Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? (11328 Views)

Look At The Snake My Younger Brother Killed This Night At His Door Step (PICS) / How Often Do You Look At Yourself In The Mirror In A Day? / My First Animated Tatoo! "wow" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by charlsecy4(m): 2:55pm On Jan 02, 2013
My personal view on tattoos

Unfortunately, my view on tattoos may be called irrational. I just don't like it; in fact, I hate it. I just grow up to find I don't fancy it...... for no reason. And that's why I said my views may be termed irrational, because my hatred for tattoos has no basis.

But then, my personal view on tattoos shouldn't count, so let's continue.

Tattoos

Should I define what a tattoo means? I am tempted not to. However, for the sake of organisation, let me do so. A tattoo is a permanent picture, design, or other marking made on the skin by pricking it and staining it with an indelible dye. When I talk of tattoos, I mean permanent ones.

Tattoos: right or wrong?

LEVITICUS 19:28: "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you. I am Yahweh [Jehovah]." The above Biblical verse gives the impression that GOD outrightly condemns tattooing.

I have read many write-ups on tattoos. I came to discover that at the time GOD handed this command to the people of Israel through Prophet Moses, Israel's neighbours were pagans. These pagan neighbours marked themselves with tattoos and engaged in physical, religiously-motivated superstitious practices. THEY DID THESE MARKINGS ON THEIR BODY IN HONOUR OF THE OBJECT OF THEIR WORSHIP.... IN HONOUR OF DIFFERENT IDOLS. So, it's most likely that GOD commanded His people not to be involved with tattooing to avoid the risk of adopting such marks in honour of some idols, to avoid imitating the pagan worship practices that included the cutting and the tattooing of the body; and they were wisely forbidden.

Are modern-day tattoos pagan-associated?

One may argue that in the Old Testament, people did tattoos as part of a pagan practice, and devotion to an idol, but most modern-day tattoo-bearers do so for the sake of fashion, not because they are dedicated to a deity, and that Christians are no longer under the commands of the Old Covenant, so if a Christian wants to get a tattoo, then they should be allowed to.

That tattoos are no longer connected to pagan customs is not necessarily the case, because the receiving of a tattoo is still primarily a sub-cultural practice. The main groups of individuals I see tattoos on are those people who are outside the norms of our society. It is the bikers, the criminal gang element, the rock and roll culture, the gothic culture and other groups that act in rebellion toward the mainstream of society that generally have tattoos. If a Christian wants to get a tattoo, they need to take this into consideration and determine if, whether or not, they want to be associated with these various worldly groups whose world-view promotes rebellious attitudes. I do believe a Christian should exercise wisdom when they consider getting tattoos.

Should I put on a tattoo?

Like I said earlier, I have read many articles on the morality of tattoos. It is a well-debated issue in the Christian community, and there are differing opinions as to whether a tattoo is sinful or not. As a Christian, decisions need to be made with your eyes on God. So, if you do choose to get a tattoo, remember that, while man looks at the outside appearance, God looks at the heart.

Personally, I think the scripture does not explicitly ban fashion-related tattoos, or let me say the scripture is silent on the matter, but it does bring up the question as to why a person wants to get a tattoo and which tattoos to get. As with some sin it is not the act but the intent that matters.

Before you get a tattoo, critically consider these
:

The question that remains is the “Why?” If you think a tattoo will score you dates because it’ll make you look cool – I would caution you to think about why you feel this need to “be cool.” What is the primary purpose you decided to get a tattoo? Is it to draw attention? A Christian should question whether or not such a practice is for the express purpose of drawing attention to themselves. Does it truly honour the Lord? Or will it negatively affect the body of Christ? Will I cause a weaker brother to stumble if I receive a tattoo? Is my decision based on faith and will the result be glorifying to God? Would this particular act needlessly offend my family, friends, neighbours, and colleagues, and thus hinder my ability to lead others to Christ and His Church?

