Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless (5145 Views)

World Bank Is Currently Recruiting Young Nigerians (see Link And Apply) / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. / 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Covopfinconsult: 6:30pm On Dec 22, 2012
Recent findings from public surveys conducted in Nigeria reveal that over 30 million young Nigerians (below 40years) are unemployed or under-employed.
Why? Many people say government caused it all. But i disagree with them because even in developed nations of the world like UK, USA,Germany,Spain etc, there are still millions of jobless youths.Though, past and present Nigerian leaders have failed us in the area of job creation but the truth is that over 80% of reasons for joblessness are personal. Then, what are the real reasons for joblessness, here are 10 of them below

(1) Lack of discovery of individual potentials
(2) Wrong choice of academic or career pursuits
(3) Low creativity and innovation
(4) Wrong public opinion
(5) Personal sentiment
(6) Laziness
(7) Over dependence on corporate jobs
(cool Get rich quick syndrome
(9) Unwillingness to serve others or start small
(10)Ignorance of available job opportunities.

Are you presently unemployed or under-employed?Conduct a thorough self examination to see if one these reasons is the cause.

If you need further free counsel, pls call [number hidden]

See you on top!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Covopfinconsult: 8:34pm On Dec 22, 2012
If you are free from these points mentioned, then you are free from joblessness!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Professor2know: 2:28am On Dec 23, 2012
Covopfinconsult, i can't agree less with you; you must have been deeply thoughtful before this submission.

Any one who's jobless in Naija must be suffering from at least, one or a combination of "viruses" you postulated above, and needs to go for general checkup before the virus or viruses eat deep into his/her "kidneys".
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Basichus: 4:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
may be you are already employed,that's the cause of all these.who told u that Nigerian graduates do not meet these
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by magnificio(m): 9:46am On Dec 24, 2012
30million...are u sure abt dat stat?even d govt dont knw hw many nigerians r unemployed...trying to sell ur product i bet angry
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
@OP, this your post is the one reason you are jobless...what are u working with..facts or imagination, go and conduct your research very well, before coming here to post shits...see who is not jobless..abi "jobful"...anyhow
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Professor2know: 5:28pm On Dec 24, 2012
@Covopfinconsult,

I don't envy you of whatever job you do. Even if you are using this strategy to promote your line of business, I think i will not lambast you either.

I will not also join any body to puncture the ideals of your submission. But having said that, i think most of the respondents to this post seem to look it from the the validity of the number of jobless youths in Nigeria. Much as I appreciate their sentiments, i must not also throw away the facts from the content of the posting, because they are loaded. Put accurate figures of jobless Nigerian youths aside; are there no huge percentage of jobless people in Nigeria?

Even amongst the So-called "gainfully" employed ones, how much is the average salary scale of Nigerian graduates in Nigeria today? Dear NairaLanders, any Nigerian degree holder earning less than US$1,000/month (i.e. =N=160,000/month) is not gainfully employed. Rather, he is under employed. Any school certificate holder, who earns less than =N=50k is under employed.

If you critically analyse Covopfinconsult postulation, I think he has not gotten anything wrong, as far as i'm concerned.

I won't over flog my support of his view because it only takes the deep to understand the deep

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Westlord: 7:56pm On Dec 24, 2012
@Covop...... where & how did U get d@ authority or fact. Secondly wh@ is Ur qualification.
Scruitinise wh@ U say because U just might b a victim or will somehow wish U neva said somthings
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 24, 2012
Westlord: @Covop...... where & how did U get d@ authority or fact. Secondly wh@ is Ur qualification.
Scruitinise wh@ U say because U just might b a victim or will somehow wish U neva said somthings

Help me tell am o...even with his fellow "professor too know" that was taking his sides. The OP was jst constructing his write up based on his imaginations..is that how he was taught in school, if he ever went o...
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 24, 2012
@OP I am calling your number nah, and u are not picking it....hahaha...for free counselling indeed...
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Professor2know: 8:59am On Dec 25, 2012
Hayjaycity:

Help me tell am o...even with his fellow "professor too know" that was taking his sides. The OP was jst constructing his write up based on his imaginations..is that how he was taught in school, if he ever went o...

