Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,027 members, 7,835,484 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? (7869 Views)

What Is Prof. Osibanjo Telling Tinubu And Co? (funny Picture) / Show Of Shame As Govt, Security Officials Turn Govt House To Boxing Arena / Where Is Prof Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
demmy:

Do you believe Awolowo deliberately tried to kill Igbos so he could become president?

That I don't know, I can't say what is in Awo's mind. Achebe had his view and that is his view. But for some of you ignorant idi0ts to jump up and poor insults on a man who has paid his dues is absolutely stupid.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Elueme: 9:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

.....and it shall continue untill they bow down or bow out. yanmiri's incessant arrogance must be suppressed, through self-transformation or painful humiliation. yanmiri is a nobody in this country. you have declared biafra twice (1967 and 2012), so what are you still waiting in Nigeria for? Cut yourself off, everything east of the niger, the people, the land the oil and go.
Their going may be an invitation to anarchy. Are you sure you and your tribal warlords can stand the hunger that will be melted to you hitherto? Am not Igbo o but I have followed tribal threads enough to say you Yorubas are nasscistic hence the need for change in your poor mentality.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:
You sound dumb honestly! If a dullard like you does not read it many more people will read it and with an open mind. So you are inconsequential.

Go and get a life.

Unlike you and your borderline retar.d rate IQ, I sense crap from afar... I read the preview before wasting my hard earned money of any book - and the review of the book already told me what to expect from the fictional ethnocentric book...

Get a freaking life and stop parroting nonsense here, simpleton!!
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by coogar: 9:30pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

That is the problem with most of you. You do not sound like someone who has read the book. You just hear Awo's name being mentioned and you spring up. Did Achebe ever state that Awo never made such visits?

Go and read the book and read it properly with an open mind before typing your trash here. Achebe may have gotten some things wrong but one thing you cannot deny is the fact that Awo had an ambition and he went about it playing the tribal card. It is not different from what we see in today's politics.

oh shut up - have you read the book yourself?
awo had no such ambition - awolowo wasn't the one that refused to take the offer of a corridor to send relief aid to the starving biafrans. ojukwu was offered $600,000 by the british government which he also refused! ojukwu used the pictures of the kwashiorkor kids to build a propaganda so the rest of the world can sympathise with them but the plan backfired!
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:30pm On Dec 23, 2012
shymexx:

He had a mission to capture power, yet he voluntarily resigned after the civil war.... Most of dolts are just too stupid to use the brain cells God gave you - all you do is parrot the nonsense spewed by your overrated and tribalistic 'heroes'.

So, a book written by an unrepentant Biafran propagandist should be the "bible" for the civil war, no??

Again, get a freaking life!!

Mugu, he resigned to strategies politically and it was all for power. Go and read and get some knowledge and stop acting like a scumbag.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:32pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:

awo had no such ambition - awolowo wasn't the one that refused to take the offer of a corridor to send relief aid to the starving biafrans. ojukwu was offered $600,000 by the british government which he also refused! ojukwu used the pictures of the kwashiorkor kids to build a propaganda so the rest of the world can sympathise with them but the plan backfired!

Awo had no ambition? You are a big m0r0n.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by demmy(m): 9:33pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

That I don't know, I can't say what is in Awo's mind. Achebe had his view and that is his view. But for some of you ignorant idi0ts to jump up and poor insults on a man who has paid his dues is absolutely stupid.

I see. Its ok for Achebe to pour unwarranted accusations on Awolowo, who tried all he could to prevent the war but if we respond to Achebe's nonsense we are the bad guys
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:

Don't mind them - they declare a war, invaded "neutral" regions, had their eyes on capturing Lagos - yet they want everyone to join the "empathy" party when their plans backfired... These people are crazy!!

Separatists always stay and fight in their region, however, Biafrans broke that rule... Yet no one is talking about Ojukwu wanting to overthrow Nigeria and lord over everyone in Southern Nigeria...

God bless Awolowo - eat a fat dyck if you don't like that!!
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
demmy:

I see. Its ok for Achebe to pour unwarranted accusations on Awolowo, who tried all he could to prevent the war but if we respond to Achebe's nonsense we are the bad guys

Am I Ibo? Do I agree entirely with Achebe? No.

But I read with an open mind that is the difference. Just because he mentioned Awo is not a reason for you idi0ts to disrespect him.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

That is the problem with most of you. You do not sound like someone who has read the book. You just hear Awo's name being mentioned and you spring up. Did Achebe ever state that Awo never made such visits?

Go and read the book and read it properly with an open mind before typing your trash here. Achebe may have gotten some things wrong but one thing you cannot deny is the fact that Awo had an ambition and he went about it playing the tribal card. It is not different from what we see in today's politics.

Is there a place in the book where Achebe later refuted his earlier claim that Awo was responsible for the genocide?

