Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,036 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464018 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2013
actually Linux can't mount raw format, however it is likely that what your system is seeing as raw may just be as a result of a corrupt partition table. If that is the case then Linux should b able to help. Now this parted CD that you made, was ur from an I so file? If so can you open the iso file with maybe winrar or 7 zip? If so then maybe you didn't burn the image properly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by remajit: 8:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
I've had same issue before with my flash drive, though I had to format the flash with Ubuntu before I could get it to work, but you might be lucky to get your files back. You might need to boot the Laptop with a USB preloaded with Linux (Ubuntu), this should work, if you have a USB already you can send me an email @ remajitsolutions@gmail.com and I'll tell you how to go about it, else you might want to bey one of such USB flash drive. Visit http://remajit..com/2013/09/8gb-kingston-usb-flash-drive.html to get one.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by semid4lyfe(m): 5:58am On Oct 21, 2013
blackweaver: actually Linux can't mount raw format, however it is likely that what your system is seeing as raw may just be as a result of a corrupt partition table. If that is the case then Linux should b able to help. Now this parted CD that you made, was ur from an I so file? If so can you open the iso file with maybe winrar or 7 zip? If so then maybe you didn't burn the image properly.

YES, you're right. What I have is a corrupt partition table and that's why the ext HD appears as RAW.

The partedMagic I downloaded was an ISO file and I burnt it to a CD (DVD+RW) to create a bootable CD using infra recorder.

The CD appears to be okay however I've been unable to boot my HP Envy 17-j020us laptop with it and I think it has to do with the secure boot thing of windows 8 on this particular laptop.

I've watched so many youtube videos on how to boot windows 8 from CD and entered the BIOS to disable secure boot & done so many other configurations yet it won't boot from CD. I no be PC novice like that and I used to boot XP and Vista from CD wella but this my Hp Envy Windows 8 lapy no just gree.

I don't tire, I swear. Right now, I'm just after recovering my files so I don't mind sending my bad external HD & a new one down to one of you Linux gurus to help recover them on your OS.

Can you or anyone help?

NB: Pls, I'm after real time solutions and not peeps asking me to send 'em emails or buy stuff.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:59am On Oct 21, 2013
@semid, hmnn..........
internet was non-existent over the weekend so i didnt see this (effing airtel)

on your own basically i'd say create a thumb (USB) drive with Ubuntu on it. install GPARTED on the thumb drive ubuntu install and try to mount the external drive.

(U dont have to use your laptop that way) any computer with usb 2.0 will do.

if it don't mount, install "testdisk" and "recoverdm" on ubuntu (probably using synaptic) and try recover it.

you may be lucky and it will isolate the bad sectors and allow u copy some stuff out. (Believe it or not, once i got lucky with a DVD drive that suddenly showed up as RAW, likely because DVDs use sane contiguous journaling sha)

TBH, 50% of the files may be unuseable because that drive was NTFS formatted before and that rubbish writes bytes randomly all over the disk

I'm more wary about repairing that drive. the partition tables are corrupted, and in my experience that is pretty much EOD. rarely seen a drive that survived that.

Its difficult to agree to help these situations because success probability is like 5% grin grin grin u get it done, ur an hero. u fail and u just extinguished someborry's hope cheesy cheesy cheesy

but if ur in lagos, sure u can send someone down with it to my office. (easier to get me there, i practically live there anyways).

actually i'm more interested in how the drive got like that. Western Digital drives have decent controller chips

or u could even maybe swap out the platters (u need another drive and NSA level skills tho tongue tongue)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 9:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
And about the live cd that refused to boot, get a 64 bit version of ubuntu and make a live usb preferably
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:43am On Oct 22, 2013
why not use someone else's laptop to recover the files - one that doesn't come with secure boot. If there's enough free space on the device you could even resize the partition, create another partition from the free space and move the files to the other partition.
Honestly the way people are complaining abt this secure boot thingy i'm having a bad feeling abt what happens when i decide to get another laptop
Re: Ubuntu Linux by semid4lyfe(m): 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
4llerbuntu: @semid, hmnn..........
internet was non-existent over the weekend so i didnt see this (effing airtel)

on your own basically i'd say create a thumb (USB) drive with Ubuntu on it. install GPARTED on the thumb drive ubuntu install and try to mount the external drive.

(U dont have to use your laptop that way) any computer with usb 2.0 will do.

if it don't mount, install "testdisk" and "recoverdm" on ubuntu (probably using synaptic) and try recover it.

you may be lucky and it will isolate the bad sectors and allow u copy some stuff out. (Believe it or not, once i got lucky with a DVD drive that suddenly showed up as RAW, likely because DVDs use sane contiguous journaling sha)

TBH, 50% of the files may be unuseable because that drive was NTFS formatted before and that rubbish writes bytes randomly all over the disk

I'm more wary about repairing that drive. the partition tables are corrupted, and in my experience that is pretty much EOD. rarely seen a drive that survived that.

