Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? (9086 Views)

Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians / Ghana Buys Innoson Cars For Presidential Campaign(photos) / Check Out This Weird Plate Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 9:51pm On Dec 28, 2012
Please i don't understand why somebody has to place a car for sale and decide to hide the plate number, am novice when it comes to car sales but i simply feel the car was stolen or the seller is a scam.

Please anybody that knows the reason should tell the house.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 28, 2012
I've often wondered the same.

It's possible the car has a lien attached to it (has finance outstanding) and the seller's trying to sell it on without paying the outstanding balance.

However, I may be wrong...
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 5:33pm On Dec 29, 2012
Siena: I've often wondered the same.

It's possible the car has a lien attached to it (has finance outstanding) and the seller's trying to sell it on without paying the outstanding balance.

I CANT AGREE LESS WITH YOU AUTO CHIEF
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by redcliff: 10:05pm On Dec 29, 2012
Do you mean in Nigeria or abroad? If its Nigeria, it could be one of several reasons; either the person feels the car is still clean and can pass as a tokunbo vehicle( Non-Nigerian used) or the person stole the car. In the offshore context of Nigeria, i really dont have an idea why the do that. but i feel its europeans that do that alot as against their american counterparts

1 Like

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by tampa1871: 10:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
In America, it's all about privacy and confidential issues since you can get the history of a car via carfax.

1 Like

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by infolpf: 4:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
I agree with Tampa1871. As one who has sold a couple of cars for clients, I can answer this from my perspective - my clients are usually relatively high net worth individuals who eschew any kind of publicity. They feel their car tags are easily recognizable, and dont want City people carrying a story. I can just see it now "Alhaji ___ is broke, selling off all assets, pictures included!!". As a matter of fact, a friend recently sold his Aston Martin, and didn't even want a picture posted. To preempt your question - no, they most definitely were not stolen.

This makes me wonder, why do we as Nigerians always think the worst of one another? 2 posters immediately jump to the conclusion that the cars most be stolen. Is this based on reality or just perception? Are Nigerians really that bad? If we feel this way about one another, why are we so resentful and downright hostile when outsiders voice similar opinions of us? Dont mean to derail the post, Just wondering.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 5:28pm On Dec 30, 2012
redcliff: Do you mean in Nigeria or abroad? If its Nigeria, it could be one of several reasons; either the person feels the car is still clean and can pass as a tokunbo vehicle( Non-Nigerian used) or the person stole the car. In the offshore context of Nigeria, i really dont have an idea why the do that. but i feel its europeans that do that alot as against their american counterparts
ABROAD KE? BROS I MEAN NAIRALAND undecided
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
tampa1871: In America, it's all about privacy and confidential issues since you can get the history of a car via carfax.
THEN HOW DO YOU RUN A CHECK IN AMERICA SINCE THE NUMBER IS HIDDEN?
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 5:34pm On Dec 30, 2012
info@lpf:
I agree with Tampa1871. As one who has sold a couple of cars for clients, I can answer this from my perspective - my clients are usually relatively high net worth individuals who eschew any kind of publicity. They feel their car tags are easily recognizable, and dont want City people carrying a story. I can just see it now "Alhaji ___ is broke, selling off all assets, pictures included!!". As a matter of fact, a friend recently sold his Aston Martin, and didn't even want a picture posted. To preempt your question - no, they most definitely were not stolen.

This makes me wonder, why do we as Nigerians always think the worst of one another? 2 posters immediately jump to the conclusion that the cars most be stolen. Is this based on reality or just perception? Are Nigerians really that bad? If we feel this way about one another, why are we so resentful and downright hostile when outsiders voice similar opinions of us? Dont mean to derail the post, Just wondering.
I APPRECIATE UR COMMENT, THEY MIGHT NOT BE RIGHT, BUT I CAN TELL YOU COMFORTABLY THAT A LOT OF NIGERIANS ARE DUBIOUS SO ONE HAS TO BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN TRANSACTING ANY BUSINESS.THANKS ALL THE WAYS, STILL WAITING FOR MORE IDEAS. wink

1 Like

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by Digriz(m): 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2012
Am also curious abt this issue and ur guess was as good as mine.
I always suspects those cars as stolen cars.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 6:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
Digriz: Am also curious abt this issue and ur guess was as good as mine.
I always suspects those cars as stolen cars.
SOMEBODY JUST GAVE A DIFFERENT IDEA WHICH I ALSO AGREE PARTIALLY WITH, LETS HOPE WE GET MORE ANSWERS
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by infolpf: 4:52am On Dec 31, 2012
DANILSA:
THEN HOW DO YOU RUN A CHECK IN AMERICA SINCE THE NUMBER IS HIDDEN?

We use Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) to run a check. Tags (License Plates) are useful for police checks etc.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 31, 2012
Siena: I've often wondered the same.

You are very right sir.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by omicron(m): 10:57am On Dec 31, 2012
I believe most are stolen cars or the dealers are dubious. Though other assertions here may be right, I think they are in the minority reasons. I can't buy a naija used car advertised online with the plate number defaced or covered.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2012
omicron: I believe most are stolen cars or the dealers are dubious. Though other assertions here may be right, I think they are in the minority reasons. I can't buy a naija used car advertised online with the plate number defaced or covered.
JUST MY TAUGHT angry
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by DANILSA(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2012
info@lpf:

We use Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) to run a check. Tags (License Plates) are useful for police checks etc.
THANK YOU SIR.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by Uchenna42(m): 12:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
tampa1871: In America, it's all about privacy and confidential issues since you can get the history of a car via carfax.

