Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,814 members, 7,851,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:44 AM

Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead (1722 Views)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / Where Is Appropriate Place To Wed A Bride.in Her Church Or Grooms Church? / Dressing Kids In Short Clothings: How Appropriate? (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by DarryOsh(m): 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sometime ago a man died in my area and was buried in his hous. Later on, his children began to fight over the property and finally they sold it to a church. The church was said to have bulldozed d grave and then placed a giant generetor on dat particular spot. Now everyone began to curse the chilren sayin dat the noise of generator wil forever disturb the peace of their late father.
I av reservations about burying d dead in the house where he lived, it would mak their family grieve more cos the grave is just at the backyard. And what happens if the property is eventually sold off. A lot of nigerians think its wrong for children to sell off inherited property but i dont tink its a big deal especially if like ten children inherit a single plot of land.Some nigerians cary their dead to their village to bury there but what of those who seem to have lost their ties to their villages (afterall u cant just go and bury a corpse in someone's land). The final option is d cemetary which to me is the most appropriate but i am aware nigerians tend to frown @ dat idea.
I just want to hear people's thought about it. What happens when u bury d dead @ d backyard and the property is sold(trust me, it wil eventually b sold)
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 29, 2012
If the dead person lives abroad, bring him back and bury in Nigeria.

If in Nigeria city, bury the dead in his village. There should be a reserved place for the public.

If not, bury the person in the family compound, not a place you give out to people Or church.
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by k2039: 11:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]It's pointless burying someone at home when the house is likely to be sold by the coming generations.

Cemetery is the home of the dead.
[/color]
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by Tgirl4real(f): 12:12am On Dec 30, 2012
Where else if not at the burial ground? undecided

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by greatgod2012(f): 2:28am On Dec 30, 2012
I support those who say cemetaries........cemetary remains d best place to bury d dead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by slimyem: 3:13am On Dec 30, 2012
Now everyone began to curse the
chilren sayin dat the noise of generator
wil forever disturb the peace of their father
lmao@this..cheesy
generator disturbing the dead indeed.

Once a person is dead,the body is useless!Its purpose has been served!
Whether it is cremated,buried at home or in the cemetary or thrown into an evil forest is of no importance.
I'll never understand the fuss over dead bodies,those who spend millions transporting dead bodies accross countries,and even on headstones.
What matters or should matter most is the memories we have of the dead not where the body ends at.
So much ado about nothing!
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 30, 2012
Cemetery.
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by Nobody: 7:30am On Dec 30, 2012
I wouldn't advise even an enemy to go through the pains of exhuming a loved one. When we wanted to sell one of our houses, we had to exhume my late grandmother and it was a terrible sight gathering those bones.

Please let the dead be buried at the CEMETARY.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by CrazyMan(m): 8:58am On Dec 30, 2012
What you should ask is how many villages actually have cemeteries?

Cemeteries are for those how live in the town...a typical village man would definitely be buried in his house when he dies.

Its a normal thing...you can't take my corps to a cemetery when I laboured and built a house where I can comfortable sleep and be buried when I die.

I still prefer house burial any day anytime...take my grandfather for instance...though he died when I was still a kid, but because he was buried in his compound, I was able to learn a little about him when I grew up.

Like what he did for a living, his biography..etc. They were all carved in the room in which he was buried.

I think those dear to us should be treated with that respect when they die...

About the land being sold to furture generations like some of you have pointed out here, that can be avoided if family members take necessary steps to ensure that a particular plot(s) in that land is reserved for burial purposes.

Just my opinion though.
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by djeezy(m): 11:08am On Dec 30, 2012
CUSTOMARY LAW: The apt place to bury the dead is usually determined by customary law of the land wherein the deceased was subjected to. Where the personal law of the deceased cannot be easily ascertained, the lex situs will apply.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by mumumugu(m): 11:14am On Dec 30, 2012
In the farm, so it can b used as manure / fertilizer
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by CrazyMan(m): 12:20pm On Dec 30, 2012
mumumugu: In the farm, so it can b used as manure / fertilizer
By their user names, you shall know them.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by djeezy(m): 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2012
greatgod2012: I support those who say cemetaries........cemetary remains d best place to bury d dead.
Customary law determines where a person should be buried/modus operandi of sharing his property exp if he died intestate. We are not in US.
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by RoyalRoy(m): 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
CrazyMan:
By their user names, you shall know them.

Hahaha...check out your username too man!! Don't throw stones in the market place!!! Now I know you!!!
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by djeezy(m): 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
Royal Roy:

Hahaha...check out your username too man!! Don't throw stones in the market place!!!
lmao! You mean like Kettle calling pot black? Hehehe.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by RoyalRoy(m): 2:45pm On Dec 30, 2012
djeezy: lmao! You mean like Kettle calling pot black? Hehehe.

Exactly my point!!!!!!! Lmao.
Re: Where Is The Appropriate Place To Bury The Dead by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2012
If a particular plot in the village is deemed a burial plot then isn't that a cemetery?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

20 Signs You’re Succeeding In Life Even If You Don’t Feel You Are / 71 Yrs Old Woman Kills Husband And Cooks Him / Can U Guess Wht This Mother Is Tellin Her Daughter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.