Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,839 members, 7,862,752 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:45 AM

Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? (589 Views)

Before You Send Your Daughter To A University In Ghana, Please Read This. / 6 Types Of Students You Will meet In A University Matriculation Ceremony / What Is The Relevance Of A University Degree To A Nigerian Youth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by Rapmoney(m): 4:02am On Dec 28, 2012
Yesterday, I came across this thread created by one dude who felt or should I say 'convinced' that he was being respected unnecessarily by members of his community because he happens to be a graduate. I laughed. Funny enough, the poor guy graduated 2 months ago! It seems most prospective graduates and the newly graduated are yet to come to terms with reality, or should I say they hate reality? Some still think that they are 'very special people' in the Nigerian environment. WRONG!!!

The bitter truth is that nobody gives a damn about your certificate because there are so many graduates out there. Nigeria is a place where money supercedes the highest degree. Who is a professor to speak when people like General Gbamu-Gbamu, General Migwor, General To(m) Po(lo) , General This and General That have not spoken? Even rich illiterate business people employ graduates as Personal Assistants and pay them 20k bullshi(t) every month!

Apart from having a degree, the present situation demands that parents should make their kids undergo training in a particular trade for 2 yrs before going to the university, especially, those who leave secondary school at the annoying age of 14! They can use such knowledge to create wealth for themselves while in higher institution and become independent before 22!

About 95% of final yr students in our tertiary institutions don't even know what they want to do when they leave school. Pity(ma' face down)
Re: Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 6:06am On Dec 28, 2012
I like it
Re: Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by tboy08: 9:11am On Dec 28, 2012
@rapmoney,you ought to be a motivational speaker.I LOVE IT
Re: Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by Rapmoney(m): 10:01am On Dec 28, 2012
@hisblud, thanks bro
@tboy007, I appreciate...
Re: Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2012
Rapmoney: Yesterday, I came across this thread created by one dude who felt or should I say 'convinced' that he was being respected unnecessarily by members of his community because he happens to be a graduate. I laughed. Funny enough, the poor guy graduated 2 months ago! It seems most prospective graduates and the newly graduated are yet to come to terms with reality, or should I say they hate reality? Some still think that they are 'very special people' in the Nigerian environment. WRONG!!!

The bitter truth is that nobody gives a damn about your certificate because there are so many graduates out there. Nigeria is a place where money supercedes the highest degree. Who is a professor to speak when people like General Gbamu-Gbamu, General Migwor, General To(m) Po(lo) , General This and General That have not spoken? Even rich illiterate business people employ graduates as Personal Assistants and pay them 20k bullshi(t) every month!

Apart from having a degree, the present situation demands that parents should make their kids undergo training in a particular trade for 2 yrs before going to the university, especially, those who leave secondary school at the annoying age of 14! They can use such knowledge to create wealth for themselves while in higher institution and become independent before 22!

About 95% of final yr students in our tertiary institutions don't even know what they want to do when they leave school. Pity(ma' face down)

True talk. Reality!
Re: Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by Pharoh: 5:00pm On Dec 28, 2012
Your society is not limited to Nigeria and whatever education you got in Nigeria can be useful to you outside of Nigeria.
Re: Of What Use Is A University Degree In Our Society Today? by poj(m): 6:05pm On Dec 28, 2012
It boils down to how effectively you put it to use (how beneficial) against all odds.

(1) (Reply)

Students Get Flogged, Bathed With Waste Water In Bizarre Kogi State Uni. Graduat / Schorlaship To Study Abroad / BEWARE 666

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.