Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute (17373 Views)

Mujahidat Daba Dokubo-Asari Calls Out OBJ, Gen. Danjuma In New Post / Mujahidat Daba Dokubo Reacts To Gen. Danjuma's Call To Arrest Asari Dokubo / Maku Lied About Missing Crashed Helicopter In Bayelsa - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by mctemmy(f): 8:46am On Dec 19, 2012
dick hardener: God go purnish all of una wey dey talk first, second, third to comment. Which kain children be this sef.
ori e lo buru werey
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by Teejayphillip(m): 8:51am On Dec 19, 2012
RIP 2 a great warrior.. I alwayz feel sad in my heart wen I ear ow gud pple wif a great heart du leave dis world zo sudden..

Bur I strongly believe God as answers 4 evry questions...

May d almighty God gif d family U left behind d fortitude n strenght 2 move on...

RIP once again... Saluteeee
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by laykhorn(m): 8:52am On Dec 19, 2012
Rich4god:
I dont know the type of humans NL is breeding these days...
NL now breed a lot of Mor0ns ( Seun breed) who have notin upstairs but position to comment posts. With this touching story, the inhuman people stil dey shout 1st, 2nd, 7th..
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by laykhorn(m): 8:53am On Dec 19, 2012
mctemmy: ori e lo buru werey
Alai ni ironu, dindinrin, M0ron buruku
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by BlueMurder(m): 8:54am On Dec 19, 2012
Allah Ya jikan shi da rahama, ameen.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by Dreyl(m): 8:57am On Dec 19, 2012
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace...AMIN
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by vitality22(m): 9:02am On Dec 19, 2012
mctemmy: Chei forth to comment next time na me go carry first!!chei first attempt I try *claps*
M-U-M-U
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by HRHAgek(m): 9:03am On Dec 19, 2012
#80million:
am i 3rd?

*speechless*

I CAME THIRD!

Mongopark!!! go get a life
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by mctemmy(f): 9:14am On Dec 19, 2012
laykhorn:
Alai ni ironu, dindinrin, M0ron buruku
o fe kin fi aye han e abi?
Nkan ti ki je ki adiye to(urinate)o fe kin fi han e abi?
Ur user name is enough for me!bewarned!!!!oloriburuku vip
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by JimmyBoy1: 9:17am On Dec 19, 2012
RIP , you did not die for nothing.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by osundu(m): 9:24am On Dec 19, 2012
Sir,ur death was a great loss to all of us especially we in de armed forces.may de almighty God keep and give ur family the fortitude to bear de lost.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by newacca: 10:07am On Dec 19, 2012
Inalillah wa inailehi Rajihun. RIP
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by kenraj(m): 10:09am On Dec 19, 2012
Adieu Oga Daba... I pray you continue to rest in the bossom of GOD..RIP.

In between, so gOod to have exboys on this forum... I remain loyal sirs to the Snr exboys on this forum. (NMS-97-.... Exboy Alpha coy.)
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by zeemad: 10:17am On Dec 19, 2012
I was at the base and through out the funeral,the atmosphere was filled with tears and all
u can hear was clear testimonies about his simplicity,humbleness and friendship.
ALLAH YAJI KAN MU'AZZAMU.AMIN
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by laykhorn(m): 10:19am On Dec 19, 2012
mctemmy: o fe kin fi aye han e abi?
Nkan ti ki je ki adiye to(urinate)o fe kin fi han e abi?
Ur user name is enough for me!bewarned!!!!oloriburuku vip
Showcased stu.pidity at the very zenith. I dont have tym 4 mofos lyk u.. N wha wil u do wit my username?
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2012
Bin daba as i alwasy call him, its well with your family. i screameed aloud on saturday night when i found out thaat yu had gone to be with the Lord. you were a man of beautiful countenance, very amiabl and jovial. God bless yu.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by azzima(m): 11:03am On Dec 19, 2012
Seun needs to ban this teenager called Mctemmy or whatever it's name is. Too infantile for the forum, too many jobless fools here. Imagine someone congratulating Bukola Saraki[another thief] on a page that is dedicated to a fallen hero?.Imagine these fools congratulating themselves for being the first to post while we sympathise with a fellow human being? People need to get a life.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by laykhorn(m): 11:11am On Dec 19, 2012
azzima: Seun needs to ban this teenager called Mctemmy or whatever it's name is. Too infantile for the forum, too many jobless fools here. Imagine someone congratulating Bukola Saraki[another thief] on a page that is dedicated to a fallen hero?.Imagine these fools congratulating themselves for being the first to post while we sympathise with a fellow human being? People need to get a life.
Fantastic brain u got
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by megastu(m): 12:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
@Oludrex, instead of you to read and imagine what people will say about you when you leave this life you are busy saying rubbish. Who said he lived a perfect life. MTCHEEWWWW.

