Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,531 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? (4348 Views)

Mysterious Facts, Incidents, And Disappearances That Still Remain Unexplained. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by Truequest(m): 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2008
Lagos On Fire!

Over the past few months it has become normal in Lagos to hear that buildings in public places especially markets have been burnt. The rate at which this fire occur is becoming worrisome and it seems there is no end for such fire incidents. Each of these fires leave in it's trace deaths and destroyed lives. For those of us that hear on the news, you may not understand what it feels like to build from scratch, only to be send back to the scratch again by one misfortune. My question is this what is the cause of these fires? I bet you LAGOS want to know and so do I.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by Seun(m): 4:25pm On Feb 18, 2008
My question is this what is the cause of these fires?
Dry weather.

you may not understand what it feels like to build from scratch,
only to be send back to the scratch again by one misfortune.
Why can't these "unfortunate" people buy simple fire extinguishers?
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by minto(m): 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2008
shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by gentleaura(m): 6:19pm On Feb 18, 2008
Most of the fires is suspected arson, if investigated well enough. What the people need is insurance, even though they dont foresee fire, you need to have yourself protected just in the light of starting all over again!

We still need effective governance in Nigeria, when that is in place, all aspects of law keeping will be effective, such fires could be prevented, if not, losing once entire life sufferings in a snap of a finger will be totally reduced!
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by TOYOSI20(f): 7:20pm On Feb 18, 2008
I think the State Gov. should, properly fund the Fire Dept, so

that in Emergencies there wouldn't be an issue of

*No gas to move the truck,

*No water,

And other ridiculous excuses like that.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by ifyalways(f): 7:44pm On Feb 18, 2008
TOYOSI20:

I think the State Gov. should, properly fund the Fire Dept, so

that in Emergencies there wouldn't be an issue of

*No gas to move the truck,

*No water,

And other ridiculous excuses like that.

hehe.you only hear such stories in nigeria.i keep wondering why the Nigerian Fire Service men are being paid for when almost every time there is an incident and they are called upon,its either no water or no fuel to move the truck.
basic infrastructures too are lacking.people use candles in the same room where there is 100 litres of fuel/ kerosene reason;there is no electricity( NEPA abi power holding is not functioning) and the kerosene/ fuel is bought and hoarded in the house cos its scarce.
methinks,the Govt takes 70% Of the blame.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by subice(m): 7:56pm On Feb 18, 2008
ifyalways:

hehe.you only hear such stories in nigeria.i keep wondering why the Nigerian Fire Service men are being paid for when almost every time there is an incident and they are called upon,its either no water or no fuel to move the truck.
basic infrastructures too are lacking.people use candles in the same room where there is 100 litres of fuel/ kerosene reason;there is no electricity( NEPA abi power holding is not functioning) and the kerosene/ fuel is bought and hoarded in the house because its scarce.
methinks,the Govt takes 70% Of the blame.

For real! It's obvious that solving the power problem would automatically cut Nigeria's problems down by more than 50%. Fire disasters are just some of the cummulative effects of an inefficient power system. I hope greed doesn't destroy this country totally.

1 Like

Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by mendax: 9:04pm On Feb 18, 2008
its not only lagos, though dats d one u hear most
d other day in kd, PHCN decided 2 restore power with high voltage, guess wat happened?

BOOM!!!

5 different houses within d same area caught fire, infact one of d houses belonged 2 my inlaw and nothin was salvaged!!

1 Like

Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 18, 2008
carelessness is the cause
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:41am On Feb 19, 2008
feyisara:

carelessness is the cause

Yes u are right,

When will people learn to turn off the candle or lantern before they

go to sleep,

And stop hoarding gasoline, diesel, and kerosene,

for crying out loud. angry
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by tipsy289(m): 6:30am On Feb 19, 2008
Burnt House-Really unfortunate.
I understand the lantern and kerosene is the one that burns most low-class homes.example Face Me Face You,you'll keep it in your room and what happens if it lights up-Unfotunate event
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by chukz4real(m): 8:09am On Feb 19, 2008
Seun:

Dry weather.
always funny!
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by ratiken(m): 10:54am On Feb 19, 2008
Just this morning, some structures around my area was razed down by fire in Port Harcourt.

