Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,085 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? (12144 Views)

If You An Investor In Fixed Deposit, Bond Or Shares, You Would Love This!!! / Is There Any Long Term Investment Or Shares I Can Buy 4 50k / Buying Land Or Shares Which One Is More Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by toykathy(f): 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2013
no long thing, na real estate
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ma Angwa: Pls how do I claim my dividends. I have shares in Zenith bank and Oando since 2005, was receiving my dividends till 2008 and from then till this moment I have not receive any dividends or correspondents. How do I claim my dividend, I have relocated and have written to them to that effect last year but till date no response. I need advice on what to do to get my dividend from 2008.

Go to the registrar of Zenith bank and inquire about your dividends.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by spyder880(m): 9:51pm On Mar 01, 2013
We got so crazed with stocks that I sold two houses and invested the cash into stocks in 2005, the market meltdown of 2008 melted my finances and I was only able to build one house after selling at a huge loss in 2008. But the rents since then has been regular, slow but steady. For those stocks that I couldn't sell after losing more than 80% of its value, well they are still there and I don't even go to pick my checks from the post office, afraid don catch me grin
I am currently looking for more houses
To build.

4 Likes

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Fhemmmy: 9:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
spyder880: We got so crazed with stocks that I sold two houses and invested the cash into stocks in 2005, the market meltdown of 2008 melted my finances and I was only able to build one house after selling at a huge loss in 2008. But the rents since then has been regular, slow but steady. For those stocks that I couldn't sell after losing more than 80% of its value, well they are still there and I don't even go to pick my checks from the post office, afraid don catch me grin
I am currently looking for more houses
To build.

Nicely said, but if one has some spared money, nothing wrong in some investment into stocks, but going crazy over/about it? i will be careful with that
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by taiwobabalola: 9:56pm On Mar 01, 2013
From my own personal experience,in 2007 i bought both land(200k) and shares(fbn,ibtc,oceanic)etc end in collosal lost but the land is 1.5m as at ds nite.make sure the land is geunea and free from any form of litigation.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Fhemmmy: 9:59pm On Mar 01, 2013
taiwo babalola: From my own personal experience,in 2007 i bought both land(200k) and shares(fbn,ibtc,oceanic)etc end in collosal lost but the land is 1.5m as at ds nite.make sure the land is geunea and free from any form of litigation.

Nice one but the reverse is the case too in some cases, cos sometimes, stocks could rise while the home depreciate, but cos of the Nigerian system, depreciation of homes is not too common . . . .But no matter how bad the market is today on shares/stocks, always have a way to correct itself, but please note that i am talking about real shares oh, not just any kinda shares . . . . talk to those that knows more about it and sure of what they doing and what their bet is on
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by akintun: 10:27pm On Mar 01, 2013
D best is to build rental apartments. D returns are far better than interest on deposit and investment funds. D dividend yield on d stock xchange is pretty small, and u are not even sure of selling ur stocks when u want to because of d lack of liquidity on d Nig stock xchange.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Fhemmmy: 10:29pm On Mar 01, 2013
akintun: D best is to build rental apartments. D returns are far better than interest on deposit and investment funds. D dividend yield on d stock xchange is pretty small, and u are not even sure of selling ur stocks when u want to because of d lack of liquidity on d Nig stock xchange.

Wonderful comment . . . .
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by 2jideofor(m): 10:42pm On Mar 01, 2013
For me it is realestate all the way... nothing will stop me, ever

