2012
k2039: I didnt cry on birth until I got a pat on my back.

I'm sure you remember all the details! smiley

odun joy: The coming of a baby into the family is a joy everyone always expect. What baffles me is that whenever a baby is born, the baby has to cry before people will be happy, when a baby do not cry, the nurses and the midwives will have to beat the baby and everyone will be scared until the cry or voice out.

Trust me, nothing is scarier than giving birth to a baby only to be greeted with silence. That cry is the best thing...better than music to the ears of all present - parents, family and medical staff. cheesy
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Caracta(f): 3:23pm On Dec 14, 2012
Cries of joy. It's not easy to be 'locked' up for 9 months. Must have been hot in there...no light, no ventilation, etc.

I also think the idea of being brought out from where the baby had been for 9 months, is another factor. The hands, sudden illumination from light, the squeezing out from a tiny hole, etc.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by sanchez4eva: 3:26pm On Dec 14, 2012
It is surprising that no reasonable answer has been given....The reason is simple...a baby crying at birth shows that the lungs are functioning....A baby does not breath on it's own in the mother's womb but after birth the baby has to breath with it's lungs...Dr Steve

1 Like

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Tsmooth1(m): 3:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
Usain Bolt, Messi, Roanaldo; All of them no cry during their birth and see wetin dem don become. Abeg all those thing na wash!

1 Like

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Dec 14, 2012
odun joy: The coming of a baby into the family is a joy everyone always expect. What baffles me is that whenever a baby is born, the baby has to cry before people will be happy, when a baby do not cry, the nurses and the midwives will have to beat the baby and everyone will be scared until the cry or voice out.

You are ONLINE, with access to millions of deposits when it comes to information, even of this sort. Why not do your own research to figure out the answer if you are really interested in the answer.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
Some babies may be born not breathing, and the underside of the feet is struck to make it cry, thereby drawing breath. It's not to make them cry, but BREATHE.

My first daughter didn't cry at birth, but she's perfectly fine. My second daughter gave just one cry, and she's fine too. I only hear that tale of non-crying babies at birth being "abnormal" in Nigeria. Never heard that here.

3 Likes

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by k2039: 4:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
Efemena_xy:

I'm sure you remember all the details! smiley

Trust me, nothing is scarier than giving birth to a baby only to be greeted with silence. That cry is the best thing...better than music to the ears of all present - parents, family and medical staff. cheesy
I got that from a reliable source, my mum.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Tobbie9(m): 5:18pm On Dec 14, 2012
Methinks the baby is already regretting being born a nigerian #just saying#
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Caracta(f): 5:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
Tobbie9: Methinks the baby is already regretting being born a nigerian #just saying#
Is it only nigerian babies that cry? What an intelligent comment! #just saying#
*winks*
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
The statistics of healthy babies that don't cry when they're taken ( with force) out from the womb either way into a very strange environment is very very slim say 2%.......

take trip to the ICU , you'd see when the baby starts to cry as a sign of response then he/ she is ready to go home( discharge) .....I know for a fact, no story.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by tpia1: 6:07pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
Siena is absolutely right.

And no, it is NOT a fact that a baby in the ICU is ready to go home once they start crying.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by rodeo0070(m): 6:11pm On Dec 14, 2012
There are all kinds of theories, but no
one knows for 100% certainty. Popular
theories are things like the trauma of
being pushed out, the sensation of
having to inflate their lungs with air, or
the change in temperature from 98.6 to
being thrust into a cold hospital
environment.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Caracta(f): 6:11pm On Dec 14, 2012
oh tpia...LMAOooo
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 14, 2012
ileobatojo: Siena is absolutely right.

And no, it is NOT a fact that a baby in the ICU is ready to go home once they start crying.

And can you please prove your point?
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by minute(f): 7:50pm On Dec 14, 2012
Several reasons:

The world is cold, The baby is used to the 98 degrees inside mommy.

It's very bright outside of mommy, usually pretty dark inside.

No longer nice and cuddly inside mommy, now stretched out and upside down
getting thrown all over the place and getting probed and checked out. Probably pretty scary.

If baby is not crying, usually means it's not breathing yet. This is the reason for the first
spank on the hiney. The main reason for the crying is to make sure the lungs work for the very
first time. Also helps expel any fluid or mucus the baby might have in the mouth or throat.
He now understands that there is no more water, that it has been replaced by air.

If the the baby does not cry automatically, the nurses and Doctor there can usually handle it
and the baby will be fine.

Conclusion: The birth process is not just hard on the mom, but on the baby too. Get used to it
little buddy. That's life on this planet.

2 Likes

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by LadyWinona: 6:59am On Dec 15, 2012
I am training to be a baby doctor and out of all the births I've attended, I rarely see a normal baby dt does not cry. To be on the safe side, even when all its vital signs are stable, the baby is still sent to the special care baby unit to be carefully monitored. It's better to be safe than sorry. I guess all I'm trying to say is that crying is one of the most singular parameters to judge whether the baby is biologically equipped to survive in its extra uterine environment. A lack of cry can suggest many things, the lungs, brain and the oral cavity can be impaired, cold stress, hypoglycemia, birth asphyxia, hypoxic encephalopathy, meningitis or tetanus if the cry is abnormal. The list is endless. In summary, u want ur baby to CRY. His or her life might just depend on it.

1 Like

Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 15, 2012
So @winona you are a medical intern/resident in paediatrics to be precise?

A baby has to cry shikena !
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by dominique(f): 7:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
Shuoo...see qweshun undecided
Poster, if you didn't cry @ birth, you wouldn't be here asking jamb question.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 15, 2012
dominique: Shuoo...see qweshun undecided
Poster, if you didn't cry @ birth, you wouldn't be here asking jamb question.

That's where you're not getting it, Dom. Not every "normal" baby cries at birth.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 15, 2012
Either the baby cries on its own naturally or the cry is forced by the nurses...... The baby has to cry.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 15, 2012
Siena:

That's where you're not getting it, Dom. Not every "normal" baby cries at birth.

Exactly. The baby needs to breathe. That's the point. The cry is just one sign used to assess the baby's breathing status. A good strong cry is optimal because those big breaths taken with crying help fill the lungs with air. However, there are levels below that which may be acceptable.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by dominique(f): 4:29am On Dec 16, 2012
Siena:

My point exactly. Poster shouldn't be so curious about why babies cry at birth, he should be glad he did wink.
Re: Baby Crying At Birth. WHY? by Blazay(m): 8:18am On Dec 16, 2012
Lady Winona: I am training to be a baby doctor and out of all the births I've attended, I rarely see a normal baby dt does not cry. To be on the safe side, even when all its vital signs are stable, the baby is still sent to the special care baby unit to be carefully monitored. It's better to be safe than sorry. I guess all I'm trying to say is that crying is one of the most singular parameters to judge whether the baby is biologically equipped to survive in its extra uterine environment. A lack of cry can suggest many things, the lungs, brain and the oral cavity can be impaired, cold stress, hypoglycemia, birth asphyxia, hypoxic encephalopathy, meningitis or tetanus if the cry is abnormal. The list is endless. In summary, u want ur baby to CRY. His or her life might just depend on it.

AMEN! kiss

Thank our stars for people who work PROFESSIONALLY WITH CHILDREN! kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Black Man And White Women: Always Problems / Should A Working Couple Split The Bills? / Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.