Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,530 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Origin Of The Name Aboki? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Name Aboki? (13449 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 28, 2011
We are all familiar with the name Aboki,when refering to an Hausa man.Most especially the ones repairing shoes, But who knows the genesis of the name should share with us,
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by mashnino(m): 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2011
ABOKI-- is a hausa word which means friend, so when a hausa guy calls you aboki he means my friend, so overtime random pple started callin dem aboki in whci they thing its a kind of supplementary name for the hausas,

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by dipo1: 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2011
I use to think aboki is an acceptable gesture to all hausas till I met one hausa man who i was going to buy a pen from. When I called him aboki, he instantly rebuffed me saying it was disrespectful.
He probably is of †нє opinion that aboki has become household for a never-do-well hausa man
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by TenKobo1: 1:07pm On Aug 28, 2011
It began in the days when Yoruba growers of Kola-nuts (GWORO) were searching for the most fertile market in the universe for their produce. They were looking overseas but discovered to their surprise that the man mending shoes by the roadside was to Kola-nut what America is to Oil, They quickly branded him Aboki meaning my friend. That was what my grandma' told me and she never lied grin grin grin grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by mashnino(m): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2011
Ten Kobo:

It began in the days when Yoruba growers of Kola-nuts (GWORO) were searching for the most fertile market in the universe for their produce. They were looking overseas but discovered to their surprise that the man mending shoes by the roadside was to Kola-nut what America is to Oil, They quickly branded him Aboki meaning my friend. That was what my grandma' told me and she never lied grin grin grin grin

huh? that's nice it also relate to the whole stuff, and kola-nut in hausa is called GORO, i think it makes sense
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Audu123(m): 1:14pm On Aug 28, 2011
It means friend in hausa, and is also used as a way to address a person like how the word "guy" will be used in this sentence: "guy, how far?" However, it now has a second meaning, usually derogatory when used by a non hausa  person towards a hausa person.

You can say it is now used in a similar way to the word "anyamiri" which is a derogatory word used by hausa to refer to igbo
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by mashnino(m): 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2011
Audu123:

It means friend in hausa, and is also used as a way to address a person like how the word "guy" will be used in this sentence: "guy, how far?" However, it now has a second meaning, usually derogatory when used by a non hausa  person towards a hausa person.

You can say it is now used in a similar way to the word "anyamiri" which is a derogatory word used by hausa to refer to igbo

or like BAYARABE when reffering to yorubas
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by juman(m): 1:23pm On Aug 28, 2011
Audu123:

Some Abokis in turn called Yoruba "boda".
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by goggs(m): 1:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
Hausa to Ibo = Nyamiri (give me water)
Hausa to Yoruba = Balerebe

Yoruba to hausa = Aboki (friend) of gorro (colanut)
Yoruba to Igbo =

Igbo to hausa = Onye hawusa (hausa man(?))
igbo to yoruba =

Fill in the blanks.

These names, once not invented by those refered to, can easily be used derogatorily.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 28, 2011
Igbo to hausa= aboki
Igbo to yoruba= onye ofenmanu
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 28, 2011
Aboki =Boko haram. Simple.understand?lol:p[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 28, 2011
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by toboy: 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2011
kcswat:

Igbo to hausa= aboki
Igbo to yoruba= onye ofenmanu

i laughed
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Ralphjoe(m): 2:26pm On Aug 28, 2011
Aboki simply means friend in hausa, hw it now become an abusive word i don't get it, coz in d north were i am, we can call d hausa aboki na without dem getting annoyed.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by SisiKill1: 2:41pm On Aug 28, 2011
Other Nigerians to Hausa - Aboki (meaning Friend)

Hausa to other Nigerians - Dan Iska (Meaning Very Good Friend)

Doncha just feel the love?
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 28, 2011
esan to hausa is AZA-LAMA, esan to ibo is usobo. Lol
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 2:58pm On Aug 28, 2011
Aboki means Kolanut chewing goat. undecided . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Sisi_Kill:

Other Nigerians to Hausa - Aboki (meaning Friend)

Hausa to other Nigerians -[size=18pt] Dan Iska (Meaning Very Good Friend) [/size]
Doncha just feel the love?
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by SisiKill1: 3:13pm On Aug 28, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Yaya de, dan iska na?  kiss kiss

Me ya faru de baki nka?  grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Obieman: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2011
TRADEMARK:

.U dn kil me wit lafta 4here oooooo.Generally most Hausa guyz don't get offended wen u call dem Aboki bt if u meet d1 wey dey vex afta d@ day u no go eva eva use dword again.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by kizito96(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2011
Aboki means those with low mentality. How could a group of people come together and say they do not want Education, yet they call press conferences and speak to BBC in English
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 28, 2011
I was thinking the name must ve got a link with Boko haram cos they share common letters Bok(i)(o), They must have got something in common! Lol
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
yoruba to igbo = omo ajokuta mamumi (He that eats stone without drinking water) grin grin grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by KDULAR: 4:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
Yoruba to Igbo = Ajokuta ma mumi (literaily meaning can eat stone without water ) . reffering apu as stone.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Gbenge77(m): 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2011
Sometimes,Aboki may be used to refer to a dull person.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by looknlaff(m): 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2011
Yoruba to Igbo=== Okoro!! (back in the days, this use to offend the igbo peeps)
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by leyinjuege(f): 5:36pm On Aug 28, 2011
Wat do onye ofenmanu & balerebe mean
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by wendytilda(f): 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2011
Igbo to Yoruba= Onye (Ndi) ofe nmanu  literary meaning =a person (people) whose soup is (are) too oily (because they add too much red oil in their soup)
And yes Igbo to Hausa definitely Aboki and never experienced or heard of them getting pissed about it. Igbos also call the Hausas Mallam.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 28, 2011
cheesy ;DOfenmanu means oily soup. Meanin yoruba women no sabi cook na oyelu d full der food
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by wendytilda(f): 6:42pm On Aug 28, 2011
@looknlaff  Yoruba to Igbo=== Okoro!! (back in the days, this use to offend the igbo peeps)
-------

Would like to know why this offended Igbo people cause that’s just a person’s name? (a hard working person at that)
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 28, 2011
The term by "bayerabe" in Hausa simply means a 'Yoruba man' "Bayeraba" means 'yoruba woman' It is not derogatory at all.

The hausa starts the name of different tribes with the prefix "BA" e.g.

Bahaushe    - hausa man
Bature        - European man  note that 'Turai' means Europe
Balarabe     - Arab man
Bayerabe    - Yorubaman
Babarbare   -  Borno man (kanuri)
  etc
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by wendytilda(f): 6:56pm On Aug 28, 2011
Let me guess, baibo = Igbo man? lol!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? / Emir Sanusi Dethrones Sani Umar-Ganduje As Village Head / Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.