Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? (5030 Views)

How Do I Stop Feeling Ashamed Of My Husband / When Should Parents Stop Helping Their Children Financially? / Want To Have More Sex? Men, Stop Helping With The Chores:31.1.13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 07, 2013
Siena:

Did you read properly, and understand what he's trying to get across? Or does verbal abuse simply come naturally to you?

i read through and i have my understanding of the post
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:03am On Jan 07, 2013
olas2u: i read through and i have my understanding of the post

Okay.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 1:51am On Jan 07, 2013
Well, that is how some people are, they believe that once you travelled out of d country, you never have to work hard b4 you get money and that they are here to help you spend d money. What they are suffering from is lack of self esteem/respect. So, thread with caution when trying to help pple financially, because, if you dont let them know your stand, they will surely come back for more.

Even, those of us in nigeria experience the same thing, for reasons best known to them, some pple just believe that you are better off than them financially, hence, coming to you for financial assistance, which they never refunded, some are not even shameful at all, they live in the same area with you, borrow money from you with a promise to refund 2 or more days later, they will not refund d money, they will not come to give you reasons for not yet refunding your money, and when they see you, they will greet you without feeling ashamed.
We (i&hubby) have really learnt our lessons in a very hard way.

As im typing now, im feeling very angry and bad about a certain person, d person is our neighbor. In August last year, he came to us that he wanted to withdraw money from d ATM, and that d machine swallowed his ATM card and that there is no way he could lodge his complain, since it was a weekend and that he needed d money urgently and that he would refund d money on Monday when he might have settled with d bank, with his explainatin, we took him serious and gave him d money, since then, he has not refunded d money, and d most annoying part is that, we see ourselves everyday, no explaination, no apology, no refund, infact, he never behaved as if he collected anything from us, each time i ask my hubby to ask for d money, he always said, there is no need to, but one thing he is certain of is that, he can never come to us again for financial assistance. Can u imagine? So, we learn everyday, we have decided not to give out d money we cannot forget about.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by bigheart2013(m): 2:56am On Jan 07, 2013
I ran into a wealthy Malawian lady who narrated how she was made. A wealthy American family employed her as a babysitter for 12 years in her teens. She baby-sat all their three kids. They paid for her university in USA. On graduation they gave her one of their several houses worth $750k, bought her a car, stocks, and cash gift all worth over $1m. She'll be probably mentioned in their will inheritance someday. Eye-opening indeed! A Nigerian would have probably made away with their jewelries, get caught and sent to jail due to impatience, pressure from people at home, and materialism...

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by bigheart2013(m): 3:03am On Jan 07, 2013
Siena: To be honest, I can't blame you for wanting to turn your back on Nigerians in Nigeria.

I've had similar experiences.

My eldest sister too has fallen foul of our kid sister (she's 36). She's the only one who was born in Nigeria, and it would have been a simple issue to get her to the UK as a dependent, whilst she was under 18 (as we were all orphaned quite young). My elder sister sent her money to sort out her passport, visa and stuff. She blew the money, and claimed she was "duped" by a "visa agent."

My elder sister sent her more money, and the same thing happened - this time, she said it wasn't enough, she needed to pay certain people. Again, it never happened.

Again, my elder sister wanted to open a Dom account, our kid sister said she could do it. She was sent money back in 2010, and till date, no Dom account, no money.

Lastly, she was sent £500 worth of goods to sell; the idea was she made a profit, and sent the balance back, then more goods could be sent. So building up a business that would benefit herself. This was at the tail end of 2010. She sold the goods, and never sent a penny back. She claims "her customers are owing her." For two years??

Never again.

...I am wondering why people from other African countries don't behave like this? We can't say it's poverty because Nigeria is not the poorest African country yet Nigerians are among the most religious in Africa...everyone is born-again attending tarry nights, Shilo, night vigils, crusades, prayer nights, etc. Now you understand why our citizens are rejected visas to abroad. We have very low quality of life, suffering and despair persist despite our so-called godliness, intelligence and smartness. Maybe Nigerians deserve what they are going through now. It is called 'Karma'....they have sights but lack visions..very sad!!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 07, 2013
bigheart2013:

...I am wondering why people from other African countries don't behave like this? We can't say it's poverty because Nigeria is not the poorest African country yet Nigerians are among the most religious in Africa...everyone is born-again attending tarry nights, Shilo, night vigils, crusades, prayer nights, etc. Now you understand why our citizens are rejected visas to abroad. We have very low quality of life, suffering and despair persist despite our so-called godliness, intelligence and smartness. Maybe Nigerians deserve what they are going through now. It is called 'Karma'....they have sights but lack visions..very sad!!