2sexy
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by ogunsam75(m): 10:50pm On Mar 01, 2013
It depend on the kind of business model u want to adopt, cos real estate is a broad investment, is more than buying and selling landed property, and each model has its risk and challenges. As an expect in real estate and an ex banker, I have wide knowledge abt the two investments, all depend on ur capital, but I will prefer real estate
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by bunchyproject(m): 11:08pm On Mar 01, 2013
Real estate
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by a1solution: 11:45pm On Mar 01, 2013
aasog1: [b]NO to SHARES in Nigerian and the UK! I have tried both, a complete waste of money and time.
I was working in Ijeshatedo, Ajah, Lagos in 1999, starting up a construction company with my old man, and our first project was an estate in Ijeshatedo owned by the famous Fuji Musician Manager Percy Olumokun. I felt Percy was insane to have ever bought a land there....and I also felt he was duped. I used to see all different types of snakes then, and it was always two or three huge snakes per day, and the bus stops was always empty. No buses or passengers....Ajah back then was like a stupid idea, and that is today I believe in Eko Atlantic...As long as one buyer goes there, many more will follow....I remember as clear as ever then the Omo-onile telling us then that their land is getting costlier everyday, and that a plot within Ijesha-tedo is selling for 30k, and the one at the road side is selling for 35k. My old man bought two acres back then, fenced it over the year, and since I was the project manager, I can confirm with evidence that the entire cost of land and fencing was totally 848,950.00 Naira. He sold an acre out of it last year for 40 Million Naira. He still has 1 more acre. Compare that with anyshare and I will go and buy right away!
I have seen many people make a life changing property investment, and with the way Lagos and Ogun states are headed, it will be an upward spiral till the foreseeable future.
The few properties I purchased some years back during the time of Gbenga Daniel within Ogun State thought felt like big mistakes back then, but right now with the sky-rocketing prices of lands and scarcity on daily basis, I regret not buying as much as 10 acres back then.
You just need to know the experts, and buy properties with vertical integration features, and your on your way (i.e. properties infront of an express, or one infront of a road that links with an express...such properties have many uses: can be used for shops, warehouses, and can be sold with ease....and many more benefits).....
With great professionals, you can make an investment in real estate that could change your life forever....but this is a long-term business....and not a get quick-rich venture like the ones Nigerians are obsessed about. So if you want MAGIC, real estate isnt the way.
[/b]
Nice real estate tip
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by 76Naira(m): 11:48pm On Mar 01, 2013
aasog1: [b]NO to SHARES in Nigerian and the UK! I have tried both, a complete waste of money and time.
I was working in Ijeshatedo, Ajah, Lagos in 1999, starting up a construction company with my old man, and our first project was an estate in Ijeshatedo owned by the famous Fuji Musician Manager Percy Olumokun. I felt Percy was insane to have ever bought a land there....and I also felt he was duped. I used to see all different types of snakes then, and it was always two or three huge snakes per day, and the bus stops was always empty. No buses or passengers....Ajah back then was like a stupid idea, and that is today I believe in Eko Atlantic...As long as one buyer goes there, many more will follow....I remember as clear as ever then the Omo-onile telling us then that their land is getting costlier everyday, and that a plot within Ijesha-tedo is selling for 30k, and the one at the road side is selling for 35k. My old man bought two acres back then, fenced it over the year, and since I was the project manager, I can confirm with evidence that the entire cost of land and fencing was totally 848,950.00 Naira. He sold an acre out of it last year for 40 Million Naira. He still has 1 more acre. Compare that with anyshare and I will go and buy right away!
I have seen many people make a life changing property investment, and with the way Lagos and Ogun states are headed, it will be an upward spiral till the foreseeable future.
The few properties I purchased some years back during the time of Gbenga Daniel within Ogun State thought felt like big mistakes back then, but right now with the sky-rocketing prices of lands and scarcity on daily basis, I regret not buying as much as 10 acres back then.
You just need to know the experts, and buy properties with vertical integration features, and your on your way (i.e. properties infront of an express, or one infront of a road that links with an express...such properties have many uses: can be used for shops, warehouses, and can be sold with ease....and many more benefits).....
With great professionals, you can make an investment in real estate that could change your life forever....but this is a long-term business....and not a get quick-rich venture like the ones Nigerians are obsessed about. So if you want MAGIC, real estate isnt the way.
[/b]

I completely agree!
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Seun(m): 12:13am On Mar 02, 2013
@76naira and @a1solution: if you have nothing to add, you should just click the 'like' button. wink
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by zenatta: 2:01am On Mar 02, 2013
Noticed Topic is five years old, then again, its a Real Estate thread.

I'd choose Real Estate over Stocks. In 07, My bank Manager convinced me to buy shares. I did unwillingly. One day I found myself in an office, shedding uncontrollable tears, cos, I had come to sell my shares at a loss. Ok maybe I wasn't shares-savvy but I lost a great deal.

