Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,075 members, 7,835,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

60 Die In Ivory Coast's New Year Celabration Stampede - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60 Die In Ivory Coast's New Year Celabration Stampede (464 Views)

Obasanjo And Osibanjo In Ivory Coast (Photos) / Dele Momodu Likens GEJ Fate Afta March To Lautent Gbagbo Of Ivory Coast Case / 7 Nigerian Peacekeepers Killed In Ivory Coast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

60 Die In Ivory Coast's New Year Celabration Stampede by topeorekoy(m): 7:59am On Jan 02, 2013
At least 60 people died and at least dozens were injured in Abidjan, Ivory Coast’s commercial capital, as crowds stampeded overnight during celebratory New Year’s fireworks, Ivory Coast rescue workers said Tuesday.

The head of military rescue workers, Lieutenant Colonel Issa Sako, told public television that “60 people” died and 200 were injured based on a preliminary toll. Another rescue official said told AFP the toll is “61 dead and 48 injured.”

The rescue official said the injured had been taken to hospitals in Abidjan. An AFP journalist saw many injured children.

The flow of people coming to the entrance of the city’s main stadium to watch the fireworks caused a “very large crush”, Sako said. “In the crush, people were walked over and suffocated by the crowd.”

Images broadcast by RTI television showed bodies stretched lifeless on the ground. Piles of abandoned shoes and clothing could also be seen at the stadium, where soldiers and police were deployed.

Witnesses said the stampede had broken out after the fireworks ended, though the cause remains unclear. It erupted near the stadium’s main entrance, where security had set up tree trunks as crowd control barriers.

Visibly shaken children were among the roughly 40 wounded taken to a hospital in the wealthy neighbourhood of Cocody, in the north of the economic capital.

A mother named Zeinab who had taken two of her children to the stadium found one of them in the hospital, a small boy who lay on a bed in a groggy state.

Zeinab said she “hurt all over” and showed a journalist the scratches on her body.

“I don’t know what happened but I found myself lying on the ground with people stepping on me, pulling my hair or tearing my clothes,” she said.

She said she had been knocked unconscious and been pulled from the crowd by a young man.

http://topeorekoya..com/2013/01/60-die-in-ivory-coasts-new-year.html

Re: 60 Die In Ivory Coast's New Year Celabration Stampede by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 02, 2013
May their soul rest in peace.
Re: 60 Die In Ivory Coast's New Year Celabration Stampede by Akshow: 8:16am On Jan 02, 2013
Na wa o. Which kind eve reach this levels na

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill 26-yr-old Mother In Benue / If You Could Have One Power In Life What Would It Be And Why? / Forbes Has Ranked Nigeria As The 20th Saddest Place To Live In The Whole World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.