Who told you that people from other African countries don't behave like this?
By the way, I am not Nigerian.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Genius100: 5:00am On Jan 07, 2013
bigheart2013: Please does anyone have the same experience as me?

1.I’ve opened three different business outfits in Nigeria (a business center, digital photo lab, transport biz with 4 buses) that all wound down due to theft, dishonesty and fraud by employees.

2.I have helped about 5 unemployed relatives in Nigeria to start businesses either by loaning them money or shipping them goods to sell. Once they got the money/goods they started the usually cock and bull stories and excuses. Today we are all enemies because they either can’t or refused to pay back.

3.My old uncle I trusted to help me fence my house in Nigeria ( a pastor) turned it into a private business; he used N2mil to fence one plot of land in the village.

4.I recommended a graduate female friend for employment at a friend’s company at Lagos, she embezzled the company’s funds and bolted away. My friend now views me with contempt.

5.The last straw is that my own 24yrs old little sister (unemployed graduate) has abandoned a business I just started for her and followed a mere boy who has no job and not even a place of his own, yet promising to marry her. She’s now at war with me.

In all I’ve lost over $350,000 dollars in the past five years trying to help one person or the other in Nigeria. I am considering a resolution to have a ‘blanket’ shutdown (no texts, no calls, no emails) never to help anyone living in Nigeria with finance again but my girlfriend is a Christian and keeps preaching to me to forgive and keep doing good for the sake of God. What’s your own experience helping people living in Nigeria and how did you avoid this type of situations? I live in the USA now.

Sorry. I've never been duped by Nigerians because I figured our people out a long time ago. Do not stop helping Nigerians but stop trying to open businesses in Nigeria, if you live abroad. It almost NEVER ends well.

If you lend people money, lend them amounts that if they do not pay back it won't hurt you.

The only business I will do in Nigeria is a business that will require my customers to pay me before I deliver the goods. Otherwise, forget it...

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:19am On Jan 07, 2013
What is it with us Africans and 'help' sef?
Why should anybody 'help' anybody? All this 'help' is what is killing the continent, killing initiative, and promoting unnecessary entitlement mentality and laziness in the name of 'community support'.

People should stop giving handouts to relatives. If they want to go to school, ask for the school bank account and pay the fees yourself.
If they want to set up a business, ask them to get a a job first, even if it means sweeping the streets. Why should anyone who has never worked a day in their lives be trusted to run any kind of business?
If you want to build a house back home, come back, do your research, buy your land yourself, and do the heavy lifting. If your relative is sick and needs to buy drugs, ask the name of the drugs, purchase them and send over, or at least try to get in touch with the doctor.

Do not say 'he is my brother, sister, uncle, cousin, and therefore I trust him.' Deal with anybody the way you would deal with anyone else. No free lunch anywhere, and that should not be the case in Africa.

Do you know, I have personally witnessed a top SS politician 'dash' someone a casual gift of US$10,000?
How would such a recipient every condemn that kind of politician, or even question how he is able to dash somebody that kind of money as 'transport'? That is how those people you say you are 'helping' view you. They believe you are abroad, and have lots of spare change, especially given the difference in exchange rate. So if they are able to access a few hundred dollars/pounds/euros from you, it doesn't harm you any, plus they can also live 'big' to some extent back home. So, no need to complain, OP. Just change your style.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 5:25am On Jan 07, 2013
^^^Please tell them o. All these Yankee folks that think because they are making a few dollars, they must distribute it to all sundry. If you dropped dead today, I guarantee you those relatives will survive.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 5:28am On Jan 07, 2013
bigheart2013: Please does anyone have the same experience as me?

1.I’ve opened three different business outfits in Nigeria (a business center, digital photo lab, transport biz with 4 buses) that all wound down due to theft, dishonesty and fraud by employees.

