Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

"You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo (21409 Views)

Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / Latest About Wonder Banks As Sanusi Takes Over Cbn Shame To Soludo / Cbn Revalues Naira, N20 To Be Highest Bill, Many Thanks To Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

"You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 17, 2008
CENTRAL Bank governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, may have incurred the wrath of the elders in the music industry with his on-going campaign against spraying of money at parties. The campaign which claims violation could land people in jail has become a source of worry, especially to musicians who depend on such spaying for survival. At the head of the protest against the new order is Otunba Sunday Adegeye a.k.a. King Sunny Ade, KSA, who stated that spraying is our way of life and part of our culture.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2444&Itemid=42

Could somebody tell me why KSA was not ashamed to publicly challange Soludo on this new law? angry  Or is spraying naira notes really our culture? If it is, is it not a very dirty culture we should abolish as Soludo is advocating?  "Nigeria" is in trouble. cry

1 Like

Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by vowiski(m): 4:00pm On Feb 17, 2008
don't mind the VODOO economist jare.
GO! spray money, its in you.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by angel101(f): 4:08pm On Feb 17, 2008
Wont owambe's just be boring without spraying?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2008
Nairaland; Where educated people rationalise illegalities. . .

KSA should be arrested and charged with inciting the public to breach the law. How can a law enforced by Nigerian security agencies be challenged with the 'culture' angle?

Some tribes in Nigeria can talk about days when human sacrifice was part of their culture. Does that give them the right to go use one of KSA's sons for ritual?

Pathetic
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by 4Play(m): 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2008
Our culture? When did we start using currency notes in this part of the world anyway?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 17, 2008
vowiski:

don't mind the VODOO economist jare.
GO! spray money, its in you.

Unfortunately for you and KSA, spraying money has never been part of me. I have always seen it as a dirty act.

Thanks for the new law.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by ow11(m): 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2008
4 Play:

Our culture? When did we start using currency notes in this part of the world anyway?

I wonder!!!

Don't mind KSA, these money miss road people will always support spraying money since its the only way they can continue to intimidate and oppress the poor in the land. How can an educated person support spraying currency notes in this day when everything is going digital.Maybe in 2020 people will be throwing their debit/credit cards at parties! cheesy
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Feb 17, 2008
Hold up!!! I am puzzled here. What evil does sparing one's own money pose to other's around or even the Nigerian economy?? ?? ?? Chemicals in the money contaminate those the paper money lands on Diseases are passed around easily through spraying of money?? I mean what exactly is the reason for this law and how did it become a law Money spraying is not really of the yoruba culture alone. I mean it even happens here in some places in America. People have a right to choose to spray their own money the way they want. Why is it labeled a crime to do so in Nigeria??

Heck, even I want to challenge the law cause I believe it is silly. How much of the billions of notes that get circulated each year in that country, we need a law against the few thousands or millions that get trampled? Like those notes are worse than the notes that are rumpled up each year by bus drivers, students, traders etc. Heck, are those "sprayed and trampled" notes worse than the oil stained notes mamaputs handle each day?? jeeezzz!!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Bhola(f): 7:55pm On Feb 17, 2008
Kobo, I am equally confused.

Useless people, instead of them to pass correct laws, na stupid things dem go dey concentrate on.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by angel101(f): 8:01pm On Feb 17, 2008
Abuse of the naira is what has been banned and apparently, spraying constitutes abuse. wink
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by trancophon: 8:03pm On Feb 17, 2008

Don't mind KSA, these money miss road people will always support spraying money since its the only way they can continue to intimidate and oppress the poor in the land. How can an educated person support spraying currency notes in this day when everything is going digital.Maybe in 2020 people will be throwing their debit/credit cards at parties! cheesy

Now that's cheeky! smiley
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On Feb 17, 2008
angel101:

Abuse of the naira is what has been banned and apparently, spraying constitutes abuse. wink

Wait ,  let me get this straight,  Abuse of the Naira is what has been banned. How is spraying them equated to abuse of the Naira?? I mean the processing of spraying itself does not in any way abuse the Naira unless you can show me how. From the article, it is the FEW notes that get trampled that constitute abuse.

Let me dig deep into this. If I spray Naira 100,000 and Naira 1000(1%) get's trampled, it is just for Soludo to ban Spraying completely?? WOW ,  LMAO!!!! LORD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL. So instead of trying to improve on the material we use to make our Naira, IF there is a problem with it's durability, we should instead work to deprive the people of their right to spray their own hard earned money??

