Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg (6593 Views)

Successes Recorded In Operation 'lafiya Dole' From 17-22 Jan (graphic Pictures) / See What Officials Did To People Who Failed To Use Lagos Pedestrian Bridg / IBB Endorses Muhammadu Buhari For President - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by ypzilanti: 6:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
Fashola can use Lagos successes

December 19 2012 at 05:23pm
By Bloomberg
Comment on this story
A caller to Traffic Radio in Lagos, a city that is a byword for chaos, pollution and crime, complained that an illegal building blocking a drain was flooding his neighbourhood.

“The governor will send a team to take it down,” taxi driver Billy Ganiyu said as he listened to the state-run station. “He hates that sort of thing.”

That residents of the city believe the authorities will act on their complaints shows the progress Lagos state governor Babatunde Fashola has made. Re-elected last year with 81 percent of the vote, Fashola is courting residents and investors by building roads, an urban railway, bridges and hospitals, and cutting red tape.

In a city ranked by the Economist Intelligence Unit as the third-worst place to live, his successes may set Fashola up to bid for Nigeria’s presidency.

Global hotel chains Intercontinental, Sheraton and Radisson have either set up or expanded in Lagos since Fashola took office in 2007. So too have supermarket groups Shoprite and Massmart and luxury car manufacturer Porsche.

His government plans a free trade zone with an international airport and a port. Two years into his second four-year term, Fashola is selling bonds to raise funds for infrastructure in the city of 22 million people. Expectations have grown so high that “if there’s a blip, the impression is you’re slacking”, Fashola said in an interview.

On his achievements, he lists “cleaner streets, the ability to repair roads in a much more sustainable way, and keeping the streets lit up at night”.

Fashola has faced criticism for some measures considered draconian and detrimental to the poor, such as restricting the movement of motorcycle taxis, imposing tolls on a key highway and partly demolishing the waterfront slum of Makoko. The government says it plans to build the Makoko residents a new, safer neighbourhood with utilities.

“These people are expendable to them,” said Felix Morka, the executive director of the Social and Economic Rights Action Centre, which advises the Makoko community. “If the government has its way this place won’t exist, maybe within five to 10 years it will be glass houses, penthouses.”

David Cowan, a London-based Africa economist at Citigroup who has been travelling to Lagos for more than a decade, said: “Things have definitely changed for the positive. I’d put a pretty high percentage that he [Fashola] will use Lagos as a platform to run for [presidential] office and I think that would be very good for Nigeria.”

Fashola, a member of the opposition Action Congress of Nigeria party, bats away the speculation, saying he “still [has] a lot of work to do here”. The state needs to invest $5 billion (R43bn) in infrastructure annually over the next 10 years to make up a decade and half of neglect under military rule that ended in 1999. Lagos state sold 80 billion naira (R4.3bn) of debt in November, its third issue in six years.

Chike Nwagbogu, who co-runs the Bogobiri hotel on Lagos’s Ikoyi island, said that while infrastructure in Lagos had improved, Fashola still had a lot to do. He said he was spending 50 000 naira a day on diesel to run generators because of power cuts. – Chris Kay from Bloomberg

http://www.iol.co.za/business/international/fashola-can-use-lagos-successes-1.1443194
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by seanet01: 7:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
FASHOLA baba. You be da best.
Lagos o ni baje o.
South West o ni baje o.
Itshekri, Kogi, Ilaje, Edo, Egun and kwara oni baje o.
Other places can baje if they want o.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
ypzilanti:
Chike Nwagbogu, who co-runs the Bogobiri hotel on Lagos’s Ikoyi island, said that while infrastructure in Lagos had improved, Fashola still had a lot to do. He said he was spending 50 000 naira a day on diesel to run generators because of power cuts. –

http://www.iol.co.za/business/international/fashola-can-use-lagos-successes-1.1443194

And this is somehow Fashola's fault?

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Demdem(m): 8:09pm On Dec 19, 2012
Surely fashola can and in sane societies such get elected because the persons track record is always being considered.
However i doubt if our society is that sane and that explains my fears as regards if he will win or not. Track records arent considered here unfortunately.
the case of the Retardeen comes to mind.
what was his track record as a governor of one of the richest state in the federation that made the people to vote him undecided such is the kind of society i find myself.

