Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,316 members, 7,822,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) (51948 Views)

Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! / Trip: Abuja - Enugu & Anambra, With My 605 V6 (1500 Km) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 8:05pm On Jan 05, 2013
Performance of the car on the trip

A fun car to do long distance driving with!

In one of the journies to Enugu on the trip (on the Enugu-Onithsa highway), something happened that made me love the car more. I approached a Toyota Hiace Bus (aka Hummer) and wanted to overtake, but this Bus driver wouldnt let me. Each time i try to overtake the Bus, the driver would steer into the lane i wanted to overtake him from. I just couldnt understand it. It was so obvious that he was doing that intentionally. Hmm! It was a serious matter! I dont like people to make me show off what is under that hood, because i didnt buy the car to impress anyone. But in this case, i needed that V6 power. Guess what i did? I steered the car nose into the speed lane, as if i wanted to overtake, he steered into that lane again. Then, immediately, i steered the car back to the low speed lane he just steered away from, i shifted the gear lever from the 5th gear to the 4th and pushed the throttle pedal to the floor. What happened next was better experienced than imagined. The car front end quickly pulled up, the car tail pressed down, i was pushed back and pressed to the seat. With a very loud roaring impressive engine note, the car took off like a ROCKET! I didnt even know when the Bus was behind me! It was the very first time i saw that my 4th gear could speed about 140km/h within seconds from 80km/h; it was the very first time i got to know what actually is under that hood, which i have been under-utilizing, because of the way i pamper the baby. Damn! By the time i shifted back the stick to the 5th gear, the BUS was nowhere in sight via my rearview mirrow. Usually, i would giggle whenever the car impressed me that much. But in this case, i found myself laughing. Even the anger that had build up because of what that blood sucker, the Bus driver, was doing, had varnished. I felt like pulling over, come out and KISS hell out of the car. Lol! But seriously, I love that BABY! I guessed am reaping what i sowed.

So, over all, the car performed impressively and am looking forward to do another trip with it soon. There is so much fun to push a V6 stick to the limit, hold it untill the transmission starts screaming, before changing to a higher gear. And being a RWD too makes it more interesting. The way the rear end pushes down when you push the throttle pedal hard, makes the fun to be very intoxicating. I will cry my eyes out, if anything ever happens to that car. It has come to stay for good. No matter how many cars i own later in future, the car is going nowhere. Thats my prayer! A fun car!

Ikenna.

13 Likes

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by sultaan(m): 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2013
You need to reverse back up to the point where you picked up the lady and where you drove her to your compound.

Your story got muddled up when you missed including the above statement, would have made your journey a lil sweeter grin grin wink.

7 Likes

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2013
Another epic road trip!

Ikenna, do you carry a tool kit with you at all times? Lucky you did! I carry a tool kit in my car on a permanent basis, and it's come to the rescue on several occasions, though to help other motorists.

Either way, a tool kit is as important as a spare wheel and jack. cool

4 Likes

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 8:49pm On Jan 05, 2013
sultaan: You need to reverse back up to the point where you picked up the lady and where you drove her to your compound.

Your story got muddled up when you missed including the above statement, would have made your journey a lil sweeter grin grin wink.

So thats the only story that caught your interest? Lol!

Anyway, there is nothing else to tell, because nothing else happened.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2013
Siena: Another epic road trip!

Ikenna, do you carry a tool kit with you at all times? Lucky you did! I carry a tool kit in my car on a permanent basis, and it's come to the rescue on several occasions, though to help other motorists.

Either way, a tool kit is as important as a spare wheel and jack. cool

Yes, Siena. My tools are always in the car 24/7, except the big sized ones. But i always carry all of them whenever am doing long distance journey, including the electronics spare parts that could stop the car engine from running,if failed. I even carry my extra engine ignition ECU on long distance journies. I also want to purchase a spare Injection ECU. I always want to be sure the car i set out with on a long distance journey, takes me to the final destination and brings me back to Abuja. And so far, it has been the case.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by kablooee: 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2013
Impressive.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by kablooee: 9:59pm On Jan 05, 2013
Meanwhile Ikenna am still wondering why you hide my Post.....
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Jucol(m): 11:29pm On Jan 05, 2013
Wow! Impressive road trip. I was counting the number of pictures you took. I somehow lost count around 39 grin grin. Back then in 1998/99 I had one of those Peugoet 505 SR cars. I always enjoyed the to and fro Lagos - Calabar trips.

I love DO IT YOURSELF(DIY) guys. I carry all sorts of mechanical tools in my van. Saves time and lots of money.

I noticed you drive on the left lane( that should be used during overtaking), even when you are not overtaking grin grin. I guess you got carried away.

