Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,882 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? (111299 Views)

Why Do Muslims Face The East ? / Why Do Muslims Face Mecca When Praying? / Why Do Muslims Face The Moon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by olutomiwa(m): 8:57pm On May 15, 2007
Why do muslims face the East when praying?is that where Allah lives or there is a spiritual meaning to it?me think God is everywhere and you can talk to him facing ANYWHERE or what do you think.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Gwaine(m): 10:23pm On May 15, 2007
Good question. Infact sef, it's not just the East they face. Wetin dey inside the Kaa'ba gaaan na im we wan know! cool
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by mukina2: 10:48pm On May 15, 2007
we face the east because thats where the Holy kaba is cheesy
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Gwaine(m): 12:01am On May 16, 2007
Okay, part I answered. Parts II and III follow:

# wetin dey inside the Kaa'ba - and what is so sacred about it?

# Why must Muslims face a particular direction to pray? Is God limited to the East?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 1:27am On May 16, 2007
mukina2:

Muslims in Iceland face east. . . muslims in Nigeria face east. . . muslims in iraq face east. . .

Is "east" the same direction for everyone? Are they really facing the ka'aba or worshipping the moon?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by thesilent1(m): 6:57am On May 16, 2007
nice one. geography eat your heart out
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by babs787(m): 10:19am On May 16, 2007
@davidylan

Do they still worship moon during daytime?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by nossycheek(f): 12:15pm On May 16, 2007
davidylan:

Muslims in Iceland face east. . . muslims in Nigeria face east. . . muslims in iraq face east. . .

Is "east" the same direction for everyone? Are they really facing the ka'aba or worshipping the moon?

Spoke my heart. Please do all east wherever you are add up to kaaba?
Me I no do geography and I want to know.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by mukina2: 1:08pm On May 16, 2007
Gwaine .the Ka'ba is holy

haaaa we face the east .thats where the Ka'aba is cool

@david .yeah all muslims face the east
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 16, 2007
babs787:

@davidylan

Do they still worship moon during daytime?

stop being mischievious and answer the question. Does "east" face the same direction for muslims in Nigeria, Finland and Saudi Arabia?

mukina2:

Gwaine .the Ka'ba is holy

haaaa we face the east .thats where the Ka'aba is cool

@david .yeah all muslims face the east

Is the ka'aba the only thing in the eastern direction?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 5:34pm On May 16, 2007
Yes if Muslims east of the equator face east,are they still facing the kaaba?
We need a geography student to break this down.

Do you guys know that Muslims previously faced Jerusalem before they started facing mecca.
Did allah relocate? grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by olutomiwa(m): 5:51pm On May 16, 2007
babyosisi:

Do you guys know that Muslims previously faced Jerusalem before they started facing mecca.
Did allah relocate? grin
yes,when his house rent expired in Jerusalem grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by babaluku: 5:51pm On May 16, 2007
olutomiwa:

yes,when his house rent expired in Jerusalem grin
funny
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by olutomiwa(m): 6:57pm On May 16, 2007
mukina2:

i was made to understand that kaaba is a "holy" stone{i wonder what made it holy}what is so special about the stone?why did  you people cover it with black cloth?and why MUST you face it when praying?also remember to answer other questions posted by davidylan,gwaine,babyosisi and others,we are WAITING.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 16, 2007
This is a funny one,by british muslim criminals.

By JAMIE PYATT

JAIL bosses are rebuilding toilets so Muslim inmates don’t have to use them while facing Mecca.

Thousands of pounds of taxpayers money are being spent to ensure lags are not offended.

The Islamic religion prohibits Muslims from facing or turning their backs on the Kiblah — the direction of prayer — when they visit the lav.

Muslim lags claimed they have had to sit sideways on prison WCs.

But after pressure from faith leaders the Home Office has agreed to turn the existing toilets 90 degrees at HMP Brixton in London.

The Home Office refused to reveal the cost of the new facilities — part of an “on-going refurbishment”.

One Muslim former inmate said: “The least the Prison Service can do is make sure people can practise their religion correctly in prison.”

But a Brixton jail officer said: “If they didn’t get locked up for committing crime they would not have this problem. Yet we have to sort out their loos. If we weren’t paying for it as taxpayers I’d laugh my socks off.”

Around a quarter of prisoners at the Category B jail are Muslims.

