Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463904 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by kukie(m): 6:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
spacyzuma:

I'll try this gecko media player.

The dvd is for interactive training. It's not regular video dvd , you can open individual films through Explorer.

Ya I get that, am just saying navigate to the folder in the directory tree where the video files are resident, and play them directly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kukie(m): 3:59pm On Nov 06, 2015
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone or group (would prefer a group) would be interested in free Linux Training (yes free, your only obligation would be to provide venue and cover cost of my transport to and from the venue). Training wont cover anything to deep or technical though, just an appreciation kinda stuff, daily personal computing issues so-to-say. Right now am in PH, so if you in PH and your interested hit me up.
louisakosa@gmail.com

Been using Linux for over 8years now, at work and as my primary OS on my systems.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by horrpeyemi: 8:01pm On Nov 06, 2015
kukie:
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone or group (would prefer a group) would be interested in free Linux Training (yes free, your only obligation would be to provide venue and cover cost of my transport to and from the venue). Training wont cover anything to deep or technical though, just an appreciation kinda stuff, daily personal computing issues so-to-say. Right now am in PH, so if you in PH and your interested hit me up.
louisakosa@gmail.com

Been using Linux for over 8years now, at work and as my primary OS on my systems.

Which type of linux did you use? Have been using Linux (kali linux) for 8 months now I must say it's very good have learnt a lot and I will like to learn more but am not living at PH
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kukie(m): 10:15pm On Nov 06, 2015
horrpeyemi:

Which type of linux did you use? Have been using Linux (kali linux) for 8 months now I must say it's very good have learnt a lot and I will like to learn more but am not living at PH

Played with most of the distros arch, Ubuntu, centOS opensuse linuxmint, debian and some pure Unix distros like solaris and freebsd. For my personal use now, I run mint, fedora and centOS. Am quite familiar with kali as well, it's a security and pentest distros based of Ubuntu and debian.
Don't know where u stay but I do travel alot, if anytime am in ur area would probably replicate same.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by horrpeyemi: 10:25pm On Nov 06, 2015
kukie:

Played with most of the distros arch, Ubuntu, centOS opensuse linuxmint, debian and some pure Unix distros like solaris and freebsd. For my personal use now, I run mint, fedora and centOS. Am quite familiar with kali as well, it's a security and pentest distros based of Ubuntu and debian.
Don't know where u stay but I do travel alot, if anytime am in ur area would probably replicate same.
I stayed in Kwara state it's way far from there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by omotogoodo(m): 6:22pm On Nov 07, 2015
Hi all. I download an Ubuntu iso image of about 600MB, I tried burning it to a disc but it kept prompting an error indicating the image file is bad. D appreciate if you could suggest where I can get a good image or installer.

Gracias.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by kukie(m): 8:36pm On Nov 07, 2015
omotogoodo:
Hi all. I download an Ubuntu iso image of about 600MB, I tried burning it to a disc but it kept prompting an error indicating the image file is bad. D appreciate if you could suggest where I can get a good image or installer.

Gracias.

ubuntu.com(link below) and ubuntu image is 1.3GB at least, not 600MB. You could also use torrents.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2015
has anyone tried 15.10 yet ? smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:36am On Nov 12, 2015
yes. updated to it. nothing wrong with it on my pc
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:03am On Nov 12, 2015
kukie:

ubuntu.com(link below) and ubuntu image is 1.3GB at least, not 600MB. You could also use torrents.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
That 1.3 GB should be for 64-bit system and the 600 MB for 32-bit architecture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:39pm On Nov 12, 2015
all4naija:

That 1.3 GB should be for 64-bit system and the 600 MB for 32-bit architecture.

Actually, going by that link, the 32-bit is about 1 gb, the ~600 mb is for the server version
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 8:52pm On Nov 16, 2015
Okay, I wish I can get a 'home-made' response here. I didn't know Nigerians use Linux this much, I have always thought few exist in that ecosystem.

I am hoping to try some new stuffs out, tech/Linux related. I made a search on google on how to host a web server on ones personal desktop machine and I got a lot of tutorials with different explanations. Most of them suggest to have Lamp Server installed and make some few configurations to get apache and other necessary things working which I understand to an extent. When it got to the stage of Dynamic IP/ Dynamic Server, I got a little bit confused. I learnt ISPs dynamically change the IP address assigned to a subscriber (that is what I understand and I am not really sure). A suggestion as a work around is to have a DNS name registered that points to that IP and automatically redirects to my server should in case the IP gets dynamically changed.

