Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464273 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 12:25am On Sep 04, 2010
@4llerbuntu your comments are now visible on the site n future comments should also be visible right away!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 4:35pm On Sep 07, 2010
where is everybody? this thread has been inactive for two whole days! that's unusual
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:47pm On Sep 08, 2010
^^^^ dude, we dey na. in my case i guess im becoming so mush of a guguru that i no longer need to disturb the thread for my daily ish!!

till now that is.

Pls i need help from my geeky geeks!!

i put Linux Mint 9 in all its greeness on a partition @ work and it worked fine. . . . . till today when i found after the splash screen it goes blank and stays blank!!

i havent installed the drivers for the ATI graphics in it so im guessing thats whats up. need to do sumtin else i format, which i really dont wanna

i think the ish started cos i messed with the startup manager thingy and changed grub resolution. other than that i cant think of a reason why its acting up cos it worked fine for like 3 days

helep me o nna!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 8:21am On Sep 09, 2010
I think you need to install anew then make a backup disk for restore.

What are the differences between Isadora & the Primary Ubuntu?

I've never used any Mint product before.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2010
the only difference is they changed the menu, looks and also some of the default programs. finish.

its pure vanilla ubuntu but with sound and video codecs and the medibuntu repos enabled.

yeah i already did a new install and this time i pulled the drivers for vga first!! grin grin grin

to other news, there is now a sure fire way to read ext4 partitions from windows.
sourceforge project called EXT2READ grab ur copy at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

for all you with windows crutches
Re: Ubuntu Linux by stancozy(m): 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2010
@4ller buntu and lynx, sorry for my inconsistency on this thread, but ama tryana be . . .4ller when ur on y!m, just buzz me, want to get something from u,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2010
@4llerbuntu
I think it might have something to do with changing the resolution of grub. when i changed d resolution of BURG (an enhanced version of GRUB which i presently use), my ubuntu plymount theme started looking ugly. well, actually, it started looking ugly after i replaced the useless noveau nvidia 2D driver that came with ubuntu with the proprietary one but i used a hack to get it looking beautiful again n then BURG took it back to its ugly status so i just didnt bother anymore. by ugly i mean the font is larger and the image is not as sharp plus the smooth transition to GDM doesnt happen anymore. so that could have something to do with the problem with ur linuxmint sha (provided it uses pylmouth n not usplash).

nice to see we are all gurus n don't need to ask too many questions. i think its about time we introduce a new recruit to dis thread so we can have someone asking d questions cheesy.

@misaac sorry oh. i neva forget (well i bin don forget but now i don remember). i will try to write that tutorial soonest!.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:45am On Sep 11, 2010
yup it uses plymouth. wonder why, dont see any improvement over usplash!!

@ stancozy, ok i will use ebuddy on the web page, will be online till like 2 pm, i gotta watch footie o!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 2:04pm On Sep 11, 2010
in a fit of shameless self promotion, i wanna introduce y'all to my blog. http://blog.muyiscoi.com. Don't worry guys. whatever i post there that is useful for ubuntu users will also end up on http://ubuntunigeria.. I'll try to update it once in a while but don't expect me to be as devoted as dis guy www.artwales.biz. smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:28pm On Sep 12, 2010
where all una dey o.

i downloaded a mp3 and i tried to add it to my library, and since then banshee and rhythmbox have been crashing religiously
i deleted the mp3, which though worked fine in vlc and xbmc and have also tried purging both banshee and rhythmbox and re-instaling but to no avail