May his gallant soul rest in peace. Amen.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by tajulasblog(f): 12:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
Pain: Navy Commander Daba, the ex-boy who was the pilot of the ill-fated Augusta 105 helicopter that crashed on 15th December, 2012 was newly promoted with his coursemates (46 Regular Course). He was one year ahead of me at the Nigerian Military School Zaria. He was the smallest in stature among his coursemates, but he had a very big heart. This a tribute to him:

1. The death of Commander Muritala Mohammed Daba leaves a huge vacuum in our lives. According to news reports he died on active duty while flying the governor of Kaduna state and the immediate past National Security Adviser in a Nigerian Navy helicopter. We mourn not because we are naive about human mortality, fretful for our turn or impudent of God’s prerogative. It is Gods privilege alone to give life and every officer in the Nigerian Navy, Army or Air Force knew the risks before we bravely signed up. Naturally, the statistics for death are startling. One in every one will die, as none of us will leave this life alive. However, even the heavens applaud the brilliance of a shooting star and Commander Daba did shine. If the situation was reversed Oga would not bother with the circumstances of death like some do. He would smile and say “Allah Yayisah”. Well I am not that charitable. This is the second day since Al-Jazeera broke the news and we are in more shock than the first day. Despite the hurt in our hearts our thoughts and prayers go out to his family especially his beautiful wife and lovely daughter.

2. Every time I am privileged to witness the glory of a military wedding ceremony, my first amazement is the sparkle in the bride’s eye not the glitz of participating in the sword crossing ceremony. It fills me with awe that these amazing women dare to become what late Hajia Maryam Babangida calls the “Officers Wife”. It is incredible that any woman (or man) would accept to marry a man (or woman) who’s very job demands obedience without complaint and loyalty without restraint. Why would anyone want to settle with a military partner who is trained to love Country first, God second and then spouse/family in that order? At all times an officer’s wife waves her husband good bye without any guarantee he will return. Others live a life of sacrifice and loneliness. These superwomen wives often have to deal with long months without their partners because he is on assignment in another state, country or continent. It seems these courageous spouses essentially sign up to serve their nation along with their military spouses. Consequently officers and men are forever grateful to God for friends and family knowing that any moment could be the last. They hold their wives and family with high esteem and Oga Daba was no exception loving his wife and daughter till death.

3. Oga Daba was not just a compassionate father and faithful husband, he was a consummate professional. Since graduating from the Nigerian Defence Academy with a bachelor’s degree he has served his country both ashore and afloat. Commander Daba completed several courses within and outside Nigeria and earned his wings as a member of the elite squad of Nigerian Navy helicopter pilots. During one of his numerous trips to Italy we met up in Amsterdam for an unforgettable 36 hours in 2008. He told me of how he escaped racists in Hungary with “Regular” moves and military alacrity. Rather than save his course allowance as most officers on course would traditionally do, he chose like me to travel and see the world as means to understanding other people’s and cultures. He believed in a border-less world where race, tribe, wealth, nationality and religion could be defining but certainly not definitive. Lots of things happened that fateful day in Amsterdam but two of the actors will never speak and one is now gone.

4. Yet to live in the hearts and minds of those whose life you have impacted is never to die. As officers and men all over the world keep a stiff upper lip and grieve in silence, I will end with three lessons I learned from Commander Daba and for which he would be forever missed.

Lesson one. You do not need to be wealthy to be generous.

I am not certain how rich he was on Saturday 13 December 2012 when he piloted the Navy Augusta helicopter from Bayelsa to Port Harcourt but I do know that in 2002, I was so broke that I could not afford to fuel my Honda Accord. This was a time when a one week delay in salary payment or “NG” could wreck a new officer’s budget and a two week delay meant disaster. In between pay checks I asked Mac Olowu to “raise” me. He was in the same broke-boat but took me to Oga Daba who himself did not have. Within minutes Oga Daba took me in his car to another officer’s house in Arakan Barracks, borrowed from the officer without disclosing my identity, lent to me and never accepted the money back. I still do not know the officer he met but anyone that knew Oga will not be surprised that he could go to such lengths for a junior officer.