What was wrong with Awolowo's ambition to rule Nigeria? Did Zik not nurse similar ambitions? Who did not or does not play ethnic card in Nigerian politics? What is even wrong in playing tribal card? Tell me what's wrong if I as a responsible Yoruba man ask my fellow Yoruba to vote and protect their interests? Would I be considered nationalist by telling them to vote against their own progress? Did ZIk, Bello and others ask their people to vote against their interests?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by coogar: 9:36pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:
Awo had no ambition? You are a big m0r0n.

yes, awo had no such ambition to wreck havoc in the east unless you are a hypersensitive imbëcile........the war could have been averted had ojukwu listened.
this is an excerpt of achebe's new book where raph uwechue(biafra's envoy to paris criticised ojukwu's decisions).....

1 Like

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

Mugu, he resigned to strategies politically and it was all for power. Go and read and get some knowledge and stop acting like a scumbag.

Read what?? A book by the head of the Biafran propaganda machine, no??

Nah, why can't you open my head - and superglue the biased, sentimental, and the ethnocentric jejune fictional tale there?? undecided
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by BlackBaron: 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2012
berem: I have never heard Nairaland being mentioned on TV or Radio.I never read about it on nigerian dailies.why because it is a forum where the owner has made it a place to promote ethnic bigotry. Too Bad!! What a shame!

Pot calling kettle black. shocked
Nothing grates me more when I see accursed bigots from the same enclave as your irredeemable adversaries spewing bullshites, yet painting others black. Ain't you among the same clique of damaged buffoons who revel in degrading other ethnic groups. Yet quick to call out others for a crime in which you an active collaborator.
SMDH.

Nowt against Achebe, he's entitled to his opinion. Surely doesn't deserve to be in the hall of shame for all I care.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:40pm On Dec 23, 2012
shymexx:

Nah, why can't you open my head - and superglue the biased, sentimental, and the ethnocentric jejune fictional tale there?? undecided

You are inconsequential. The man does not need a ruffian like you to read his work. Better people have used and still use his work in the academic literature. So go and smoke your weed.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by coogar: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2012
shymexx:

achebe's book would have been the greatest book ever written by a nigerian if he had just stuck to the facts instead of his bigotry and his cheap attempts to denigrate the other tribes in nigeria. he claimed the others simply envy the igbos - that to me is nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by demmy(m): 9:44pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

Am I Ibo? Do I agree entirely with Achebe? No.

But I read with an open mind that is the difference. Just because he mentioned Awo is not a reason for you idi0ts to disrespect him.

He did not just mentioned Awolowo's name. He explicitly accused him of genocide.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:45pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:

yes, awo had no such ambition to wreck havoc in the east unless you are a hypersensitive imbëcile........the war could have been averted had ojukwu listened.
this is an excerpt of achebe's new book where raph uwechue(biafra's envoy to paris criticised ojukwu's decisions).....

That is a freaking lie. Awo had such an ambition. Before and after the first coup, there was a "we against them mentality" in the country. It was not and never limited to the Yoruba people alone. The North had that mentality and same with the east.

It was a mentality of hate built by selfish politicians including Awo. You cannot exonerate him from those events. So some of you here coming to accuse the man of being a bigot without an understanding of the environment at the time are absolutely daft.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 23, 2012
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinions - however, if you're an "icon" in a country, you need to be objective when giving your opinions... Furthermore, you also need to know how not to polarise an already divided country with your opinions... Achebe broke those rules - and he deserves the first ballot box of NL's hall of shame, period...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2012
shymexx: Everyone is entitled to his/her opinions - however, if you're an "icon" in a country, you need to be objective when giving your opinions... Furthermore, you also need to know how not to polarise an already divided country with your opinions... Achebe broke those rules - and he deserves the first ballot box of NL's hall of shame, period...

grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:
You are inconsequential. The man does not need a ruffian like you to read his work. Better people have used and still use his work in the academic literature. So go and smoke your weed.

You're a dolt!! The same "ruffian" is well-read and have achieved more than you'll ever achieve in your sad and pathetic life, you homoerotic bastard!!

Go cry about whoever the fvck you whine about all over nl - you uneducated prick!!

Fvck off and get a freaking!!
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by BlackPikiN(m): 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
Airgram From the Embassy in Nigeria to the Department of State 1

Lagos, March 7, 1968.

[size=20pt] The record of Awolowo, the only major political leader left in Nigeria, made it highly likely that his stand would be strongly influenced by his antipathy toward the Ibos and that he would opt for unity if offered a leading role in the FMG.[/size]

http://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1964-68v24/d395
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:

achebe's book would have been the greatest book ever written by a nigerian if he had just stuck to the facts instead of his bigotry and his cheap attempts to denigrate the other tribes in nigeria. he claimed the others simply envy the igbos - that to me is nonsense!