@HAYJAYCITY & OTHERS,
Could u all please tell me and other Nairalanders, who may want 2 gain from your wisdom, one offence of covopfinconsult?

Unfortunately, he has not come out 2 validate his stance. Nevertheless, even though I'm not holding brief for him, i won't equally hold back from d fact that covopfinconsult pointed out facts that are inalienable: whether imaginative or speculative.

Now, let us put sentiments where they belong (in the mud), and sincerely take some time to analyse those 10 reasons above. I know if you are still jobless u probably fall short of at least one of them.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Westlord: 2:56pm On Dec 25, 2012
Professor2know:

@HAYJAYCITY & OTHERS,
Could u all please tell me and other Nairalanders, who may want 2 gain from your wisdom, one offence of covopfinconsult?

Unfortunately, he has not come out 2 validate his stance. Nevertheless, even though I'm not holding brief for him, i won't equally hold back from d fact that covopfinconsult pointed out facts that are inalienable: whether imaginative or speculative.

Now, let us put sentiments where they belong (in the mud), and sincerely take some time to analyse those 10 reasons above. I know if you are still jobless u probably fall short of at least one of them.
Alright Prof. I agree with U and I also want to let U knw d@ sound & healthy opinions & judgments are based on facts & precision.
Talking about analysis & placing sentiment whre it blongs, U have a point & also an unfinishd work else U just might scale those 10 reasons to 100.
Hint, an Unemployed (wh@ U mistake for jobless) person is differnt 4rm an Unemployable person.
Cheers smiley wink
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Professor2know: 3:41pm On Dec 25, 2012
Westlord:
Alright Prof. I agree with U and I also want to let U knw d@ sound & healthy opinions & judgments are based on facts & precision.
Talking about analysis & placing sentiment whre it blongs, U have a point & also an unfinishd work else U just might scale those 10 reasons to 100.
Hint, an Unemployed (wh@ U mistake for jobless) person is differnt 4rm an Unemployable person.
Cheers smiley wink

@Westlord,
i'm pretty sure that factors responsible 4 unemployment or joblessness in this country are far more than just 10. Even the government policy is not spared in it too.

But, what do we say to some graduates that were found unemployable, even at the point of getting the jobs?

u talked about sound & healthy opinion that should be based on accuracy & precision, forgetting that even computer also has some percentage of inaccuracy. no matter the extent of inaccuracy in covopfinconsult submission, he has made a valid contribution that should be corroborated for all of us to learn
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Westlord: 4:13pm On Dec 25, 2012
Professor2know:

@Westlord,
i'm pretty sure that factors responsible 4 unemployment or joblessness in this country are far more than just 10. Even the government policy is not spared in it too.

But, what do we say to some graduates that were found unemployable, even at the point of getting the jobs?

u talked about sound & healthy opinion that should be based on accuracy & precision, forgetting that even computer also has some percentage of inaccuracy. no matter the extent of inaccuracy in covopfinconsult submission, he has made a valid contribution that should be corroborated for all of us to learn
Whether it is corroborated or not d buttomline is d@ statistics have not VALIDLY specified or even authenticated d reasons behind d sordid enployment profile. D@ make d@ material by d presenter not conducive. I recomend both of U engage an appropri8 research bearing in mind, protocols, d@ will just make wh@ ever U want to say an authority while mine a criticism.
Divergent views outweigh Convergent toughts because d toughts are hopes
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by 1forall: 6:02pm On Dec 25, 2012
I agree with the OP to a large extent though I'm not sure whether the 80% statistic is based on research or just an arbitrary figure.
We see a number of the listed reasons on this Jobs forum too, for example:

Laziness: Some people come here to enquire about potential employers without doing even a little google search themselves beforehand. Some complain that a post is too long and can't be bothered to read it. Some see an advertised vacancy and still post "Can I apply?" If things like that are not laziness then I don't know what they are.

