Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction (951 Views)

Career/how Did You Get Your Present Job. / GEOPHYSICS AS A Career.how Marketable Is It? / IT Career, How Usefull (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 5:03am On Dec 15, 2012
Hello everyone, are you addicted to Nairaland?
is it ruining your career?
are you spending valuable time on Nairaland instead of on other financially rewarding pursuits?
Do you want to be free from this addiction?

I'll give you tips on how you can rid yourself of this addiction
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 5:14am On Dec 15, 2012
Step 1: Ensure that you are not following a crowd

If you are following a large number of people on NL, you will always be tempted to read their write ups
You could be at the office daydreaming of what Ishilove, physicsqed, Seun, Naptu2, Ajanlekoko and 60 more must have written while you where away

It is worse when you are following prolific writer/commentators who make interesting comments on every article that he or she reads on NL
When you smile sheepishly while at your desk, everyday at the office, then I guess its time to shake off the NL addiction

Solution
-If you're following a crowd, the solution might be to gradually 'loose them and let them go'
unfollow some of them. one Nairalender at a time sad
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 5:34am On Dec 15, 2012
Step 2 Minimise your comments on thread

When you make comments in NL threads, the topic automatically pops up as a 'followed topic' when anyone makes additional comments
This pulls you to want to have a view of the latest commentaries/thinking in that thread

You might also find that you are curious to know what others might have made of your comments
This could mean you'd be reading through loads of comments
searching for any reference to you or your posts

Solution
- subdue your impulse to make comments on many threads
- unfollow some silly topics -'why do girls have no P.P's'- that you had previously made comments on
- instead of reading through every post looking for reactions to your comments, simply do a 'ctrl F' on your keypad
type in a part of your name eg ('eser' instead of 'esere826') or comment and then click to search.
Do this on every page, and you would quickly see views on your comments
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by ecolime(m): 9:11am On Dec 15, 2012
You are right bro. Nairaland is quite addictive.
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 9:21am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: Step 1: Ensure that you are not following a crowd

If you are following a large number of people on NL, you will always be tempted to read their write ups
You could be at the office daydreaming of what Ishilove, physicsqed, Seun, Naptu2, Ajanlekoko and 60 more must have written while you where away

It is worse when you are following prolific writer/commentators who make interesting comments on every article that he or she reads on NL
When you smile sheepishly while at your desk, everyday at the office, then I guess its time to shake off the NL addiction

Solution
-If you're following a crowd, the solution might be to gradually 'loose them and let them go'
Buhahahahahahahahahahahahah!!

You are a case! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 9:28am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: Hello everyone, are you addicted to Nairaland?
YES sad
esere826:
is it ruining your career?
Hell no
esere826: are you spending valuable time on Nairaland instead of on other financially rewarding pursuits?
Err...somehow sha sad
esere826:
Do you want to be free from this addiction?
O YES!!!!! sad sad
esere826:
I'll give you tips on how you can rid yourself of this addiction
Okay sad
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 9:30am On Dec 15, 2012
Step 3 Minimise the number of threads you open

Yep. it takes a lot of man hours for you to initiate a thread -especially if you actually put some thinking into it
(much easier if your thoughts-to-action life-cycle is GiGo -Garbage in, Garbage out)

When you intitiate a thread, there is a tendency for you to constantly check on that thread. its almost like your baby.
you might see yourself constantly rereading what you and other commentator wrote on the thread.
driving off throlls and derailers, refocussing the arguments etc
Like Narcissus, you might even see yourself counting towards a targetted number of hits on your thread smiley

All of this ends up taking valuable time. Imagine spending your entire Saturday every week on NL instead of studying for your ACCA. Jeez!!! get a life

Solution
-minimize the number of threads you initiate
-grow out of counting the number of hits (views) on your thread
-get a real life, not an e-life
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 9:51am On Dec 15, 2012
Step 4 Avoid fights in Nairaland like a plague

You know those fights you get into in NL
Fights about English language, folks papa and mama being the cause of your opponents genetically shaped stupidity etc
Well, they have a way of tieing you down to Nairaland.

You might see yourself in the office seething over the last written comment made by your opponent,
while mentally crafting the right insults/curse to hurl at him at the place it hurts most
You might also see yourself checking the thread regularly for cursing and swearing updates from your opponnent
PyschoAnalysing him/her by searching previous posts dating all the way back to 2006
*SMH*

You might soon start stalking your opponents around the entire forum threads
looking for where you can give him a deadly blow. Smash his head once and for all
(Can you just imagine what your life has become on NL!!)

Solution
-Avoid fights on NL
-Quickly curse your opponent with as much passion as possible and unfollow the thread
-Do not look back on the thread as Lot's wife did and turned to a pillar of salt
-See a doctor. I am serious

2 Likes

Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 9:53am On Dec 15, 2012
@ishilove

my swearie. how now?
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 9:58am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: Step 1:

Solution
-the solution might be to gradually 'loose them and let them go'
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I can't, I just CAN'T!!!!!! cry cry

*snot dripping, lips quivering*
Do you realise what that would . . .do . . .to me?? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! shocked shocked
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 10:08am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: Step 3 Minimise the number of threads you open

Yep. it takes a lot of man hours for you to initiate a thread -especially if you actually put some thinking into it
(much easier if your thoughts-to-action life-cycle is GiGo -Garbage in, Garbage out)

When you intitiate a thread, there is a tendency for you to constantly check on that thread. its almost like your baby.
you might see yourself constantly rereading what you and other commentator wrote on the thread.
driving off throlls and derailers, refocussing the arguments etc
Like Narcissus, you might even see yourself counting towards a targetted number of hits on your thread smiley

All of this ends up taking valuable time. Imagine spending your entire Saturday every week on NL instead of studying for your ACCA. Jeez!!! get a life

Solution
-minimize the number of threads you initiate
-grow out of counting the number of hits (views) on your thread
-get a real life, not an e-life
Jeez,I'm not THIS addicted! undecided
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 10:11am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: @ishilove

my swearie. how now?
M good dear.

