Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria (14418 Views)

How To Archive Your Dreams In 2015 / ACCION HR; Are They Real? / Top Secrets To Find The Job Of Your Dreams In 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by emmylee097: 9:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
I believe this is best medium to display my disappoint and anger at we NIGERIANS(HR Personals) for your inconsistent employment criteria.
Based on a true event a firm(one of the big four) informed an applicant of their intention not to proceed with his interview process .After persisting he was informed his 2.2 grade is the sole reason for that action.
All efforts to explain to the panel that his CGPA was 3.49 fell into deaf earsYou might need to know that two employment stages have been conducted prior to this stage.
THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG ARE WE(NIGERIAN HR PERSONEL)GOING TO CONTINUE LOOKING AT CGPA GRADE RATHER THAN THE CANDIDATES TALENT.THAT IS A GIFT MOST FOREIGN HR STAFFS NEED TO TEACH WE BLACKS.
(that won't kill his zeal to seek better offers,but we need to change).

13 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Dfrenzy(m): 10:21am On Jan 06, 2013
Uhm...!!!

1 Like

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 06, 2013
Abeg God as i run the final lap of my academies in the uni,crown my efforts with 2.1 amen. Mehn this cgpa issue na wahala

2 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 06, 2013
I will employ ppl who can solve my problems. I don't care if u use juju to sort our the company's problem. 2.2 indeed. 10.10 nko

7 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Leofric(m): 10:27am On Jan 06, 2013
mumu,you didnt do ur research well before studying it in school,(HR PESSONEL),are barely needed in an organisation
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by YuzedoII: 10:28am On Jan 06, 2013
Son, why are you b(i)tching?

If a company knows EXACTLY what they don't want, who are you to insist they accept you based on "potential" rather than track-record?

I came out with a 2.2, my CGPA was also 3.48 but I take responsibility for that. All the things I coulda done, sorting, lobbying, a(s)s-kissing, WORKING HARDER in my early years, I mean c'mon, we had 4yrs to get a good CGPA. What I do know I don't have is a misplaced sense of entitlement. I graduated, I applied as necessary, and I apply no more.

How you handle disappointment is a test of character, and you my man, sound bitter.

23 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 06, 2013
Leofric: mumu,you didnt do ur research well before studying it in school,(HR PESSONEL),are barely needed in an organisation
educate us instead of throwing punchline
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Iaz93: 10:32am On Jan 06, 2013
Leofric: mumu,you didnt do ur research well before studying it in school,(HR PESSONEL),are barely needed in an organisation
must you insult?

2 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by adoken: 10:33am On Jan 06, 2013
ARES: I will employ ppl who can solve my problems. I don't care if u use juju to sort our the company's problem. 2.2 indeed. 10.10 nko
I laugh in polar form, grin,I remember back then when the 2:1 campaign in college was at its peak and a fella beckoned on me and asked,'If I make a 3:1,does that make me unworthy in life after school?',as I speak today,the guy is in House of Assembly Abuja and what he has achieved so far is a dream yet to come true for many professors and ten thousand 1:1s...food for thought!!!

8 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 06, 2013
emmylee097: I believe this is best medium to display my disappoint and anger at we NIGERIANS(HR Personals) for your inconsistent employment criteria.
Based on a true event a firm(one of the big four) informed an applicant of their intention not to proceed with his interview process .After persisting he was informed his 2.2 grade is the sole reason for that action.
All efforts to explain to the panel that his CGPA was 3.49 fell into deaf earsYou might need to know that two employment stages have been conducted prior to this stage.
THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG ARE WE(NIGERIAN HR PERSONEL)GOING TO CONTINUE LOOKING AT CGPA GRADE RATHER THAN THE CANDIDATES TALENT.THAT IS A GIFT MOST FOREIGN HR STAFFS NEED TO TEACH WE BLACKS.
(that won't kill his zeal to seek better offers,but we need to change).

It's not difficult to see why "HR Personals" insist on certain grades.

12 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by mu2sa2: 10:46am On Jan 06, 2013
The certificate is evidence of the knowledge acquired; without the knowledge the certificate signifies nothing and is, therefore, worthless. But in nigeria today certificate is taken as knowledge itself; so, everybody goes to pick up Bsc, BA, LL.B, MBBS, B.ed by whatever means including purchase, forgery, theft, impersonation. We worship certificate and the nation is sorely paying the price.

4 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by BlackOyinbo: 10:48am On Jan 06, 2013
@OP, there are no inconsistencies in the recruitment processes of these companies. Ur friend should have read the requirements before applying. Also do u want the HR personnel to risk losing his job in order to favour an applicant.
Your grades do not define you, what u choose to do with them does.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 06, 2013
adoken:
I laugh in polar form, grin,I remember back then when the 2:1 campaign in college was at its peak and a fella beckoned on me and asked,'If I make a 3:1,does that make me unworthy in life after school?',as I speak today,the guy is in House of Assembly Abuja and what he has achieved so far is a dream yet to come true for many professors and ten thousand 1:1s...food for thought!!!

Abobi, na which House of Assembly dey Abuja?

4 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by odohemma(m): 10:58am On Jan 06, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy:

What were u expecting from him? He already described his friend to you; birds of a feather flock together.