The fire started at about 4:00am and Fire service was immediately contacted but it was so unfortunate they arrived 2hrs 30mins later with half filled tankers. The remaining story should be left untold.

Unfortunately still, nothing was salvaged. Residents/ Eye witnesses confirmed that the fire was triggered by electric sparks from the poor maintained armored cables powering the area.

It was quite a pathetic scene this morning. No life was lost.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by spora1: 10:58am On Feb 19, 2008
Omg
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by uchetobi(f): 11:45am On Feb 19, 2008
When they told d market women to move sop that they culd renovate the market they refused, so 2 me d fire is a deliberate act of forcful eviction so that Lagos state master plan can be upheld
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by moreshow(m): 12:14pm On Feb 19, 2008
gentleaura:

Most of the fires is suspected arson, if investigated well enough. What the people need is insurance, even though they don't foresee fire, you need to have yourself protected just in the light of starting all over again!

We still need effective governance in Nigeria, when that is in place, all aspects of law keeping will be effective, such fires could be prevented, if not, losing once entire life sufferings in a snap of a finger will be totally reduced!
If people these unfortunate ppu had had the money at all, they wouldn't have been on the road side in the first place.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by skyone(m): 1:20pm On Feb 19, 2008
because the state govt thinks her people are nothing but shits; therefore market planning, town and urban planning, normal state owned infrastructure are waste of time to these leaders.

This makes some people to run out of ideas when it comes to house keeping and enviromental sanitation, in fact when you pay a visit to these places you can't really blame some of them as the condition there is out of order. Randomely i'll blame the govt for lack of responsibility.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by byluk(f): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2008
i think some of those fire incidents are engineered by the government,through their agents(lga chairmens and touts, who start up the fire) in their bid to restructure lagos state especially the markets or how wld u xplain the tejuosho fire incident which affected only a portion of the market and for that reason the whole market is closed down.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by emmydee(m): 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2008
Most fire incidents are caused by d unplanned nature of the city. However, d Nigeria fire service staff is another waste. all monies allocated to that corporation has always been embezzled. this shows in all their excuses like, no vehicle, no fuel, no driver etc. their compounds always look deserted. shit!
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by TOYOSI20(f): 6:10pm On Feb 19, 2008
rati ken:

Just this morning, some structures around my area was razed down by fire in Port Harcourt.

The fire started at about 4:00am and Fire service was immediately contacted but it was so unfortunate they arrived 2hrs 30mins later with half filled tankers. The remaining story should be left untold.

Unfortunately still, nothing was salvaged. Residents/ Eye witnesses confirmed that the fire was triggered by electric sparks from the poor maintained armored cables powering the area.

It was quite a pathetic scene this morning. No life was lost.

That is just what i mean. angry
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by luridguy(m): 10:58pm On Feb 19, 2008
its a pity we still dont have a proper rescue sevice in this country God help us

i was hoping all the disaters we experinced during obasonjo's time would have followed him out sad
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by olili: 9:03am On Feb 20, 2008
There was a situation in my area in lagos that an old woman(grandmother)who came from the village to spend sometimes with her son.
this old woman likes putting on candles weather there is current or not and sleeps off and i heard they have bin warning the old woman against it . this was what caused fire out break and burnt a three story building.
in this case it not fuel and its not a PHCN wahala,what should i call it ?
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by Truequest(m): 5:18pm On Feb 20, 2008

Extinguisher Who will use the extinguisher by 1.00am, 2.00am, 3.00am and so on.
I think those fires are rather dubious.
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by wham(m): 7:55pm On Feb 20, 2008
The other day I saw a Fire Engine trying to make its way tru the traffic on Ikorodu road.
It was blaring its siren. I dont know if it was actually going on an Emergency mission,
BUT I could imagine the impossibility of the engine arriving the scence of a fire on time through such a sorry hold-up.