2.I have helped about 5 unemployed relatives in Nigeria to start businesses either by loaning them money or shipping them goods to sell. Once they got the money/goods they started the usually cock and bull stories and excuses. Today we are all enemies because they either can’t or refused to pay back.

3.My old uncle I trusted to help me fence my house in Nigeria ( a pastor) turned it into a private business; he used N2mil to fence one plot of land in the village.

4.I recommended a graduate female friend for employment at a friend’s company at Lagos, she embezzled the company’s funds and bolted away. My friend now views me with contempt.

5.The last straw is that my own 24yrs old little sister (unemployed graduate) has abandoned a business I just started for her and followed a mere boy who has no job and not even a place of his own, yet promising to marry her. She’s now at war with me.

In all I’ve lost over $350,000 dollars in the past five years trying to help one person or the other in Nigeria. I am considering a resolution to have a ‘blanket’ shutdown (no texts, no calls, no emails) never to help anyone living in Nigeria with finance again but my girlfriend is a Christian and keeps preaching to me to forgive and keep doing good for the sake of God. What’s your own experience helping people living in Nigeria and how did you avoid this type of situations? I live in the USA now.

Honestly, your case looks hopeless. You lost 350K, and still need advice from Nairaland? This has nothing to do with God. You are an idi0t
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Roseey0(f): 5:29am On Jan 07, 2013
U are not the first,neither wil you be the last,its not restricted to Nigerians alone,the hrt of MEN< not jst nigerians> are desperately wicked.Never stop,cos if God decides to stop us all,jst becos some have deviated,we all will not be here..Do the little you can,let God reward cos he sees more than we can see.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:51am On Jan 07, 2013
^^^^ True talk Rossey .... as time goes on you learn your lesson big time and stop being naive cos its not gonna get better....things are tough back home so any cash they can deep into helps .

My testimony; I ship vehicles home ....... and I've used 4 different people ( all duped me big time I almost sunk all my line of credit ) until I found a guy ( introduced on the phone) that gave me part of his lot..... I told him ...I'm not in a rush to sell ... just leave them there... calls me with ridiculous offers until we meet in the middle cos he makes his own too so everybody's happy .... I will not stop doing it but I'm very wise now.

OP... be wise , that's a lot of money you're dispensing in a shack. undecided
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Burger01(m): 6:10am On Jan 07, 2013
Hey yah... I think it's best you handle your business yourself and stop helping anu one living in naija. Poverty is the bane of corruption...
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by damiso(f): 7:29am On Jan 07, 2013
AjanleKoko: What is it with us Africans and 'help' sef?
Why should anybody 'help' anybody? All this 'help' is what is killing the continent, killing initiative, and promoting unnecessary entitlement mentality and laziness in the name of 'community support'.

People should stop giving handouts to relatives. If they want to go to school, ask for the school bank account and pay the fees yourself.
If they want to set up a business, ask them to get a a job first, even if it means sweeping the streets. Why should anyone who has never worked a day in their lives be trusted to run any kind of business?
If you want to build a house back home, come back, do your research, buy your land yourself, and do the heavy lifting. If your relative is sick and needs to buy drugs, ask the name of the drugs, purchase them and send over, or at least try to get in touch with the doctor.

Do not say 'he is my brother, sister, uncle, cousin, and therefore I trust him.' Deal with anybody the way you would deal with anyone else. No free lunch anywhere, and that should not be the case in Africa.

Do you know, I have personally witnessed a top SS politician 'dash' someone a casual gift of US$10,000?
How would such a recipient every condemn that kind of politician, or even question how he is able to dash somebody that kind of money as 'transport'? That is how those people you say you are 'helping' view you. They believe you are abroad, and have lots of spare change, especially given the difference in exchange rate. So if they are able to access a few hundred dollars/pounds/euros from you, it doesn't harm you any, plus they can also live 'big' to some extent back home. So, no need to complain, OP. Just change your style.

I think this cos the only form of fall back or should i say 'welfare' is family.Here if you fall on bad times there are things you can falk back on without necessarily needing family(also abused but another story).But as been said i think people should develop the attitude of being responsible for themselves and also ingrain in their kids.By the time my child finishes their first degree any help i give from then on is seen as obligatory and not mandatory.If you decide you want to do masters i will loan you the money at a lower rate of student loan(just as a sort of lessom does not necessarily mean i wont let go or still give the money to them) its just to curb in them a sense of entitlement.

