Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

How Do You Deal With Procastination?? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Do You Deal With Procastination?? (7361 Views)

Three Ways To Deal With Arrogant People / How To Deal With Critics And Rejection / Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone And Deal With The Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Blackbody20(m): 3:25pm On Jan 07, 2013
Its hard to deal with procrastination. But with much discipline and determination, it can be reduced.
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by k9ine(m): 3:26pm On Jan 07, 2013
I deal wt it by telling myself, " if u don't do it now, u will spend more to do it. Take action now."
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Davijunson: 3:35pm On Jan 07, 2013
anelka101: shotup no be you alone, cant you see its a little problem that affects everybody, if you only want to watch without contributing, who will? and how will we find the lasting solution to the problem
and you, Wat have u contributed now?
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Davijunson: 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2013
k9ine: I deal wt it by telling myself, " if u don't do it now, u will spend more to do it. Take action now."
dat's a gud one.
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by An0nimus: 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2013
I'm in a similar position and here is how I tackle mine;
Somedays I just wake up and write a to-do list and if I don't finish I don't relax. Other times I tell myself to 'do it at once and move to the next/forget about it). The thing with procastination is we tend to think so much about doing (and postponing) we don't actually do much. Don't think, just do.
A wise man does at once what a fool does at last
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
LeBlack:

I found some tips that helped me from this article: How Can I Stop Procrastinating? Hope it helps

Thanks for the link...but I have more than enough links and foreign books on it.

I was thinking if you guys had "Local"(and when i mean local, things you have done and have worked for you) practical ideas...
Zico0: When we procrastinate there is a setback. To solve procrastination;
STEP 1: if yu procrastinate yu shuld be able to identify the setback (consequence) that follows i.e beware of failures and the procrastinations that led to them.

Step 2: thay way, with practice you can envision setbacks,calculate the risks and determine if you can afford the consequence if yu slack.
By this, you can control procrastination. For me i tell myself, "i go rush do this one, free the next one tie 2moro" and it motivates me. Its just my theory by the way.

hmm...thanks.

Am also trying same here...but I get halfway into writing and 15 minutes later I am not motivated to write and next thing am telling myself you aren't in the mood to write, maybe you leave it till later..

And my own procrastination dwells mostly on fear of success. I keep thinking and thinking things through to get a perfect picture in my mind without getting to the actual work...

Am trying to set deadlines nowadays for a section of work i must have finish, but i guess this ain't working also...

But all the same thanks to those that have commented. Please keep it coming..
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Mayowura: 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2013
The solution is when procastination arises, just stand up and do the task immediately. Just stand up and do the task when procastination arises.
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by WarHorse1(m): 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2013
Sadly, I am a victim of procrastination. It is something you have to manage all your life. The time I have overcome it, I did one or more of the following:

1. Do one thing at a time and that done well. When you have loads of ideas in your head, you fall victim of overloaded circuit, one idea distracts the other. You must fight it. You may want to read this http://web.mit.edu/mitpostdocs/documents/OverloadedCircuits.pdf

2. Every morning, take a sheet of paper and with pencil (never with a Biro), write down as much as you want to achieve. You know which is more important, start with that and when you finish, tick it as done. Knowing that you have done something does encourage you to do more.

3. The physical state of your room, office or house matters. Take time to arrange it as organized and neat as possible. The result can be tremendous.

4. Delegate. Whether it is part of the task or all of the task, if these is someone else that can do the job, delegate it. Even if it means paying for the job to be done, just do it. Sometimes, the cost of the work not done is more than the fee you pay for the work to be done by someone else. In my experience, procrastination results from discouragements over necessary work that lay waiting to be done.

5. Get some speed at work. How good are you with Microsoft Office. Shockingly, over 80% of workers know only 20% of the capabilities of Microsoft Office applications especially Excel and Word - Yes Word; you think you know MS Word? you gat no idea. Excel is worse for many. Yet a grounded knowledge of these applications can take off a whole lot of work off your shoulders.

6. Use things like watching a film, drinking your favorite wine, browsing nairaland, s.e_x, clubbling - such and such as rewards for accomplishing your goals. Tell our wife that if I don't show that i have done this or that, deny me of "it" (LOL but I am serious) or don't allow me watch the football match. Then work to satisfy the requirement and then enjoy your reward.

7. For entrepreneurial ventures, do not wait until you your hit it perfect. There is almost never a perfect. Change will always negate yesterday's perfect. So start from wherever and left change define perfection overtime. Example, the website need not be a killer website before you go live in your business. There may even not be one in order to make your first couple of sales.

It is not easy, but it is worth it. The victory over procrastination can be sweet with a lot of psychic income.Too many hot ideas are germinate but die with the heat of procrastination. If I remember more, I will post it.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by escobar07(m): 5:44pm On Jan 07, 2013
since procrastination is the thief of time, i have decide to put it in prison.
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by WarHorse1(m): 5:46pm On Jan 07, 2013
why not try record your thoughts talking and later get someone to pen them down. You handset can be the recorder. You may just be good with reviewing it and then NEXT ON THE LINE!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 07, 2013
War Horse: why not try record your thoughts talking and later get someone to pen them down. You handset can be the recorder. You may just be good with reviewing it and then NEXT ON THE LINE!

