Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Problems With The Theory Of Evolution - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Problems With The Theory Of Evolution (2347 Views)

A Much Needed Explanation of Evolution / The Inconsistences Of The Theories Of Evolution / Chris Oyakhilome’s Theory Of Alcoholism And Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2008
I stumbled upon a criticism of the theory of evolution. I have listed some of the salient points of the document below. I do hope the evolutionists on this forum will think again.

* Evolution is just a theory, not a fact

* Evolution has never been observed

* Past evidence for evolution has been overturned

* Evolution's evidence is unreliable or inconsistent

* Life is too unlikely to arise by chance

* Evolution does not explain certain human behaviors

* Evolution cannot create complex structures

* Evolution cannot create information

* Evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics

* Evolution says that humans are animals

* Evolution leads to immorality and social ills

* Evolution leads to atheism

* Atheism can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.

Main Source -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_evolution

1 Like

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by skyone(m): 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2008
@imohep

Honeslty i wasn't interested in evolution until our arguements with Therationa when i read and finally concluded that evolution is completely fictional and has no fact or evidence whatsoever.
It's completely misleading to the likes of Therationa and others and i just shake my head in their deep ignorance they have ended up.

Its a shame.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 3:22pm On Feb 25, 2008
Imhotep,

I shall tackle you questions in a subsequent post, but b4 that can you answers these for me pls.

1) Do you know the difference between a theory and a hypothesis, in the scientific sense of the words

2) Have you ever heard of the end-permian extinction?

3) How long ago did dinosaurs become extinct?

Hopefully, that would set the scene about what to discuss.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 3:25pm On Feb 25, 2008
skyone:

@imohep

Honeslty i wasn't interested in evolution until our arguements with Therationa when i read and finally concluded that evolution is completely fictional and has no fact or evidence whatsoever.
It's completely misleading to the likes of Therationa and others and i just shake my head in their deep ignorance they have ended up.

Its a shame.

Skyone, I see you live in Essex. Have you ever visited a museum? What if you go down to the Museum of Natural History in London and see some hard evidence of evolution. Would that change you mind?

1 Like

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 3:30pm On Feb 25, 2008
Imhotep,

I understand you are Catholic. What is the Catholic's church position on evolution?

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are. Source: http://www.catholic.com/library/adam_eve_and_evolution.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

1 Like

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by bawomolo(m): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2008

the catholic church has come to accept evolution, even the age of the earth.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2008
Imhotep,

I understand you are Catholic. What is the Catholic's church position on evolution?

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are. Source: http://www.catholic.com/library/adam_eve_and_evolution.asp

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2008
therationa:

"the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are.

Beautiful. I hope this will help you to balance your view on these things. But note that this is no proof for the occurrence of evolution.

It is not advisable to use evolution as a tool to deny the existence of God; this has led to a lot of errors and nasty conclusions.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 25, 2008
Also note from the article ->

1) The question of the origin of man's body from pre-existing and living matter is a legitimate matter of inquiry for natural science. Catholics are free to form their own opinions, but they should do so cautiously; they should not confuse fact with conjecture, and they should respect the Church's right to define matters touching on Revelation.

2) Catholics must believe, however, that the human soul was created immediately by God. Since the soul is a spiritual substance it is not brought into being through transformation of matter, but directly by God, whence the special uniqueness of each person.

3) All men have descended from an individual, Adam, who has transmitted original sin to all mankind. Catholics may not, therefore, believe in "polygenism," the scientific hypothesis that mankind descended from a group of original humans (that there were many Adams and Eves).
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by KAG: 7:17pm On Feb 25, 2008
imhotep:

I stumbled upon a criticism of the theory of evolution. I have listed some of the salient points of the document below. I do hope the evolutionists on this forum will think again.

* Evolution is just a theory, not a fact

* Evolution has never been observed

* Past evidence for evolution has been overturned

* Evolution's evidence is unreliable or inconsistent

* Life is too unlikely to arise by chance

* Evolution does not explain certain human behaviors

* Evolution cannot create complex structures

* Evolution cannot create information

* Evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics

* Evolution says that humans are animals

* Evolution leads to immorality and social ills

* Evolution leads to atheism

* Atheism can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.

Main Source -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_evolution

Did you actually read the contents of the link? Radical idea: Maybe you should

1 Like

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 25, 2008
KAG:

Did you actually read the contents of the link? Radical idea: Maybe you should
@KAG
How are you doing?

Yes, I read it. It's quite long. What struck you the most?
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by KAG: 7:35pm On Feb 25, 2008
imhotep:

@KAG
How are you doing?

I'm alive. You?