I have an aunty gosh she is something else.She is 50 this yr and has been moaning all her life on people who were meant to help and did not.First her parents for not sending her to uni my grandad in particular as he had too many kids(this same man gave birth to my mum and she practically scrimped to send herself to uni).Then her aunty who was the richest in the family at the time.As soon as my mum got married(God bless my dad for taking on so much drama at such a young age) my mum practically became mum to 4 grown ass siblings.She sent to her to fasion design schl she dropped out,secetarial schl she dropped out, catering schl she dropped out not counting the no of GCE's paid for.
Then came the era of blaming my mum for not allowing her travel abroad(my mum worked in oil and gas dept of a then govt parastatal) as my mum traveled alot.Like the woman is British high commisioner or american ambassador.Ok fast forward to her running my mums supermarket aground(mum thought ok as you have nothing doing manage this with a salary and lets see how far).
Long story short she sha met an engineer(through my mum again) and the guy fell im love and married her.He had a good job anf they lived a confortable life.But trust people like that to be extravagant and kerp up with the joneses to feel good about their inadequacy.When my mum advises her she will get angry and sometimes even insinuate envy.All through this good times o she still expected me to be sending her money and stuff o.Uhmm she will be like buy me underwear from MandS.Buy my daughter sch shoe she wants Clarks or Kickers.I want Mac powder.bla bla.I used to indulge all this but sometime last yr i told my mum no more.She told everyone am now stingy like everyone in Uk.i dony care.
Her hubby lost his oil servicing job last May and now she is on another blaming fest.She is not even talking to my mum and my uncle cos those ones told her hard facts.Her husband too is a foolish man.They spent 700k on 10 yr old bday party in april hubby loses job in may a d they are panicking about sch fees.She called me that her daughter sch fees is 420k and me and hubby 'need''to drop something.Like WTH.She stopped talking to my uncle when that one asked if her child must go to that sch.I sha sent her £100 and you wont believe that she did not even say thank you.Me am not even looking for her thank you but she started bad mouthing my mum and my siblings that we abandoned her in her time of trouble.My sis also gave her 25k.Am like did she expect the whole 420k ni?
So you see some people are just outta this world.So many of them telling me to open business for them like am a equity investor.Go the bank with your business plan man
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by kaze4blues(m): 9:07am On Jan 07, 2013
But ppl re wicked sha oo.

Even we in naija sef, u wil help sumone nd dt person wil stil disappoint u.

Too many stories to tell

@OpN never stop helpin ppl, ur reward wil surely cum frm ur lord one day. No human can gv reward for any assistance rendered bt only god.

Wteva u do for sumone, do it only for god.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 10:22am On Jan 07, 2013
@Op(Bigheart)

You have done your bit
The next thing for you is to close shop and focus on yourself and your (new) family
When you guys are comfortable (a home paid for, child care n school fees sorted out for at least 2 years. Stash money for emergencies (be it medical etc usally 6 times your monthly income ) then you can use your church/mosque/shrine mind to consider requests on merit
Until then NO NO
Also don’t loan out money you cant afford to lose

May God help you

@Ajanlekoko
Superb insight as usual. Undue reliance on benevolence has stifled the black race
Use the gifts to grow yourself and be appreciative but people believe in coming to collect fish instead of becoming fisher men

@damiso
Sorry about your aunt but tyour mum should have cut off long ago
That may have helped her to sit up
May God help her and u also.

@Siena
So you don sleep for BIG FREEZE befor o
God go repay that guy cheesy

@TheCongo
Thanks for pointing out this is not unique to Nigerians but it is African nay a human problem
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by MMotimo: 10:32am On Jan 07, 2013
AjanleKoko: . Why should anyone who has never worked a day in their lives be trusted to run any kind of business?

Simple glaring logic, never thought about it that way before
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by damiso(f): 10:46am On Jan 07, 2013
biolabee: @Op(Bigheart)

You have done your bit
The next thing for you is to close shop and focus on yourself and your (new) family
When you guys are comfortable (a home paid for, child care n school fees sorted out for at least 2 years. Stash money for emergencies (be it medical etc usally 6 times your monthly income ) then you can use your church/mosque/shrine mind to consider requests on merit
Until then NO NO
Also don’t loan out money you cant afford to lose

May God help you

@Ajanlekoko
Superb insight as usual. Undue reliance on benevolence has stifled the black race
Use the gifts to grow yourself and be appreciative but people believe in coming to collect fish instead of becoming fisher men

@damiso
Sorry about your aunt but tyour mum should have cut off long ago
That may have helped her to sit up
May God help her and u also.

