Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC (29314 Views)

How To Open & Play Java Games And Applications On Ur Laptop And Desktop / How To Disable Start-up Applications On Your Computer / Browse On Your Pc Using Your BlackBerry As A Modem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Afolayan123: 1:13pm On Jan 16, 2013
pDude:

So you still been dey live for ya papa house tongue
is anything bad in staying in one's parent house
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by RedLight1: 1:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
Odunnu:
Oh, is that it? No, I dont, actually. Thanx.
not movies alone... All applications, software, musics, ebooks, magazine... Infact everytin u need for ur pc are there
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by RedLight1: 1:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Hehehehe. . . you know what they say about ladies and tech grin

Meanwhile, I hardly download from torrents but when I do I use either FlashGet or GetRight, both normal download managers that support torrent downloads

Are the torrent clients faster for downloading torrents than the normal download managers? undecided
yes... Becoz it was designed to handle only torrent files
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 16, 2013
Afolayan123: is anything bad in staying in one's parent house

Who said anything about it being bad

Do you still live in ya papa's house
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by imperiouxx(m): 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
1. Mozilla or Google Chrome (without browsing the internet I'd be sick) grin
2. Vuze (lot of many Gigabytes downloading from torrent sites at once such as advanced games, 3D movies, applications etc) cool
3. Internet Download Manager (IDM) newest version (for all my click-on-link and on-site downloads and music downloads) cool
4. Microsoft office (yea, for assignments and research data analysis sometimes) angry
5. PowerISO (I need to mount any game .iso I downloaded through torrent sites) wink

Got my 1TB external hard disk exhausted with lots of advanced games, 3D movies and applications. embarassed
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
yusuf01: In no particular order

Microsoft Security Essentials (the best free antivirus out there)

VLC (no more to talk about)

Chrome - ever since I started using chrome, I've never used †ЂΞ mediocre browser called firefox

Adobe Reader - of course, I still read pdf

Lock a Folder - what a way to hide files u don't want in open glare

Mini Bin - I love my desktop clean, I delete all icons and ∂α† includes the recycle bin

Recuva - recovers deleted files even if they are 6 months old

The little I can remember.
_
FINALLY!!! At last somebody agrees with me that Firefox is CRAP!!!
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by spikesC(m): 11:52pm On Jan 16, 2013
SimonAndal:
_

lol...i no fit shout. don't worry, we developers know the use. wink
Chrome is just fast, but full of bugs

1 Like

Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 6:52am On Jan 17, 2013
I installed YZExplorer from giveawayoftheday.com yesterday and was very impressed , y can't microsoft buy a company like this and replace the useless window explorer
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by toria1980(f): 8:48am On Jan 17, 2013
pDude:

go to www.kat.ph it has all you will need.

ALL HAIL TORRENT FREAKS !!!! grin grin grin
kiss
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by wonlasewonimi: 11:48am On Jan 17, 2013
SimonAndal:
_

It's because you don't use it. It's arguably the best browser out there if you factor the extensions and plugins. Some people will die if there's no firefox!

edit:

Thank your stars the mod hid my post.

You using firefox to browse doesn't count...software testers, IT analysts and programmers won't call it CRAP!
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
wonlasewonimi:

It's because you don't use it. It's arguably the best browser out there if you factor the extensions and plugins. Some people will die if there's no firefox!

edit:

Thank your stars the mod hid my post.

You using firefox to browse doesn't count...software testers, IT analysts and programmers won't call it CRAP!
_
In the interest of peace, I'll agree to disagree. It's your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it.....wrong though, it might be.
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by femi4: 3:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
If its just for browsing.....firefox is crap
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Maleeq(m): 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2013
femi4: If its just for browsing.....firefox is crap
I'd really like to know what's crappy about it? And please, don't start listing the benchmark results put together by people paid to slander competition and/or blow the trumpet in favour of their preference online.

@Topic
1. Banshee (Media Player)
2. Firefox
3. VirtualBox
4. OpenOffice
5. qBittorent
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by femi4: 7:27pm On Jan 17, 2013
Maleeq:
I'd really like to know what's crappy about it? And please, don't start listing the benchmark results put together by people paid to slander competition and/or blow the trumpet in favour of their preference online.

@Topic
1. Banshee (Media Player)
2. Firefox
3. VirtualBox
4. OpenOffice
5. qBittorent
it freezes with opening of many tabs. Chrome doesn't behave like that

Always requesting to add one plug in or the other when accessing some website. Infact, its quite heavy when compared to chrome
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by spikesC(m): 7:37pm On Jan 17, 2013
femi4: it freezes with opening of many tabs. Chrome doesn't behave like that

Always requesting to add one plug in or the other when accessing some website. Infact, its quite heavy when compared to chrome

brother, you don't know what is wrong with your browser...shikena
You should just ask questions and you would be clarified
Chrome freezes more than firefox in the same environment because of how chrome was developed.
And you notice the freezes because of your ram, pls upgrade.

The only plugin, which is normal, to be asked is a flash player plugin and that is because most browsers doesn't come with it.