Now, what I am actually confused about is, from what I have read so far, I have been made to understand that my machine has its local IP address, and if the IP address is typed into a browser from another device with the device on the same LAN as mine, the browser should show my index.php or index.html page hosted on my machine through apache (and from there, other subsequent pages can be accessed). A part of the tutorial I read also made mention of a public IP address which is that provided by my ISP and if I wish that anyone that isn't on my LAN to access my server, the person would need to point that IP and would get the result as in the first case (assuming the IP is static and not dynamic).

The question I have now is, the ISPs in Nigeria, do they assign a static IP address to a subscriber or a dynamic IP address. In case it is dynamic, If I wish to know this dynamic IP address and have it linked with a DNS name, how do I get to know it?? I learnt I can get to know it by searching whatismyIP on google but I need answers from my Nigerian brothers that know how things operate here. Another thing is, I know web servers use internet that is available 24/7, which means it is only when I am connected to the internet that any one gets to access my server (or literally, my pages), is it possible to do this whole kind of thing using a modem (Most of the tutorials I saw were router based)??

Last question, how do I get to know my local machine's IP address?? I know of ifconfig already, but I need alternatives.

Yes, I remember! Another thing, the most confusing part of all, port forwarding and firewall, I do not understand this part at all. The whole apache might not get accessed through port 80 because of one freaking firewall, and you probably would need to edit apache config file, I do not understand that part at all.

PS:
If you feel as confused as I am by my write up or you think I don't really know what I am saying, just refer me or make a tutorial that is very noob friendly that I can follow which would make me achieve my aim, which is setting up a webserver on my personal computer.

PPS:
I am currently running Ubuntu 15.10 and I use a MTN Modem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by litaninja(m): 6:06am On Nov 17, 2015
Hmmm...depends on what you're tying to achieve. Say you just need you and maybe a few friends / colleagues to access the webserver on your computer and you have a typical home grade modem (which most isps assign a dynamic IP), you can try using a dynamic DNS service like dyndns. This will have u allocate a name and tie it to your dynamic IP as it is changed or reassigned by the ISP. That way, when you need to access the server you use that domain name. You may need to configure port forwarding as well (how to varies depending on the modem and the os or services you're running). The port forwarding will allow you access different services on different ports on the same computer using the same dynamic DNS service name.

On the other hand, of you'll be offering professional grade service to people... Say the general public, say a cloud storage solution, the you're probably better off, getting a business grade connectivity from an ISP. This will give you a static public IP address that's web addressable. Also this should give you dedicated bandwidth that will be more reliable than the shared/burstable one the home users or customers get.
With this kind of pro grade connectivity , you'll probabaly want to get a router / firewall and a better configuration / more secure configuration for your server / services. Again how u do that will vary slightly by platform / hardware / is / e.t.c
But the general concepts are the same.
cheers...

Chrylich:
Okay, I wish I can get a 'home-made' response here. I didn't know Nigerians use Linux this much, I have always thought few exist in that ecosystem.

I am hoping to try some new stuffs out, tech/Linux related. I made a search on google on how to host a web server on ones personal desktop machine and I got a lot of tutorials with different explanations. Most of them suggest to have Lamp Server installed and make some few configurations to get apache and other necessary things working which I understand to an extent. When it got to the stage of Dynamic IP/ Dynamic Server, I got a little bit confused. I learnt ISPs dynamically change the IP address assigned to a subscriber (that is what I understand and I am not really sure). A suggestion as a work around is to have a DNS name registered that points to that IP and automatically redirects to my server should in case the IP gets dynamically changed.

Now, what I am actually confused about is, from what I have read so far, I have been made to understand that my machine has its local IP address, and if the IP address is typed into a browser from another device with the device on the same LAN as mine, the browser should show my index.php or index.html page hosted on my machine through apache (and from there, other subsequent pages can be accessed). A part of the tutorial I read also made mention of a public IP address which is that provided by my ISP and if I wish that anyone that isn't on my LAN to access my server, the person would need to point that IP and would get the result as in the first case (assuming the IP is static and not dynamic).

The question I have now is, the ISPs in Nigeria, do they assign a static IP address to a subscriber or a dynamic IP address. In case it is dynamic, If I wish to know this dynamic IP address and have it linked with a DNS name, how do I get to know it?? I learnt I can get to know it by searching whatismyIP on google but I need answers from my Nigerian brothers that know how things operate here. Another thing is, I know web servers use internet that is available 24/7, which means it is only when I am connected to the internet that any one gets to access my server (or literally, my pages), is it possible to do this whole kind of thing using a modem (Most of the tutorials I saw were router based)??