Tattooing is often done by young and impetuous folks who want to be trendy, and thus they do not think of the consequences of putting a permanent mark on their body. When they "grow up" and desire to become serious about life, a family and a real job, having tattoos all over their bodies tends to be a distraction for them. They are people who got a tattoo when they were young unbelievers and now they regret it something terrible. All Christians need to ponder carefully if whether a tattoo is something they are willing to live with the rest of their life, before they get one. Fashions change, so one day tattoos will be out of style. How long do tattoos remain on the skin?. JEREMIAH 31:19 — "SURELY, AFTER MY TURNING, I REPENTED; AND AFTER I WAS INSTRUCTED, I STRUCK MYSELF ON THE THIGH; I WAS ASHAMED, YES, EVEN HUMILIATED, BECAUSE I BORE THE REPROACH OF MY YOUTH."

If the act of getting tattoo is rebellion against parents, authority, etc. – then it is a sin. For instance, if your parents tell you not to get a tattoo and you do it to spite them, then getting a tattoo is sinful, because God’s commandment calls for you to “HONOUR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER.” Exodus 20:12. Will my future spouse want me to have this tattoo?

Which do you think is wiser: to do something that is permanent but will be popular for only a season, or to not adopt the popular, but passing, fad? People change their minds about what is attractive. Have you ever changed your mind about a clothing style or hairstyle, and then made the change in wardrobe or hairstyle? How hard are tattoos to remove? How painful? How costly?

There is some evidence tattoos can have negative consequences on one's health — enough evidence for some states and local communities to have regulations for tattooing facilities, and enough evidence to raise concerns by the European Commission. Is taking unnecessary risks to our health showing proper care for the temple of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

4 Likes

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 02, 2013
LIKE MY MUM
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
Having a tattoo doesn't necessarily change anything about anybody. But i doubt in a million years to come, my Mom would want to have a tattoo. For why nau??
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
Like she is still my loving Mother! We all have our different fashion senses. I don't like tatoos, doesn't mean I don't like people with tatoos. Where I am subtle with my fashion statement,my mother can choose to be as bold as she pleases in as much as she doesn't enter indecency . As far as I'm concerned, dear Mama has only made a bold and permanent fashion statement by getting a tatoo. Simple.

1 Like

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 2:58pm On Jan 02, 2013
Etumgbe: If I see the tatoo on her brea.st I'll disown her

If she saw a tattoo on your something too will she disown you??

1 Like

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by honeric01(m): 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
pekelepekele: [b]and the 6th is Jesus image .

Which of the Jesus's image? the white one, black one? which Jesus exactly? BTW, how does Jesus look like?
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by trimandtrendy(f): 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
I dont even need to say much. My dad would help in chasing her from the house before she even sits down. Tatoo ke?
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by fubbyy(m): 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
Callotti: I believe this is 2013.
The last time I checked. . . .it was a free world.
With FREEEEEEEEEEE WILL! kiss

Oh honey. . .she can 'ave gold and silver medals dangling from her 'cleetoh' or hemorrhoids. . .if she wishes. . . . NOT MY GADDEM BIZZ. . . as long as she is HAPPY! kiss
God bless you
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 02, 2013
As long as she doesn't flaunt it all over the place like she's my peer then I'm good.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by abdulkayus(m): 3:03pm On Jan 02, 2013
My mum and grand mum both hav tatoo. Dey are all frm Ilorin in kwara. Dey hav it on their hand and legs. I think in dos days, dey take it as fashion and beautify their body. Nt d way we take it today inwhich some hav d tatoo all over d body or at obscure places of d body.
I respect my mum a lot. She is d best mom in d world.

1 Like

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by nollywood20: 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
The picture of an African woman with her body totally covered by tattoos is the cover model for Orikinla Osinachi's classic poem Na-ked Beauty from the screenplay of the same title by Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima and Dr. Chika Onu, the multiple awards winning Nollywood producer/director.

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 02, 2013
There are laali used by northerners and it is beautiful...igbos use uli (ide uli)from ogirisi or uli tree...used mainly by women as cosmetics same way it is done with modern day tattoo..also used medically on kids.

Its not permanent though..it wears off after some time.

I,ll be dissappointed if i see her with modern ones done with machine.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by luluosas(m): 3:13pm On Jan 02, 2013
Thank God my mother will 'NEVER' tatoo.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Abbey2sam(m): 3:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
Jollyzone: If you found out your mum has tatoo will you still think of her as someone who was down to earth in her prime days? Will you still think of her as someone who is honourable and worthy of imitation?

@op how do you want Tonto Dikeh unborn children to feel @this your topic?

