Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification (10562 Views)

Drivers' License Expiration Is Now "5 Years" Says Federal Government / New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / FRSC To Enforce New Drivers’ Licence, Number Plate, Aug. 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Fatdon(m): 7:32pm On Dec 18, 2012
FRSC Launches New Drivers’ License That Requires Medical Verification

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has launched the new commercial drivers’ license with security features that require a mandatory medical certification of drivers before issuance.

According to the Corps Marshall of the commission, Mr Osita Chidoka, the new license has security features, intelligence camera and biometrics that will mandate a medical certification for all commercial drivers before issuance.

He noted that the new license will be issued to commercial drivers after verified medical certificates on hearing and eyesight.

Hypertension and blood sugar level among other requirements.

Statistics reeled out by the Corps Marshall showed that up to 40 per cent of road accidents between 2007 and 2010 across the country resulted to almost 13,000 deaths involving commercial drivers.

This is the reason for the launch of the new commercial drivers’ license that will require all commercial drivers to present their medical verification before being issued the new license.

Also to be mandated for commercial drivers is a compulsory standard driving school check and a yearly retraining programme to be handled by the drivers’ unions.

The issuance of new drivers’ licenses will commence immediately as stated by the FRSC, while all old licenses will be phased out by September 2013.

This new developments was welcomed by key players in the transport sector such as president, National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) Alhaji Najeem Yasin and the Special Assistant to the Minister of Transport, Dikko Bala.

The Corps Marshall said other categories of licenses will also be released shortly.

It is believed that when fully in use, the new license will build a good data base of drivers and vehicles and help curb the high rate of accidents involving commercial vehicles in the country.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/12/17/frsc-launches-new-drivers-license-that-requires-medical-verification/
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by ebamma3: 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2012
Na naija be dis if u part with a few bucks to a road safety marshal your medical records will be certified O.K
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Coefficient(m): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2012
Ok, thanks.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Bantino(m): 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
If implemented, it will help.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Iaz93: 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
Okay.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by MrNigeria2(m): 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2012
speaking in CHINESE LANGUAGE
...... sumting is wong
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Basic(m): 9:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
Medically certified or not, whoever will die in a road accident surely will!
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by collins123(m): 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
With 3,500 naira, I go get a confirm nigerian driver's license wey get every information needed. All tested okay and confirmed.

Even if I get HIV, High Blood Pressure, AIDS, I am good to go.

Only who go know go know.

I mature pass dat one.

2 Likes

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
These folks always reason from the wrong end
Most traffic accidents in nigeria are a result if two things

1. Bad roads
2. Drunk driving

Eliminate those two, accidents will decrease

Anyone who has travelled with luxurious bus will tell you how the drivers at Ore or Obollo afor will eat one hefty bowl of akpu and drink 3 bottles of chilled Gulder and then get behind the wheels
High BP And diabetes are not the problem
Not that those couldn't be falsified too
Rubbish
Most Nigerian drivers especially commercial drivers drive drunk and impaired and have no business on the road

7 Likes

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by lakesider(m): 9:14pm On Dec 18, 2012
Basic: Medically certified or not, whoever will die in a road accident surely will!
. U are one of the reasons nigeria is as it is today.

4 Likes

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by tpia1: 9:18pm On Dec 18, 2012
Did they specify which hospitals should do the verification?
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by gen2briz(m): 9:18pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hummm naija my contry.....new day new policy
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Sunymoore(m): 9:20pm On Dec 18, 2012
At last they want to prevent ppl with AIDS to stop driving, nawaoh. This is not fair
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by sylve11: 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hahaha. Anyone dem wan do make dem do. cool
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Rastamann: 9:24pm On Dec 18, 2012
Na Niaja we dey o! All these things na for paper. FRSC go don go into agreement with some of tis doctors to dey issue medical certificate for commercial drivers for a fee. I dey laugh o!
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 18, 2012
jokers
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by SisiKill1: 9:29pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hypertension and blood sugar level among other requirements.

Aww! I don't think it is fair to penalize people for something the driving conditions caused.

Who won't be hypertensive and have high blood sugar levels after being stuck in 5 hours traffic with nothing to calm your frayed nerves but Lacasera. . .everyday. sad

4 Likes

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by SimplyAlfy: 9:31pm On Dec 18, 2012
With 3,500 naira, I go get a confirm nigerian driver's license wey get every information needed. All tested okay and confirmed.

I mature pass dat one.

For real! Bro,can i holla @ u so u cld hook me up drop u email. tnx bruv.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
new license requires medical verification, how about road fixing verification.containers falling on a daily bases, does that look like high BP?cos the way im seeing it before you will finish with all dis medical+license it will be N10,000 if not more.dont be surprise road safety will want to do the medicals in their office them self.dis country everybody wan just find any format to take make money.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 18, 2012
Laudable plan - on paper. Unfortunately, the Devil is in the details, as is often the sad case with all things Nigerian.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by yuzedo: 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2012
Bullsh.it!

Next thing we'll hear, you can only get this medical examination done exclusively in baba chukwudi maternity & bone setting centre.. And guess who owns baba chukwudi maternity & bone setting clinic? You guessed it, oga of FRSC's junior broda'd ex-girlfriend's landlords, school father! undecided

We give upppp!!!!!!! angry
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by donem: 9:45pm On Dec 18, 2012
Welcomed development
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by thelastPope(m): 9:55pm On Dec 18, 2012
collins123: With 3,500 naira, I go get a confirm nigerian driver's license wey get every information needed. All tested okay and confirmed.

