Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? (5029 Views)

How Do I Stop Feeling Ashamed Of My Husband / When Should Parents Stop Helping Their Children Financially? / Want To Have More Sex? Men, Stop Helping With The Chores:31.1.13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by bigheart2013(m): 2:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
Please does anyone have the same experience as me?

1.I’ve opened three different business outfits in Nigeria (a business center, digital photo lab, transport biz with 4 buses) that all wound down due to theft, dishonesty and fraud by employees.

2.I have helped about 5 unemployed relatives in Nigeria to start businesses either by loaning them money or shipping them goods to sell. Once they got the money/goods they started the usually cock and bull stories and excuses. Today we are all enemies because they either can’t or refused to pay back.

3.My old uncle I trusted to help me fence my house in Nigeria ( a pastor) turned it into a private business; he used N2mil to fence one plot of land in the village.

4.I recommended a graduate female friend for employment at a friend’s company at Lagos, she embezzled the company’s funds and bolted away. My friend now views me with contempt.

5.The last straw is that my own 24yrs old little sister (unemployed graduate) has abandoned a business I just started for her and followed a mere boy who has no job and not even a place of his own, yet promising to marry her. She’s now at war with me.

In all I’ve lost over $350,000 dollars in the past five years trying to help one person or the other in Nigeria. I am considering a resolution to have a ‘blanket’ shutdown (no texts, no calls, no emails) never to help anyone living in Nigeria with finance again but my girlfriend is a Christian and keeps preaching to me to forgive and keep doing good for the sake of God. What’s your own experience helping people living in Nigeria and how did you avoid this type of situations? I live in the USA now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
I'm very sorry about your predicament.
It seems you have violated one basic rule of business success which is "business done based on trust and a proven track record and not on personal relationships alone be it friend or family).

You could have invested your money in an LLC or Partnership business with proven track record as a silent partner and keep smiling to the bank each quarter.

Do your due diligence before parting with your money next time and don't let emotional attachment cloud your judgement and who and what type of business to do.

Finally, if you feel like helping someone, why don't your approach a charitable organisation? There are blessings attached to that as well.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 06, 2013
sad
sad sad
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by eduson33(m): 2:16pm On Jan 06, 2013
^great advice , never put a stop in helping people..the good ones will appreciate you likewise GOD..but do that in a wise way..one love
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
You better stop all those kind of help and start a family and help yourself ,they dont give a Bleep about you.Which kind of reward are you expecting from GOD.seems you are picking the money sef
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 06, 2013
To be honest, I can't blame you for wanting to turn your back on Nigerians in Nigeria.

I've had similar experiences.

My eldest sister too has fallen foul of our kid sister (she's 36). She's the only one who was born in Nigeria, and it would have been a simple issue to get her to the UK as a dependent, whilst she was under 18 (as we were all orphaned quite young). My elder sister sent her money to sort out her passport, visa and stuff. She blew the money, and claimed she was "duped" by a "visa agent."

My elder sister sent her more money, and the same thing happened - this time, she said it wasn't enough, she needed to pay certain people. Again, it never happened.

Again, my elder sister wanted to open a Dom account, our kid sister said she could do it. She was sent money back in 2010, and till date, no Dom account, no money.

Lastly, she was sent £500 worth of goods to sell; the idea was she made a profit, and sent the balance back, then more goods could be sent. So building up a business that would benefit herself. This was at the tail end of 2010. She sold the goods, and never sent a penny back. She claims "her customers are owing her." For two years??

I have leant money to Nigerians here in the UK; at one time when I was still a student (back in 1993) I was struggling. A friend of mine told me his mother back in Nigeria had to have a life-saving operation, and needed £1,000. He said the full amount was £6,500, but he'd raised the bulk, and just needed £1,000. I didn't have the money. I used my rent to help him out, he promised me he would pay me back three weeks later when his student grant came through.

It never happened. It turned out the university he was meant to be studying at was a con. He wasn't a student at UEL Stratford, he was a hustler. I couldn't get hold of him, and ended up losing my accommodation. I was homeless for 8 weeks, and luckily still had my old beat-up '83 Toyota Carina wagon, which became my home, till I sorted myself out. It was winter too, and so cold, there was ice forming on the inside of the windows.

I later learned he'd done the same to 3 other students from my faculty - 1 Ghanaian, 2 English. His mother was never ill, and he was last seen in Manchester, driving a 1991 BMW 325i M-Tec Sport. Bought with money we'd leant him out of an act of kindness, and he'd just run away.