Yes, firefox is heavy (if i even understand your own definition of heavy) and that is what it was built as. If you use firefox like me, then you'll know what is heaviness.
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Kslib(m): 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2013
Pls guys,what other video player is better than vlc.. I dont know why the .avi movies i downloaded from my mobile phone and transferred to my system are not very clear.. I tried adjusting the vlc settings,but still the picture quality is poor,but when i pplay via my phone,it's very clear...
Is it cos it aint torrent or cos i transferred it from my phone to system or it just has to do with the .avi extension or what??...
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 4:48pm On Jan 18, 2013
Kslib: Pls guys,what other video player is better than vlc.. I dont know why the .avi movies i downloaded from my mobile phone and transferred to my system are not very clear..
Are you sure you didn't download the scale down mobile version for screen size 320x240 or similar. The pixels may fit perfectly on the mobile screen but stretched and blurred on a wider screen.
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by semid4lyfe(m): 5:04pm On Jan 18, 2013
ITbomb: I installed YZExplorer from giveawayoftheday.com yesterday and was very impressed , y can't microsoft buy a company like this and replace the useless window explorer

XYplorer you mean? Anyway, that's what I'm using and it's far better than windows explorer. Xplorer2 Pro is also very good.
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 5:15pm On Jan 18, 2013
semid4lyfe:

XYplorer you mean? Anyway, that's what I'm using and it's far better than windows explorer. Xplorer2 Pro is also very good.
Correct , XYplorer,
The only small downside is that the very first start takes like 5 sec longer than Window explorer
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by semid4lyfe(m): 5:49pm On Jan 18, 2013
ITbomb:
Correct , XYplorer,
The only small downside is that the very first start takes like 5 sec longer than Window explorer

Didn't notice, I dare say it was even faster than Windows Explorer first time I ran it.

Are you using the trial version or the full PRO version?
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 6:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Didn't notice, I dare say it was even faster than Windows Explorer first time I ran it.

Are you using the trial version or the full PRO version?
Pro version
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by semid4lyfe(m): 7:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
Same here.

What's your OS. . .Windows 7 or 8?
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Kslib(m): 7:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
ITbomb:
Are you sure you didn't download the scale down mobile version for screen size 320x240 or similar. The pixels may fit perfectly on the mobile screen but stretched and blurred on a wider screen.
Exactly... I tried reducing the zooming but the least zoom was still stretched.. Now i know the problem, I downloaded the movie from movies mobiles.net via phone..
But i have one question though.. Why do torrent files like movies stretch to 700mb or 500mb etc when you try downloading movies via laptop instead of the normal 12smting or 100mb. Cos it seems the best way to get my movies fit my vlc,is to use utorrent to download them.. And considering the nigerian situation where ordinary 500mb is valued like blood,i think i will just stick to watching on my phone...
Am new into dis stuffs cos i bought my system just recently,you can still explain to me better thanks..
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 10:08pm On Jan 18, 2013
semid4lyfe: Same here.

What's your OS. . .Windows 7 or 8?
Well erm . . .
Vista.
Don't you dare tell me that is the problem cos I'm using version 11.9 Pro
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
Kslib:
Now i know the problem, I downloaded the movie from movies mobiles.net via phone..

But i have one question though.. Why do torrent files like movies stretch to 700mb or 500mb etc when you try downloading movies via laptop instead of the normal 12smting or 100mb..
Now u know the problem.
A normal full screen 60mins + movie is minimum of 500mb depending on the codec use in compressing and saving it while mobile format is roughly 1mins to 1mb but the higher the quality and sound channel , the larger the mb.
So what u have in ur phone are mobile versions of the movie fitted for a small screen.
Google 'what is pixel' .
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by Kslib(m): 10:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
ITbomb:
Now u know the problem.
A normal full screen 60mins + movie is minimum of 500mb depending on the codec use in compressing and saving it while mobile format is roughly 1mins to 1mb but the higher the quality and sound channel , the larger the mb.
So what u have in ur phone are mobile versions of the movie fitted for a small screen.
Google 'what is pixel' .
Of course,i know what pixel is nah?? Thanks anyway..
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by sod09(m): 11:55pm On Jan 18, 2013
pls i nid srial noba nd email for idm

1 Like

Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by semid4lyfe(m): 8:24am On Jan 19, 2013
It's 2013 and you're using Vista, not even Windows 7 undecided

Well, apps run better/faster on Windows 7 and even "better-er" on Windows 8.
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by ITbomb(m): 8:41am On Jan 19, 2013
semid4lyfe: It's 2013 and you're using Vista, not even Windows 7 undecided

Well, apps run better/faster on Windows 7 and even "better-er" on Windows 8.
I knew that is what you would say and it is true of course but I'm stuck with my Vista.
I have very important applications mostly industry based which I got during training programs and can only be replaced at great cost. I just can't risk an upgrade in case some programs do not work again.
What I need is a second lappy preferably Window 8, as for this one, it is just too loaded and stable for any experimental upgrade
Re: The Five Most Important Applications On Your PC by denzel2009: 9:41am On Jan 19, 2013
ITbomb:
I knew that is what you would say and it is true of course but I'm stuck with my Vista.
I have very important applications mostly industry based which I got during training programs and can only be replaced at great cost. I just can't risk an upgrade in case some programs do not work again.
What I need is a second lappy preferably Window 8, as for this one, it is just too loaded and stable for any experimental upgrade

Just run a windows 7 upgrade advisor, it would highlight applications that are compatible with win 7 on your computer...you just might be lucky.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Microsoft Africa Development Center In Ikoyi To Shut Down / Hp Pavillion Dv6000 Entertainment Pc Notebook (xp Driver) / Removing Desktop.in Permanently In Windows 8 And 8.1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.