I mature pass dat one.

Not true at all at all. You are still living in 1990. God help you if road safety catch you. You will do 3 months test and test to ascertain your mental state. Some of you just post wrong information from your desk. You cannot subvert FRSC system. They are one of the most efficient force in Nigeria. Most people who claim they got FRSC licence through the back door actually got fake licences and it was not issued by FRSC!
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by thelastPope(m): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2012
babyosisi: These folks always reason from the wrong end
Most traffic accidents in nigeria are a result if two things

1. Bad roads
2. Drunk driving

Eliminate those two, accidents will decrease

Anyone who has travelled with luxurious bus will tell you how the drivers at Ore or Obollo afor will eat one hefty bowl of akpu and drink 3 bottles of chilled Gulder and then get behind the wheels
High BP And diabetes are not the problem
Not that those couldn't be falsified too
Rubbish
Most Nigerian drivers especially commercial drivers drive drunk and impaired and have no business on the road

Another false information. You guys just say things from your head. For your information, FRSC maintains a database of accident cases and they have authentic statistics unlike you who is just quoting from his head. You lads should stop spreading wrong info on NL. For your information, most accident are not caused by bad roads. They are caused by reckless driving! And reckless driving can be a result of many things including a lot of times, physical and mental condition of the driver! Most commercial drivers are not mentally stable enough to drive commercial buses. Another major problem is orientation and training. I had to almost fight a commercial bus driver a long time ago because he was receiving a phone call with one hand and driving with the other on top of third mainland bridge! I witnessed a bus plunge into the ground below third mainland bridge around the yaba axis in 2005. That is like 4 stories high! The road was perfect! The driver was definitely not! Please don't argue with things you know nothing about. You have no statistics so you cannot fault those who have!

1 Like

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by talktrue1(m): 10:13pm On Dec 18, 2012
Statistics reeled out by the Corps Marshall showed that up to 40 per cent of road accidents between 2007 and 2010 across the country resulted to almost 13,000 deaths involving commercial drivers

If they make Abuja - Lokoja two or four lane, you will hardly hear of accident on that road. people die on that road everyday.
Somebody dove all the way from his location to Lokoja, mentally fit, but Lokoja to Abuja, he is not stable again. Let them fix the roads and stop blaming drivers

Most of the accidents are as a result of bad roads. Every inter-state road should be double lane and then make alternative route for tankers or force them move only at night
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by thelastPope(m): 10:18pm On Dec 18, 2012
uihebom: new license requires medical verification, how about road fixing verification.containers falling on a daily bases, does that look like high BP?cos the way im seeing it before you will finish with all dis medical+license it will be N10,000 if not more.dont be surprise road safety will want to do the medicals in their office them self.dis country everybody wan just find any format to take make money.

Have you ever travelled on Lagos-Benin-Asaba roads? Even as smooth and perfect as the Benin-Asaba road, containers and trucks still fall daily. It has nothing to do with bad roads because most of them don't go so fast. They can easily avoid bad spots. 80% of all accidents caused by heavy duty trucks occur because the drivers fall asleep while driving and loose control or they have a break failure. If you meet them on the highway, you will understand. There is only one major bad spot just before Ore that used to fall heavy duty vehicles but most drivers already know the spot and slow down when they get there. These drivers know the roads like they know their houses. They ply it every other day. But another problem is that most of these trucks, especially the lorries, carry loads above their capacity and most times, the load is very high so the center of gravity is high and they can easily tilt. Is summary, most of the accidents are man made and the drivers are mostly responsible. You need only see how they behave when they drive to know
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by thelastPope(m): 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2012
Did I hear someone say luxury buses? Ha! I stopped entering luxury buses a long time ago because I saw that most of the luxury bus drivers no well at all at all. They all act like cocaine addicts!
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
thelastPope:

Another false information. You guys just say things from your head. For your information, FRSC maintains a database of accident cases and they have authentic statistics unlike you who is just quoting from his head. You lads should stop spreading wrong info on NL. For your information, most accident are not caused by bad roads. They are caused by reckless driving! And reckless driving can be a result of many things including a lot of times, physical and mental condition of the driver! Most commercial drivers are not mentally stable enough to drive commercial buses. Another major problem is orientation and training. I had to almost fight a commercial bus driver a long time ago because he was receiving a phone call with one hand and driving with the other on top of third mainland bridge! I witnessed a bus plunge into the ground below third mainland bridge around the yaba axis in 2005. That is like 4 stories high! The road was perfect! The driver was definitely not! Please don't argue with things you know nothing about. You have no statistics so you cannot fault those who have!

Rubbish
Did accidents start with the introductions of cell phones?
Show me your statistics
FYI I don't see psychiatric evaluation in the medical tests
There is no alcohol breathalyzer tests
There is even no way to enforce it
Do you have a driver database of any sort
Are there road worthiness tests for vehicles plying the roads?
Planes and choppers are falling off skies too and the problem is poor maintenance more than anything else
Roads in Nigeria are death traps and someone is advocating medical tests
Abeg

How many of those reckless drivers are alcohol and drug free or don't you know that is the number one cause of reckless driving?

3 Likes

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by pekelepekele(m): 1:40am On Dec 19, 2012
Govt should fix the roads before implementing these Laws . Like give your child some food before beating him for saying am hungry.

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Indications Your Car Needs An Engine Rebuilt / Honda Accord.... Beast On The Road / Audi, Airbus, and Italdesign Tests “Pop.Up Next” Flying Taxi for Future Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.