Its difficult to agree to help these situations because success probability is like 5% grin grin grin u get it done, ur an hero. u fail and u just extinguished someborry's hope cheesy cheesy cheesy

but if ur in lagos, sure u can send someone down with it to my office. (easier to get me there, i practically live there anyways).

actually i'm more interested in how the drive got like that. Western Digital drives have decent controller chips

or u could even maybe swap out the platters (u need another drive and NSA level skills tho tongue tongue)

ciphoenix: And about the live cd that refused to boot, get a 64 bit version of ubuntu and make a live usb preferably

blackweaver: why not use someone else's laptop to recover the files - one that doesn't come with secure boot. If there's enough free space on the device you could even resize the partition, create another partition from the free space and move the files to the other partition.

Honestly the way people are complaining abt this secure boot thingy i'm having a bad feeling abt what happens when i decide to get another laptop

Thanks y'all.

I've been able to recover my files in the Ext HD and all of 'em were undamaged. It was oyb's post in page 114 of this thread that pointed me in the right direction. All it took was a professional recovery Software. . .Runtime GetDataBack.

This software BAAAD. As in, I hadn't deep scanned more than 10% when it detected all my files (813GB worth of stuff) in the 1TB Ext HD. It was going to take 11hrs to finish scanning but I stopped it @ 10% to test if it would recover the files successfully and it did. Also, All the files were undamaged and usable. I even installed the Windows 8.1 Pro WMC OS ISO and many other softwares I recovered from the HD and they all worked perfectly. ALL THIS AT JUST 10% shocked

Lastly, I was able to boot my pc with the PartedMagic CD but that was after I had recovered my files. This knowledge will come in handy one day.

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:44am On Oct 24, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Thanks y'all.

I've been able to recover my files in the Ext HD and all of 'em were undamaged. It was oyb's post in page 114 of this thread that pointed me in the right direction. All it took was a professional recovery Software. . .Runtime GetDataBack.

This software BAAAD. As in, I hadn't deep scanned more than 10% when it detected all my files (813GB worth of stuff) in the 1TB Ext HD. It was going to take 11hrs to finish scanning but I stopped it @ 10% to test if it would recover the files successfully and it did. Also, All the files were undamaged and usable. I even installed the Windows 8.1 Pro WMC OS ISO and many other softwares I recovered from the HD and they all worked perfectly. ALL THIS AT JUST 10% shocked

Lastly, I was able to boot my pc with the PartedMagic CD but that was after I had recovered my files. This knowledge will come in handy one day.

Thanks once again.
cool cool cool
This needs to be posted in the Computer section of the forum for others to benefit from the use of the recovery software.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:44am On Oct 24, 2013
@ semid4lyfe

cool cool cool
Good to know you succeeded in using a recovery tool to get all your files back. I thought your said in one of your comments you've tried something of that nature before without success.

Now, you need to always have the tool handy should in case of running into the same problem again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by semid4lyfe(m): 5:24am On Oct 24, 2013
all4naija: @ semid4lyfe

cool cool cool
Good to know you succeeded in using a recovery tool to get all your files back. I thought your said in one of your comments you've tried something of that nature before without success.

Now, you need to always have the tool handy should in case of running into the same problem again.

YES I had tried other recovery softwares like Recuva, Recover My Files, TestDisk, PC Inspector File Recovery etc but not GetDataBack cool

Thanks for your help on the other thread. It is much appreciated
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:29am On Oct 24, 2013
aaah, a windows app that works!! grin grin grin grin

interesting.

means that drive is still ok. from jur earlier post you made it appear like the drive was gone and failed all tests.

anyway, lucky you. like i said, u should try pinpoint why this happened. it could be vital
Re: Ubuntu Linux by semid4lyfe(m): 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2013
4llerbuntu: aaah, a windows app that works!! grin grin grin grin

interesting.

means that drive is still ok. from jur earlier post you made it appear like the drive was gone and failed all tests.

anyway, lucky you. like i said, u should try pinpoint why this happened. it could be vital

Lol

On a serious note, I'm downloading Ubuntu 13.10 64bit OS right now and I may install it on my 8GB, 1TB Hp Envy 17-J020us Laptop but I've got a few nagging questions

- Does the OS come with all the essential drivers and apps? Audio, Graphics, Bluetooth, WLAN etc?

