Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,744 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia (13408 Views)

Can Someone Clean Up The Wikipedia Page For Igbo People? / Ijaws: Nigeria's Largest Ethnic Group - Wikipedia / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Ikengawo: 6:29pm On Dec 28, 2012
[size=14pt]Oshun[/size]
Oshun, or Ochun (pronounced [ɔʃún]) in the Yoruba religion, is an Orisha who reigns over love, intimacy, beauty, wealth and diplomacy. She is worshipped also in Brazilian Candomblé Ketu, with the name spelled Oxum. She should not be confused, however, with a different Orisha of a similar name spelled "Osun," who is the protector of the Ori, or our heads and inner souls. ochun relates mostly to woman but also man.

Ọṣhun is beneficent, generous and very kind. She does, however, have a horrific temper, one which she seldom ever loses. When she does, it causes untold destruction. Oshun is said to have gone to a drum festival one day and to have fallen in love with the king-dancer Shango, god of lightning & thunder. Since that day, Shango has been married to Oba, Oya, and Oshun, though Oshun is said to be considered his principal wife

In Cuban Santería, Oshun (sometimes spelled Ochún or Ochun) is an Orisha of love, maternity and marriage. She has been syncretized with Our Lady of Charity (La Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre), Cuba's patroness. She is associated with the color yellow, metal brass,[1] peacock feathers, mirrors, honey and anything of beauty, her principal day of the week is Saturday and the number she is associated with is 5. She is the river goddess

In one of the stories featuring her, she is forced to become a prostitute to feed her children and the other Orishas subsequently removed her children from her home while she was away, apparently planning to use them as slaves. Oshun is then said to have gone mad with grief and to have[b] worn the same white dress every day as a symbol of this madness; it eventually turned yellow.[/b] Ajé-Shaluga, another river Orisha, fell in love with her while she was washing the dress in a frenzied state one day. He gave her money and gems, which he collected from the bottom of the river he lived in. She used these items to liberate her children, and ultimately married her kindly benefactor.

Oshun has had many husbands. Different tales attribute husbands to her, including Erinle, Oshosi, Orisha Oko, and Aje'-Shaluga. She is also the sexual partner of, Shango and Ogun at different points.

Her children include the Ibeji twins, Idowu, and Logun Ede.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshun

learning more about yoruba culture today. found this piece interesting
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2012
Lord have serious mercy
Ojigbijigbijigbi
Weird beliefs
This explains a lot of things then
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2012
Ikengawo: [size=14pt]Oshun[/size]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshun

learning more about yoruba culture today. found this piece interesting

As man dey grow, na so him time dey go!

How old are you? Ask yourself if this is what your mates are doing.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 28, 2012
No wonder all dem bukola,bosun , funmi & Tolu nid little or no persuasion.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Ikengawo: 6:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
I did not know their god was a w.hore. chie....

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Dec 28, 2012
Na waoo...No kind thread wey person no go see.
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by larride(m): 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2012
I'm highly disappointed in the OP, is that all you can comprehend in the article Ignorance they say is bliss.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by saintneo(m): 7:38pm On Dec 28, 2012

Modified on 15:55 02JAN2015
I can't recall if this is the original picture I posted on this thread. If it was, I can't remember the joke. lol!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 28, 2012
trouble dey sleep, Igbo dey wake am cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by gbanikiti(m): 8:04pm On Dec 28, 2012
Wow!
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:05pm On Dec 28, 2012
And when we reply in kind, they would moan all over that they are marginalised

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:06pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu: And when we reply in kind, they would moan all over that they are marginalised

Did you know that the godess oshun was a who.re that sold herself to shango and Ogun and the rest of them males ?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:08pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

Did you that the godless oshun was a who.re that sold herself to shango and the rest of them males ?

According to which narrative? Wikipedia? And you tried to tell everyone you are learned?

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:09pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

According to which narrative? Wikipedia? And you tried to tell everyone you are learned?

So is it a lie?
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 28, 2012
Troublesome thread.
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Dec 28, 2012
J12: Troublesome thread.
No be small troublesome.
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

So is it a lie?

Oshun was one of the wives of Shango. Other wives of Shango were Oya and Oba
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2012
afam4eva:
No be small troublesome.

