Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Do Muslims Believe In New Year? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do Muslims Believe In New Year? (1440 Views)

Do Muslims Believe That They Get 72 Virgins In Heaven? / Why Muslims Believe In Jesus And Bible, but Jews And Rest Denied Muhammad? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by Omolola1(f): 7:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
I was arguing with a muslim fanatic this evening on the celebration of new year, he said they don't believe in it, something like they follow the islamic calendar

I saw some alfa's in mosques yesterday praying on my way back from the crossover service, when I told him this, he said those alphas weren't practising the religion well.

According to him, muslims do not celebrate new year!
Is this true?

I mean "new year" is a worldwide thing, everyone has cause to celebrate, could this be true?
Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jan 01, 2013
I saw the same though and I was astonished.
Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by Kaxmytex(m): 7:15pm On Jan 01, 2013
[size=28pt]wait and lemme ask alfa kabiru...
[/size]
Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by outrage: 8:24pm On Jan 01, 2013
Muslims have their calender, its called hijri.

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by maclatunji: 11:58pm On Jan 01, 2013
Omolola1: I was arguing with a muslim fanatic this evening on the celebration of new year, he said they don't believe in it, something like they follow the islamic calendar

I saw some alfa's in mosques yesterday praying on my way back from the crossover service, when I told him this, he said those alphas weren't practising the religion well.

Is this true?

I mean "new year" is a worldwide thing, everyone has cause to celebrate, could this be true?

My dear friend, I think you are in a biased state of mind. You were arguing and debating with someone and just because their position is different from what you have always known, you tag him a fanatic? That makes you a bigot in my opinion.

I am taking the time to point this out to you because you may be doing it unconsciously without really thinking about it.

Now, that is out of the way, the gregorian calendar has little more than a mundane value to Muslims who are at a reasonable level of consciousness and understanding of our religion living in countries where it is the official calender. So, I understand that our government has a new budget in 2013 and work restarts tomorrow for me.

However, I see no spiritual significance in the change in figure like you do. You consider it important enough to go and pray to welcome it. The Islamic calendar has greater significance to me because important dates and events of my religion are based on it- the same is true of hundreds of millions of other Muslims.

As for Muslims who organise events to mark the gregorian new year, they are either being ignorant or duplicitous in nature- QED.

4 Likes

Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by advocate666: 4:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
maclatunji:
As for Muslims who organise events to mark the gregorian new year, they are either being ignorant or duplicitous in nature- QED.

Or maybe they want to enjoy life like normal people. You think say na everybody dey extremist as you?

3 Likes

Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by maclatunji: 12:22am On Jan 03, 2013
advocate666:

Or maybe they want to enjoy life like normal people. You think say na everybody dey extremist as you?

Such a comment is expected from some simple-minded folks. How you chose to pray has little or nothing to do with "enjoying life". However, it is an expression of your religious beliefs.

Obviously, your vocabulary is limited, that is why you equate being principled to extremism. I am close to being convinced that you are a simpleton-in-thought. Don't make it a fact by responding to me in like manner to your first post on this thread.
Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by dragnet: 7:14am On Jan 03, 2013
maclatunji:

Such a comment is expected by some simple-minded folks. How you chose to pray has little or nothing to do with "enjoying life". However, it is an expression of your religious beliefs.

Obviously, your vocabulary is limited, that is why you equate being principled to extremism. I am close to being convinced that you are a simpleton-in-thought. Don't make it a fact by responding to me in like manner to your first post on this thread.
cool

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by dragnet: 7:22am On Jan 03, 2013
Omolola1: I was arguing with a muslim fanatic this evening on the celebration of new year, he said they don't believe in it, something like they follow the islamic calendar

Is this true?

Islam isnt a religion that is based on any individual's intellect unlike others. . .
Even if the King of Saudi is celebrating it doesnt mean its legal. . .
Every action a muslim is to perform from cradle to grave & when, how to perform them has been legislated. . .and celebrating the new year isnt part of it., if there's no legislation to celebrate even the new hijrah year, why then wuld one wana celebrate a pagan's year?

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by advocate666: 2:05pm On Jan 18, 2013
dragnet: cool

I can see you are easily impressed.
Re: Do Muslims Believe In New Year? by advocate666: 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2013
maclatunji:

Such a comment is expected from some simple-minded folks. How you chose to pray has little or nothing to do with "enjoying life". However, it is an expression of your religious beliefs.

I was actually expecting a "hit-the-ban-button" reflex reaction from you but am pleasantly suprised that you could actually comprehensibly string a few sentences together without losing it despite you being a muslim.

Being labelled an extremist of that which one is proud of is not actually negative. I for example will be proud to be refered to as an extremist Satanist. It shows that I will diligently and precisely follow the instructions of my master without fear or favour. These so called moderates are just misguided. Don't become one of them.

Did you have a new year resolution to hit the ban button less or what? I'm asking because I noticed that your most recent posts are less threatening but positively stating your views. Good for you if so.

Don't take my lack of response for 2 weeks as sign of weakness. It's just that your fellow righteous muslim, Mukina2, decided that it may be pleasing to Allah to give a 2 week blanket forum ban to a Devil worshipper who broke no rules. Getting used to nairaland moderation now.

(1) (Reply)

Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me / Does Precum Calls For Taking Ghuslu Janabah / Who Is A Muslim?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.