And then again, What about the many notes that are abused each day when mishandled by Nigerians daily. Should we then ban the handling of Naira completely since some folks do not handle it well then?? Do you realize how it still does not make sense that SPRAYING OF THE NAIRA is being targetted but the many other activities out that expose the bills to other kinds of abuse do not fall victim to the same law?? Cooking does not abuse the Naira but many a Naira bills are abused by the cooks in many mama put kitchens around that country. Putting the Naira in your wallet does not abuse the Naira bill but many people mishandle the bill in their attempt to put it in their wallets/bras/underwears,  so,  why does the law not target all but focus on sprayers in this case Heck,  might as well make the money out of steel so it is not "ABUSED" LMAO!!!!

HUMAN beings are being abused daily in that country, from North to south but no,  what we need is laws to give the Naira note more rights than the people who even use it have. We have been stripped of our right to spray our own hard earned money as we choose but the Naira has gained a right over us in that area,  NA WA OOOO!!!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by doyin13(m): 8:37pm On Feb 17, 2008
You cannot legislate such perceived moral corruptions away.

Enforcing it for one will only raise more problems.

And the ubiquity of 'spraying' points to its popularity- - - - - -it might be on the back burner for a while
but as soon as legislative attention shifts to another cultural arena. . . it will make a comeback.

And I don't understand for the life of me why KSA cannot be allowed to make what is, as far as I can tell
a harmless comment on a piece of law.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by vowiski(m): 8:40pm On Feb 17, 2008
any other law? pls
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by presido1: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2008
So they will not spread me on my wedding day? They are joking grin grin grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by angel101(f): 9:14pm On Feb 17, 2008
presido1:

lol brother i share ur sentiments o! y na when e reach my turn dem wan ban spraying.

@ kobojunkie
all those other forms of abuse have equally been banned (rightly or otherwise) however, the enforcement is a diff ball game altogether. I wonder how soludo plans to enforce these bans cos i tell u i have been to parties in lagos where naira was sprayed (since the supposed ban)
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Feb 17, 2008
angel101:

lol brother i share your sentiments o! y na when e reach my turn them wan ban spraying.

@ kobojunkie
all those other forms of abuse have equally been banned (rightly or otherwise) however, the enforcement is a diff ball game altogether. I wonder how soludo plans to enforce these bans because i tell u i have been to parties in lagos where naira was sprayed (since the supposed ban)

You mean mamaput has been banned from mistakenly rubbing oil on her naira notes?? the old woman down the street from our place has been banned from putting her money in her bra and soaking up in all her sweat ?? HOW this I  got to know,  how is this ban enforced?? I mean how many people have been arrested so far for this??
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Dreloaded(f): 9:29pm On Feb 17, 2008
KSA and co get a good part of their entertainment money from spraying. So what exactly is wrong with his comment again? The man wants to eat, na crime?

Anyway this so called "law" isnt going anywhere.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by janami(f): 11:26pm On Feb 17, 2008
i am yet to see any seriousness in these our leaders.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 17, 2008
Can we start spraying kobo coins? cheesy That if if they still exist.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by BlackMamba(m): 5:08am On Feb 18, 2008
Spraying money on people in public is a stupid act that I detest. But, you can't legislate against stupidity. The only acceptable spraying is for strip dancers, which is understandable.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 18, 2008
BlackMamba:

Spraying money on people in public is a stupid act that I detest. But, you can't legislate against stupidity. The only acceptable spraying is for strip dancers, which is understandable.

Stuffing a naira bill into some woman's @#$@# is worst. She is either condemned as women are quick to contracting diseases or the next person that touches the money is finished. Some people will tell you better. grin
Oyah, over to you A, grin
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by davidif: 6:02am On Feb 18, 2008
thank you kobojunkie, you sound like one of the few correct people making sense in this thread don't mind the others. I am so angry to beging to respond to some of the people on this thread, but i would only talk to you kobo. Must we always live like westerners, here in yanki, naija people spray money at weddings and you have this @#*&* talking nonsense here. You guys should just shut up.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by tollu: 6:12am On Feb 18, 2008
presido1:

Sure you will get 'spread', by your wife and in your bed!  tongue

Kobojunkie:

You mean mamaput has been banned from mistakenly rubbing oil on her naira notes?? the old woman down the street from our place has been banned from putting her money in her bra and soaking up in all her sweat ?? HOW this I  got to know,  how is this ban enforced?? I mean how many people have been arrested so far for this??

Arrests might not have been made yet but HUGE awareness has been created and that is what really matters in the first place.
Spraying of the currency is 'one kain' but i love it. An owambe just isn't one without it. I won't miss it though, it makes you spend stupidly the thing be like weed.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 6:14am On Feb 18, 2008
davidif:

thank you kobojunkie, you sound like one of the few correct people making sense in this thread don't mind the others. I am so angry to beging to respond to some of the people on this thread, but i would only talk to you kobo. Must we always live like westerners, here in yanki, naija people spray money at weddings and you have this @#*&* talking nonsense here. You guys should just shut up.