So when the real trouble come hope you people wont be shouting and running to mods?
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:18pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Oshun was one of the wives of Shango. Other wives of Shango were Oya and Oba

So you believe all this cock and bull story?
You have serious issues
Oduduwa also fell down from the skies and landed on his two feet at Ile Ife

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/orisha?before=1338315208

Non Wikipedia reference of the who.redom
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Afam4eva(m): 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

So when the real trouble come hope you people wont be shouting and running to mods?
Are you saying you've never opened a thread like this before? Stop acting all holy. There's no difference between what the OP just did and what you and your likes do very often. Ya'll should be ashamed of yourself. Thank God Seun has decided to appoint an extra hand in this section so that this craziness will be nipped in the bud.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

You have serious issues
Oduduwa also fell down from the skies

Do you believe that Jesus flew to the sky? God created man from clay? A virgin gave birth?

You must have serious issues if you believe the above

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Afam4eva(m): 8:20pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

You have serious issues
Oduduwa also fell down from the skies and landed on his two feet at Ile Ife
Pls let's not insult people's belief no matter how strange it sounds.
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Do you believe that Jesus flew to the sky? God created man from clay? A virgin gave birth?

Then why are you ashamed that oshun was chopping and cleaning mouth and getting paid kwa
How else did she populate the region? grin grin grin
?
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:22pm On Dec 28, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you saying you've never opened a thread like this before? Stop acting all holy. There's no difference between what the OP just did and what you and your likes do very often. Ya'll should be ashamed of yourself. Thank God Seun has decided to appoint an extra hand in this section so that this craziness will be nipped in the bud.

Can you kindly show me a thread I opened like this ? Else na Amadioha go strike you dead.

In your typical bigotted way, You have no words for your kinsman who opened the thread but for me.

Let me tell you something, You can never be a Mod on this forum, I would personally see to that.

You jobless troll

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:23pm On Dec 28, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls let's not insult people's belief no matter how strange it sounds.

If you thought Greek mythology with half man half horse was strange try reading up on Yoruba mythology,the stories will blow you away
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:23pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

Then why are you ashamed that oshun was chopping and cleaning mouth and getting paid kwa
How else did she populate the region? grin grin grin
?

We asked you a question

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

If you thought gravel mythology with half man half horse was strange try reading up on Yoruba mythology,the stories will blow you away

Are you not blown away that a virgin gave birth, Man was created from clay and the Messiah flew into the sky

If one can fly into the sky why cant another drop from the same sky?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Can you kindly show me a thread I opened like this? Else na Amadioha go strike you dead.

In your typical bigotted way, You have no words for your kinsman who opened the thread but for me.

Let me tell you something, You can never be a Mod on this forum, I would personally see to that.

You jobless troll

Nairaland really does give you relevance
Pele

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by dayokanu(m): 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama: Nairaland really does give you relevance
Pele

If my relevance is to deny a bigot like Afam the only place he can feel relevant in his life, i would gladly oblige

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by babymama3: 8:27pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Are you not blown away that a virgin gave birth, Man was created from clay and the Messiah flew into the sky

If one can fly into the sky why cant another drop from the same sky?

No wonder every kid born there is possessed with powerful demons before they cut a tooth
Juju too much that una side
Tufia
Even twins have juju implications
Everything is juju

Imagine a people that exported juju to north and south America? grin shocked shocked shocked

What did Ajayi crowther give his life for
Eh
Una go open church,carry the same juju sumtin put inside
[size=18pt]No separation of church and juju whatsoever [/size]

Even your names sef
Osun this,Ogun that Fa this and that
Names of demons being answered by humans
Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Afam4eva(m): 8:27pm On Dec 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Can you kindly show me a thread I opened like this? Else na Amadioha go strike you dead.

You jobless troll
You have opened thread to denigrate Igbos and some Igbos have also opened threads to denigrate Yorubas. Stop asking like you're innocent when you're not.

I repriminand my kinsmen when i see them misbehaving just like i have done on this thread.

I can't remember ever fighting to become a mod on this thread. Even if i wanna, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Incase you don't know, Afam bu Afam.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia by Afam4eva(m): 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2012
baby_mama:

If you thought Greek mythology with half man half horse was strange try reading up on Yoruba mythology,the stories will blow you away
But, that's still not enough to denigrate one's religion and belief system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hausafulani Ladies Are The Most Finest In Africa(photos) / Emir Sanusi Dethrones Sani Umar-Ganduje As Village Head / Origin Of The Name Aboki?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.