It was a hard lesson learnt, and I'm wiser. I know where he lives now, and ran into him back in '95, but I couldn't be bothered to ask him why he'd done what he did. I didn't ask him for my money either, despite the fact I could have seized his car, sold it at auction and given him the money, less my £1,000. I felt I'd leave him to God. Anyone that can lie that his mom's at death's door to get money out of well-meaning folk has no honour, and he probably needs the money more than I do.

Never again.

9 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by eduson33(m): 2:36pm On Jan 06, 2013
You story silenced me...neverthless,we must keep helping others..that's my own
Siena: To be honest, I can't blame you for wanting to turn your back on Nigerians in Nigeria.

I've had similar experiences.

My eldest sister too has fallen foul of our kid sister (she's 36). She's the only one who was born in Nigeria, and it would have been a simple issue to get her to the UK as a dependent, whilst she was under 18 (as we were all orphaned quite young). My elder sister sent her money to sort out her passport, visa and stuff. She blew the money, and claimed she was "duped" by a "visa agent."

My elder sister sent her more money, and the same thing happened - this time, she said it wasn't enough, she needed to pay certain people. Again, it never happened.

Again, my elder sister wanted to open a Dom account, our kid sister said she could do it. She was sent money back in 2010, and till date, no Dom account, no money.

Lastly, she was sent £500 worth of goods to sell; the idea was she made a profit, and sent the balance back, then more goods could be sent. So building up a business that would benefit herself. This was at the tail end of 2010. She sold the goods, and never sent a penny back. She claims "her customers are owing her." For two years??

I have leant money to Nigerians here in the UK; at one time when I was still a student (back in 1993) I was struggling. A friend of mine told me his mother back in Nigeria had to have a life-saving operation, and needed £1,000. He said the full amount was £6,500, but he'd raised the bulk, and just needed £1,000. I didn't have the money. I used my rent to help him out, he promised me he would pay me back three weeks later when his student grant came through.

It never happened. It turned out the university he was meant to be studying at was a con. He wasn't a student at UEL Stratford, he was a hustler. I couldn't get hold of him, and ended up losing my accommodation. I was homeless for 8 weeks, and luckily still had my old beat-up '83 Toyota Carina wagon, which became my home, till I sorted myself out. It was winter too, and so cold, there was ice forming on the inside of the windows.

I later learned he'd done the same to 3 other students from my faculty - 1 Ghanaian, 2 English. His mother was never ill, and he was last seen in Manchester, driving a 1991 BMW 325i M-Tec Sport. Bought with money we'd leant him out of an act of kindness, and he'd just run away.

It was a hard lesson learnt, and I'm wiser. I know where he lives now, and ran into him back in '95, but I couldn't be bothered to ask him why he'd done what he did. I didn't ask him for my money either, despite the fact I could have seized his car, sold it at auction and given him the money, less my £1,000. I felt I'd leave him to God. Anyone that can lie that his mom's at death's door to get money out of well-meaning folk has no honour, and he probably needs the money more than I do.

Never again.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Odunnu: 2:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
Abeg, dont even let me start my story. BTW, I live in Nigeria and it is still this bad. its a terrible trend among us

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
@Sienna ...I'm so so sorry about your kid sister. Don't forget this popular parlance. "Heaven only helps those who help themselves". You can only take a horse to the river but you can never force it to drink off it.

P.S
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Enoquin(f): 3:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
angry angry

My Lawyer friend who moved to US two years back was chatting with me recently and suddenly, he said;

Friend: Eno, I am leaving BBM...will no longer subscribe

Me: Why not?

Friend: They are killing me

Me: Who is?

Friend: Your fellow countrymen keep calling me...even the ones that rarely spoke to me back when I was in Nigeria

Me: Well, it's not a bad thing if people call you to wish you well na...what's your own self? (Emoticon with tongue hanging out)

Friend: you don't understand...insane requests! Even the rich ones that are richer than me keep calling me asking for dollars...

Me: LMAO...really? You self too dey pose for your dp na...but seriously, have you not told them that you don't pick money from the streets...? And besides, why didn't you tell me earlier, I should have joined in the queue; my voice would have been the loudest! You fall my hand...kai! I no sharp oh...

Friend: Witch!

Me: Wizard! But seriously, you have to be firm...you know how the Nigerian mentality is...take, take and take...