1 Like

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by daryoor(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2013
an average 2.1 is smarter than an average 2.2 but there are 2.2s that will match and out-perform first class. 2.2 is just so wide raged that it encapsulates geniuses, imbeciles and a ship load of mediocrity.

15 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by pak: 11:08am On Jan 06, 2013
@OP,

Its not an issue of 2:1 or 2:2, its an issue of demand and supply.

The labour market is saturated , hence employers can be as choosy as they want (Dangote anyone ?).

I have applied for a job at some point where I was dropped because of the school I attended, not my degree or grade, and the organisation in question was an europe based multinational. So quit whinning and make the best of what you have

2 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by YuzedoII: 11:08am On Jan 06, 2013
pro01:

Oga Pro, I didn't want to point out those obvious howlers, make dem for no talk say "stick to the issue!", but you don see am! After now, dem go dey demand job for Exxon, Chevron, etc but to write 500 word essay error-free and well structured na rocket science... undecided

6 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by brownlord: 11:08am On Jan 06, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy:

Leve guy jor, na today u knw say md pple self don dey nl
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by boladonas(m): 11:14am On Jan 06, 2013
HR Practitioners like me, have in most cases only your application letter and CV to make informed judgements in less than 5 minutes per CV.
At that stage what separates a candidate from another is his/her grade in school. Remember also, that sometimes you can have 25,000 applications for just 20 positions. We also look at what we think your competencies are and try to do a person fit. When we call for interviews, it is this fit that we are looking for, and if Intelligent Quotient carries a high weight in the fit, your grade at school is the only measure available to the HR practitioner.

Dont worry, there are jobs that require less of IQ and more of brawn, you may have more chances in landing such jobs or rather proceed to do an MBA.

Thank you

6 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Madcow(m): 11:14am On Jan 06, 2013
Your dream is to get a Job...sad
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 06, 2013
YuzedoII:

Oga Pro, I didn't want to point out those obvious howlers, make dem for no talk say "stick to the issue!", but you don see am! After now, dem go dey demand job for Exxon, Chevron, etc but to write 500 word essay error-free and well structured na rocket science... undecided

Mehn, that's the problem. I don't understand why so many Nigerians strut around with a sense of entitlement. Employers can only employ individuals that add value to their organisation. . .not parasites and awoof-hunters.

1 Like

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 06, 2013
adoken:
Bro I feel u, in nigeria schools now that u can buy whatever grade u want? I rather test someone on the skill I want and if he can do it, end of story, if u like go to harvad, if u can't do what I want, go get employed by ppl who worship paper grade and not skills and talent

3 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Ezegozie(m): 11:21am On Jan 06, 2013
adoken:

what is 1:1 and 3:1.

Pls what we have is 1st class, 2nd class upper (2:1), 2nd class lower(2:2), 3rd class and then pass.

And do i hear you say house of assembly in Abuja?. Maybe you mean house of representatives.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Ezegozie(m): 11:22am On Jan 06, 2013
i think you are the only mumu in this thread trying to kick off a fight with your immature comment
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 06, 2013
ARES:
Bro I feel u, in nigeria INSTITUTIONs now that u can buy whatever grade u want? I rather test someone on the SKILLS I want and if he can do it, end of story, if u like go to harvad, if u can't do what I want, go get employed by ppl who worship paper grade and not skills and talent..lol.
FACTS
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 06, 2013
daryoor: an average 2.1 is smarter than an average 2.2 but they 2.2s that will match and out-perform first class. 2.2 is just so wide raged that it encapsulates geniuses, imbeciles and a ship load of mediocrity.

Exactly, and this is the dilemma many companies/recruitment agencies have to deal with. Sifting through the motley crowd of 2.2 applicants can be very tiring, not to mention costly. It is very difficult to determine which 2.2 is a genius and which is a dullard, except through interviews. In this case, how much time does one have to interview thousands of applicants? The only practical way out of this problem is to limit the number of applicants by inviting applications from individuals with a minimum of 2.1 . . .especially for entry-level positions. I can't blame them for that.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by dulphines: 11:33am On Jan 06, 2013
pro01:

Personnel (singular,plural) nt Personels biko.

3 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by controlseven: 11:38am On Jan 06, 2013
Ezegozie:

what is 1:1 and 3:1.

Pls what we have is 1st class, 2nd class upper (2:1), 2nd class lower(2:2), 3rd class and then pass.

And do i hear you say house of assembly in Abuja?. Maybe you mean house of representatives.
See JAMB answer oooo......oya take ur award! Mbuk?
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by jobd: 11:39am On Jan 06, 2013
odohemma:
What were u expecting from him? He already described his friend to you; birds of the same feather flock together.
nairalanders una too get bad mouth.....lwkmd
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by controlseven: 11:42am On Jan 06, 2013
dulphines:
Personnel (singular,plural) nt Personels biko.
Nwa baby teacher! U did'nt see that quote ehhhhh!

6 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Jobabori(m): 11:45am On Jan 06, 2013
adoken:
You mean House of Representative?. There is no House of Assembly in Abuja.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dear Beneficiaries And Applicants, Always Write Out Your Words In Full,thank You / Npower: What Happened To Exit Package? / Rivers State Civil Service Commission Graduate Recruitment 2017 (19 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.