Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,435 members, 7,830,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Why Do Nigerians Count Their Money At ATM? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Count Their Money At ATM? (639 Views)

How Did Spraying Money At Parties Become Part of What We Call Our Culture? / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Count Their Money At ATM? by Rapmoney(m): 11:25am On Dec 17, 2012
I have observed that Nigerians, including the highly educated, count their money in front of the ATM whenever they go to withdraw. Is it possible for the ATM to issue a customer an amount that is below what they requested? I believe this act or practice comes from the fact that we no longer trust one another talk more of our institutions. Corruption and fraud have been institutionalized in our everyday life. People have this lack of trust in the banks that the marchines might short-pay them even when it is clear that the marchines are programmed!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Count Their Money At ATM? by ifyalways(f): 11:41am On Dec 17, 2012
My own question is;in the event that one is short-paid, what next
Reject the money and feed it back to the machine, make a video, call the security as witness,report to the bank, fight the atm ?! cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Count Their Money At ATM? by anonymous6(f): 4:48pm On Dec 17, 2012
Rapmoney: I have observed that Nigerians, including the highly educated, count their money in front of the ATM whenever they go to withdraw. Is it possible for the ATM to issue a customer an amount that is below what they requested? I believe this act or practice comes from the fact that we no longer trust one another talk more of our institutions. Corruption and fraud have been institutionalized in our everyday life. People have this lack of trust in the banks that the marchines might short-pay them even when it is clear that the marchines are programmed!!!

You answered the question, Nigerians don't trust anybody with their money, and that includes banks to a extent because of the reasons you mentioned. So in cases they are short changed by the ATM, they can complain immediately, especially if the ATM is beside a bank affiliated with it but if is not then counting money in front of a ATM is a waste of time. For some weird reason I always go to a ATM beside a bank just in case, and I wasn't even raised and born in Nigeria, so I must add that I feel it is more then a Nigerian thing because I have seen Indians and some whites do the samething
Re: Why Do Nigerians Count Their Money At ATM? by tpia1: 4:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
security alert.

(1) (Reply)

Zangbeto Video / Day Or A Week Old Babies For Sales. / So It Is True That 90% Of Bayelsa Women Are The Bread Winners - Gov Dickson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.