- Can I use powerISO, UltraISO, Deamons Tools Pro etc to install the Ubuntu OS ISO from a virtual drive or must it be run compulsorily from a USB drive or DVD?

- Can it be clean-installed over my Windows OS and still retain my files in an old windows folder just like what happens when you install a new Windows OS over another?

- If I'm not satisfied with it can I install my Windows OS over it using a virtual drive via PowerISO,UltraISO, Daemons Tools and other such softwares?

- Will windows softwares & apps install and work on Ubuntu or must I download Ubuntu compatible versions of these softwares or does Ubuntu have its softwares that do exactly what these windows softwares do?

- Will windows compatible external devices like Flash drives, External HD, External DVDrom, USB modems etc work with Ubuntu?

- Is Ubuntu as intuitive and easy to use as windows? Me be old dog and I can't start learning new tricks now

In short, take me as a baby and tell me all I need to know before I take the plunge. . .and please don't tell me to use google. Na learner I be tongue

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Lol

On a serious note, I'm downloading Ubuntu 13.10 64bit OS right now and I may install it on my 8GB, 1TB Hp Envy 17-J020us Laptop but I've got a few nagging questions

Does the OS come with all the essential drivers and apps? Audio, Graphics, Bluetooth, WLAN etc?

yes. it automatically drives most hardware unlike windows. but for some video cards you may need the proprietary drivers to all the oomph in it.
and the system will give u a notification to download it and install automatically. u wont need to download anything separately (like .exe) to then install

semid4lyfe: - Can I use powerISO, UltraISO, Deamons Tools Pro etc to install the Ubuntu OS ISO from a virtual drive or must it be run compulsorily from a USB drive or DVD?

No.

actually its possible. but thats beyond your skill level and actually not recommended.
use a usb or DVD.

as an added advantage, you can actually use the OS without having to install it. it will run from the USB or DVD fully. That way u can test run and even use it to work without committing to installing it.

better still, u can try it in a VM. easy peasy

semid4lyfe: - Can it be clean-installed over my Windows OS and still retain my files in an old windows folder just like what happens when you install a new Windows OS over another?

yes. u simply re-partition the drive and ensure u do not overwrite or format the partition containing your windows files

semid4lyfe: - If I'm not satisfied with it can I install my Windows OS over it using a virtual drive via PowerISO,UltraISO, Daemons Tools and other such softwares?

no. you cannot use those tools from within Ubuntu.

You can mount .iso natively in ubuntu without needing any software like daemon tools etc but since its a windows exe, it wont run.

BESIDES OPERATING SYSTEMS SHOULD NOT BE RUN LIKE THAT. THE DRIVE YOU WANT TO INSTALL ON IS THE SAME ONE YOU ARE RUNNING THE TOOL FROM, WHEN U FORMAT HOW WILL IT WORK?

semid4lyfe: - Will windows softwares & apps install and work on Ubuntu or must I download Ubuntu compatible versions of these softwares or does Ubuntu have its softwares that do exactly what these windows softwares do?

You use equivalents. Ubuntu has numerous competent ones. and a lot of things u need separate software for in windows are done natively by the OS in ubuntu.

where u absolutely need the windows version, there is a tool called W.I.N.E that can help you install and run windows applications in ubuntu.
not all apps work properly though.

better yet, you should just install virtualbox VM, and install windows in there. that way u can run your windows apps flawlessly

semid4lyfe: - Will windows compatible external devices like Flash drives, External HD, External DVDrom, USB modems etc work with Ubuntu?

definitely. ALL plug and Play btw. no installing drivers bla bla bla

semid4lyfe: - Is Ubuntu as intuitive and easy to use as windows? Me be old dog and I can't start learning new tricks now

Fairly. there is a learning curve. but unlike in the past it is totally mostly point and click (sadly for folks like me) its very noob friendly now.

semid4lyfe: In short, take me as a baby and tell me all I need to know before I take the plunge. . .and please don't tell me to use google. Na learner I be tongue

Naah, u will use google. inevitably. if u have questions or issues, they have been answered elsewhere. that is the power of opensource. so u will need to occasionally. thankfully gone are the days when installing ubuntu was a fight against the hardware.

what u will have are mostly 1st world problems i guess. how to bling, do efizzy etc etc.

now that i have broken quite a few rules, i hope u will take it from there.

by the way, i advice you to invest in a 8gb flash drive. those things are dirt cheap. and always come in handy when u want to start messing with installs. even windows is easier to install via USB these days.!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by semid4lyfe(m): 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2013
Just read the Installing Ubuntu 13.10 guide on Ubuntu's website and I realize it can be installed alongside Windows OS as a dual boot and I can choose the OS I want to run @ startup. That's cool.