Wanting to get rich quick: Someone would post an obviously dubious post offering the world for nothing, and you would see people falling over themselves to drop their email addresses, nearly begging to be contacted. The desire to get rich quick impairs their sense of judgement and later some return to complain of being cheated or scammed or stuff like that.

And now that someone is nice enough to point out helpful & obvious truths like the OP, some shall still prefer to reject the truth for reasons only they can explain (or maybe they feel indicted).

OP what's your number 4 reason 'wrong public opinion', can you explain that?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Westlord: 11:21pm On Dec 25, 2012
1forall: I agree with the OP to a large extent though I'm not sure the 80% statistic is based on research or just an arbitrary figure.
We see a number of the listed reasons on this Jobs forum too for example:

Laziness: Some people come here to enquire about potential employers without doing even a little google search themselves beforehand. Some complain that a post is too long and can't be bothered to read it. Some see an advertised vacancy and still post "Can I apply?" If things like that are not laziness then I don't know what they are.

Wanting to get rich quick: Someone would post an obviously dubious post offering the world for nothing, and you would see people falling over themselves to drop their email addresses, nearly begging to be contacted. The desire to get rich quick impairs their sense of judgement and later some return to complain of being cheated or scammed or stuff like that.

And now that someone is nice enough to point out helpful & obvious truths like the OP, some shall still prefer to reject the truth for reasons only they can explain (or maybe they feel indicted).

OP what's your number 4 reason 'wrong public opinion', can you explain that?
Good one, infact an elaborative view. I 'll always agree with any opinion because it has undergone a tought process.
Thank Goodness NairaLand is now an object or case study. Check out d statistics of d 'Lazy' ones who can not read through a thread to get info, U will get figures or ratio; as part of futher research, find out why (Hint: note d difference btwn impatience & laziness) den check out the number of views quotes & replies to threads, if U care, check d quality also,
God has given Us wisdom to judge rights or wrongs, it behoves on us to exemplify d@ which hv been granted unto us, total control; Choice.
For d records, I 'm an Architect & Designer doing my PP tinz, I stil apply for job & I knw d@ wch I apply 4. So am I 'jobless' or whch number of d above stated reasons indicts (me)
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Westlord: 11:54pm On Dec 25, 2012
Inconsistency to specifics will always b a problem to consistent developmen talkless of apparent growth.
Nigerians (whether young, old or youth(unemployable, unemployed or employed) are ambassadors of productivity if not for & irrespective of the social & political misfortunes. Engage in exposure, leave your confort zone and explore Nigerians, U will find d@ despite our defficiency, we still extol lest cosider if we had an even platform with d global community, U did be amazed d@ none of 'your 10 reasons' is any point near ingnorance (d main reason) which is d basis of dis (your) conclusion(s). I am so particular about dis because I 'v done it as a Thesis Project.
The '30 Million' Nigerians are not lazy or deficient of what it takes. If U think so,encourage a lazy man den he will do better.
Thank yo
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Professor2know: 9:17am On Dec 26, 2012
@WESTLORD,

I'm happy 4 d fact that u are logically shifting from your original opinion against d 10 points from d OP.

I'm also sincerely happier that u said u are an "architect & designer" and yet still look 4 jobs. But, i'm both amazed & amused that u cud not find any of d above 10 points that "indicts" u.

Now, let me help u out here if u won't pick offence in that because it might help tens of tens of hundreds of NAIRALANDERS, who ar in ur shoes right now.