10 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by eastOFwest(m): 9:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem: Surely fashola can and in sane societies such get elected because the persons track record is always being considered.
However i doubt if our society is that sane and that explains my fears as regards if he will win or not. Track records arent considered here unfortunately.
the case of the Retardeen comes to mind.
what was his track record as a governor of one of the richest state in the federation that made the people to vote him undecided such is the kind of society i find myself.

What was Obama's track record before he got elected for the first time?

Personally, I believe fashola is too allied to yoruba interests for me to see him as a national leader. Just like @seanet01 said in the comment above, it will be South West first and the rest of Nigeria can "baje" if fashola becomes president of Nigeria. I believe he'll make a great South West premier or yoruba republic president if things go that way.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Demdem(m): 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
eastOFwest:

What was Obama's track record before he got elected for the first time?

U must be a joke to even compare obama with the retardeen. Secondly, Obama was not in an executive position, he was in the senate. Our own retardeen was in an executive position and yet failed miserably has governor. If he could for less population and more money for a state like bayelsa, why should we be bothered now about his current cluelessness in governance at the federal level today.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by PointB: 9:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
Oya Bloomberg, come and vote for him!

All na wash!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by eastOFwest(m): 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2012
[quote author=Demdem][/quote]

I wasn't comparing them. I was only pointing out to you how both of them had no "successful track record" and were still elected.

Now, you tell me which past Nigerian elected president that has "passed excellently" in office?
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Demdem(m): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
eastOFwest:

I wasn't comparing them. I was only pointing out to you how both of them had no "successful track record" and were still elected.

Obama was senator for about 2yrs or so and am not aware that his constituents complained bitterly that they werent represented well during his period. Go bayelsa today and the people will tell u that the thief Alams is still their best till date.

Now, you tell me which past Nigerian elected president that has "passed excellently" in office?

yaradua did excellently well in katsina despite his health issues but that wasnt even the reason why he was elected. go through my first post again and understand my concerns. Antecedents should be taken into account but our society isnt such yet and that explains my frustrations as regards fashola's chances also.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
yaradua did excellently well in katsina despite his health issues but that wasnt even the reason why he was elected. go through my first post again and understand my concerns. Antecedents should be taken into account but our society isnt such yet and that explains my frustrations as regards fashola's chances also.

Somehow true.
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Demdem(m): 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Somehow true.

share ur concerns and lets learn together.
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by gregg2: 10:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
But Lagos remains one of three worst places to live in on earth

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
May 29, 2019 Fashola might be President if he is willing to cross from ACN to PDP. I am ready to buy him Presidential Ticket at 2019 on those conditions and I will be called his GodFather with a chance to spite Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
gregg2: But Lagos remains one of three worst places to live in on earth
Lagos is worst to some and is heaven to many others like me. Shoes get size, if you relocate to Ogbomosho, you could be a king there.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Billyonaire: Lagos is worst to some and is heaven to many others like me. Shoes get size, if you relocate to Ogbomosho, you could be a king there.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

share ur concerns and lets learn together.

Election in Nigeria, historically and factually, has less to do with performance. It's more of striking the right alliances.
Fasola is a performer no doubt. Yar'Adua did well in Kastina, no question about that. But the election that brought him to power was not allowed to be decided on basis of performance , it was massively rigged. Even when that of GEj was not massively rigged, sentiments woven largely around historically perceived injustice swayed voters in his favor.

We are on same page, it takes more than performance to win a presidential election in Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by drnoel: 12:09am On Dec 20, 2012
What kind of rubbish is this,.... People are complaining that Tinubu, under fashiola's watch owns Lagos and some other people are talking about him running for presidency. He will fail, just like Atiku.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Demdem(m): 7:38am On Dec 20, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Election in Nigeria, historically and factually, has less to do with performance. It's more of striking the right alliances.
Fasola is a performer no doubt. Yar'Adua did well in Kastina, no question about that. But the election that brought him to power was not allowed to be decided on basis of performance , it was massively rigged. Even when that of GEj was not massively rigged, sentiments woven largely around historically perceived injustice swayed voters in his favor.

We are on same page, it takes more than performance to win a presidential election in Nigeria.

