Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,588 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action (6230 Views)

Apologize To Fulani Race Or Face Legal Action - Allah Kautal Hore Warns Kayode / Fayose: Buhari Forfeited Half His Salary? I Am Ready To Forfeit All Of Mine / Okupe’s Lawyer Writes Linda Ikeji, Demands Immediate Apology. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by LailaIkeji1: 5:23pm On Jan 02, 2013
Nigerian lawyer and human rights activist, Bamidele Aturu, has written to the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN Governor, Lamido Sanusi to furnish details of his salary, allowances and others to him under the Freedom of Information Act, FOI, within seven days or face legal action.

Aturu wrote to Sanusi on behalf of his client, an advocate of the Supreme Court, Anthony Itedjere.

Aturu, in a letter to the CBN Governor dated 31 December, 2012 said his client is acting in accordance with section 1, 3 and 4 of the FOI Act to demand for the information.

According to the letter, “our client is interested in certain information which is in possession and or custody of the Central Bank of Nigeria (hereinafter referred to as ‘the bank’) and your office. Kindly provide the information to the best of your knowledge in the interest of transparency and openness which you have been advertised as championing.

“You are hereby specifically requested to make available to our client or grant to him access to: The Central Bank Act provides that your salary, fee, wages or other remuneration or allowances shall be stipulated from time to time by the Board subject to the approval of the President; How much is your total remuneration (that is salary plus allowances) per month? Do you charge the Bank or the Federal Government of Nigeria any fee outside your monthly remuneration? If so, state any such fee you have received since becoming the Governor of the bank.

“Do you travel business class or economy within Nigeria? Do you travel first class, business class or economy when travelling out of Nigeria? Have you ever used chartered plane for any of your travels within and outside Nigeria? If your answer to the above is in the affirmative, kindly list all such instances specifying the dates, the airline(s), the cost and the duration of the charter?” he requested.

Other information Aturu’s client is seeking from the CBN’s governor are: “Does the Bank own an aircraft? If so, what is the cost of the air craft and the cost of its servicing and maintenance? How many drivers are attached to your office by the bank? How many cleaners are attached to your office by the bank?

“How many drivers are attached to your house by the bank? How many cleaners are attached to your house by the bank? How much is your monthly imprest? When you travel within Nigeria, how much is your allowance? When you travel outside Nigeria, how much is your allowance? When last did you spend your personal money on purchasing fuel since you became the Governor of the bank?”

The letter added: “if you think that another agency of the government has greater interest in the information requested for, you are obliged under Section 5 of the Freedom of Information Act 2011 to transfer this request to the other agency within 3 days, howbeit not later than 7 days of receiving this request.

“Our client shall pay the necessary fees for the information. Be notified that if you fail to provide the above information within the period stipulated by law, we shall proceed against you in accordance with the provisions of the law.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/01/02/aturu-wants-central-banker-sanusi-declare-salary/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PmNewsNigeria+%28PM+News+Nigeria%29
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
Someone is on SLS's case.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Maxymilliano(m): 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2013
So, among all the various ills plaguing the country at the mo, it is Sanusi salary and emolument that is causing headache to some people

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by PapaBrowne(m): 1:26am On Jan 03, 2013
Maxymilliano: So, among all the various ills plaguing the country at the mo, it is Sanusi salary and emolument that is causing headache to some people
This is where you citizens keep failing. Someone has finally chosen to use the FOI effectively and you are talking nonsense. Every public officer should be made accountable to the public he serves.
The FOI bill Is the citizens tool to fight corruption. It's only very sad that the we the citizens and the opposition particularly only love talking loudly so we can be heard.
We should take this FOI bill and request information about everything from the exact cost components of contracts, to the salaries and allowances of public officers. It's called accountability.
We fail as citizens wihen we fail to use this bill effectively. More than anything, this bill was one of Jonathans big achievements.

21 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 03, 2013
Btful! Very btful!! Who says Nigeria no go better? Ds action will be a locus classicus when decision is reached. I hope it doesn't suffer a stillbirth.
Anoda case like ds is dat institutd against late yar'adua by channels t.v, where d court held dat ,since yar'adua enjoys immunity from prosecution, he cannot bring an action against anyone in hz personal capacity.
Why is d civil society keeping quiet in d Otteh & Reps face-off? It is evident dat her sin is exposing Hembe n co.
D task of making Nigeria gr8 begins wt u & i.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by seanet01: 7:31am On Jan 03, 2013
Maxymilliano: So, among all the various ills plaguing the country at the mo, it is Sanusi salary and emolument that is causing headache to some people
if you know of a better case to pursue, hire your own advocates and pursue it. Don't tell people not to pursue any issue they feel like.
It is not your finance they are using for this.