Friend: I have but they think I am trying to be stingy...I am leaving BBM finally because of them, changing my line, and will only be on my FB...will call you with my new line...but please if anyone calls you asking...you do not know, abeg!

Me: Aye...aye...captain
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Rotmyt: 3:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
When I was in my 4th year in uni, I gave out clothes worth 200,000 to 2 close friends in financial need to sell.one paid 50,000 and relocted to south africa. The other has vanished into thin air. They ran me out of business in no time after 3 years of struggles.

There are dishonest people everywhere but that hasn't stopped me from helping those who I can. My watchword now is "never borrow anyone what you can't afford to dash the person"

4 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by juman(m): 4:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
Any help to guys in nigeria count it as gift. Because very probably it will disappear into thin air.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 5:39pm On Jan 06, 2013
Don't stop if you can help (have the means) but be more sensitive to people's requests so that they do not take you for granted. You cannot grant everyone's requests. You should also realise that one bad apple spoils the......

However do not let anyone's request rob you of your peace, wealth, happiness, kindheartedness, etc.

I am still fond of helping people despite bad experiences which have taught me how to separate genuine requests from deceptive ones.

Wish you all the best.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by damiso(f): 5:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
I can so feel the OP.Had so many similar experiences and the one that annoys me the most is so called 'big ' boys and girls in my case who say to you lai lai me i cant live in the UK what do they do there God forbid and then in the same vein say i like this your bag can i have it angry.Am like .People richer than you o.

All in all i will still help if i can but never again will i give out what i cannot afford to give out.If i help someone i want to just forget about it so any business dealing i have to transact in Nigeria must be one i can physically monitor.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by olu4life(m): 5:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
Rotmyt: There are dishonest people everywhere but that hasn't stopped me from helping those who I can. My watchword now is "never borrow anyone what you can't afford to dash the person"
Thats the koko,also use that watchword so as not to have heart attack.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 6:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
We should also note that the OP's experience is a mixed-grill of personal and business relationships. So a clear definition of the word "help" in this context should be taken into consideration.

I may not consider as "helping someone" in a business where I invested to make a profit but I will consider it as "help" if I did it without any form of payback.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
my dad first went to uk in 1985, he wasnt intersted in settlin jst flexin, he was once a mko abiola boy, d guy helped 3 of my mum bro to uk nd germany, help about 20 oda pple to various gand countries, i remember as a kid many pple wud bring der visa forms for advice and acc running, d guy was so generous, till d guy had a business setback, he had to go to uk to recover, workin for a friend who was an estate agent, afta savin for like 2 years business started again importin from uk nd china, one of his product had huge demand in abuja, so from uk he sent d medical good to niger, his best friend volunteerd to help him sell it, dat was 2001 d good was worth 9mil big money den, after his suposse friend sold d goods, my fada recieved nt even one naira, d guy cooked up expenses, hotel nd feeding 1m, his first born needs kidney transplant 3m etc, my papa fr all his kindness, get ntin in return, as for me i stingy pass anything, since hv been in uk me no send anybody, wicked pple everywhere

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by heavensown: 7:57pm On Jan 06, 2013
My simple rule, be it Nigeria, UK, US wherever, never give or lend money out that you can not afford to let go. Simple....keeps everybody happy and the hurt is easier to manage. After a few lessons, I learnt that. If I get my money back fine, and if I don't fine. God will only reward me for giving. Secondly, when doing business even with a family member treat it like you would treat any neutral business transaction. Spell out a contract, keep records and define the implications.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Gambrosia: 9:06pm On Jan 06, 2013
Nigerians are not HELP-ABLE!
They are like bottomless pits! Nigerian problems HAVE NO 'APPY H-ENDINGS O! grin
I don't bother. . . I only give gifts!
No loans or falling for that crap of 'helping to start-up a business'! kiss

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by eduson33(m): 9:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
wickedness grin
Gambrosia: Nigerians are not HELP-ABLE!
They are like bottomless pits! Nigerian problems HAVE NO 'APPY H-ENDINGS O! grin
I don't bother. . . I only give gifts!
No loans or falling for that crap of 'helping to start-up a business'! kiss
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by MMotimo: 9:17pm On Jan 06, 2013
Depends what kind of help. Unfortunately, the "teach a man to fish instead of giving him fish" kind can be difficult to execute in Naija. It's easier to dash what you can and don't delve into business partnerships or establish a business for anyone.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
[b]Op you are just arriving at a conclusion many have made already. Sending money to Nigeria is pointless, foolish, unrealistic, and more important, not needed. Read some wishy-washy claims made by some nairaland members who put themselves forward as millionaires. They say things like, "guys are making it here in naija o" "i sponsor my relatives abroad" "London is a shyte hole for frustrated Nigerian immigrants".