Labour MP Khalid Mahmood said: “As far as I understand this rule only applies in a place of worship.”

Tory MP Ann Widdecombe said: “Some common sense needs to be applied.”
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 16, 2007
When Islam first began, Muslims also prayed in the direction of Jerusalem. However, in 2 AH Muhammad issued the instruction to face the Kab'ah in Mecca in response to a revelation he received: "Turn then thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque:. (Qur'an, Surah 2:144).
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by mrpataki(m): 10:16pm On May 16, 2007
babyosisi:

When Islam first began, Muslims also prayed in the direction of Jerusalem. However, in 2 AH Muhammad issued the instruction to face the Kab'ah in Mecca in response to a revelation he received: "Turn then thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque:. (Qur'an, Surah 2:144).

Yet another question please:
Is the Kab'ah the same thing as the Sacred Mosque? What exactly is the sacred mosque, and where is it? East, West, South or North?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by ricadelide(m): 4:08am On May 17, 2007
babyosisi:

This is a funny one,by british muslim criminals.

By JAMIE PYATT

JAIL bosses are rebuilding toilets so Muslim inmates don’t have to use them while facing Mecca.

Thousands of pounds of taxpayers money are being spent to ensure lags are not offended.

The Islamic religion prohibits Muslims from facing or turning their backs on the Kiblah — the direction of prayer — when they visit the lav.

Muslim lags claimed they have had to sit sideways on prison WCs.

facing the east while doing your thing,,,,,, that's what you call HOLY SH^T! wink
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 4:12am On May 17, 2007
Even when they have their heads firmly buried in the sand of political correctness, they do it facing east!
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by babs787(m): 9:02am On May 17, 2007
@all

You will continue showing your ignorance even if one does not want to indulge in debate with you.

@Davidylan

stop being mischievious and answer the question. Does "east" face the same direction for muslims in Nigeria, Finland and Saudi Arabia?

You need to consult your map for that. If you care to know if we all face the same direction, am giving you just one assignment, please find out for me the work of 'Qiblah detector'

Even when they have their heads firmly buried in the sand of political correctness, they do it facing east!

Yes same as above. Go find out what I told you to do and when you are through, you get back at me.

Is the ka'aba the only thing in the eastern direction?

It may not be the only thing but its the direction we all muslims face.

@babyosis

You need to consult your map and also if all muslims are not facing east, find out the work of a mat called 'Qiblah detector'

Quran 2 v 142: The fools among the people (pagans, hypocrites, and jews) will say, 'what has turned them (Muslims) from their Qiblah (prayer direction towards Jerusalem) to which they used to face in prayer;. Say, '(O Muhammed), To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom he wills to the Straight part.

v 143: thus we have made you (true muslims- real believers of Islamic Monotheism, true followers of Prophet Muhammed and his sunnah (legal ways), a just (and the best) nation, that you be witness over mankind and the Messenger be a witness over you. And we made the Qiblah (prayer direction towards jerusalem) which you used to face, only to test those who followed the Messenger (Muhammed saw) from those who would turn on their heels (i.e disobey the messenger). Indeed it was great (heavy) except for those whom Allah guided. And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost (i.e your prayers offered towards Jerusalem). Truly, Allah is full of kindness, the most Merciful towards mankind.

v 144: verily! we have seen the turning of your (Muhammed) face towards the heaven. Surely we shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-Al-Haram (at Mekkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scripture (i.e jews and christians) know well that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Kabah at Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.

It has been provided up, you only need to read for understanding.

@olutomiwa

yes,when his house rent expired in Jerusalem

I laugh a lot whenever I read your posts. You have always shown ignorance in all your posts so will not waste time in explaining things to you.

i was made to understand that kaaba is a "holy" stone{i wonder what made it holy}what is so special about the stone?why did you people cover it with black cloth?and why MUST you face it when praying?also remember to answer other questions posted by davidylan,gwaine,babyosisi and others,we are WAITING.

That is one of the problems with you christians. You just build your church anyhow, facing direction pastors want it to but in Islam, the direction of the Kaaba not only unifies the Muslims, but it also increases the Glorification and Praising of Allah.

Muslims all over the world face the same direction thereby unifying the glorification and praising of Allah.

@pataki

Yet another question please:
Is the Kab'ah the same thing as the Sacred Mosque? What exactly is the sacred mosque, and where is it? East, West, South or North?