I'm sorry u ar being affected WITH number 1,3 & 4 factors.
(1). LACK OF DISCOVERY OF INDIVIDUAL POTENTIAL
After 2 years of vigorously scouting 4 jobs failed, & along D line fell into d hands of fake & job scammers, scooping some money from him, a friend of mine (name withheld 4 respect of privacy), who had an HND in architecture from FEDPOADO, took 2 personal biz, designing for prospects (sometimes doing it free 2 gain their hearts). 2day, he drives his car, lives in 2-bed

(3) LACK OF CREATIVITY & INNOVATION

(4) WRONG PUBLIC OPINION
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Professor2know: 10:01am On Dec 26, 2012
@1FORALL,

I love ur composition on this matter. at least u are not joining matters with d insignificance of whether d statistics of 30 million figures quoted by d OP was wrong or not.

Unfortunately OP is not sharing his thoughts further in this matter. I guess d topic is getting hotter dan his caprices.

let PROF help u further on d number 4 point above "WRONG PUBLIC OPINION"

This factor is one of d major reasons most people are either unemployed or underemployed. i'll mention some of d myths below while living u 2 think further on them.

1. salary/job mentality
2. no degree or big certification no success
3. u need money 2 make money
4. as a degree holder u need 2 be job specific

these 4 highligts are not exhaustive WRONG PUBLIC OPINIONS; they are only meant to serve as eye-openers. so u ruminate further about it.

u can see d likes WESTLORD, still looking 4 jobs instead of painstakingly working around his present challenges 2 assert himself in his architectural design personal biz.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Westlord: 11:29am On Dec 26, 2012
I apprc8 all d drops, I ve learnt new tins, bt 1 tin is sure dynamism is d surest witness;
As our identity varies, so our ambition & prospect. So no mata how much U try dere ar so many people who 'll just nt buy in just because of d insecurity of standing up to truth wch is percieved as weakness most worrisome is its dominance amongst Nigerians & d scope in question.
All man 4 himself, God 4 all, our future 'll judge & mother earth will conclude 6 feet below her bossom.
God has given us control over everythng in this world bt d 1 & only tine we ar in total control of is Choice. Make Urs

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Covopfinconsult: 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
Fellow Nairalanders, we tender sincere apology for late response to comments on the initial post on 22nd Dec 2012 titled 10 reasons why over 30million young Nigerians are jobless. It was due to long awaited Christmas holiday.

Having read through the various submissions (commendations and criticisms) posted by different people on this topic. We are strongly obliged to verify the accuracy of the estimated figure of unemployed and under-employed young Nigerians published so that the good intention of the post which is self examination shall not be misunderstood.

The following findings serve as basis of the estimated figure of “30million” jobless young Nigerians:

(1) On August 5, 2012, it was reported by Channels TV that the Director General of National Population Commission, Mr Jamin Zuberna declared during an interview with Punch newspaper that 167million people are estimated to be resident in Nigeria presently.
(2) In January 2012, during an interview on NTA, the Nigerian Minister for Youths, Mallam Bolaji said that based on national figures, about 37% of Nigerians are youths By simple calculation based on figure quoted in (1) above, the no of youths in Nigeria is estimated to be 61.79million.
(3) CIA World fact book says that Nigerian labour force figure in 2011 is estimated as 57.2% of the population which translates to 95.5million Nigerians which are mostly below 40years.
(4) In 2011, World Bank published that about 60% of Nigerian workers earn less than $10 per day. This translates to $300 or N48, 000 per month which we consider as under-employed for any skilled worker. Considering the figures in (3) above, it implies that 57.3million Nigerian workers are under-employed.
(5) In Nov 2012, Vanguard newspaper published that the Statistician General of the Federation, Dr Temi Kale put the number of jobless Nigerians 20.3million.
(6) Going by the reports in (1) to (5) above, we estimated the number of young Nigerians below 40years who are either unemployed or under-employed referred to as jobless to be over 30million.

