Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (129) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463958 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:58pm On Jun 01, 2015
mindtricks:

4ller, pardon my "noviceness", please how can one safely install linux ubuntu in windows 8 such that it does not affect windows negatively.

I learnt wubi wont work with windows 8.

I intend not to mess with system partitions unnecessarily, and want a situation where I can safely uninstall and reinstall ubuntu when I want.

Please advice.

hello. i'm sorry i thought i answered this yesterday, only just realized my answer didnt get posted.

well in linux forums we don't have silly or bad questions.......... u can ask anything. pls.

anyway, if u can't partition your only option is to use Virtualization.

install virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org

u can then use that to install ubuntu in a way thats perfectly harmless. i hope your PC has at least 4Gb of RAM by the way......

how to install, well try google. most links are at least 2 years old, but i don't think anything in the directions has changed much

u can view or download this youtube link www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJmahizwO4

you can also read this wikihow article for pointers. http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-on-VirtualBox

have fun.

if u have issues, do let us know

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by mindtricks: 9:00am On Jun 02, 2015
4llerbuntu:

hello. i'm sorry i thought i answered this yesterday, only just realized my answer didnt get posted.

well in linux forums we don't have silly or bad questions.......... u can ask anything. pls.

anyway, if u can't partition your only option is to use Virtualization.

install virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org

u can then use that to install ubuntu in a way thats perfectly harmless. i hope your PC has at least 4Gb of RAM by the way......

how to install, well try google. most links are at least 2 years old, but i don't think anything in the directions has changed much

u can view or download this youtube link www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJmahizwO4

you can also read this wikihow article for pointers. http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-on-VirtualBox

have fun.

if u have issues, do let us know

Many thanks for your timely response.

Talking about virtualbox itself, please, i hope it will not cause windows any issues. Just being careful, especially not to tamper with the recovery partition.

Please clarify. Thanks!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:50pm On Jun 03, 2015
mindtricks:

Many thanks for your timely response.

Talking about virtualbox itself, please, i hope it will not cause windows any issues. Just being careful, especially not to tamper with the recovery partition.

Please clarify. Thanks!

its just an application. it has nothing to do with your recovery partition

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 11:32pm On Jun 04, 2015
Does anyone know a good online school for learning linux at a relatively good price? I need this info urgently pls.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 11:20am On Jun 05, 2015
ptoall1000:
Does anyone know a good online school for learning linux at a relatively good price? I need this info urgently pls.

edx.org

just search for linux free courses..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 12:28pm On Jun 05, 2015
Thank you. I have registered.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 12:30pm On Jun 05, 2015
i installed LAMP on my Centos, but getting error that "The requested URL /info.php was not found on this server" when i tried to test php installation. Does anyone have clue to this problem?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 1:33pm On Jun 05, 2015
Problem solved. Thank you. I was supposed to put the file in html folder instead of www folder.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 7:18pm On Jun 05, 2015
Pls how do i transfer file from a windows pc to a linux pc using flash drive?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 9:59pm On Jun 06, 2015
Hi everyone. I just happened upon this new(?) program called nim; it has something to do with Nimrud (Nimrod?), a black king, who was trying to rule the entire world of his day. Has anyone tried it? I'm not saying that you should, but I know how much everyone likes open source. Here it is to look at, at least. What do you think of it?

http://nim-lang.org/

http://nim-lang.org/download.html
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:03am On Jun 07, 2015
ptoall1000:

The same way it is done anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by justi4jesu(f): 12:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
ptoall1000:

Put your flash and copy the files into the flash, then paste it on your linux pc, that shouldn't be difficult.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
4llerbuntu:

The same way it is done anywhere.

true kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Pebcak: 3:12pm On Jun 09, 2015
ptoall1000:

Try Linux Academy
https://linuxacademy.com/linux
Re: Ubuntu Linux by litaninja(m): 11:18am On Jun 11, 2015
Errr.....you cant really add the wireless adapter on the Host computer to the Vm per se. In this situation, you basically have 2 options.

1) You can use the virtual network manager to wire the VM to the host either inn the NAT or Direct to Physical network configurations. What this does is to either share the same IP as the host machine (NAT) or to get another IP from the physical network (direct connection via host wireless adapter)

2) Buy an external wireless card for independent connection of the VM. E.G. with a USB external wireless card, you can just select the option to connect the USB card directly to the VM, install drivers (if necessary) and have direct connectivity to the physical wireless network.

Option is usually simple and fast. Option 2 is usually if you have more specific / advanced needs to connect to the wireless network.

