Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (261) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (479529 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2019
MathsEconomics:

There are actually two choices for t. t=±7
Here's a recurrence relation to use to confirm this.
Yes! How could I forget that!

Solution set is (-2,3,-1).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2019
Nice little problem.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 19, 2019
Darivie04:
Nice little problem.
I suppose the x's are digit in the "base a" representation of the A's, right?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 19, 2019
MathsEconomics:

I suppose the x's are digit in the "base a" representation of the A's, right?
Yes. Its just the digit representation not a product
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Silentscreamer(f): 12:36pm On Aug 19, 2019
Help me solve this.
fit the equation y=Co+C1sinpix+C2cospix to the data points (0.2,1)(0.4,2)(0.6,3)(0.8,5)(1,5)(1.2,3) using method of least squares. Co, C1 and C2 are constants.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2019
Darivie04:
Nice little problem.
Here's my solution. The first part of the proof is by induction.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 20, 2019
Silentscreamer:
Help me solve this.
fit the equation y=Co+C1sinpix+C2cospix to the data points (0.2,1)(0.4,2)(0.6,3)(0.8,5)(1,5)(1.2,3) using method of least squares. Co, C1 and C2 are constants.

This is what you asked. Right?

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Silentscreamer(f): 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Yes. Include the point (0.6,3).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 3:21pm On Aug 20, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Can you list the mathematics textbooks you've read and, if possible, the one's you are currently reading.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 20, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Here's my solution. The first part of the proof is by induction.
Nice solution but in your third page can you explain what you did to turn your first inequality into the second?

By "the second" here I'm referring to the one containing (-xna^n) and (-xnb^n)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 20, 2019
Darivie04:

Nice solution but in your third page can you explain what you did to turn your first inequality into the second?

By "the second" here I'm referring to the one containing (-xna^n) and (-xnb^n)

If you employ the same elementary transform on the RHS you'll find that the "1" cancels out on both sides and you'll the inequality I derived from that.
I skipped this step for the sake of brevity.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 20, 2019
Martinez39:
Can you list the mathematics textbooks you've read and, if possible, the one's you are currently reading.

Hit my email or if possible scroll through my previous posts you'll find my Mobile number in one of my posts. I feel it's not going to be wise listing the Mathematics textbooks I've read in this forum.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 20, 2019
Silentscreamer:
Yes. Include the point (0.6,3).

Alright.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 8:07pm On Aug 20, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Hit my email or if possible scroll through my previous posts you'll find my Mobile number in one of my posts. I feel it's not going to be wise listing the Mathematics textbooks I've read in this forum.
OK. I will contact you through WhatsApp shortly. wink

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by gpercuxionz(m): 8:13pm On Aug 20, 2019
Solution to this please
2^x + 3^x = 13
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 8:22pm On Aug 20, 2019
gpercuxionz:
Solution to this please
2^x + 3^x = 13
undecided What stunt are you trying to pull?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 8:23pm On Aug 20, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Alright.
I just sent you a message on WhatsApp.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by gpercuxionz(m): 9:57pm On Aug 20, 2019
Martinez39:
undecided What stunt are you trying to pull?
saw that in an IGCSE maths textbook under indices topic
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 10:13pm On Aug 20, 2019
gpercuxionz:
saw that in an IGCSE maths textbook under indices topic
Lie lie. Such question can't be solved using basic algebraic technique. How could they have sent that question? Oya confess. grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by gpercuxionz(m): 10:35pm On Aug 20, 2019
I will snap and send it tomorrow
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2019
gpercuxionz:
I will snap and send it tomorrow
I will like to see the question.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 8:29am On Aug 21, 2019
gpercuxionz:
Solution to this please
2^x + 3^x = 13
Start from the 1st page of this thread and read through. Questions like this one ha e been thoroughly solved.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 21, 2019
Darivie04:
Nice little problem.
Here's my solution.

It could be shorter but oh well I've already typed it. There might be minor typos and you'll have to zoom in a bit to see some things clearly.

2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 21, 2019
Darivie04:

Here's my solution.

It could be shorter but oh well I've already typed it. There might be minor typos and you'll have to zoom in a bit to see some things clearly.