Last question, how do I get to know my local machine's IP address?? I know of ifconfig already, but I need alternatives.

Yes, I remember! Another thing, the most confusing part of all, port forwarding and firewall, I do not understand this part at all. The whole apache might not get accessed through port 80 because of one freaking firewall, and you probably would need to edit apache config file, I do not understand that part at all.

PS:
If you feel as confused as I am by my write up or you think I don't really know what I am saying, just refer me or make a tutorial that is very noob friendly that I can follow which would make me achieve my aim, which is setting up a webserver on my personal computer.

PPS:
I am currently running Ubuntu 15.10 and I use a MTN Modem.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 11:12am On Nov 17, 2015
litaninja:
Hmmm...depends on what you're tying to achieve. Say you just need you and maybe a few friends / colleagues to access the webserver on your computer and you have a typical home grade modem (which most isps assign a dynamic IP), you can try using a dynamic DNS service like dyndns. This will have u allocate a name and tie it to your dynamic IP as it is changed or reassigned by the ISP. That way, when you need to access the server you use that domain name. You may need to configure port forwarding as well (how to varies depending on the modem and the os or services you're running). The port forwarding will allow you access different services on different ports on the same computer using the same dynamic DNS service name.

On the other hand, of you'll be offering professional grade service to people... Say the general public, say a cloud storage solution, the you're probably better off, getting a business grade connectivity from an ISP. This will give you a static public IP address that's web addressable. Also this should give you dedicated bandwidth that will be more reliable than the shared/burstable one the home users or customers get.
With this kind of pro grade connectivity , you'll probabaly want to get a router / firewall and a better configuration / more secure configuration for your server / services. Again how u do that will vary slightly by platform / hardware / is / e.t.c
But the general concepts are the same.
cheers...

Thanks a lot.. I actually just want a mini server, like I'm just trying to learn the basics of hosting though it or let me just say I'm just playing around.. But I really wanna do it. I have read about the dyndns on one of those tutorials and I think I should be able to follow through to that stage.. From what you have said now, I might have issues with the port forwarding depending on OS and the modem, I run Ubuntu OS (15.10) and I use a MTN Modem.. The question now is, will I need to go through that port forwarding stage? If yes, how do I go about it?? Can you be elaborate this part pls:

The port forwarding will allow you access different services on different ports on the same computer using the same dynamic DNS service name.

It seems I'm not understanding it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:18pm On Nov 17, 2015
pls do not try to run a server with internet from a 3G USB Modem.

Its too slow, its unreliable, and not suitable for that type of thing.

besides, you can't forward ports arbitrarily through that type of connection.

secondly, if you want to run a server, its better to be a machine dedicated as a server and not your daily driver laptop/PC.

port forwarding simply means that various services utilize various ports on your system.

i.e. ftp port - usually Port 21
http port - usually 80, 8080

this can be set to anything between the acceptable range.

Access to this port means access to the PC/Server and ability to carry out extensive tasks. For instance access to your FTP port means i can remotely access the file system on the server and do whatever i like with it.

For this reason the ports are all closed by default by the firewall.

Port forwarding allows you to open just one or two ports to be accessible remotely via the internet and other devices
which means that you can carry out certain limited tasks remotely without having to access the ports which can directly compromise your PC

an example is to allow you upload files remotely through port 8080 (http) which you ordinarily would have to do via FTP.

Port Forwarding via your USB Modem connection is likely to be difficult/impossible depending on which side of the bed MTN wakes up
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:21pm On Nov 17, 2015

secondly, if you want to run a server, its better to be a machine dedicated as a server and not your daily driver laptop/PC.

port forwarding :

system services utilize various ports on your system.

i.e. ftp (File Transfer Protocol) - usually Port 21

Access to this port means access to the PC/Server and ability to carry out extensive tasks. For instance access to your FTP port means i can remotely access the file system on the server and do whatever i like with it.

Port forwarding allows you to open just one or two ports to be accessible remotely via the internet and other devices
which means that you can carry out certain limited tasks remotely without having to access the ports which can directly compromise your PC

an example is to allow you upload files remotely through port 8080 (http) which you ordinarily would have to do via FTP.

