Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World (7554 Views)

U.S. Embassy Warns Of Possible 'Terrorism' Attacks In Nigeria - Reuters / Emeka Offor Signs $10 Million To Carter Center For SE/SS Projects / 615 Terrorist killed In Both Air And Ground Attacks In Sambista Forest - Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by PaulJohn1: 10:49pm On Jan 04, 2013
Published: Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
PORT HARCOURT, Nigeria, Jan. 4 (UPI) -- Nigeria has emerged as a new center for piracy, with the number of attacks steadily increasing despite the government's naval assets, authorities say.

In December 2012 alone, gunmen attacked three commercial vessels within six days, ransacking the ships and taking a total of nine crew members hostage, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

In 2012, there were 27 attacks off Nigeria's coast, said the International maritime Bureau. In 2011, there were 10 incidents of piracy and in 2010, 19.

Comparison can be made to Somalia, on the other side of the continent. But piracy dropped by two-thirds in Somalia last year, and Nigeria has, for Africa, impressive naval resources: warships, a frigate, a number of surveillance drones and 200 naval troops trained by the U.S. navy, as well as a 378-foot Coast Guard cutter.

However, the country has been stymied in the use of those resources. The naval troops are pulling duty land-side, helping to fight terrorists in the desert north. Much of the rest of the equipment has been idled in various states of disrepair or a lack of funding sucked away by corruption.

Shipping lines that hire Nigerian sailors complain they are not adequately trained. And there is the immensity of the task -- Nigeria sits along the 2,100-mile-long coast of the Gulf of Guinea, and pirates have attacked as far as four countries and 400 miles away.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/01/04/Nigeria-seen-as-new-center-of-piracy/UPI-43551357328091/?spt=hs&or=tn
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by lovetterrison(m): 9:54am On Jan 05, 2013
1st
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by PrinceNN(m): 9:55am On Jan 05, 2013
nth
thank God this has nothing to do with the internet....*continues illegal downloads* cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 05, 2013
Ah Phew, First thing that came to my mind was "The Pirate Bay".

Oh well, carry on. . . More strength to the Naval Men.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 05, 2013
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by cockyjay: 9:55am On Jan 05, 2013
Hmm nawa o.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 05, 2013
Nigeria is being compared to Somalia. Who woulda thought the day would come?
On another note, Aljazeera reports that the Mayan prophecy has been mistaken. The Mayans prophesied that SimonAndal is number 7! Nooooo!!
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 05, 2013
lovetterrison: 1st

You are a fool,A very big fool!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by PrinceNN(m): 9:59am On Jan 05, 2013
HQ: Ah Phew, First thing that came to my mind was "The Pirate Bay".

Oh well, carry on. . .

lool true...tot they were bout to pass some censorship bill or shi.t
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Bolt2011(m): 10:01am On Jan 05, 2013
I'm sure these pirates are not Nigerians but they will always try to associate such things to Naija
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by DJDOLA(m): 10:02am On Jan 05, 2013
Na today them no say naija no dey carry last
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by warrior101: 10:02am On Jan 05, 2013
SimonAndal: Nigeria is being compared to Somalia. Who woulda thought the day would come?
On another note, Aljazeera reports that the Mayan prophecy has been mistaken. The Mayans prophesied that SimonAndal is number 7! Nooooo!!

Whatever ~
Moreover, i think Ifa is more accurate... If they want a better forecast of events to come, then the right place to search is Nigeria, Africa undecided
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by redcliff: 10:05am On Jan 05, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:
nth
thank God this has nothing to do with the internet....*continues illegal downloads* cheesy

Omo this your username u always have to copy and paste it otherwise you no go fit login.lol.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by diji04(m): 10:06am On Jan 05, 2013
[b][/b] naija dey soup o,nawao first niger delta militant then boko haram,now pirate.God this country wil nt end dis year.God help us as we sail through our chellenges.Amen.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by klkl: 10:06am On Jan 05, 2013
Rolly83:

That does not warrant an abusive words bro

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 05, 2013
Why is bad news always coming out from SE,SS and the North ? The other day SE was on CNN for kidnapping thanks to Osisikanku,The North is synonymous with terrorism and religious fundamentalism thanks to Boko haram and now,Niger delta becomes a hot spot for Piracy.When you tell them the truth,they will call you tribalist or ban you.Truth is bitter but it must be told.nonsense

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by bignero: 10:06am On Jan 05, 2013
Rolly83:

y the venom na?

youve not displayed wisdom either

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by donfatosa(m): 10:08am On Jan 05, 2013
I think the western media derive pleasure in tarnishing Nigeria image, comparing Nigeria and Somalia in terms of piracy is not just stupid, it shows that they just want to destroy the image of Nigeria. Nigerian Navy, pls take note.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by victorD3: 10:09am On Jan 05, 2013
Rolly83:

A fool will readily spot another fool

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by ogayor: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2013
We reject this IJN, it is not our portion. every spirit of piracy, die, die, die,dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2013
i thought school have resume for you small boys.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by deckk: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2013
diz r d type of newz associated with ma country,hmmm,no hope.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by victorD3: 10:14am On Jan 05, 2013
Pirates ke Buccaneers ni!
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by PrinceNN(m): 10:14am On Jan 05, 2013
redcliff:

Omo this your username u always have to copy and paste it otherwise you no go fit login.lol.

lool true but i hav a shortened url i can input on any device that automatically sends the POST data and logs me in
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 05, 2013
Pig brain,some of you won't just learn, what's it with the first to comment of a thing,pls stay with ur twitter & facebook..
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 05, 2013
donfatosa: I think the western media derive pleasure in tarnishing Nigeria image, comparing Nigeria and Somalia in terms of piracy is not just stupid, it shows that they just want to destroy the image of Nigeria. Nigerian Navy, pls take note.

Stop defending the indefensible.The west won't have anything to write if we put our house in order.
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Rexphobia(m): 10:17am On Jan 05, 2013
Hian...I no believe
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 05, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by babarazy: 10:21am On Jan 05, 2013
Rolly83:

wetin be ur own there? Na ur hand e dey use to type?
Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by lovetterrison(m): 10:21am On Jan 05, 2013
Rolly83:

silence is the best ,,,,for an ignorant f===k..retard educated illetrate

Re: Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World by Truckpusher(m): 10:24am On Jan 05, 2013
An ugly scenario is beginning to unfold again in the gulf of guinea with port Harcourt , bayelsa, calabar, Lagos and all the small coastal countries like Ghana even cameroun as the staging ground , but our reactive govt will sit back and watch until every Tom Dic/k and Harry becomes a pirate in the Niger Delta .

There is a disturbing trend I've noticed that is brewing up and the only time this issue came up was during the criminally minded Niger Delta militancy.When you begin to see guys between the age bracket of 21-45 blowing almost a million naira in the clubs almost on weekend basis without any reasonable source of income then it should be taken seriously because it can only happen during the militancy era with proceeds from bunkery, but as I'm writing this right now people are spending money as if they have a tree bearing money in their garden and it only points towards one thing -the sea is beginning to boil again and piracy is on the loose .Like I have mentioned before our govt is always reactive but if they can sit down and become proactive whatever these evil children are cooking won't see the daylight.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence / Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport / Aminu Shagali Gives N19M To Students For Scholarship In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.