I've always been a participant of Real Estate matters, at a time, passively and later actively. It may be a long-term investment but it sure beats the vicissitudes of Stock Market, its crashes, its restlessness and instabilities.
In Real Estate, I used to offer retail services, that is, renting to individuals but now I am looking into mass-renting. MacDonalds or so, once said they were not only involved in the business of providing food and snacks but also in Real Estate.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by zenatta: 2:30am On Mar 02, 2013
aasog1:
a plot within is selling for 30k, and the one at the road side is selling for 35k.
With great professionals, you can make an investment in real estate that could change your life forever

The strategic placement of a property is what determines its yield. Corner-pieces are excellent income-raking ventures. Apart from residential purposes, when used as commercial interests, they team up well with schools, markets and bustops as neighbours.

Lagos with its dense population is a Real-Estate gold-mine.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by redcliff: 2:32am On Mar 02, 2013
[size=14pt]REAL ESTATE= OIL MONEY. [/size]
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by zenatta: 2:38am On Mar 02, 2013
Okay, after this I will go to sleep.

Consider pooling resources together with trust-worthy, like- minded people, to buy a property if worry for high cost of land is the plague.
Being the Smart person that I am *winks*, I got some friends together to buy a property I'd never have been able to afford in a locality I'd only have dreamt of. I made the least contribution so had to wait years before earning returns on my investment but it was worth it.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Tedpgrass: 3:21am On Mar 02, 2013
Real estate appears to be the deal.

However, the prices in certain areas, appear unsustainable on the long-term... IMHO, that is.

Lagos prices equivalent to central west London, New York..... on the long-term, simply unsustainable, I think, no matter the 'packaging' or window-dressing.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by lion042(m): 6:14am On Mar 02, 2013
How much do u have for the business?
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:14am On Mar 02, 2013
zenatta:

The strategic placement of a property is what determines its yield. Corner-pieces are excellent income-raking ventures. Apart from residential purposes, when used as commercial interests, they team up well with schools, markets and bustops as neighbours.

Lagos with its dense population is a Real-Estate gold-mine.

I agree with you sir, but not every corner piece works. Real Estate is an extremely strategic business: you need to consider alot of things....declivity, whether the land is flood prone, yearly demographic and project incremental data, proposed government projects and their positive and negative outcomes, etc; like every business out there you need to know Real Estate's entire bolts and nuts if you want to invest in it. But the most crucial is location, location, location. If you are rich, head to Lekki or Badagry. If you arent so rich, Ogun State is there, even Ogun in years will become another elitist location. In one of our last year meeting at REDAN (Real Estate Developers Association of Nigeria), we all agree that locations such as Badagry, Ifo, Owode, Ikorodu, Ewekoro, Ofada, and Atan would be totally inaccessible to middle income earners within 2020. In our last month meeting, we realized we were totally WRONG. In 2015, those areas would be bye bye to middle and low income earners. Its just a matter of 5 more years before and Lagos and Ogun State become soooo alike, it would be another case of New York and New Jersey.