this my terminal log

( the other side of his Atlantic with his )
( verb in his mouth. )
( )
( -- Mark Twain "A Connecticut Yankee in )
( King Arthur's Court" )
-----------------------------------------
o
o \_\_ _/_/
o \__/
(oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||
fola@fola-mint ~ $ banshee
[Info 16:24:45.576] Running Banshee 1.6.1: [Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (linux-gnu, i486) @ 2010-06-18 09:51:55 UTC]
[Info 16:24:57.046] All services are started 8.584549
[Warn 16:25:00.244] Forcefully breaking out of RCS loop b/c change in total_width less than 1.0
[Info 16:25:00.553] nereid Client Started
[Warn 16:25:02.542] Caught an exception - System.Exception: org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchProperty: No property volume.is_mounted on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_floppy_0_storage_platform_floppy (in `NDesk.DBus.Proxies')
at Hal.IDeviceProxy.GetPropertyBoolean (System.String ) [0x00000]
at Hal.Device.GetPropertyBoolean (System.String key) [0x00000]
at Banshee.HalBackend.Volume.get_IsMounted () [0x00000]
at Banshee.HalBackend.Volume.CheckVolumeMounted (Banshee.HalBackend.Volume volume) [0x00000]
at Banshee.HalBackend.Volume.Resolve (Banshee.HalBackend.BlockDevice parent, Hal.Manager manager, Hal.Device device) [0x00000]
[Info 16:25:04.687] Unable to bind DAAP Proxy to port 8089
Exception in Gtk# callback delegate
Note: Applications can use GLib.ExceptionManager.UnhandledException to handle the exception.
Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteException: Sqlite error
cannot start a transaction within a transaction
at Mono.Data.Sqlite.Sqlite3.Reset (Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteStatement stmt) [0x00000]
at Mono.Data.Sqlite.Sqlite3.Step (Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteStatement stmt) [0x00000]
at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery () [0x00000]
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand:ExecuteNonQuery ()
at Hyena.Data.Sqlite.HyenaSqliteCommand.Execute (Hyena.Data.Sqlite.HyenaSqliteConnection hconnection, Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteConnection connection) [0x00000]
at GLib.ExceptionManager.RaiseUnhandledException(System.Exception e, Boolean is_terminal)
at Gtk.Widget.buttonpressevent_cb(IntPtr widget, IntPtr evnt)
at Gtk.Application.gtk_main()
at Gtk.Application.Run()
at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient.Run()
at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient.Startup()
at Hyena.Gui.CleanRoomStartup.Startup(Hyena.Gui.StartupInvocationHandler startup)
at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient.Startup()
at Banshee.Gui.GtkBaseClient.Startup(System.String[] args)
at Nereid.Client.Main(System.String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(System.Reflection.Assembly , System.String[] )
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssemblyInternal(System.Reflection.Assembly a, System.String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(System.String assemblyFile, System.Security.Policy.Evidence assemblySecurity, System.String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(System.String assemblyFile)
at Booter.Booter.BootClient(System.String clientName)
at Booter.Booter.Main()
fola@fola-mint ~ $
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 8:49pm On Sep 12, 2010
infortunately, i see nothing dat gives me a clue as to wat could have gone wrong. maybe u shld post d console output when u try launching rhythmbox. that might be easier to follow.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:02pm On Sep 12, 2010
unfortunately rhythmbox wont even give any output. its been greyed out and static for the past 15 minutes.

maybe i have to download songbird jare. i dunno which kind of craziness this is
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:23pm On Sep 12, 2010
RHYTHMBOX!!! i don't like that media player for anything, usually when i install a linux distro once i get my internet up the fierst 2 audio players i install are xmms or audacious (which support winamp classic skins) and exaile (i seldom even use amarok on kde-based distros)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 12, 2010
PLS guys i need ur help.

ive never used ubuntu before so im a total ignoramus on the subject, but i recently installed it along side my windows partition. every time i try to start up it just loads up to the user name page(dats the page u type ur password for login) and then goes on hold, the mouse doesnt move, no keyboard keys respond at all. This has been going on for a while now and im being forced to use the windows 7 on my system. Once a while it doesnt give this problem but 9tymes out of 10 it does.

any ideas how il resolve this issue cos its driving me nutssss!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 12:58am On Sep 13, 2010
4llerbuntu:

unfortunately rhythmbox wont even give any output. its been greyed out and static for the past 15 minutes.

maybe i have to download songbird jare. i dunno which kind of craziness this is

Uninstall those apps from Synaptic Package Manager. Make sure you remove any related plug-ins.

Restart then update the OS.