Lesson Two. Respect is best earned not demanded.

The first thing that struck you on meeting him is his cheerful, humble and honest personality. This became most evident during the Junior Staff College course 59/2005 at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College. In true “onward together” fashion, he gracefully took “yabs” (petty jokes/ amusing insults) from my course mates who were the most junior on the course and sometimes returned “yabs” of his own. His initial pilot training meant that he had to attend this course with his juniors. Yet you could not tell how senior he was, because he would laugh, motivate and teach fellow syndicate members in an affable manner that endeared him to everyone but never diminished him. At no time did any of us his juniors “try” him. We just trusted him to help, advice and understand because he always did.
Lesson Three. True friendship has no boundaries. Think outside the box.

Oga Daba was my superior but more importantly he was a friend. In too many instances and in so many ways he was there. After several stints abroad I have painfully discovered how easy it is to lose track of friends, colleagues and most surprising of all course mates for many reasons. Yet the last time I spoke to Oga Daba was the same day he departed this world. I was on my way from Lebanon where I presented a research paper at the IEEE ACTEA 2012 conference. We discussed how pleasant my trip to Lebanon was, marriage conundrums (for me) and the significance of my research. In typical Daba style, he started the conversation at 8:38 PM Friday Lebanon time (GMT+2) and sent his last message 12:32 AM Saturday (see the blackberry screen shot).

. Bros shld have had d decency of acknowledging d source of ur post instead of passing it off as urs. So wrong. Heres d original post.Was my cuz dt wrote it. http://www.facebook.com/notes/stephan-nonsoezeoke/in-memory-of-commander-murtala-mohammed-daba/10151583229814552
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by Chongaiman: 1:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
vanstanzy: REST IN THE LORDS BOSOM, COMMANDER! embarassed embarassed embarassed MAY GOD GRANT UR FAMILY THE FORTITUDE TO BEAR THE LOSS.
On a lighter note, in that picture of the guys possing, the short guy looks like aki and paw paw, u know, the Chinedu guy. grin grin grin grin grin grin

That aki & pawpaw guy in the photo is the subject of this thread.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by oaroloye(m): 2:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
I am really sorry for the terrible loss.

It is so very easy to cast blame, but what right have any of us
to leave the security of our lives up to others,
when we know that we are targets?

As pilot, it was HIS responsibility to check his machine for possible tampering.
(I presume that we are all in agreement that this was no accident?)

Didn't the "mighty commander" just go striding in to sit upon his "throne of god,"
secure in the knowledge that his "boys," the mechanics, had carried out their orders,
and had done all the checking FOR HIM So that HE didn't CHECK their work?

If he had been more paranoid, he would have been less dignified, more risible,
but a whole lot more alive!

Am I making the point properly? AS A MILITARY PILOT, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE EXPERTLY KNOWLEDGEABLE
IN ALL THE POSSIBLE WAYS IN WHICH SOME... ILLEGITIMATE CAN BLOW UP YOUR BIRD, AND HOW TO DETECT THEM.

Commander Dada let himself down, let his passengers down, let the Navy down,
LET ALL THEIR FAMILIES DOWN, let NIGERIA down!

FROM HERE ON IN, LET EVERY OFFICER GET DOWN ON THE GROUND AND LOOK UNDER HIS OR HER OWN CAR,
TO CHECK THAT IF THERE IS A BOMB THERE OR NOT! LET THEM SEE WITH THEIR OWN EYES, THAT THERE
IS NOTHING IN THE BOOT, OR WIRED TO THE IGNITION, OR STUFFED UNDER THE SEATS, BEFORE GOING OFF.

LET IT BE MADE A STANDING ORDER.

Let mechanics and maintenance staff be thoroughly watched, and account for their presence every hour of the day.
Their personal right to privacy must be waived, because THIS IS WARTIME, NOT PEACETIME.

Why do people laugh at me, when I suggest the use of common sense?

1 Like

Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by begwong: 3:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
OP,YOU PLAGIARIZED THIS WRITE UP WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR SOURCE,WHY
In Memory of Commander Murtala Mohammed Daba.
by Stephan Nonsoezeoke on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 10:49am ·

1 Like

Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by tajulasblog(f): 3:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
oaroloye: I am really sorry for the terrible loss.