Your lemma is not true and it does not in any way relate to the preposition you're proving since n is required to be greater than unity.

Secondly. If you're proving an if and only if statement, you proof must be in two parts.
The first part is to show that the assertion is true when the given conditions are satisfied. The second part is to show that if the assertion is true. Then the given condition must be satisfied.

Moreover this problem is 1970 IMO. The solution given at the back of Topics In Algebra and Analysis is unsatisfactory.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 21, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Your lemma is not true and it does not in any way relate to the preposition you're proving since n is required to be greater than unity.

Secondly. If you're proving an if and only if statement, you proof must be in two parts.
The first part is to show that the assertion is true when the given conditions are satisfied. The second part is to show that if the assertion is true. Then the given condition must be satisfied.

Moreover this problem is 1970 IMO. The solution given at the back of Topics In Algebra and Analysis is unsatisfactory.
You can not be kidding me sad ...

The whole reason I've spent about 3 week on the first chapter of that book was because I've been trying to solve every exercise and understand everything. That was supposed to be my first tough problem or problem that I felt was tough that I actually solved. If its not then I really don't know.

Seems like I'm just wasting effort trying to be good at something I might as well never be
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by gpercuxionz(m): 2:16pm On Aug 21, 2019
Martinez39:
I will like to see the question.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2019
gpercuxionz:
shocked
MathsEconomics, Darivie04, can you guys solve that?

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 21, 2019
Darivie04:

You can not be kidding me sad ...

The whole reason I've spent about 3 week on the first chapter of that book was because I've been trying to solve every exercise and understand everything. That was supposed to be my first tough problem or problem that I felt was tough that I actually solved. If its not then I really don't know.

Seems like I'm just wasting effort trying to be good at something I might as well never be

I have that book with me at home and I've read it before a good number of times.
I'll not lie to you, it's not a good book and it's best you stop wasting your time on it.
The book has little theoretical background but contains a lot of extremely difficult problems as exercises.
I suggest you stop using problem solving books for now. Use books like Chrystal's Algebra or Plane Trigonometry by Loney or Hobson (Both are equally good but Hobson is too rigorous for beginners).

The proofs presented in those Olympiad problem solving books will not really teach you how to construct your own proofs because they hide their steps and just give you the short and final answer leaving you with no hint as to how to construct your own proofs.

Also. As for the proofs you gave. I'll tell you something really important.

Just because you derived a valid inequality from a given inequality does not necessarily mean that that original inequality is valid.
For example. -4 < -3, -2 < -5 so by multiplication
8 < 15. Notice that the inequality we derived is valid but this is not a valid proof because our assertion that -2 < - 5 is false.
So regardless of how you manipulate inequalities, arriving at a true statement does not make that inequality true. That's why I dissected my proof above with induction to make it look like I'm actually deriving the result. Inequalities can be tricky.

Also. The conditions you imposed on you lemma actually invalidated it since the conditions you used do not satisfy the conditions imposed by the problem.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 21, 2019
gpercuxionz:

For number 61. It is easy to see that x = 2 is a solution, it is also not difficult to see that this is the only solution since the function on the LHS is strictly increasing while the function on the RHS is a constant function.
It follows that these two curves can intersect in at most a single point in any coordinate system and thus our equation has only one solution which is x=2.

The remaining problems there are suitable for SS1 students. Not my cup of tea.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by gpercuxionz(m): 7:27am On Aug 22, 2019
Is there any workings to show that x = 2.
MathsEconomics:

For number 61. It is easy to see that x = 2 is a solution, it is also not difficult to see that this is the only solution since the function on the LHS is strictly increasing while the function on the RHS is a constant function.
It follows that these two curves can intersect in at most a single point in any coordinate system and thus our equation has only one solution which is x=2.

The remaining problems there are suitable for SS1 students. Not my cup of tea.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39(m): 12:08pm On Aug 22, 2019
gpercuxionz:
I don't think so.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 22, 2019
gpercuxionz:

Number Theory and Algebraic Geometry can do it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (284) (Reply)

Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide. / Jamb Result Checker 2012/2013 – UTME Result Checker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.