Port Forwarding via your USB Modem connection is likely to be difficult/impossible depending on which side of the bed MTN wakes up
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 9:13pm On Nov 17, 2015
4llerbuntu:

port forwarding :

system services utilize various ports on your system.

i.e. ftp (File Transfer Protocol) - usually Port 21

Okay, thanks.. I probably should just give up now...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by iamlammy(m): 4:45pm On Nov 20, 2015
Guys...m a newbie to linux...jst installed linux 15.10 on my pc...m dual booting with windows 10...is there anything i need to know please?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 12:44am On Nov 25, 2015
SOMEONE PLEASE QUOTE ME ON THE STEP BY STEP INSTALLATION OF UBUNTU USING GPARTED

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 9:34am On Nov 26, 2015
dabigjoe6:
SOMEONE PLEASE QUOTE ME ON THE STEP BY STEP INSTALLATION OF UBUNTU USING GPARTED

There's literally a million of these in Web pages. There's a couple on this thread as well
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2015
ciphoenix:

There's literally a million of these in Web pages. There's a couple on this thread as well
the last time I tried what I got from web pages I almost bricked my computer that's why am I am asking for the best method here
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blaxx: 2:16am On Dec 18, 2015
kukie:
Hi Guys,
louisakosa@gmail.com

are you still in Ph?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 8:58am On Dec 22, 2015
I just don't understand why people keep talking about dual boot when there are free virtual machines out there. And for those having problems with dual booting, just know that if your machine's firmware is UEFI, probably preinstalled with legacy OS, u can as well forget about successful dual booting, thanks to the Microsoft jealousy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by spacyzuma(m): 9:15am On Dec 22, 2015
Barywhyte:
I just don't understand why people keep talking about dual boot when there are free virtual machines out there. And for those having problems with dual booting, just know that if your machine's firmware is UEFI, probably preinstalled with legacy OS, u can as well forget about successful dual booting, thanks to the Microsoft jealousy

I've been told several times to focus on VMs, but I've never done so. I've always enjoyed tinkering with multi-booting and partitioning, despite all the stress and mistakes.

Ok, what VMs would you recommend as the best for running Linux variants on Windows 7/8.1?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 9:31am On Dec 22, 2015
spacyzuma:

I've been told several times to focus on VMs, but I've never done so. I've always enjoyed tinkering with multi-booting and partitioning, despite all the stress and mistakes.

Ok, what VMs would you recommend as the best for running Linux variants on Windows 7/8.1?

Partitioning is even easier now especially with standard partitions or LVMs. I suggest you go for vmware. But if you are the type with appetite for problematic issues , virtualbox is the way.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:44am On Dec 22, 2015
Barywhyte:

I will give you one reason why dual boot rather than use vms: performance, shared resources. Especially if your hardware is not that powerful. Imagine using a vm on a celeron processor or atom, or if you have limited ram. Not everyone can afford the latest/most powerful hardware. Does that mean the person has to suffer horrible performance because he wants to try out a new os?

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 10:24am On Dec 22, 2015
blackweaver:

I will give you one reason why dual boot rather than use vms: performance, shared resources. Especially if your hardware is not that powerful. Imagine using a vm on a celeron processor or atom, or if you have limited ram. Not everyone can afford the latest/most powerful hardware. Does that mean the person has to suffer horrible performance because he wants to try out a new os?

Compare to the advantage of havin access to several hardwares/OSs at the same time? And by the way, how much is this hardware you are talking? Of what use is celeron processor to windows 8 or windows 10? Except you are using Linux where hardware is not a big issue. (excluding redhat)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:27am On Dec 22, 2015
Barywhyte:

Compare to the advantage of havin access to several hardwares/OSs at the same time? And by the way, how much is this hardware you are talking? Of what use is celeron processor to windows 8 or windows 10? Except you are using Linux where hardware is not a big issue. (excluding redhat)

Yeah, but what if the system came with win8 pre-installed? should the person just forfeit his license?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 12:22pm On Dec 22, 2015
blackweaver:

Yeah, but what if the system came with win8 pre-installed? should the person just forfeit his license?

A system with windows8 preinstalled is a good hardware with capability for virtualization. U can't lose ur license that way. Hardware are cheap these days.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by austino677(m): 5:01am On Dec 23, 2015
Am just having hard time booting manjaro os on unetbootin....error 15 file not found..but if i go back to main menu selecting start it will boot up..at times kernel will fail..but in linux mint i don't face such....no error 15 am running them thru my hard disk no pen drive or cd..dunni if someone can help out

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.