Apropos the bus driver that prevented you from overtaking, this is a very bad road habit in Nigeria. I will start a new thread to enlighten some of us on how to overtake.

Enjoy your 505, remember to change the timing belt/chain in time. I saw some warning light ON below the temperature gauge on your dash. Wonder what that is grin grin

Cheers1

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by 735i(m): 6:05pm On Jan 06, 2013
Wow...impressive

My old man used to rock a 505 back in the days....i never understood why we never travelled with my mum's brand new honda halla until now...

Would you know if the 407 has this kindda game? I want to play with a peugeot again...but with a more recent one.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 7:39pm On Jan 06, 2013
735 i:
Wow...impressive

My old man used to rock a 505 back in the days....i never understood why we never travelled with my mum's brand new honda halla until now...

Would you know if the 407 has this kindda game? I want to play with a peugeot again...but with a more recent one.

I dont know much about the 407 road handling, since i haven't driven it. I can only speak for 406.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 8:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
yungboss: nice write up, good pics to follow too. Your story reminds me of a trip i made with my uncle in his 505 evolution from Benin to Abuja back then, in 1999...the car was so powerful on the highway, though a 4 cylinder. I liked the fire-glow instrument lighting, same as in a bmw. But on another trip we made to lagos, we had this luxurious bus harrasing us at close to 140km/h, he had to give way for it to pass. I also have faint/fond memories of my dad's 504 GR in 1992/1993, bought brand new in 1982. But then the Mercedes and bmws of that era used to beat us up on the highway, especially the S class (W126 280SEL etc, u know those benzes and the W140s) and the bmws e34 et al. My family friend, a medical doctor had a 504 GL, which i think was superior to the GR then. The GL had a double Carb and it sounded so differently from the GR and SR, the latter i never really liked because of its light weight (of course it was because my dad didnt like the SR). Pugs are really nice cars, especially to 504 and 505.

To me, 504 was the best Car Peugeot ever produced. Those that had the foreign assembled 504 GL will understand me.

Of course, 504 GL was superior to the 504 L, GR & SR. The GR & SR had 1.8 Litre engines with single barrel carburetor, while the GL had 2.0 Litre engine with double barrel carburetor. The GR & SR were Nigerian specifications (PAN productions). Europe and America had mostly 504 Diesel, TI & GL. The ground clearance of the GL and the SR/GR were different. The GL was designed for speed, hence the double barrel carburetor, lower ground clearance and heavier. Most of the GL in Nigeria then were imported. The imported ones had 4 wheel brake disks. In the late '70, when PAN came into existence, they started assembling 504 GL. But the PAN GL had rear drum brake system, just like their SR and GR counterpart. You can tell the difference between the foreign assembled GL from PAN assembled from the instrument cluster, rear brake system & the A/C vents and control panel.

The imported GL had a durable engine more than the PAN productions, because the crankshaft of the foreign GL had holes on the crank journals, for proper lubrications, while the PAN engines had none. Most people that had the PAN 504s & 505s were replacing their crankshaft (aka New model crankshaft) to the foreign GL crankshaft (aka old model crankshaft), which cost more than half of the PAN crankshaft. The 504 GL, the foreign assembled, then was given the name " Never Say Die", because of its ruggedness, reliability and durability, more than the PAN productions. The only cons of foreign assembled 504 GL was body rust. It can rust like hell when it starts aging, unlike the PAN 504s & 505s.

505 took after the 504 GL. That is to say, the 505 was designed out of 504 GL, not from 504 L, SR or GR. They realised how good the 504 GL was and reproduced it as 505, even though the 504 GR & SR were newer to the GL. Thats why the standard 505, including PAN productions, had all the mechanicals of 504 GL. The only difference between the 504 GL and 505 is the body and electrics. Unfotunately, the PAN 505s didnt get the foreign assembled 504 GL crankshaft, rear brake disk, low ground clearance, etc. Only the PAN 505 SR got double barrel carburretor. The rest had the single.