This whole thread is an indication of how addicted you are to NL. You are a junkie. You need rehab,pronto! Sheesh.
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 10:11am On Dec 15, 2012
Step 5 Do not fall e love

Try not to fall in elove on the NL thread
It is almost as dangerous as the real thing but without the associated physical pleasures
It saps you energy thinking about that guy or gurl who only mentally exists

Probably wa#k if you have to, but please don't get distracted by emotional inexcusables in the electronic world
Imagine a guy chasing after an e-girl for say 2 years, then discovering that the e-girl was actually always a guy
Love is capable of distracting you on its own. Why heap on more torment with e-love, e-flowers, e-sex etc

Solution
-exchange phone numbers and call quickly to ascertaing true s.ex and interests
-Muster enough courage to toast your neighbours daughter. Its more healthy
- it is not all that e-glitters that is gold. She/he might actually be a hermit leaving in a cage in real life. with drooping boobs or a little pp.

You really need to stay focussed on your career. Avoid em

1 Like

Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 10:13am On Dec 15, 2012
Ishilove:
M good dear.

This whole thread is an indication of how addicted you are to NL. You are a junkie. You need rehab,pronto! Sheesh.

I do O.
Make I tok true
But I don dey break am now sha
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 10:14am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: Step 4 Avoid fights in Nairaland like a plague

You know those fights you get into in NL
Fights about English language, folks papa and mama being the cause of your opponents genetically shaped stupidity etc
Well, they have a way of tieing you down to Nairaland.

You might see yourself in the office seething over the last written comment made by your opponent,
while mentally crafting the right insults/curse to hurl at him at the place it hurts most
You might also see yourself checking the thread regularly for cursing and swearing updates from your opponnent
PyschoAnalysing him/her by searching previous posts dating all the way back to 2006
*SMH*

You might soon start stalking your opponents around the entire forum threads
looking for where you can give him a deadly blow. Smash his head once and for all
(Can you just imagine what your life has become on NL!!)

Solution
-Avoid fights on NL
-Quickly curse your opponent with as much passion as possible and unfollow the thread
-Do not look back on the thread as Lot's wife did and turned to a pillar of salt
-See a doctor. I am serious

A good e-cuss fest is very invigorating, but I have never let it get to the point where I trace the persons post history. Mbanu, the tin no hold me to that extent.

Esere, sweerie, you need help. Seriously.
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 10:30am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826:

I do O.
Make I tok true
But I don dey break am now sha
I hear you tongue
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 10:33am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826: Step 5 Do not fall e love

Try not to fall in elove on the NL thread
It is almost as dangerous as the real thing but without the associated physical pleasures
It saps you energy thinking about that guy or gurl who only mentally exists

Probably wa#k if you have to, but please don't get distracted by emotional inexcusables in the electronic world
Imagine a guy chasing after an e-girl for say 2 years, then discovering that the e-girl was actually always a guy
Love is capable of distracting you on its own. Why heap on more torment with e-love, e-flowers, e-sex etc

Solution
-exchange phone numbers and call quickly to ascertaing true s.ex and interests
-Muster enough courage to toast your neighbours daughter. Its more healthy
- it is not all that e-glitters that is gold. She/he might actually be a hermit leaving in a cage in real life. with drooping boobs or a little pp.

You really need to stay focussed on your career. Avoid em
Confess. Who is that e-girl you have fallen in e-love with? grin
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 10:59am On Dec 15, 2012
Step 6 Review -Watch your 'followed topics' whittle

Yep, after fighting the good fight
you will soon notice that the updated threads that you are following gets fewer and fewer by the day
Now you know you are truelly free
free enough to flee from seductresses and temptresses

Its time to pick the pieces of your life and reinvigorate your career
fill up your now empty moments with seminars, reading HBR and McKinsey quartely
stay ahead of the curve

The only problem is that now u've already tasted the forbidden fruit
you are now a socially charged and changed animal having tasted the excesses of NL
You now know that some humans are way ahead of the curve,
whilst others are em. ...chewing the chord

You've followed the steps, now you are free (or free-er) from the addiction of NL
but still connected by an umblical chord to the forum because u dropped some of your best ideas in it
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 11:01am On Dec 15, 2012
Ishilove:
Confess. Who is that e-girl you have fallen in e-love with? grin

ishilove, na u
my body convulses when I e-think about you

1 Like

Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 15, 2012
Viewing this topic: esere826

cheesy look who's talking.
lol, gotta admit falling e-inlove on NL gives a great kick. Some utterly attractive girls on here, abi is it all in my head?
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 11:33am On Dec 15, 2012
BoboYekini: Viewing this topic: esere826

lol, gotta admit falling e-inlove on NL gives a great kick. Some utterly attractive girls on here, abi is it all in my head?

na ya head im dey grin
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by esere826: 11:34am On Dec 15, 2012
BoboYekini: Viewing this topic: esere826

lol,

I am in step 6 -reviewing
Re: Refocus your Career: How To Kick Out Nairaland Addiction by Ishilove: 11:49am On Dec 15, 2012
esere826:

ishilove, na u
my body convulses when I e-think about you
Ohhhhhhh. My body dey do me mie mie cheesy

(1) (Reply)

ICAN Examination Result(last Diet) / 7 Practical Ways To Get Work Experience Without Having A Full Time Job / 3 Reasons Why You Should Follow Your Passion!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.