Thanks so much..yeah.

I am doing that already and it's cool. Wow! Never even though about that before!

Need to read up on voice recording for effective writing...

Keep them coming please...
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2013
War Horse: Sadly, I am a victim of procrastination. It is something you have to manage all your life. The time I have overcome it, I did one or more of the following:

1. Do one thing at a time and that done well. When you have loads of ideas in your head, you fall victim of overloaded circuit, one idea distracts the other. You must fight it. You may want to read this http://web.mit.edu/mitpostdocs/documents/OverloadedCircuits.pdf

2. Every morning, take a sheet of paper and with pencil (never with a Biro), write down as much as you want to achieve. You know which is more important, start with that and when you finish, tick it as done. Knowing that you have done something does encourage you to do more.

3. The physical state of your room, office or house matters. Take time to arrange it as organized and neat as possible. The result can be tremendous.

4. Delegate. Whether it is part of the task or all of the task, if these is someone else that can do the job, delegate it. Even if it means paying for the job to be done, just do it. Sometimes, the cost of the work not done is more than the fee you pay for the work to be done by someone else. In my experience, procrastination results from discouragements over necessary work that lay waiting to be done.

5. Get some speed at work. How good are you with Microsoft Office. Shockingly, over 80% of workers know only 20% of the capabilities of Microsoft Office applications especially Excel and Word - Yes Word; you think you know MS Word? you gat no idea. Excel is worse for many. Yet a grounded knowledge of these applications can take off a whole lot of work off your shoulders.

6. Use things like watching a film, drinking your favorite wine, browsing nairaland, s.e_x, clubbling - such and such as rewards for accomplishing your goals. Tell our wife that if I don't show that i have done this or that, deny me of "it" (LOL but I am serious) or don't allow me watch the football match. Then work to satisfy the requirement and then enjoy your reward.

7. For entrepreneurial ventures, do not wait until you your hit it perfect. There is almost never a perfect. Change will always negate yesterday's perfect. So start from wherever and left change define perfection overtime. Example, the website need not be a killer website before you go live in your business. There may even not be one in order to make your first couple of sales.

It is not easy, but it is worth it. The victory over procrastination can be sweet with a lot of psychic income.Too many hot ideas are germinate but die with the heat of procrastination. If I remember more, I will post it.

I do agree with all you just stated.

Am setting up tasks and deadlines that go with them now .

Thumbs up bro!.. I hope I can be disciplined to follow this through.

but lol@ the bolded...wife?? chai am still a young person oo... grin
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by MissOpe(f): 7:09pm On Jan 07, 2013
The Reason why some of us procastinate is most times due to the fact that we are addicted to social sites like ,NAIRALAND, FACEBOOK,,, 2GO,,, WhatSAPP ..ET AL..
Infact some people are on this site right now..me for example ..when in actual fact we ARE SUPPOSED to be doing something else...
INSTEAD OF DOING WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSED 2 Do... WE FIND OURSELVES SURFING D INTERNET LIKE IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE OF EXISTENCE...
IF THIS APPLIES TO U.....I'll SUGGEST U BUY A PHONE DAT DOESN'T BROWSE... IF U HAVE TO RESEARCH ANYTHING...GOING TO THE CAFE WULD DO....
U HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO DO DAT WHC U HAVE IN MIND... PLUS U MUST BE DISCIPLINED ...HOPE DIS HELPS

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by simdam500(m): 7:35pm On Jan 07, 2013
Still findin it hard to deal wit ooo
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by skoltic12: 8:49pm On Jan 07, 2013
Apt

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by star4(f): 10:17pm On Jan 07, 2013
Hmmm I'll reply later tongue
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by lagcity(m): 10:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
^^^^
boy, that stage 5 is what i'm very familiar with. it is 2am and 5-page paper is due in six hours. fvck! adrenaline is released, blood pressure shoots up, sweat is pouring all over. i'm freaking out. God, deliver me from this and I will never ever ever eveeeeer procrastinate again! grin na lie, it will happen again. it is something I have been fighting but i'm a work in progress. procrastination, e no go better for you. smh.

ps: nairaland has also ruined my life. Seun, I will sue your pants off!
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 08, 2013
For me, its all about keeping a list and being able to mark it off as well.

I normally tell myself that I must finish all the stuff on the list

before I can allow myself to procrastinate.

So in a way, procrastination serves more as a “reward” for being so productive.
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by blahcknproud: 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2013
I bought a Diary and got a pen! Planned everyday's activities and followed it like a Zombie.
Re: How Do You Deal With Procastination?? by DOD1: 10:58am On Jan 09, 2013
#80million:
*speechless*

Thank U Father!
I can't believe i came first!

*takes akeregbe, and fills it with palmwine, then sits down to watch the rest of the thread*

Lol @ akeregbe

(1) (2) (Reply)

Website For Downloading Novels For Free / Nnedi Okorafor Called A Witch By A Nigerian Man Via E-mail / How Much Can Writing A Secondary School Textbook Fetch Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.