I completely agree with u no doubt.
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Gbawe: 7:48am On Dec 20, 2012
The article makes simplistic assumptions with how it wishes to relate Nigeria to Nations where you go from A to B and then C. Nigeria is simply not at the stage where people are ready to cast aside sentiments and entrenched biases to go with merit. I may be wrong but I think Fashola has no hope of becoming President in 2015 but that is not really a big deal for the man himself considering he is someone who just loves to keep busy providing solutions. There will be plenty for him to lay his hands on home and abroad. If OBJ, a crude tool, is junketing around the world in all manners of roles, then Fashola has no worries about remaining fulfilled beyond politics. Fashola will surely be coveted immensely even if not by Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by 401kk: 8:26am On Dec 20, 2012
Being a state governor is very different from being a president. Though I'm not trying undermine or downplay his achievements and pedigree, but I honestly believe he will not perform to our expected yardstick if he becomes president. He should endeavour to engage in other meaningful political activities after 2015.
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by seanet01: 9:05am On Dec 20, 2012
401kk: Being a state governor is very different from being a president. Though I'm not trying undermine or downplay his achievements and pedigree, but I honestly believe he will not perform to our expected yardstick if he becomes president. He should endeavour to engage in other meaningful political activities after 2015.
Fashola can win the Presidency
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 20, 2012
PointB: Oya Bloomberg, come and vote for him!

All na wash!

I tire oh. I wonder how they arrive at these baseless conclusions. This ethnocentric bigot that is fond of telling residents of Lagos to "return to their village" wants to rule Nigeria? What a joke.

Who would vote for this detached and elitist maniac anyway? Is it the Banana Island/VI/Ikoyi elites that he has been beautifying streets for, or the 'Internet' supporters in the diaspora? Certainly not the suffering masses that he has declared war on, whose votes make all the difference.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by PaulJohn1: 10:33am On Dec 20, 2012
Truth be told. Don't think Fashola been the president in Nigeria is a dream that can't be actualized for now. A country where ethnicity of candidates is what comes to mind before thinking of casting vote for and competence with integrity is been neglected.
While some are thinking of rotation of the top post within groups, others with "born to rule mentality" and some with voting who's going to be soft with their uncivilized conduct.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Elueme: 11:52am On Dec 20, 2012
In a simplified term, can these bootlickers state emphatically what Fashola had done? Agreed, he had made some tough policies which are futuristic though pseudoactivists would have grounded the country had those policies been made by any pdp government. If an ACN govt comes on board and remove fuel subsidy, nigerians will assume it's a right policy. We need to have a rethink and stop being biased so nigeria can grow.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by gister2: 12:13pm On Dec 20, 2012
Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by miteolu(m): 12:18pm On Dec 20, 2012
He (Fashola) started with success but ending with failure.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by dederocs(m): 12:22pm On Dec 20, 2012
Fashola will be a much better president than this sham we have now.Goodluck is just basking in the euphoria of being a president,he has no vision.Fashola has balls,he has the decisive nature of a true leader,much more intelligent and articulate than Goodluck,and he understands the aspirations of the majority.FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by dederocs(m): 12:24pm On Dec 20, 2012
miteolu: He (Fashola) started with successbut ending with failure.
I SUSPECT U RE AN OKADA RIDER,SORRY BUT LAGOS HAS BETTER PLANS THAN UR OKADA PLANS,EITHER U MEET UP WITH THE MEGA CITY PLANS,OR YOU GO BACK TO YOUR VILLAGE,NABY FORCE TO STAY LAGOS?...BLAME UR CLUELESS PRESIDENT AND UR STATE GOVERNOR.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 20, 2012
Fashola should please run o make Nigeria no go kpafuka finish o. I think an online letter needs to be addressed and signed by a million nigerians asking Fashola to run.
For once when we see a good thing, we need to accept it putting all our sentiments aside and being rational to secure our children yet unborn future.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Can Use Lagos Successes To Run For President- Bloomberg by slimming: 12:25pm On Dec 20, 2012
Presidency in Nigeria is far more difficult to succeed than been a state governor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Military Bombs Arepo To Dislodge Militants [PHOTOS] / 2019 Elections Will Define The Future Of Nigeria Says US Ambassador To Nigeria / If Herdsman Had Known That Deltans Were Tough People They Wouldn't Have Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.