@Siena
So you don sleep for BIG FREEZE befor o
God go repay that guy cheesy

@TheCongo
Thanks for pointing out this is not unique to Nigerians but it is African nay a human problem

May God help you and us all.My mum is from a verrrrry sentimental and daresay I one kain competitive polygamous home.She is my mums only full sis so i guess my mum always thought she owed it to her to make something of her life.Funny enough the boys were not like that.One of my uncles is now a GM in an insurance co in Lagos when that one is coming over na enjoyment for my kids kiss.To be honest iv learnt so much from my parents lives that i.am kinda happy i was old enough to share some experiences.

All in all i think its basically a sense of self entitelment.I hate stories like ehn my dad did not pay for my masters in UK and he had the money o.If not i would have been working in Shell now.Am like pay for your masters yourself?Uhm that my dad bro uncle sis wife is a minister daughter why can she not give me letter to NNPC all this rich people are wicked.Am like must you work in NNPC so now that you are not working in NNPC cant you be proactive think outside the box and stop flashig me to send you a BB
It really is irritating. angry
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by tsmith(f): 11:31am On Jan 07, 2013
i cant even start with my Nigeria stories, it's like i never learn. Promised myself this year 2013, no more only for my BIL to do me quick rambo again. His wife asked me to pick up trainers and black shoes for 2 of the kids & office clothes for her(no money ooh and short notice, as in 5days)As he's to leave for naija today, he came friday to sleep over, so he cld pick the things. We went shopping together (so i cld drop him off at the bus station), only for him to be picking things for one contractor, himself, his sister etc and add to my lot at the till. WTF! He did it at 2 different stores and was saying some story abt expecting some transfers from nigeria that didnt come through. Why travel if u dont have enough money! I know he went out with my husband to pick plugs from Halfords, and i know that one wold have chopped his bananas well, as normally he is the one that falls to such pranks, but my BIL got me big time, now I wont even carry anyone for shopping again, take the bus abeg!

Or is it my sista that keeps robbing Peter to pay Paul. She wa going back to Naija, there are these gummy vutamins i bought for my kids cost me a fortune from costco as far as im concerned, but bought all three; multi vit, calcium n omega3. only for me to discover 1 was missing, when i asked her, she said she saw there were 3 there and just took one. She doesnt have kids ooh, she's probably going to give some ppl and say i bought it for me, shey its my own kids that dont need vits? or am I a charity? She's been doing stuffs like that lots and over-tells stories about me to ppl, so those ones now come with demands not knowing the issues I go through here. I just told my dad that as from this year, I'm not allowing her to stay in my house again, coz i always lose my head one she does her normal antics.

Or my stepmom that i helped with money, biz idea, PR, clients etc. She just ruined the whole opportunity at the 3rd run. Greed!!! Now she's back to square one, and I only look at my dad's side now, i dont bother with her. That is another story for another day!

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 12:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
@damiso
Thanks
A relative told me that is what he did to his younger blood bro( cut him off) for a while to get him serious
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by aniffy4eva(m): 12:23pm On Jan 07, 2013
Oh well, maybe i should speak from the other side of the divide. Some of these people really NEED the help, either from abroad or locally. Growing up was quite difficult for me and i had 2 sets of "cousins". Type A cousins had the mentality of majority of the people in this forum - "All Nigerians are unworthy of help... blah blah blah....", treated me like shiit .. cheesy (chai i don suffer...) but i took all in stride....and then i got a whiff of one of my cousins who lived in the US. I got in touch with him and the "HELP" was consistent throughout my school years. $100 now and again.. here and there...I'll call him the Type B cousin.

Fast forward a few years later... levels don change grin... i'm his (Type B cousin) kids' favourite uncle - always showing up with loads of toys etc. He's glad to be a part of my success story. We are VERY close and he's strong influence in my life!