6 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by donchris369: 7:37am On Jan 03, 2013
Even if sanusi declares his salary does that stop him from looting and getting more richer than the lawyers. Oya sanusi declare your salary to pacify them and continue looting central bank dry. Hahahahahaha
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by majortele(m): 9:22am On Jan 03, 2013
Yes nw,stop deceiving us
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 03, 2013
at least he has tackled one plague, guy go handle one other plague, that way u wld av contributed meaningfully, and take paracetamol 4 ur 'headache'. Ode

6 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 03, 2013

i dey ccum abegg
make i go take tea & g2(garri)!
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by romanlaw(m): 9:51am On Jan 03, 2013
Well on point. Thats the only way we Lawyers can check-mate this plaque called corruption.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Willy7(m): 9:57am On Jan 03, 2013
Wow,the hunter is now becoming d hunted.SLS always sounds like a crusader and saint,i think its time we start seeing this people for who they really are.Oya show ur particulars (sorry,salary and emoluments).Corruption and not attitude is our problem.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 03, 2013
Guy u jst wan spoil dis thread wit dis ur 'free free' things dem. By the way, as a lagsian, i cnt laff.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by lafuria1(m): 10:23am On Jan 03, 2013
has the commander-in-cheif decleared his assest yet publicly? dont bother, he doesnt give a damn......

sanusi declares his salary, if he does that wat happened next? use that against him by saying his salary is too high, everybody knows where this is going, the guy is asking for his salary from day one (someone wants to descredit sanusi) grin. am just trying hard to understand why we should know his salary, is anybody here willing to give his bank details.
i dont know if the law says sanusi must declare, but u are going to require alot of people to declare as well, GMD of nnpc, ministers,etc..

FOI, still thinking wats the relevance of the info to nigerians because the fact is CBN governors are paid well and high of course, so he wants to compare senators that work twice a week to a CBN governor that works 5 days a week.

wish him well and to save time, will he should ask soludo to give him a rough estimate of his salary incase sanusi doesnt respond.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Joey82(m): 10:28am On Jan 03, 2013
I dont get it, does the freedom of information act require that SLS states his salary by himself?
Dont CBN have any wages/personnel department any more?
Has the lawyer been there and was turned down?
all these jobless lawyers looking for relevance self.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Ihailedthee: 10:30am On Jan 03, 2013
Aturu, in a letter to the CBN Governor dated 31 December, 2012 said his client is acting in accordance with section 1, 3 and 4 of the FOI Act to demand for the information.

democracy in action.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by kodewrita(m): 10:37am On Jan 03, 2013
romanlaw: Well on point. Thats the only way we Lawyers can check-mate this plaque called corruption.

Plague not plaque.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Parnassuss(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2013
This a very good development and I believe if it is exploited properly it can start the ball rolling on something bigger
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by lafuria1(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2013
Joey82: I dont get it, does the freedom of information act require that SLS states his salary by himself?
Dont CBN have any wages/personnel department any more?
Has the lawyer been there and was turned down?
all these jobless lawyers looking for relevance self.
thank you, if he was sincere he should have made an effort before shouting to the press. the lawyer knows what he is doing because most nigerians havent given that a thought, so he wants to use nigerians to put pressure on SLS and SLS salary will be a subject of debate.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Demdem(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2013
good development. Am also interested in knowing Sanusi's take home pay.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by hercules07: 11:20am On Jan 03, 2013
The lawyer should direct his query to the appropriate department within the CBN, the CBN is under an obligation to furnish the details and I am sure there is an appropriate unit responsible for that, he needs to take a cue from economists who trade tackles with the CBN and not personalities.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by klas(m): 11:22am On Jan 03, 2013
The questions being asked by this lawyer look more like witchunting. If it is for corruption, is he going to prosecute the case of corruption against a public official himself without involving the attorney general and icpc? And who say those offices dont have the figures akready. If it is to generate public debate to prove profligacy by Sanusi, he should have extended the question to cover the tenure of Sanusi predecessors in office so that we can compare.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by 2n2k(m): 11:24am On Jan 03, 2013
^^^ Seconded
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Jarus(m): 11:27am On Jan 03, 2013
I just contacted SLS (via SMS) on this:

ME: Good morning sir. I don't know what comment you have to make on Aturu's FOI request? Suraj

SLS: I am on leave. But someone had taken CBN to court under FOI for emoluments of governor and (positions withheld by me) as well as what we did with proceeds of Ibru recovery. The court threw out the first request and then asked us to account for Ibru money even though we were not party to the case! Ibru was HAGF vs Ibru and assets were forfeited to FGN and ceded to AMCON. Not a kobo came to CBN!