As pilot, it was HIS responsibility to check his machine for possible tampering.

Didn't the "mighty commander" just go striding in to sit upon his "throne of god,"
secure in the knowledge that his "boys," the mechanics, had carried out their orders,

Am I making the point properly? AS A MILITARY PILOT, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE EXPERTLY KNOWLEDGEABLE
IN ALL THE POSSIBLE WAYS IN WHICH SOME... ILLEGITIMATE CAN BLOW UP YOUR BIRD, AND HOW TO DETECT THEM.

FROM HERE ON IN, LET EVERY OFFICER GET DOWN ON THE GROUND AND LOOK UNDER HIS OR HER OWN CAR,
TO CHECK THAT IF THERE IS A BOMB THERE OR NOT! LET THEM SEE WITH THEIR OWN EYES, THAT THERE
IS NOTHING IN THE BOOT, OR WIRED TO THE IGNITION, OR STUFFED UNDER THE SEATS, BEFORE GOING OFF.

Let mechanics and maintenance staff be thoroughly watched, and account for their presence every hour of the day.
Their personal right to privacy must be waived, because THIS IS WARTIME, NOT PEACETIME.

Hmmmmmmm u think it was not an accident?
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by begwong: 4:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
tajulasblog:

Hmmmmmmm u think it was not an accident?
OP,YOU PLAGIARIZED THIS WRITE UP WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR SOURCE,WHY huh huh
In Memory of Commander Murtala Mohammed Daba.
by Stephan Nonsoezeoke on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 10:49am ·
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by rushj(m): 2:19am On Dec 20, 2012
Allahummagfirhu warhamhu--- May Allah forgive him and have mercy on him
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by aduboy(m): 7:43am On Dec 20, 2012
Some of us that knew Daba from military school to ACA till date can attest that he was gentleman, a devouted muslim and a team leader. The Nigerian Navy, Armed forces and the nation have lost a rare gem. May the Almighty grant him eternal rest. For the family, gentlemen Officers and exboys on this forum I condole with you guys. Also remember that this is public forum, so don't come here to expose your ignorance, thats just an advice for the officers and exboys on this forum.
Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by lastpage: 3:22am On Aug 26, 2014
oaroloye: I am really sorry for the terrible loss.

First, you make a lot of sense with your post, even if it was 'peace time'.

But what NO ONE would factor-in is that ONE OF YOURS will be your own ENEMY!

*When your father, Mother or siblings give you a piece of Biscuit, do you first check it properly before devouring it?
*When your wife serves you dinner, do you call your Mai-guard to come and taste it first before commencing to eat it?
*When you team dribbles and face his own post (your own keeper), do you go and push him off the ball thinking he was about to score an own-goal? or when you give your own goal-keeper a 'back pass', do you run behind him to catch the ball yourself or do you TRUST him to catch the ball and not let it roll inside the net?

Its same in the military! TRUST IS ETERNAL.
Its a "team work", everyone has their role and they are TRUSTED to play their role ... NOT SABOTAGE a COLLEAGUE!
The greatest enemy is the the "one within" and it is very difficult to guard against!

"A house divided against itself,... needs no enemy, to destroy it".
You dont see a Marine or Fighter Pilot checking his plane "all round" before hopping into it, when duty calls.

R.I.P to a gallant soldier, with the heart of an Angel.
BTW: How come its the "good ones' that dont last long?
If we judge every soldier by the behaviour of some of their comrades on "the streets' in dealing with civilians, then you would understand why some cant just come around to love soldiers.
Soldiers (Military guys) are supposed to be idolized cause they have sworn to put their life on the line, if need be, to defend other citizens but in Nigeria, some Soldiers think "bullying civilians" is an act of bravery!

Not knowing that humility and kindness is the mark of great soldiers while bully (especially to an unarmed civilian whom you are swore to protect!) is the GREATEST ACT OF COWARDICE!
Respect is "earned" ...not usurped with threat/fear!

Let other "alive" soldiers read and learn.
Once again, RIP, gallant soldier.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Commander Daba: Pilot Of The Crashed Helicopter - A Tribute by luiskhan92: 11:36am On Oct 02, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Lands In Otuoke, Gets Accredited / Police Wives Empower Widows As Krystal Okeke Pledges Educational Support / Fears As Military Plans Ex-Terrorists Release To Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.