Cheers.

ptoall1000:
I just installed Ubuntu on vmware workstations but cant seem to find out how to add a wireless adapter so I can use WiFi on the linux. Any help? I already added two wired adapters.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by misteri: 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2015
Hi guys, how can I get my USB universal modem to work on on my Linux machine?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blaxx: 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2015
does any linux user here reside in ph?
we could do a study group.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:07am On Jul 06, 2015
misteri:
Hi guys, how can I get my USB universal modem to work on on my Linux machine?

do you know the what's the brand, model no of the modem?
I've found that ubuntu works with a lot of usb modems
Re: Ubuntu Linux by elknice: 1:20am On Jul 13, 2015
Advanced Information Security

Re: Ubuntu Linux by spartanian(m): 1:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
Am really glad with what you guys are doing here, I am Linux professional with less experience.
Will like to know about the job opportunities available for us in Nigeria, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by basille(m): 9:18pm On Jul 18, 2015
Hi guys. I heard that installing ubuntu via wubi leads to slight performance issues like slower disk performance and no hibernation (which i don't find really important). What if one creates a separate partition on windows and install ubuntu via wubi into that partition, any difference?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
basille:
Hi guys. I heard that installing ubuntu via wubi leads to slight performance issues like slower disk performance and no hibernation (which i don't find really important). What if one creates a separate partition on windows and install ubuntu via wubi into that partition, any difference?

Actually no.

But what version of Ubuntu are you trying to install with Wubi?

If I recall correctly It has been removed from the install CD for a while now and u have to download it separately.

I also believe it does not play well with Windows 8 and u need an old school bios bootloader.

Which means u need to have an older computer, running Windows 7 or lower to use Wubi successfully
Re: Ubuntu Linux by basille(m): 4:31pm On Jul 19, 2015
4llerbuntu:

Actually no.

But what version of Ubuntu are you trying to install with Wubi?

If I recall correctly It has been removed from the install CD for a while now and u have to download it separately.

I also believe it does not play well with Windows 8 and u need an old school bios bootloader.

Which means u need to have an older computer, running Windows 7 or lower to use Wubi successfully

Version 14.04. Wubi came with the iso.
Yes, i found out about Uefi bootloader the hard way.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 2:34am On Jul 20, 2015
basille:

wubi won't work with windows 8, no matter how you choose to partition it. if you can partition, i don't see why you sould be using wubi anyway. install it directly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
You know I'm starting to be of the view that FOR NEWBIES
if you have a PC with 8gb of Ram or more the best route to go is to virtualize either OS.

Personally I'd install Ubuntu alone on the drive and install Windows in a VM.

With seamless mode you wouldn't know the difference in a normal windows install.

Or even in a Windows PC with a decent video memory and Ram, just install Ubuntu in a VM.

Install all the addons and whatnot, then attach the network adapter, cards and USB ports directly to the VM.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:59pm On Jul 20, 2015
Meanwhile anecdotally, I have a really Old PC (Intel core2duo with 4gb DDR2 ram) I plunked under my TV at home and use for a HTPC. KODIBUNTU

An external drive is attached to it to store my videos.

After a while I decided to install full OS on it anyway(to download vids directly to the drive using tweaks)

I partitioned and installed windows 7

2 months later when I put on the PC and boot windows I can audibly hear the hard drive cranking and spinning. Random freezes and whatnot

When I boot into Ubuntu 14.04.( I installed unity desktop) the PC is super silent, even the fan rarely spins hard. And works smoothly.

And this is even with Unity desktop. Could have gone with Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

I think I should just install Windows XP or Windows 7 lite in a VM in Ubuntu and call it a day. If I continue booting windows I'm pretty sure either the drive or something else on that PC will give up the ghost soon.

Look sometimes this Linux thing is not mere hype. Ext4 Files stem is light years ahead of NTFS
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Leopantro: 4:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
4llerbuntu:
You know I'm starting to be of the view that FOR NEWBIES
if you have a PC with 8gb of Ram or more the best route to go is to virtualize either OS.

Personally I'd install Ubuntu alone on the drive and install Windows in a VM.

With seamless mode you wouldn't know the difference in a normal windows install.

Or even in a Windows PC with a decent video memory and Ram, just install Ubuntu in a VM.

Install all the addons and whatnot, then attach the network adapter, cards and USB ports directly to the VM.

A question.
Using YUMI, I installed Kali, pmagic, Android, Tails, ubuntu, xp, Windows 7 and 8.1 into a micro SD. Can run the XP as a LIVECD on any system. How can I install programs into LIVECD XP or ubuntu temporarily that would uninstall when I terminate the session?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:12pm On Jul 21, 2015
Leopantro:

A question.
Using YUMI, I installed Kali, pmagic, Android, Tails, ubuntu, xp, Windows 7 and 8.1 into a micro SD. Can run the XP as a LIVECD on any system. How can I install programs into LIVECD XP or ubuntu temporarily that would uninstall when I terminate the session?

I don't know about xp. Didn't even know u could run XP as a live cd. No small feat that......

. But if u didn't enable persistent storage partition for the USB stick then all your work will not be stored from any session.

Did u notice any such leftovers?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Leopantro: 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2015
4llerbuntu:

I don't know about xp. Didn't even know u could run XP as a live cd. No small feat that......

. But if u didn't enable persistent storage partition for the USB stick then all your work will not be stored from any session.

Did u notice any such leftovers?

Came across a site that utilized Winbulder to create an xp LIVECD, came with 55 inbuilt programs. He said installation of programs would be into the flash drive but will require a vdl file. Still trying to make it work.
Why am I doing this? No matter what windows 8 and 8.1 days about backwards compatibility, there are some applications that wouldn't work.

Thought of it when you wrote about the old PC that runs KODIUBUNTU. will add the YouTube video.

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.