SLS(message 2) All this is happening because CBN itself is just too old-fashioned. 2 years ago I asked that we publish our salaries in annual accounts the way quoted companies do but the (positions withheld)were not willing to support. They said it will just open a new wave of stupid controversy. Anyway, let's see how things go.
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by hercules07: 11:31am On Jan 03, 2013
Jarus: I just contacted SLS (via SMS) on this:

ME: Good morning sir. I don't know what you have to comment you have to make on Aturu's FOI request? Suraj

SLS: I am on leave. But someone had taken CBN to court under FOI for emoluments of governor and some people(names withheld by me) as well as what we did with proceeds of Ibru recovery. The court threw out the first request and then asked us to account for

space reserved while I type out the exchange from my phone

Welcome back to Sanusi defense, let me hand it over to you while I concentrate on defending Buhari, it seems I might have to add to Fashola to the list sef as the PDP guys are already going after him (he is not perfect, heck he can do far better, but he is far far far better than the nonentities we have at the Federal level)

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by andyanders: 11:48am On Jan 03, 2013

Why not? They should make available to the public their personal income. Sanusi specifically stated during his subsidy speech that he cannot remember the last time he dipped his hands into his pocket to pay for fuel. These government officials seems to portray themselves too clean or above board but they are the most corrupt individuals in Nigeria.

He was championing printing N5,000 note and went ahead to call names, ONLY because he was trying to enrich himself with the contract of printing money. Go to Nigerian Printing and Minting Company, where massive fraud occurred and most of them now suspended, printing and taking the money away from their volt into personal pockets. Do we know the number of years that these acts has been going on? When they retire, they float companies and join parties claiming to be so clean to the world.
Same issue that Soludo did by printing useless coins and other denominations that never worked and the poly notes printed are worthless. The N20 Naira tears and cannot be patched. After enriching himself, he went in to contest for election as governor but failed.
Let Sanusi declare his salary, Even the President to all these people that come on air claiming to be clean while 419 ners are better than them.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 03, 2013
Jarus: I just contacted SLS (via SMS) on this:

ME: Good morning sir. I don't know what comment you have to make on Aturu's FOI request? Suraj

SLS: I am on leave. But someone had taken CBN to court under FOI for emoluments of governor and (positions withheld by me) as well as what we did with proceeds of Ibru recovery. The court threw out the first request and then asked us to account for Ibru money even though we were not party to the case! Ibru was HAGF vs Ibru and assets were forfeited to FGN and ceded to AMCON. Not a kobo came to CBN!

SLS(message 2) All this is happening because CBN itself is just too old-fashioned. 2 years ago I asked that we publish our salaries in annual accounts the way quoted companies do but the (positions withheld)were not willing to support. They said it will just open a new wave of stupid controversy. Anyway, let's see how things go.

ME: I have always trusted you sir.

Did you really have to add the response in bold? Makes you seem sycophantic.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by drstone1: 12:20pm On Jan 03, 2013
Nate overlord: .

i dey ccum abegg
make i go take tea & g2(garri)!
/\ /\ /\
what a combination for breakfast....fantastic!!!
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by OneDemola: 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2013
klas: The questions being asked by this lawyer look more like witchunting. If it is for corruption, is he going to prosecute the case of corruption against a public official himself without involving the attorney general and icpc? And who say those offices dont have the figures akready. If it is to generate public debate to prove profligacy by Sanusi, he should have extended the question to cover the tenure of Sanusi predecessors in office so that we can compare.

Please someone give this guy a coooold bottle of Star! You hit the nail on the head.

I have nothing against the use of the FOI bill, but the reckless and nonsensical use Mr. Aturu is going about is uncalled for; what would the outcome of his findings bring? No matter what figure is quoted as Sanusi's salary,it's obviously going to be too high, (even if he's collecting 400k per month)
Re: Lawyer Writes Sanusi Lamido To Declare His Salary Or Face Legal Action by SlyIg(f): 1:53pm On Jan 03, 2013
kodewrita:

Plague not plaque.
So how has your correction affected our discussion so far!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Legal Method Of Obtaining Personal Police Security / Who Is Aliko Dangote Wife Presently? / Any Northerner Here To Explain This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.