On point.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by ghettodreamz(m): 12:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
Obviously for security reasons.... Shikena!
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by metti(m): 1:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
Q
DANILSA: Please i don't understand why somebody has to place a car for sale and decide to hide the plate number, am novice when it comes to car sales but i simply feel the car was stolen or the seller is a scam.

Please anybody that knows the reason should tell the house.

An imported car that is registered and put up for sale in Nigeria with the plate number on it is priced low. The belive is that since the car is registered it has probably being used by the owner or seller. However, this is not always the case. Taken the car to the point of sale especially outside the state it was bought is a problem, the customs agent will always disturb asking to be paid so money. If the car is registered, the belive to the customs is that it is ment for personal use. So they might either ignore you or ask for a small tip. In that way the seller could sell with good profit margin.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by logica(m): 1:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
But if they were stolen, why didn't they just remove the tags before taking the pics?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by ziccoit: 1:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
It is a question of culture in Nigeria where people think selling properties such as land, house, cars etc is sign of getting poor and they don't want people to see this.

Just like " thing is really getting bad for the guy, he is now selling his car" mentality. Especially when he is selling off to solve a financial problem and not to buy a better ride.

So, seller wants to hide the number lest somebody recognizes it.

5 Likes

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by AndroBlaze: 1:22pm On Dec 31, 2012
logica: But if they were stolen, why didn't they just remove the tags before taking the pics?

Yes, I went through all the bother of stealing/buying a stolen car but I was to lazy/cheap to change the license plate/acquire a real one in a country where the only question they would ask is "how much for the boys sir". Only Nigerians could come up with this sort of logic!!

Thank you my brother.

1 Like

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by ayodeji1(m): 1:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
info@lpf:

u have said it all.everyone has a right to his/her own privacy.its online thing we are talking about here.the moment u post it,u cant control how fast it spreads.its now left for the prospective buyer to call,or probably visit the owner to get further information to aid u in ur research(thats if u are in doubt).most times,people want to sell their cars for reasons best known to them,but they wouldnt even want their family,or neighbor to know cos they might tag it as something else.whereas u are selling probably to add more money to buy a better car. so its an individual thing.but u cant also rule out the possibility of some hiding it because its a stolen car.and thats why u as a buyer have to ensure u do a proper research on any car you are buying before paying a dime.

2 Likes

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by calculusx(m): 2:17pm On Dec 31, 2012
info@lpf:

On point. I once advertised a registered Infinity FX 45 and the owner wasn't happy about the picture been displayed online. A stolen Car will never be advertised online knowing fully well it was stolen and anyone can recognize the car from a distance. My two cent

2 Likes

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by AdoOloro(m): 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2012
@OP, What is 'plate number' of a car?

Hope you don't mean number plate?
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by plendil: 3:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
info@lpf:

Strong points.

But I fail to understand how obliterating the number plate alone can provide the anonymity the owner seeks, unless of course it a personalized one.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by plendil: 3:33pm On Dec 31, 2012
I must confess though, that once I see a registered car for sale with the number removed or hidden, or no info about the previous owner, my alarm bells start ringing.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by deor03(m): 4:58pm On Dec 31, 2012
AdoOloro: @OP, What is 'plate number' of a car?

Hope you don't mean number plate?

What's the difference?
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by Demrich(m): 7:42pm On Dec 31, 2012
ghettodreamz: Obviously for security reasons.... Shikena!
pple shud try to be transparent no security is enuf wen selling
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
ayodeji1:

u have said it all.everyone has a right to his/her own privacy.its online thing we are talking about here.the moment u post it,u cant control how fast it spreads.its now left for the prospective buyer to call,or probably visit the owner to get further information to aid u in ur research(thats if u are in doubt).most times,people want to sell their cars for reasons best known to them,but they wouldnt even want their family,or neighbor to know cos they might tag it as something else.whereas u are selling probably to add more money to buy a better car. so its an individual thing.but u cant also rule out the possibility of some hiding it because its a stolen car.and thats why u as a buyer have to ensure u do a proper research on any car you are buying before paying a dime.

still it doesnt make sense either way friends or neighbour will see that you have changed the car or the car is gone

remember you are selling with number plate unless the plate is private, still the plate is public and is it carried by the car where ever you go
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by alstacs(m): 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2012
Part of the reason is because some people have a lot to hide. A friend was to buy a car in Abuja recently and he was told the car had been used for just a few months in Nigeria. Toyota sienna 2004 with odometer reading of 78000 miles.
I asked for the registration particulars and the dealers started fighting. I told them the new buyer wants to buy with the registration since it was registered just a few months before then, but they refised to give us.
We later discovered that the car had been used for over 5 years in Nigeria and the odometer reading wasn't real.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by deltadegre: 2:04am On Jan 01, 2013
I have sold two of my Cars in the past through the-same means. I hide the Plate Number for Security Reasons and nothing ease. Simple as ABC.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SEAT Wants Drivers To Follow These Tips To Their Make Car A.C Work Effectively / Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. / Of What Purpose Was Your First Car: Luxury, Business Or Necessity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.