What is tatoo? How does it affect our ways of life? What's bad about it? What makes you think it's bad?

For me I don't see anything wrong about tatoo, she may have as many as she want.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Kassidy90(m): 3:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
Tattoo is nt a modern thing....
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by reagand200(m): 3:19pm On Jan 02, 2013
My GRANDMA , Madam Debora Jolade Nee Johnson (JP)had TATOOS...she crossed-over in the year 1995 at the age of 80.
It was cool seeing it on her.

2 Likes

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Pat4lyf: 3:20pm On Jan 02, 2013
I wil luk @ her in an irresponsible way.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by sconsults: 3:20pm On Jan 02, 2013
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Tobbylobar(m): 3:21pm On Jan 02, 2013
This tatoo we r talking is not a new thing in Africa...my grandma who died seven years ago at age of 78 have tatoo on her hands n legs...it covers all her hand n legs is beautiful i use to question her before she died dat who do all dis design on her....so wats d big deal about it...

1 Like

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Rastamann: 3:22pm On Jan 02, 2013
Tatoos are normal and does not connote immorality but in this case, it depends on what part of her body where she had the tatoo inscribed.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by delors(m): 3:23pm On Jan 02, 2013
Depending on the type of tatoo...if its the contemporary type pple wear about on their arms, legs, bo.obs, neck, tummy etc then it will be very very hard for her to parent my younger brothers becos dos guys bad well well...as for me, i'd understand...it doesnt affect me in no way...but if na the old school type wey my grandma get plenty for her arms and legs (her names, DOB, tribe, etc) nna, na who cares!
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Topsense: 3:27pm On Jan 02, 2013
Why not. I will even clap for her. Una no get work.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
Only on a Nigerian forum they can ask this kinda ridiculous question...Even my 97 years old grandma from Ekiti has tattoos from back in the days.....my mom has tatoos as well...its like a mom asking "if your child have sex before marriage would you still respect them"
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Lachynos2k2(m): 3:43pm On Jan 02, 2013
no big deal,,both my greatgrand mother and my grandmother both had tatoo before they died(native tatoo though)bt tatoo na tatoo.

1 Like

Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Medley(m): 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2013
pekelepekele: Tattoos are of different types , So it all depend on the type your mom did before you call her wayward or feel disappointed and it all depend on your Race and your mentality , No one will open this type of thread on any foreign forums well My mom had 6 tattoos done on her body , 5 of the tattoos are the names of are kids and the 6th is Jesus image . So what? give me 1 reason why I should be disappointed? and more she spent her youth life overseas and apart from all of that at least Ki OYINBO TO GBE TATTOO DEY LATIN LE LALI

tattoos shld been seen from ur cultural and religion background. A christian that draws a tattoo has failed a simple instruction. Lev 19:28 ......do not mark your skin with tattoos.....Nlv.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 4:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
Medley:

tattoos shld been seen from ur cultural and religion background. A christian that draws a tattoo has failed a simple instruction. Lev 19:28 ......do not mark your skin with tattoos.....Nlv.

Assuming You're right, you've still not answered the question - will you honour your momma less if you found out she had it?
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by Bright2(m): 4:03pm On Jan 02, 2013
If she is wealthy,carry go but if she's poor,ru bb ii sh!
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by NosaHenry(m): 4:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
Jollyzone: If you found out your mum has tatoo will you still think of her as someone who was down to earth in her prime days? Will you still think of her as someone who is honourable and worthy of imitation?

Are you aware that our parents used to ware tatoo in those days before the advent of America styled tatoo now associated with rascality?
Anybody can ware tatoo it does not mean they are all waywards
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by ignis: 4:09pm On Jan 02, 2013
nollywood20: African women, including mothers have been having tattoos since the reign of Oduduwa.

There is different between culture tattoo Απϑ fashion/iskanci tattoo.
Re: If You Found Out Your Mum Has Tatoo, How Will You Look At Her? by KayDee4: 4:09pm On Jan 02, 2013
What kind of mother she has been, transcends everything else. Whether or not she has a tatoo or piercings in her **** would count for nothing if she's been a perfect mum or close.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Proof That Mermaids ["mami Water"] Do Exist ?? / Nairaland Or Facebook: Which Is The Best? / Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.