3 Likes

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by nke001: 8:41am On Mar 02, 2013
REAL ESTATE noni!
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by newacca: 9:09am On Mar 02, 2013
REAL ESTATE all the way
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by coolkaboom(m): 9:41am On Mar 02, 2013
The tricky thing abt stocks is that for it to be truly profitable, one must actively keep at it and re-evaluate those decisions periodically. In d days of old, our folks used to buy shares, keep the certs in files in dusty old cupboards and since d markets weren't so volatile, it probably worked for them. In todayks market, that's a recipe for disaster. Investment decisions must be without sentiments and focused mainly on the profitability (at least from a small-time individuals perspective). A healthy portfolio mix is the best solution to maximise the pros and minimise te cons. When u take a few hits and lose money in stocks, plug d hole and divert attn to those that are fairly more consistent in their yield. real estate investment is also safe, depending on the motives. This also needs to be properly evaluated in light of the motive for investment. My background is estate mgt and I have seen way too many people stuck wt useless contraptions wt no exit strategies because of archaic social-cultural biases. If its not making money, it aint making sense, period.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Jaykizz(m): 9:51am On Mar 02, 2013
You dont need to know which is better because they are two different biz ventures entirely. I believe your question is: which earns more profit with lesser risk?
Presently, Real Estate biz wins that duel coz of the stock market is still down. But, haven't you heard the saying that says: ''the best time to buy your stocks is when the market is down. One thing is for sure; when it's down, it only comes up." This is bcoz the stock market is a circle; always in a ziggy-zag format. Now the market is down; next, it comes up.
But if you'd ask me, I believe the best is to invest in both. Don't forget the saying: "Don't put your eggs in one basket."
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by jaybabs1(m): 11:27am On Mar 02, 2013
My landlord, told me most of the lands he is selling for 2.5M now, he bought them for 150k some 8-9 yrs ago. He raises goats and sheeps, at the end of each yr, sells them and then divert the profit into buying some lands., now he does all these plus builds like three bed-room apartment with like 3M and sells it for 4.5M to 6M, this man is a real big man, it ttook me time before i could understand his wealth secret. Honestly if u need a long term money spinning biz. Go into Real estates.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Reyus: 1:50pm On Mar 02, 2013
Both are good depending on when/how much you buy/sell.

Real estate is profitable on the long run ONLY IF and WHEN you sell, use or lease the landed property to make profit.

Stock is also profitable but depends on a lot of favourable conditions.
E.g if you bought 500,000 shares of UBA sometime in Jan 2013 @ N4.60 = about N2.3million. You can easily sell now March 2013, @ N8.00 for N4million. About N1.7million profit in just 2 months.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 02, 2013
klas:

Very wrong information and advise on all counts.

First, union homes is not the only listed mortgage bank. There are many. Aso savings is there, Abbey buildings society is there. Etc

Second, not only that most of the listed mortgage firms are unprofitable, they are having dwindling capital base hence the directive of CBN that all mortgage banks should recapitalized to between N2.5b and N5billion latest by April 2013

Most if not all listed mortgage banks are trading at par of 50 kobo each so no capital appreciation.

What you should have advised him on is may be to invest in listed Real Estate Investment Trust Scheme (REITS). You may read up more on that.

Check out the date when this comment was posted.....2008!!!
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by slyk2(m): 4:30pm On Mar 02, 2013
The replies aint bad.
I would suggest you spend a little time to dig up the basics of the two options.
Both has risks components.
Then, the funds available counts.
If you understand the basics you can make profitable decisions.
The stock market crashed, so also does mortgage.
Invest first in your knowledge. No one can take care of your investment more than you.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by dotcomnamename: 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2013
Reyus: Both are good depending on when/how much you buy/sell.

Real estate is profitable on the long run ONLY IF and WHEN you sell, use or lease the landed property to make profit.

Stock is also profitable but depends on a lot of favourable conditions.
E.g if you bought 500,000 shares of UBA sometime in Jan 2013 @ N4.60 = about N2.3million. You can easily sell now March 2013, @ N8.00 for N4million. About N1.7million profit in just 2 months.

How could u compare Properties with stock in terms of investment. Bamboo yato si chimpanzee...

Its like u're comparing Nigeria with United States in term of developed country...

Real Estate is by far better and profitable than Stock fish... grin

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by chidiumeaku: 10:16pm On Mar 02, 2013
Crownvilla: Why not eat your cake and have it? I beleive mortgages are the next big money earner in Nigeria. How many Nigerians do you think, would jump at the chance of owning their own homes via a mortgage?

This market is an untapped goldmine!!!!!!!

Back to your question, why not invest in real estate via the Stock Exchange. Right now there is only one listed mortgage firm on the NSE, namely, Union Homes. Effectively, if you buy shares in Union Homes you are killing two birds with a stone, investing in real
estate and shares in one fell swoop. grin grin grin

LBIC recently did a PP, I suspect their shares will head for the moon whenever they are listed. A few other mortgage firms are rumoured to be close to a PP or full listing on the NSE.
Please bro let me knw wen d PP of those Mortgage coys comes up, would b interested

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Billion Coin(TBC); Scam Or Real? / Firms Giving 10% Return On Investments. / Ice Network KYC 3 Quiz Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.