Go and reinstall

Update again

Long process hei?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 5:35pm On Sep 13, 2010
Oyaletor:

PLS guys i need your help.

ive never used ubuntu before so im a total ignoramus on the subject, but i recently installed it along side my windows partition. every time i try to start up it just loads up to the user name page(dats the page u type your password for login) and then goes on hold, the mouse doesnt move, no keyboard keys respond at all. This has been going on for a while now and im being forced to use the windows 7 on my system. Once a while it doesnt give this problem but 9tymes out of 10 it does.

any ideas how il resolve this issue cos its driving me nutssss!!!!

my prayers have been answered hehehe!!

@Oyaletor no mind me jare. You're welcome to d land of Ubuntu n dis thread.

You're information is not complete though. you didnt tell us what kind of system ur using (desktop or laptop, if laptop, model and make). many things could be causing your problem and knowing the kind of system youre using will help us narrow it down. also, did d problem start after installation or did it start later on, maybe after an update? also, did u do d installation yourself or did someone do it 4 u?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 14, 2010
@muyiscoii
thanks for offering to help,

i use a laptop. Compaq cq50 with windows 7 installed.
320 HDD, 3GB RAM, 2.20 GHZ processor
AMD Turion Dual core Mobile
64-BIT operating system.

i ordered for the cd via their website,d cd arrived and i carried out installation my self. wen i put the cd it took ages to start so finally i installed. It didnt complete installation so i had to reformat the whole system before it finally installed well.

wen i tried starting up from grub it went to the login page and everything came to a still. NO MOUSE MOVED, NO KEYBOARD BUTTONS RESPONDED,

after several rebooting it came up and everything was fine. later same day it happed again and the whole system came to another stand still.

it just tends to come on anytime it pleases and its acting like a BOSS of its own, datz wat annoys me the most.

il be very happy if i have my laptop back from this sweet demon called ubuntu. 10ks alot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoii: 11:41pm On Sep 14, 2010
seems like ur laptop doesnt play well with ubuntu. i found a couple of threads on ubuntuforums with people posting several problems encountered with your laptop dating back to ubuntu 8.04 (april 2008). however, since nobody had exactly the same problems you encountered, i am inclined to believe that it had something to do with the installation you did. I would have asked you to verify the integrity of the CD but since it was sent from Ubuntu, i will assume that it is not faulty. therefore, something might have gone wrong during installation. Try booting the livecd and instead of clicking on the "install ubuntu" option, click on the "try ubuntu" (or similar) option. boot into the full os from the CD first and confirm that it is usable, then install it by clicking on the install icon on the desktop. If after reinstalling, the problem still persists, then, other measures will be considered. Also, don't forget to set a swap partition when installing. it is ideal to set X2 of your RAM size for swap (in your case, 6GB) but the equivalent RAM size is adequate. (thats what i use). let us know of "symptoms persist" after reinstallation.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:23am On Sep 20, 2010
ah pls this thread just seems to slip out these days
PLS OYB IF U READ THIS, PLS STICKY UP THIS THREAD ON THE FRONT PAGE!! PLS cry cry cry

@ the newbies around here, u guys are welcome. its the tradition to help the new users through the first rough months till the achieve semi-guru status grin grin grin grin so pls feel free to put up issues here, am sure u will find out that responses are faster here than even ubuntuforums, plus u get explanations in a naija way grin grin grin

i could'nt have survived using ubuntu if not for this thread anyway tongue tongue tongue

@ all, i cant seem to be able to find time to write up articles for the blog o, kai its not easy these days. will see sha. hopefully, looking at squeezing time this week.

had some fun with NTLM AUTH this weekend, should make for good trivial read, even if its not important for anyone except in exceptional circumstances
Re: Ubuntu Linux by misaac: 12:13pm On Sep 21, 2010
I want to contribute some posts to ubuntu nigeria. wats the procedure?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2010
@gurus, Please i need your assistance i am new to the world of Unix, Just Installed Unbuntu 10.04 downloaded from the official ubuntu site, please i need help on applications, themes and pimping up the OS in general as i have seen i older posts.
The only thing i have been able to do is connecting it to the NET with my Nokia E71.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:24pm On Sep 21, 2010
the repos is ur place to start.
95 % of the stuff u will need for ur install u will get from the repositories. the remaining five % usually u will just have to add new repositories to the apt sources and then install via synaptic.