Okay i agree the London bit but just cos i hate the little englanders and have a bias for the bigots white working class who blame immigrants for their predicaments. That said, the ones i really pity are the loud mouths who think cos they made dubious millions in 'father land', then somehow the diaspora community cannot measure up with them.

My advice is, CHOP your money and raise your family well abroad. State in your WILL that you should be buried in a cemetery abroad when you die. Never you get a headache for Nigeria cos you would be disappointed. Finally, i hope you married a Caucasian or a very decent black American/European. If you marry all these CAJAD FAKE HAIR wearing Naija women, then am sorry you are hooked in misery for life. Okay that last bit got some frowning already but wetin concern me? I frown too angry [/b]

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by eagleeye2: 10:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
I believe that the act of begging is embedded in some peoples DNA, it is hereditary.

Anybody with an atom of self respect will really cringe at the thought of begging someone else for anything, unless it is ones parent. Even at that, at a certain stage begging your parents becomes a bit difficult if you have self respect.

I for one, I have never recieved any alms from a friend abroad. They call me (because they keep changing numbers) or I chat with them on social media. And that is why, almost all of them try to hook up with me when they are in the country.

Many Nigerians don't have self respect.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tusky44: [b]Op you are just arriving at a conclusion many have made already. Sending money to Nigeria is pointless, foolish, unrealistic, and more important, not needed. Read some wishy-washy claims made by some nairaland members who put themselves forward as millionaires. They say things like, "guys are making it here in naija o" "i sponsor my relatives abroad" "London is a shyte hole for frustrated Nigerian immigrants".

Okay i agree the London bit but just cos i hate the little englanders and have a bias for the bigots white working class who blame immigrants for their predicaments. That said, the ones i really pity are the loud mouths who think cos they made dubious millions in 'father land', then somehow the diaspora community cannot measure up with them.

My advice is, CHOP your money and raise your family well abroad. State in your WILL that you should be buried in a cemetery abroad when you die. Never you get a headache for Nigeria cos you would be disappointed. Finally, i hope you married a Caucasian or a very decent black American/European. If you marry all these CAJAD FAKE HAIR wearing Naija women, then am sorry you are hooked in misery for life. Okay that last bit got some frowning already but wetin concern me? I frown too angry [/b]

Dont talk about Nigerian women that way,thats the choice you have made.live and die there,dont come back
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Meegadough: 11:02pm On Jan 06, 2013
Dumb
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
Op,I feel ur pain,but not peculiar to u alone,but generally,I've learnt never to stress myself to help people,at the end,you will get bitten.

Precisely oct 7th 2012 a friend called me up,very early begging for 60,000 naira,that I should loan him,saying the wife needed it for caesarean operation,I was touched,that I drove down to give him 50000. Can you believe till now,he didn't even bother calling me thanking me,or to explain why the delay in the repayment.(I had to call him last week to ask how far the operation went,he was just blabbing,with nothing to say.) I felt bitter,cos I feel like a fool to him. I have several cases of this people inconsiderate attitude. That shouldn't stop you from helping people,just put limitation to it.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
Have 2 numbers ,the one you dont pick at all once its a Nigerian number
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
olas2u:

Dont talk about Nigerian women that way,thats the choice you have made.live and die there,dont come back

You ba live and die in Naija. Don't come out undecided
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 11:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
Make I no yarn cos you wont believe what I have gone through in the hands of Nigerians
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tusky44:

You ba live and die in Naija. Don't come out undecided

Nigerian women have really dealt with you to hate them so much.
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:01am On Jan 07, 2013
^^^

Abeg shift commot from my dormot haba! No find my mouth o abeg. Go to bed and forget about Tusky44 cos am not your husband (if u be woman) neither am i your wife (if you be man). I attack naija women with FAKE HAIR so if you are one of them, view my profile picture and CHOP AM grin you never see mad man b4
Re: Should I Stop Helping Anyone Living In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 07, 2013
olas2u: Dont talk about Nigerian women that way,thats the choice you have made.live and die there,dont come back

Did you read properly, and understand what he's trying to get across? Or does verbal abuse simply come naturally to you?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Me And My Husband Syndrome / My Experience With Naija Rats (photo) / Marrying A Man That Already Has Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.