The man suffers from grandiose delusions!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

That is a freaking lie. Awo had such an ambition. Before and after the first coup, there was a "we against them mentality" in the country. It was not and never limited to the Yoruba people alone. The North had that mentality and same with the east.

It was a mentality of hate built by selfish politicians including Awo. You cannot exonerate him from those events. So some of you here coming to accuse the man of being a bigot without an understanding of the environment at the time are absolutely daft.

Where was Awolowo when the first coup was planned and executed? Did Awolowo plan any coup? Did Awolowo ask the plotters who were largely of Igbo extraction to execute leaders of other regions but preserve theirs? What type of mentality would have ensued after such a coup-the one that all would shout of Igbo love to high heavens? Was Awolowo responsible for such mentality?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by coogar: 9:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

you are a tool - before the first coup, the igbos weren't contented with how the brits left the country in the hands of the hausa/fulanis. the first coup was plotted by mainly igbo soldiers and they targeted hausa/fulani officers. the fulanis retaliated with pogroms which anyone would have predicted in a young country like nigeria. the igbos felt cheated especially when the federal government didn't do anything tangible to stop the mass killings of the igbos especially in the north - and the igbos sought secession. how does this have anything to do with awolowo?

stop smoking your pubic hair.....
the single most important fact is ojukwu could have averted that war. gowon even made last minute arrangements to do a peace talks with ojukwu in a foreign land. he was ready to meet all the conditions tendered by ojukwu but he still refused to take the option. the problem with ojukwu was that he's a spoilt kid - he saw himself as too superior to gowon to respect gowon's issues. he put his ego before 3 million igbos and sent them to their deaths!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Afam4eva(m): 9:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:

Bros, i thought you were Igbo.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 23, 2012
Imagine a cu.nt who can't even write proper English to save his/her life calling someone; a ruffian... grin

You think everyone belongs to your sheepish "hero-worshipping" nonsense??
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by ballabriggs: 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:

Is he wrong? May not necessarily be envy but the truth is the way the Igbo man carries himself makes a lot of people dislike them.

Personally I see Igbo people as loud mouthed and this is what he echoed in that book. It is also similar to what he wrote in his work "The trouble with Nigeria". In fact in his work the trouble with Nigeria, he dedicated one chapter on "the trouble with Igbo people" and absolutely lambasted them in that chapter.

But you all don't read, you just open your mouths because you heard the word "Awo" in the book.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Afam4eva(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2012
coogar:
stop smoking your pubic hair.....
the single most important fact is ojukwu could have averted that war. gowon even made last minute arrangements to do a peace talks with ojukwu in a foreign land. he was ready to meet all the conditions tendered by ojukwu but he still refused to take the option[b][/b]. the problem with ojukwu was that he's a spoilt kid - he saw himself as too superior to gowon to respect gowon's issues. he put his ego before 3 million igbos and sent them to their deaths!
Can you pls expatiate on the bolded.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Afam4eva(m): 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

Is he wrong? May not necessarily be envy but the truth is the way the Igbo man carries himself makes a lot of people dislike them.

Personally I see Igbo people as loud mouthed and this is what he echoed in that book. It is also similar to what he wrote in his work "The trouble with Nigeria". In fact in his work the trouble with Nigeria, he dedicated one chapter on "the trouble with Igbo people" and absolutely lambasted them in that chapter.

But you all don't read, you just open your mouths because you heard the word "Awo" in the book.[b][/b]
If Achebe had written bad things about Ahmadu Bello, Murtala Muhamed and any Northern leader even the Yoruba leaders would have supported him but he wrote something about Awo and all hell was let lose.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
Another question:

- When is Achebe going to call out Nnamdi Azikwe for abandoning them when the going got tough after composing the national anthem for Biafra??

The man is so fixated about the roles people from the other ethnic groups played in the war - what about people from his own ethnic group

1 Like

Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by demmy(m): 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

We know the role everyone played in the 2nd republic, Awolowo however went to jail and there and then was where his role ended. What role did Achebe and his likes played? Was he a peace maker? Wasn't Achebe the one on Radio Biafra fueling the fire? Yes Achebe was and is still a bigot.
Re: Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? by coogar: 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2012
afam4eva:
Bros, i thought you were Igbo.

igbo through and through but the manner by which our people take this biafra dream is nauseating. it's a dead and buried issue. forget it and let's move on. achebe is a well-respected man. he had the opportunity to kill this matter once and for all without apportioning blames or denigrating the other tribes but he failed woefully!

afam4eva:
Can you pls expatiate on the bolded.

i will post excerpts of achebe's book from my ibook in a moment....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Borno To Pay Parents Who Send Their Children To School / Radio Biafra Launches Short Wave Transmitter, To Begin Broadcast On 24th Aug 15 / Governors, Speakers Meet Over Constitution Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.