You need to consult your map for that too.

@ricadelide

facing the east while doing your thing,,,,,, that's what you call HOLY SH^T!

Bird of a feather.

Question for you all please:

Do the Jews facing the Wailing Wall signifies idol worshipping?
How do the Orthodox Jews worship God?
Please explain the verse below too:

Psalm 138:2: I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.

Do we say he is worshipping the temple because he faced it during prayer?

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Lumzi(m): 10:06am On May 17, 2007
I just want to say to babs: youve really done your homework. You have silenced the olotes. Its people like you who make me sure that im on the right path. safe. wink
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by babs787(m): 10:40am On May 17, 2007
@Lumzi

Insert Quote
I just want to say to babs: youve really done your homework. You have silenced the olotes. Its people like you who make me sure that im on the right path. safe.

Salam

May Allah increase our knowledge

Maa Salam

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by osasp(m): 11:08am On May 17, 2007

Psalm 138:2: I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.

Do we say he is worshipping the temple because he faced it during prayer?
[quote][/quote]hey guy, get ur facts straight, jews r different from christians, christians r followers r christ, jews dont believe in christ

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by nossycheek(f): 11:53am On May 17, 2007
Lumzi:

I just want to say to babs: youve really done your homework. You have silenced the olotes. Its people like you who make me sure that im on the right path. safe. wink

yeah, you are on the right path to enternal damnation cool
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 17, 2007
yeah, you are on the right path to enternal damnation

the prophetess strikes again!!!!! tongue

another busy day for prophetess nossycheek, condemning muslims to the 'hottest part of hell' ! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by babs787(m): 12:16pm On May 17, 2007
hey guy, get your facts straight, jews r different from christians, christians r followers r christ, jews don't believe in christ

You are confusing yourself dude. Did you grab the topic at all? Is the topic not about direction?

Or better still,  explain yourself better and what you meant by the highlighted words in relation to the topic at hand.

@nossycheeks

yeah, you are on the right path to enternal damnation

Mathew 7 v 13-14: Go in through the narrow gate, because the gate to hell is wide and the road that leads to it is easy and there are many who travel it. But the gate to life is narrow and the way that leads to it is hard, and there are few people who find it.

I doubt if you ever understand the above verse and that is the more reason we are  having (****)  people accepting christianity as a religion. Thats the trap being used by satan, a wide gate leading to destruction and many people are following it.

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by nasnas(m): 12:26pm On May 17, 2007
Some graduates in dis naija know little or notin about bible and yet dey r pastor y?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 1:15pm On May 17, 2007
@Lumzi,

Lumzi:

Has he really?

"The first person to speak in court always seems right until his opponent begins to question him" -- Prov. 18:17
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Grouppoint(m): 1:17pm On May 17, 2007
Muslims do this because their holy book instructs to do so.
There are very many things 'we' Christians do, simply because the bible says so.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Grouppoint(m): 1:17pm On May 17, 2007
Its really an issue with all faith based religions. Abraham nearly slaughtered his son because he had faith. Think about it. Imagine what would have become of us all, if he stood there arguing the concept and logic with God.

Finally, isnt it at all possible to dialogue without name calling. For the real christians on this site, it really is a sin, when you see an opportunity to save a 'lost' person, but you choose to condemn him instead.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 1:19pm On May 17, 2007
babs787:

You are confusing yourself dude. Did you grab the topic at all? Is the topic not about direction?

Why do Muslims face the East when praying?

Grouppoint:

Muslims do this because their holy book instructs to do so.

What texts in the Qur'an or Hadith exist for this practice?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 1:28pm On May 17, 2007
Psa. 138:2 - "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."

babs787:

I don't read that they bow down to a black stone, or kiss the black stone like Muhammad and his companions did.

babs787:

As revealed to them in their Scriptures.

babs787:

Notice the connection in that verse to the name. This is in allusion to the following:

"That thine eyes may be open toward this house night and day, even toward the place of which thou hast said, My name shall be there: that thou mayest hearken unto the prayer which thy servant shall make toward this place. And hearken thou to the supplication of thy servant, and of thy people Israel, when they shall pray toward this place: and hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place: and when thou hearest, forgive."  -- 1Kings 8:29-30

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Prayers For Couples Trying To Conceive A Child (TTC) / The Nafilat In The Night Of Ramadan / Shaykh Adam Abdullah Al-ilory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.