its a bit different from windows in that here u get ur softwares from central repos which are vetted and secured unlike windows where u keep downloading .exe's from everywhere and installing. it also comes with the added advantage that ur apps get updated automagically, unlike windows where u chase ur updates urself.

do u have a copy of ubuntu manual? its basic info for starting out, and helps u understand ur new system visit ubuntu-manual.org for a pdf copy

also visit ubuntuguide.org for a comprehensive webpage of features and programs u may want to get installed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:56pm On Sep 21, 2010
gentlemen, need an indexing service o. like windows does with the taskbar

i have a large library of docs and often need to search for sumtin at times with words inside docs and not the names of the docs themselves
this gnomeDO does not fulfill my need.

what options do i have?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 9:58pm On Sep 21, 2010
4llerbuntu:

the repos is your place to start.
95 % of the stuff u will need for your install u will get from the repositories. the remaining five % usually u will just have to add new repositories to the apt sources and then install via synaptic.

its a bit different from windows in that here u get your softwares from central repos which are vetted and secured unlike windows where u keep downloading .exe's from everywhere and installing. it also comes with the added advantage that your apps get updated automagically, unlike windows where u chase your updates urself.

do u have a copy of ubuntu manual? its basic info for starting out, and helps u understand your new system visit ubuntu-manual.org for a pdf copy

also visit ubuntuguide.org for a comprehensive webpage of features and programs u may want to get installed
Thanks 4llerbuntu the download remains 1minute 12seconds to complete as soos as i am done i dey go read am nii straight, would get back to you as soon as i am done.
Thanx a million man
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 4:38pm On Sep 23, 2010
Seems my posting privileges have now been restored.

misaac:

I want to contribute some posts to ubuntu nigeria. wats the procedure?

sorry for the delayed response. To post on ubuntunigeria, create an account on , then send bigbrovar a mail with your username on bigbrovar {at} gmail {dot) com and he will setup an admin account for you with posting privileges.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 4:52pm On Sep 23, 2010
4llerbuntu:

gentlemen, need an indexing service o. like windows does with the taskbar

i have a large library of docs and often need to search for sumtin at times with words inside docs and not the names of the docs themselves
this gnomeDO does not fulfill my need.

what options do i have?

one word. tracker. links? i don't have any. It used to be on ubuntu but they removed it. It is part of stock gnome and there must be an easy way to install it , maybe from software center. It indexes whatever u tell it to , right down to the contents of word docs, pdf's and other text files. It is quite powerful. However, i do recall that it is a resource hog. If you tell it to index ur whole HD, it will suck your system down with it , or at least try to. so use with caution. Of course, this might not be the case anymore since i havnt used it for quite a liong time but that was my experience with it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:21pm On Sep 23, 2010
thanks will try it, i found it in the repos
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Obeledu: 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2010
Gents,

I tried to use Google map but is saying that Adobe flash 10.1 is needed to view the page.

I added "Adobe-flashplugins" on the synaptic package manager and was successfully installed but not working.

Please anybody know how to install flash 10.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:27am On Sep 26, 2010
uninstall flash totally in synaptic. reboot

then open up synaptic again, this time choose the proprietary plugin, NOTE NOT THE INSTALLER, JUST ADOBE FLASH.

the entries are different in synaptic,then install. then tell me how it goes, cos maybe u may need to do a symlink. usually u dont

the installer thingy is just a mess
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Obeledu: 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2010
^^^^
Please I dont seems to understand what you are saying, just confirm to me if this is what you meant.

1:Uninstall flash
2:Reboot
3:On the synaptic mamager check "Adobe-flash"
4:Install
If these are correct, then the problem is that Adobe-Flash is not listed on the synaptic manager. Forgive me if i am unable to decode your post properly
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:30pm On Sep 27, 2010
just type flash, forget the adobe part you will see the various packages with flash
select the proprietary one, its about 11 mb in size

grin grin grin grin grin grin

then make sure you [b]dont [/b]select the flashplugin-installer one.

then install.

NB: here there are no foolish questions o, only foolish answers from mumu users!!! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.