Type A cousins are now struggling desperately hard to be "friends", adding me on FB, trying to have a "relationship" etc... it's just the christian in me that restrains me from giving them the "middle-finger salute" angry

@ OP.. what i'm trying to say is

Help as much as you can without causing your nuclear family harm.
Don't borrow people what you can't "dash"
There'll always be good and bad people and the "bad" ALWAYS outnumber the good - however, in your bid to weed out the bad, make sure you don't hurt the good.
IMO, i support sustainable "HELP" directed at education, capacity building etc. I usually don't do stuff like "business ideas", "marriage ceremonies" etc
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2013
tsmith: As he's to leave for naija today, he came friday to sleep over, so he cld pick the things. We went shopping together (so i cld drop him off at the bus station), only for him to be picking things for one contractor, himself, his sister etc and add to my lot at the till. WTF! He did it at 2 different stores and was saying some story abt expecting some transfers from nigeria that didnt come through. Why travel if u dont have enough money! I know he went out with my husband to pick plugs from Halfords, and i know that one wold have chopped his bananas well, as normally he is the one that falls to such pranks, but my BIL got me big time, now I wont even carry anyone for shopping again, take the bus abeg!

jibiti grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 12:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
nice story aniffy from the other side of the coin
cast your bread upon the waters u never know
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by bigheart2013(m): 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2013
I have been following the thread keenly. Isn't it amazing that 9 out of 10 writers here have ugly experiences helping someone living in Nigeria? I still don't want to believe that there's something in the water they drink or air they breathe in Nigeria that mixes up with the grey matter in the brain and the outputs are corruption, fraud, dishonesty, needy spirit, materialism....Nothing positive! politicians, Bank Managers, Bishops, Pastors, Imams, bus drivers, lecturers, students, etc none can be trusted.....

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Woged2005(f): 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
cheesy cheesy I am lafing my ass out here rolling on the floor, knocking things down!!! My colleagues are wondering what type of alcohol I drank. My own stories wif naijarians can make a full 1000 page book...but want to add that back in school my friend (female) went to her pastor to complain about another church member who duped her. After counseling her, the pastor took her to a hotel to meet someone for biz..turned out to be a hoax. He ended up 'drilling' her 'borehole' there. She came back very upset, feeling guilty. Fela sang "Overtake don overtake overtake o"... cheesy cheesy cheesy. Na who u go trust for naija!
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 1:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
Woged2005: :After counseling her, the pastor took her to a hotel to meet someone for biz..turned out to be a hoax. He ended up 'drilling' her 'borehole' there. She came back very upset, feeling guilty. Fela sang "Overtake don overtake overtake o"... cheesy cheesy cheesy. Na who u go trust for naija!

Mechonu how u know say she no want/like am? smiley

bigheart not everybody is bad
People are mentioning the bad experiences because that is the bent of your post
IF you request for good ones you will get
Make your decision and take responsibility for it
Everyone's condition is unique

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Woged2005(f): 2:31pm On Jan 07, 2013
biolabee:

Mechonu how u know say she no want/like am? smiley

cheesy cheesy ..hmm!..u no say sometime woman fit no want do....but after some pressure and promises by the man, the woman go bend, take am. After the man wipe his thing come fail for his promises, the woman go come dey upset well-well...come say. "chei..dis man don chop me mugu..". then begin tell her friends..dat one na im be d proper 419 against naija women o!..trespass 'drilling' on another man's 'land' without owner's permit, and without proper compensation to 'land-owner'...! cheesy cheesy.

This is the ultimate thread of the year! Nairalnaders don vex, charge dey offload their anger. I wan hear more jare! so na who come win...oversea givers or naija takers?..LMAO!!!
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by damiso(f): 2:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
aniffy4eva: Oh well, maybe i should speak from the other side of the divide. Some of these people really NEED the help, either from abroad or locally. Growing up was quite difficult for me and i had 2 sets of "cousins". Type A cousins had the mentality of majority of the people in this forum - "All Nigerians are unworthy of help... blah blah blah....", treated me like shiit .. cheesy (chai i don suffer...) but i took all in stride....and then i got a whiff of one of my cousins who lived in the US. I got in touch with him and the "HELP" was consistent throughout my school years. $100 now and again.. here and there...I'll call him the Type B cousin.

Fast forward a few years later... levels don change grin... i'm his (Type B cousin) kids' favourite uncle - always showing up with loads of toys etc. He's glad to be a part of my success story. We are VERY close and he's strong influence in my life!