You said you were only going to talk to Kobo; but you ended up not only talking to the rest of us but insulting us. All because we are surpporting a law that will make us and our economy healthy.

Keep the insults coming if it's the only way you find happiness. Enjoy. wink
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 6:19am On Feb 18, 2008
tollu:

Sure you will get 'spread', by your wife and in your bed!  tongue

Arrests might not have been made yet but HUGE awareness has been created and that is what really matters in the first place.
Spraying of the currency is 'one kain' but i love it. An owambe just isn't one without it. I won't miss it though, it makes you spend stupidly the thing be like weed.

I will wait to see how this one goes down cause I think it is ridiculous to deprive people the right to spend their own money the way they want to spend it or throw it. It is not for everyone. Actually, I do not the party kind myself and would not be found at an owambe party if I could help it but I do not see any substantial logic to this ban. I think it is ridiculous and rids people of their right for some stupid reason. And no, it does not help in curbing corruption in any way( just incase someone is planning on bringing that up as possible motive for this ridiculous law). Nigerians are not the only ones who spray money.

Other countries deal with the same issues. Hows about we try to print notes that are more durable than we have now?? That will save us money in the long run actually. Did the people agree to this law or something In america alone millions of dollars are sprayed each night in night clubs all over the country, even some of that trampled just as in the case of Nigeria. You do not see Bernanke coming out to call for a ban on that, do you??  How in the world does banning spraying and what not help boost the Nigerian economy?? A Cleaner Note makes for a healthier economy LMAO!!! , Wait , wait, wait, the cleaner our naira bills are, the happier we will be?? LMAO!!! who swallowed that oneLMAO!!!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 6:24am On Feb 18, 2008
tollu:

Spraying of the currency is 'one kain' but i love it. An owambe just isn't one without it.

This is the major reason why most people will kick against the new law in Nigeria. Not for any genuine purpose.
I feel you guys though, but we should also think about the other side.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 6:25am On Feb 18, 2008
nuzo:

This is the major reason why most people will kick against the new law in Nigeria. Not for any genuine purpose.
I feel you guys though, but we should also think about the other side.

Pray tell, what are these others sides
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 6:38am On Feb 18, 2008
Sometimes the government have little or no choice than to make some laws even when it has to trample on some stupid acts. Nigeria will not be the first to do this and this is one of such laws the laws.
Nigerians are not the only people who spray money, but our own case has become horrible. Most times in our own case, it's on the ground.
For the records, the government spends more than the actual value of 50 naira denomination down to 5 naira in minting. If avoiding that cost for a long time does not boost the economy, then am afraid something is wrong somewhere.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by HotFunmi1(f): 8:19am On Feb 18, 2008
Spraying money is the most stupid act I've ever seen since the invention of paper money. It's an ostentatious culture that came into play God knows when and genuinely practiced by any doufous with money. The US is a complex multicultural society and I've never seen people, even Bill Gates spraying money. If money spraying is our culture, I may excuse that but whomever started that stupid thing practiced mostly by Southern Nigerians is a complete buffon.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by texazzpete(m): 8:30am On Feb 18, 2008
davidif:

Kobojunkie:

Pray tell, what are these others sides
next time any of you say there's somethign wrong with Nigeria, know that the rot starts with people like you who put their personal comfort over sensible laws designed to save unneccesary wastage of governnment funds.
Sprayed money invariably gets trampled on in Nigeria more often than not. trampling money wears it down and damages it. Damaged money has to be destroyed and reprinted by the Nigerian Government using taxpayers money. Can't you guys see that?

@Kobo
AFAIk YOu do not live or work in Nigeria, so you do not pay taxes to the Nigerian Government. People like myself do, and it's irksome to see taxpayers money wasted in destroying and reprinting naira notes just to make you and your buddies happier. You live in a country where the concept of 'taxpayer's money' is highly revered, so why the double standard?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 18, 2008
the truly funny thing about spraying money is that it cannot actually be said to be in our culture, when you consider the fact that nigerians/africans did not invent paper money.

paper money is a concept that colonizers brought to nigeria

that said, the who preservation of the naira thing may have good intentions, but it will simply devolv into another avenue for police to harass nigerians. can you imagine the true scope of the acts that can be defined as abusing the naira? putting money in my pocket, putting money in the glove compartment in the car. . . spraying money may rank at the top, but in the end, everyone is guilty of abusing the naira. the police that will enforce the law, do they pack those n20, n20 neatly away in wallets?

come to think of it -  soludo must have forgeotten to include 'carting the naira in ghana must go'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Banks Seek Buyers As CBN Floods Market With Forex / Anything You Want From The Alaba International Market ? / Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.