Nigeria is not yet prepared to prevent disasters. Instead some dubious idiots (those who pray for disaster, knowing fully well that they would benefit) would even make money when its time for resettlements, renovations and relief supplies.

The people need reorientation. Every house should have a fire extinguisher. Its not a waste. No one wishes for disaster but they happen (reality), and they start small sometimes. There are so many possible sources of fire in the house/office/shop. From the cooking stove, to the electrical fittings and appliances, to the Generator & Candle (Thanks to NEPA),

God help us progress. Give our leaders vission. Install Leaders who have the Masses at heart
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by archbishop(m): 11:33pm On Feb 20, 2008
Hello Nairalanders,
This fire of a thing is not funny at all.
I suspect the State Govt and Rich, trying to acquire the land that belong to the POOR.so they set up the FIRE to drive away the poor and takeover the LANDS,
Think about it

urs
archbishop
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by maureenuch: 4:56am On Feb 21, 2008
sad shocked embarassed
tipsy289:

Burnt House-Really unfortunate.
I understand the lantern and kerosene is the one that burns most low-class homes.example Face Me Face You,you'll keep it in your room and what happens if it lights up-Unfotunate event
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by fitinwell: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2008
Mayb it's kind of a setup who knows, ?1ST the fire fighters in this nation, needs to fear God and passion for humanity, Since when i was born i cud say 24years now i've not heard once were a building is on fire, and the fire fighters put the fire off successfully, it's either there is no water. or no gas ( fuel ), some Fire fighter they know demsef if u're the one change for Good pump water into the truck buy fuel at government expense and resell waters to individual at home to does dat don't have bore holes. dis is not yabbing because if it's not fire burnt down a house today,,you here next minute, building collapse, kidnapping in buses, well i have not heard of rape incidence lately, but bank robbery dis days is like, acting a SWAT movie,
next minute also could be president yar dua travelling out to egypt,

We need God, to help us figure things out in this country, when would we learn to stop speaking for God and let God himself speaks,

ALL WE NEED IS GOD, AND DIS MESSAGE STARTS FROM YOU, LOVE YOUR FELLOW NIGERIA WHEITHER BLACK OR WHITE TALL OR SHORT WE'RE ONE, DONT STAB UR NIEGHBOR AT THE BACK, ALL IN THE NAME OF SELF INTREST,

OOPPPSSS PREACHING BUT DAT'S THE WHOLE TRUTH,

ONE LOVE 2 U I MEAN U,
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by ronkybaby(f): 4:39pm On Feb 23, 2008
Na wahooooooooo
Imagine a building ablast at the back of fire bridge company and until the building burn to ashes before they came saying little water

I get as e bi ooo angry angry angry
Re: So Many Fire Incidents In Lagos: Why? by k9(m): 5:01pm On Mar 09, 2008
The fires are not only limited to Lagos/Nigeria, but I think there have been a few major fires the world over: In Germany where that baby was thrown from a 4 story building, in the US during super tuesday, and a few others. The sad part is that there will be many such major fires this year The cause? It has something to do with astrology and the planet Mars being close to the earth or something. A friend of mine who studies/practices astrology predicted it would be so and all these fires are proving him right.

Of course the mention of Astrology and it's seeming 'non-relevance' to fire outbreaks will sound stupid/absurd to most people, but those who know it know it. The major question/issue is not that fire fighters in lagos/nigeria just about don't exist, or that people don't do more to prevent fires, or bad kerosine, or any other such reasons you give, those are valid reasons no doubt, but the "root cause" is what we need to find out, and someone has linked this root cause in Astrology. Anyone else has a valid/logical/sensible explanation, especially those who will rubbish this astrology theory?

(1) (Reply)

A Friend Is Inviting Me To South Africa / Ecowas & International Passport. Are They The Same? / 16 Essential Tips For Uber & Taxify Passengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.