Finished downloading the ISO. I'll burn it into a CD tomorrow and do the installation on Saturday. Till then. . . . . .. .. . .

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 24, 2013
semid4lyfe: Just read the Installing Ubuntu 13.10 guide on Ubuntu's website and I realize it can be installed alongside Windows OS as a dual boot and I can choose the OS I want to run @ startup. That's cool.

Finished downloading the ISO. I'll burn it into a CD tomorrow and do the installation on Saturday. Till then. . . . . .. .. . .

Just for encouragement. Please, install Windows Operating System first before the Ubuntu Linux. Don't forget to create a swap area during partitioning of your hard disk for you to have a smooth dual boot system - in this case Windows and Ubuntu Linux OS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 28, 2013
I regret installing Ubuntu 13:10 it messed my Zend Server and debugger, installed Apache 2.4 where many things have changed, I can't format or revert because too many works on it o swear I will never upgrade I will be sticking LTS from now on luckily the one in the office 12.04 and it stay that way for years. angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
@semi unless you are a developer or networker you won't see much relevance to Linux because you will keep comparing it to Windows. Linux is the best platform foe programming. My office if you use windows foe coding the other developers will keep mocking you especially when it comes to installing stuffs on the Linux server.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Aark737: 11:47am On Nov 05, 2013
Get your free 15GB cloud storage from the link below:
https://copy.com/?r=vwZrGL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:56am On Nov 05, 2013
Aark_737: Get your free 15GB cloud storage from the link below:
https://copy.com/?r=vwZrGL

You just need the referrals
Re: Ubuntu Linux by excel111(m): 11:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
ubuntu does nt support partition wit win 7
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:21am On Nov 11, 2013
excel111: ubuntu does nt support partition wit win 7

are u asking or telling us?

dont be obtuse pls. that statement, whatever it means, is wrong!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by sanyaele(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
Please I need some help with an Ubuntu setup (I am a newbie). I am trying to setup Ubuntu server (cli only) on a netbook, and I am figuring add LAMP and also make it a router (is this better than just buying a physical router like a mikrotik?). I am at the point where I have installed Ubuntu with LAMP, and I am already feeling overwelmed, can someone hold my hands through this process, please? (Other info: I have a physical router and a POE access point)

Thank you so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2013
Anyone experiencing the Debacle between Apache 2.4 and Ubuntu 13.10 with Zend Server 6.1 ? I still haven't seen anything different on 13.10; all my dev stack Node,Python,C++ and Mono still work well only PHP and Apache Broke
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Hey guys.

Thought just occurred to me. If I clone a drive with non standard partition tables, will restoring that clone migrate the partition table too?

I don't have the luxury of trying it out right now to experiment.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
4llerbuntu: Hey guys.

Thought just occurred to me. If I clone a drive with non standard partition tables, will restoring that clone migrate the partition table too?

I don't have the luxury of trying it out right now to experiment.

i think it should, cloning is like making an image of the drive, so unless the partition table isn't part of the data of the drive i don't see why not. However like you i don't have the luxury or time of trying out at the moment,in fact i think my hard disk is about to crash chei, now i'll have to shell ~16k for another 1tb harddrive
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
bumping this.

mod y u comot our sticky?

you should know this thread will not generate a million posts daily (thankfully) so therefore lack of activity cannot be a valid reason to unsticky it.

it serves a big purpose, very important. and contains lots of vital technical info.

windows is not the only relevant OS out there...........

please restore the sticky. i don't see how it detracts from this board by being there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:02am On Dec 13, 2013
maybe it's because we've been a little too quiet for a while, it's been almost 3 weeks since the last post till yours, I guess people don't have much to discuss these days
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:45am On Dec 13, 2013
^^^
Guess so as now, Ubuntu "just works". Gone are the days when you has to go black screen for the little of things!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 13, 2013
blackweaver: maybe it's because we've been a little too quiet for a while, it's been almost 3 weeks since the last post till yours, I guess people don't have much to discuss these days

4llerbuntu has become 4llerdroid

berra find your way back here - those tecno trolls will not let ashawooflagos get poster of the year in 2013 cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2013
oyb:

4llerbuntu has become 4llerdroid

berra find your way back here - those tecno trolls will not let ashawooflagos get poster of the year in 2013 cheesy

LMAO

gosh!! what a remix of my name............

take time o tongue tongue

leave those tecno boiz ooo. na dem be baba grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by captalex(m): 6:00pm On Dec 15, 2013
Does any of you run Linux(SuSe,Ubuntu) on a macbook pro, and what are you experiences and like.

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.