Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? (5564 Views)

Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / How Can I Receive A Parcel From US To Nigeria And Be Able To Pick It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by SIBLI06(m): 9:16am On Apr 26, 2006
Hello All,

I'm in a fix, my first child is due to be born in July. My wife and I have decided due to my work load it will be better if our child is born in Nigeria as opposed to the UK. Now the problem is I have bought a lot of toys and cloths for our son that have been delivered to my parents house in the UK.

Does anybody know of a good parcel delivery service operating between UK & Nigeria? I have received quotes from DHL and they charge $800 for a 32KG suitcase (Door - to - Door Service) expensive or what??

If I was to travel I would only go for 2 - 3 days maximum, @ $1200 that also seems expensive and does not take into account the money that I will loose from missing work.

Does anybody have any alternatives to discuss?

Thanks for your time!
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by OldGlory1(m): 6:05pm On Apr 26, 2006
There are door- door delivery services in the UK that are much cheaper than $800 for an 80LB Suitcase. Or find someone coming to Nigeria and pay them $180 for excess baggage and then pick up the suitcase at the airport in Lagos.
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by kimba(m): 8:03am On Apr 27, 2006
@SIBIL_06
if "reliable" is what you are looking for, then stick with DHL. All the others around the country are chua-chua's. Some months ago, I ordered for some CDs online using a courier-company in Lagos here, believe it, the CDs(2) arrived 2months after the date of dispatch from the office of those I bought them from(in the US).

THe reason:
- the CDs first travelled from Sales company to the U.S.A address of the Nigerian courier company, spent 1 week there.
- the CDs left the U.S to go join some other goods at the UK address of the courier company, spent like 3 wks there. The goods "were not up to total delivery amount" so they all have to wait until some other peeps from nowhere order stuff, for the company to bring all of them into Nigeria at the same time.

I was so pissed, i had to pay online again for the same goods, ask the software company to give me download access(they were quite surprised that after 2wks the CDs havent gotten into my hands), and in I was already using the software for about 3wks before the first ones I ordered on CD arrived.

So for your matter of toys, if you could get someone to pick them up for you, someone going, UK to Nigeria,

what a shame!! sad
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by SIBLI06(m): 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2006
thanks kimba, i would be annoyed as well. Especially in this case as the contents are for my baby. I suppose I could organise it now for my babies 18th b'day though. Thanks again.

@old glorry, nice thought. Would you carry a case for somebody else? I know I would not! Too much to risk! I could be packing drugs in the teddy bears!!!

I would pay though if somebody could do it!!!!
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by OldGlory1(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2006
Drugs from London to Nigeria? Nah! I do not think so. I would not carry anything for someone if i were going from Nigeria to London or the US or anywhere period. Except i know them well and i check everything personally. But people carry things for people all the time from the west back home. No one will be that dumb to take drugs from London(Where it is in demand) to Nigeria(Where drugs are in abundance).
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by Mongue(m): 11:27am On May 01, 2006
Hi Sibli,

In my work we air freight goods everyweek.

We use a company called Metropl and the charge about £2.00kg on the gross weight for the air freight cost and then an additional N195kg for the local clearing charges. If you send the things to their office in London they can send them on within 5 days.

You can see them at www.metropol-ltd.com

They are very reliable and quick.

Drop me a line if you want me to give you my contacts details here (mattholmes74@hotmail.com)
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by SIBLI06(m): 11:20am On May 02, 2006
@monqe, cheers for the contact , will certainly look into it. smiley
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by Mongue(m): 5:15pm On May 03, 2006
I'm sure these guys will do a good job at a decent price. As I said if you want it I can give you the name and number of the contact in Lagos.

By the way I was interested to read that you are now planning to have the baby in Lagos. My wife and I went to look at Reddington Hospital today which is a brand spanking new state of the art hospital in VI, It is right next to Mega-Plaza and was previously the Cardiac Centre. They have now reopened as a multi-purpose hospital and it is actually much better than the hospital we went to in the UK for our first baby.

They couldn't give us the prices today but I imagine it will be a lot, they would confirm by Friday. They are linked with BUPA though. If you have the time it's well worth having a look. You can call them on 01 262 1244.
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by wweekes(m): 9:15pm On Jan 31, 2008
Hi,

I'm a shipping company that does Roll on Roll off shipping for cars and suv's from 1500.00 to 2600.00 depending on the size and the country its going to. We are also a DHL Authorized shipping center that provides 30-40 percent off of all DHL shipments, We also do ocean cargo to Nigeria @ $350 per CBM. We are located in Orange, NJ, and accept Credit Cards for all DHL Shipments. We are a licensed and bonded company and licensed with the FMC as a NVOCC. for more information please contact us @ 973-674-8932. or via email at wweekes@gmail.com

WE ACCEPT VISA & MASTERCARD, WE ARE LOCATED IN NJ BUT I CAN SEND SHIPPING LABELS TO YOU VIA FAX OR EMAIL.

--
WESLEY W. WEEKES JR.
International Logistics Coordinator
WW Messenger & Shiping Co.
51 Main St.
Orange, NJ 07050
Phone: 973-674-8932
Fax: 973-675-1300
Email: wweekes@gmail.com
A DHL Preferred Provider
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by londonlag: 8:08am On Jun 17, 2010
It is very hard to recommend a particular company since logistic and security is not up to scratch. anything can happen to your goods and no amount of complaint you make can resolve it. i have recently had a bad experience with this company called ROWSY INTERNATIONAL, although they collect the package as arranged but when it was delivered the package has been opened but was sealed back,but they were not able to arrange it back as it was and when it was inspected things have gone missing, and when i lodged complaint i was give all sort of stories,in the end nothing came of it, given no insurance on it i have lost out, so you have to watch out, only go to the one you have been recommended, and still i tell you no guarantees.
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 17, 2010
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by londonlag: 8:45pm On Jun 17, 2010
it is not my first time sending things home, it just happened that the one i normally use had issue with their lease and it affected their business and i had to get the thing home soon for up coming function, so i did a search on the net and found the company, but unfortunately for me i choose a dodgy one. once bitten twice shy, it supposed to a door to door service which is fully paid for upfront, which means custom etc has been included. the things that were missing could not have been taken here in uk because most people can buy one if they need them.
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 14, 2013
Old Glory: Drugs from London to Nigeria? Nah! I do not think so. I would not carry anything for someone if i were going from Nigeria to London or the US or anywhere period. Except i know them well and i check everything personally. But people carry things for people all the time from the west back home. No one will be that dumb to take drugs from London(Where it is in demand) to Nigeria(Where drugs are in abundance).

What if that someone wants you framed? Quite unlikely? One can't be too careful.
Re: To Travel Or Use A Parcel Delivery Service? by meetmal03(f): 3:17pm On Dec 29, 2013
Which courier service will be the most reliable from london to Abuja then asides DHL?
Femade or metrolpol ltd?

(1) (Reply)

Dubai Shopping Festival (PIX Uploaded) / Dear Friends, Has Anyone Got Student Visa To Canada Through Maple Education? / Flight To Belize From Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.