One good thing about XN1 & XN1A (engines in 504s & 505s) is that they have double timing chains, which makes them indestructible. But due to poor lubrication ( thanks to Nigerians maintenance culture), the chains tend to rattle. But the noise from the rattling would be so loud that one would know its time for the chains to be adjusted or replaced, which is very easy to replace, anyway.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by octar6: 9:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
nice one.such long trips are really interesting with an outstanding car as yours. well done and keep it up.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by yungboss(m): 11:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
oh yes, i recall the L and the TI, the 504 L had a horizontal speed indicator, with a steering-neck gear lever, lol. The 504 TI had the peugeot 404-type door handle...the L and TI i used to think were grand and great grand parents respectively, of the 504 GL.
I also know of the 505 STI, the American Spec. having Projecting bumpers, front and rear. I think it had a wider body and a bit newer than the regular 505 (ikenna, your type).
There was also the 504 series 2. A whole lot different from the regular 504, it had up to 5th gear, manual and auto i think . It also had a different dash but i think its a very very rare model...
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 11:39pm On Jan 06, 2013
yungboss: oh yes, i recall the L and the TI, the 504 L had a horizontal speed indicator, with a steering-neck gear lever, lol. The 504 TI had the peugeot 404-type door handle...the L and TI i used to think were grand and great grand parents respectively, of the 504 GL.
I also know of the 505 STI, the American Spec. having Projecting bumpers, front and rear. I think it had a wider body and a bit newer than the regular 505 (ikenna, your type).
There was also the 504 series 2. A whole lot different from the regular 504, it had up to 5th gear, manual and auto i think . It also had a different dash but i think its a very very rare model...

504 GL & TI were produced the same time. The 504 TI had mechanical fuel injection engine, PAS, auto transmission (optional), and power windows. While GL had fuel carburreted engine (XN1). The 504 L was older than the TI & GL.

The American spec 505 (the STI you mentioned) is not newer than my type. Both are Series II 505. The difference is that mine is Euro spec, while the other is American spec. Do know that the North Americans got STI as series I too.

The 504 series 2 you mentioned was not Nigerian spec. It was Argentina series 2. So those ones you saw then in Nigeria were imported as used (tokunbo). The PAN series II 504 had the conventional 4 speed manual as standard, with XN1A engine.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 1:04am On Jan 07, 2013
Nice old cranky ride. The engine is laughable. Take good care of your baby. I don't like it on front-page though.

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Centinno01: 1:06am On Jan 07, 2013
Eyah,see wht brain redundance has caused?@OP i thnk u don't av work,please fine something an do.by d way who gave u dat scrap u call 505?mtcheww
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by swit16(f): 1:12am On Jan 07, 2013
Hmmm.....impressive wink
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by adewasco2k(m): 1:15am On Jan 07, 2013
nice one dude
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by ehie007(m): 1:16am On Jan 07, 2013
Your 505 still looks very clean...well maintained...

Nice journey story...
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 1:18am On Jan 07, 2013
I dont understand why Nigerians always drive without seatbelt. Even in movies,u see them get into d car n just drive off.

OP i thank God for ur safe trip but pls next time have ur seat belt on. It doesnt guarantee anything but its one of those little things we have control over.
Am glad u had fun
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Meegadough: 1:21am On Jan 07, 2013
Smh
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 07, 2013
That pakupaku moto belongs to the scrap yard!
stop causing noise and air pollution with your banger everywhere. anupam
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by slimfit1(m): 1:32am On Jan 07, 2013
Wooooooh right interesting story. I think I should post a story of how I screwed my woman. Since we don't have sections for bull shit.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by plaetton: 1:33am On Jan 07, 2013
G smileyreat job
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 07, 2013
Ikenna351: Arrived Anambra.

Driving through Amawbia town.

Ikenna.

I love these travel pictures especially those in rural towns in Igboland
[size=18pt]Okija juju did a good job and now you are too
It may be the only education those who specialize in shouting " go back to your Igbo villages" get [/size]
Yes that is a rural town called Amawbia in Anambra state
Not the stereotype you hear some people who have never left their father's compound talk about
Keep them coming young man
A picture they say is worth a thousand words
Some Lagosians would wish they lived in a neighborhood like pictures below

7 Likes

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by SisiKill1: 1:38am On Jan 07, 2013
Very interesting!

OP thanks for letting me travel vicariously through you. grin
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by tellwsdom: 1:40am On Jan 07, 2013
How can you be driving and at the same time taking pictures??.....If you drive enter bush now, una go begin disturb us for donation sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by pauloni(m): 1:42am On Jan 07, 2013
Nice trip with Good information well done
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by luluosas(m): 1:43am On Jan 07, 2013
Thank God for the safe journey.

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 1:47am On Jan 07, 2013
Ikenna351: Ngodo Junction, Nise.

Ikenna.

Nise another rural town
Splendid!

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by dangiwa09(m): 1:54am On Jan 07, 2013
@Ikenna351

Thanks for the documentary and the pictures, oustanding! I really enjoyed them, especially the rural towns. Stay safe and remain Blessed!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The New 2018 Volvo XC60 Is One Of The Safest Suvs Ever Made / Range Rover Astronaut Edition Is Only For Those Who Paid ₦90m To Fly Into Space / Family Of 4 Crushed To Death On Christmas Eve By Truck; Their Chickens Survived

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.