Therefore, we did not quote an imaginative or arbitrary figure to attract the attention of anyone to either the article posted or our organization. However, we understand that any public publication like this is subject to public scrutiny, criticism and commendation based on each reader’s level of awareness and understanding of this discourse. We stand to make meaningful contribution on this platform to add value to the lives of young Nigerians in the area of career fulfillment through meaningful publications expected to provoke self examination in each reader’s thoughts.

We appreciate every comment posted on this topic and regard as valuable contribution in this discourse towards the achievement of the set goal.

Thank you
Olusina Livingstone
For: Covop Limited.

For further enquiries, you may call [number hidden]

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 31, 2013
trash!!!! pure trash!!!!!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by dridowu: 12:26pm On May 31, 2013
D only thing i will agree on is Point 9 but 4 odas no talk reach dat area
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by Jarus(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2013
Covopfinconsult: Recent findings from public surveys conducted in Nigeria reveal that over 30 million young Nigerians (below 40years) are unemployed or under-employed.
Why? Many people say government caused it all. But i disagree with them because even in developed nations of the world like UK, USA,Germany,Spain etc, there are still millions of jobless youths.Though, past and present Nigerian leaders have failed us in the area of job creation but the truth is that over 80% of reasons for joblessness are personal. Then, what are the real reasons for joblessness, here are 10 of them below

(4) Wrong public opinion
(5) Personal sentiment
(6) Laziness

Are you presently unemployed or under-employed?Conduct a thorough self examination to see if one these reasons is the cause.

See you on top!

Spot on.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by escobar07(m): 1:15pm On May 31, 2013
one more thing:lack of an enabling environment
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by orgasticdance: 1:43pm On May 31, 2013
Covopfinconsult: Recent findings from public surveys conducted in Nigeria reveal that over 30 million young Nigerians (below 40years) are unemployed or under-employed.

(4) Wrong public opinion
(5) Personal sentiment
(6) Laziness

See you on top!

One thing your insightful post failed to mention was a poor education system and a cultural ethic of hardwork. Everything else hinges on these two factors. That's what this society crucially lacks. And by education I don't mean the paper certificates most of our graduates spend ten years to acquire, but the basic literacy and quantitative skills that you should have by the time you are 13-16. I was in a cab one day in abuja and the driver was bemoaning the rate at which beggers and street urchins cluster our roads. They have little or no physical deformities yet they choose to beg instead of using their hands to toil the soil with their god given talents. I thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion that they probably do not know better. That's my point, without that knowledge that as a human being you don't need to depend on anyone for ur livelihood you are doomed to a life of dependency. And the rent seeking mentality of our leaders does not help; it's a plague that curses down through the veins and arteries of the nigerian societal fabric. It's ok for the occasional ardworking entrepreneur to make a kill from his tailoring business because he was lucky to be born into a family where these values are enthroned. If on the other hand u are born into a family of jerks, chances are far higher ur screwed for life...

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by diarra94(m): 1:44pm On May 31, 2013
escobar07: one more thing:lack of an enabling environment
on point
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by angayejuni: 3:23pm On May 31, 2013
diarra94: on point
the environment is always enabling in some sort of weird and twisted way. It takes a genius to see possibilities when others see nothing.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by angayejuni: 3:24pm On May 31, 2013
dridowu: D only thing i will agree on is Point 9 but 4 odas no talk reach dat area
then u know nothing becos all what the original poster said is a fact. don't hate appreciate!!! good thoughts should make u better
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by 400billionman: 3:33pm On Oct 27, 2015
Youths have abandoned APPRENTICESHIP..
Re: 10 Reasons Why Over 30million Young Nigerians Are Jobless by 400billionman: 3:36pm On Oct 27, 2015
magnificio:
30million...are u sure abt dat stat?even d govt dont knw hw many nigerians r unemployed...trying to sell ur product i bet angry

https://www.nairaland.com/760340/33-million-nigerians-jobless-nbs

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Staffs Needed @ Invsahre... Igando/ikotun Axis (12 Positions) / De Skyline Hotel Vacancies / State Security Service Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.