Type A cousins are now struggling desperately hard to be "friends", adding me on FB, trying to have a "relationship" etc... it's just the christian in me that restrains me from giving them the "middle-finger salute" angry

@ OP.. what i'm trying to say is

Help as much as you can without causing your nuclear family harm.
Don't borrow people what you can't "dash"
There'll always be good and bad people and the "bad" ALWAYS outnumber the good - however, in your bid to weed out the bad, make sure you don't hurt the good.
IMO, i support sustainable "HELP" directed at education, capacity building etc. I usually don't do stuff like "business ideas", "marriage ceremonies" etc

Of course some people need help cos your tone about the 'people' on this thread suggests we think they dont.Will gladly continue to help anyone cos funny enough helping should not be just to family.We have a moral.compass in us that dictates we need to help people in more need than us be it giving yo charity donating to a food bank sponsoring a poor kid through school mentoring etc.

The issue most people or let me speak for myself is this dependence or should i say sense of entitlement.Did you read my post?Was my aunty not helped?Dare say i she even views her hubby as a meal ticket cos when my mum advises her wont u find something to do to bring in small income you hear my hubby wont allow me he does not want me to work bla bla and then turn round and say my mum is jealous cos she had to work for luxuries and she has them given to her by her husband.Like seriously.....Is Mac powder necessity?

Never again.Thank God my mum raised us right so none of my siblings are like that.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by aniffy4eva(m): 12:43am On Jan 08, 2013

Some comprehension problems? Let me fix that...

damiso:
Of course some people need help cos your tone about the 'people' on this thread suggests we think they dont.
aniffy4eva: Oh well, maybe i should speak from the other side of the divide. Some of these people really NEED the help, either from abroad or locally. Growing up was quite difficult for me and i had 2 sets of "cousins". Type A cousins had the mentality of majority of the people in this forum - "All Nigerians are unworthy of help... blah blah blah....",

Err... MAJORITY being the operative word here.

damiso:
The issue most people or let me speak for myself is this dependence or should i say sense of entitlement.Did you read my post?Was my aunty not helped?Dare say i she even views her hubby as a meal ticket cos when my mum advises her wont u find something to do to bring in small income you hear my hubby wont allow me he does not want me to work bla bla and then turn round and say my mum is jealous cos she had to work for luxuries and she has them given to her by her husband.Like seriously.....Is Mac powder necessity?

aniffy4eva:

I believe i qualified the kind of HELP i support.
As for your aunt, she clearly has issues tongue
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 1:29am On Jan 08, 2013
Peterwins: We should also note that the OP's experience is a mixed-grill of personal and business relationships. So a clear definition of the word "help" in this context should be taken into consideration.

I may not consider as "helping someone" in a business where I invested to make a profit but I will consider it as "help" if I did it without any form of payback.

It is "help" when you invest in a business for profit in order to provide employment/a way to make a living for any of the parties involved, even as you expect to benefit from the business through profits that are expected to come back to you as a result.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 08, 2013
Peterwins o lol..... so you want me to ship 2 containers as gift to people before its considered as 'Help'? Are you kidding? If somebody sells a N2M vehicle and transferred N1.5 .... did he work for the 500k? Or you think I'm mumu .

This is exactly how people see things back home, now I know..can you imagine? .... very sad.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
Kobojunkie:

It is "help" when you invest in a business for profit in order to provide employment/a way to make a living for any of the parties involved, even as you expect to benefit from the business through profits that are expected to come back to you as a result.

jidegirl12: Peterwins o lol..... so you want me to ship 2 containers as gift to people before its considered as 'Help'? Are you kidding? If somebody sells a N2M vehicle and transferred N1.5 .... did he work for the 500k? Or you think I'm mumu .

This is exactly how people see things back home, now I know..can you imagine? .... very sad.

Shipping 2 containers of vehicles for resale is strictly business. The use of the word "help" is a misnomer in some examples/experiences stated. There is a clear difference between charity and business. Let us not mix them.

For example, lending money to someone without interest can strictly be considered as "help" compared to lending money with interest. There is a need to put things in proper perspective.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Experience With Naija Rats (photo) / Gas Cooker For Sale.... / Baby Car Seat For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.