Yes, I read it. It's quite long. What struck you the most?

That anyone could think most of those things are problems with or for the theory of evolution.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 25, 2008
KAG:

That anyone could think most of those things are problems with or for the theory of evolution.

anyone = evolutionist OR creationist ?
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by KAG: 7:55pm On Feb 25, 2008
imhotep:

anyone = evolutionist OR creationist ?

Anyone.

1 Like

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 25, 2008
therationa:

1) Do you know the difference between a theory and a hypothesis, in the scientific sense of the words

Theory -> In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation.

Hypothesis -> A hypothesis consists either of a suggested explanation for a phenomenon or of a reasoned proposal suggesting a possible correlation between multiple phenomena.

therationa:

2) Have you ever heard of the end-permian extinction?
No, I have not.

therationa:

3) How long ago did dinosaurs become extinct?
No, I do not. But, however long it may be, it should be PROVABLE and not be begging our faith only in the authority of the scientist.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 9:51pm On Feb 25, 2008
imhotep:

Theory -> In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation.

Hypothesis -> A hypothesis consists either of a suggested explanation for a phenomenon or of a reasoned proposal suggesting a possible correlation between multiple phenomena.
No, I have not.
No, I do not. But, however long it may be, it should be PROVABLE and not be begging our faith only in the authority of the scientist.

1) Good standard definition then. So in what way does evolution not meet the definition of a theory then? Have you heard of the following theories;

The Theory of gravitation
The Germ theory of disease
The Theory of relativity
The tectonic plate theory

Evolution meets the criteria of theory just as much as the above theories. One of its strengths is it power to predict what organism exist in a given line of lineage. Ancestors to whales have recently been discovered based on its predictive strength.

2) I just posted a thread about the end-permian extinction event: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115553.0.html

3) Current scientific consensus is that dinosaur went extinct about 65 million years ago. Have you ever heard of the KT boundary? I shall post a thread about it soon.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 25, 2008
therationa:

1) Good standard definition then. So in what way does evolution not meet the definition of a theory then? Have you heard of the following theories;

The Theory of gravitation
The Germ theory of disease
The Theory of relativity
The tectonic plate theory

Evolution meets the criteria of theory just as much as the above theories. One of its strengths is it power to predict what organism exist in a given line of lineage. Ancestors to whales have recently been discovered based on its predictive strength.
The millions-of-years explanation sounds to me like a convenient excuse for not showing any proof of evolution.

@therationa
- Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes?
- Have you ever touched an evolving organism with your own hands, as it evolved?

If your answer to both questions is 'No', can we not say that you are an adherent of evolution by virtue of faith alone? Has evolution not become some sort of religion for you?

By the way, faith is defined as 'the hypostasis of things not seen'.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 10:06pm On Feb 25, 2008
imhotep:

The millions-of-years explanation sounds to me like a convenient excuse for not showing any proof of evolution.

@therationa
- Have you ever touched an evolving organism with your own hands, as it evolved?

If your answer to both questions is 'No', can we not say that you are an adherent of evolution by virtue of faith alone? Has evolution not become some sort of religion for you?

Your questions show how un-educated you are with the methods of science. No point discussing with you on matters beyond your capabilities, cause it would be like talking to someone from the bronze age. Sorry for the analogy, but there's no other way to proceed.

Am out. Bye

1 Like

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 10:07pm On Feb 25, 2008
therationa:

Your questions show how un-educated you are with the methods of science. No point discussing with you on matters beyond your capabilities, cause it would be like talking to someone from the bronze age. Sorry for the analogy, but there's no other way to proceed.

Am out. Bye

Apologies accepted. But you have chickened out - as usual.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by jgirl3: 10:43pm On Feb 25, 2008
@ imhotep - you have unleashed me today to the fullest. Thank you for this topic.

@ threationa - I have my own questions for you.
1) Do you know the difference between a theory and a law, in the scientific sense of the words.
Gravitation is a law and it's not a theory - that's very different.

2) Have you ever heard of any man's account of extinction?

3) How do you know that dinosaurs became extinct?

To me, I think evolution is seeking to look for an explanation to disprove the essence of creation. I'm a student of evolutionary biology and from 9 - 12 everyday of the week, I'm supposed to believe that there is no God and we all evolved from apes. However, every second of my life - I believe in creation. Even the bible talks of extinction during the great flood that took most of the animals and men away during Noah's time.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 10:55pm On Feb 25, 2008
j-girl:

@ imhotep - you have unleashed me today to the fullest. Thank you for this topic.

@ threationa - I have my own questions for you.
1) Do you know the difference between a theory and a law, in the scientific sense of the words.
Gravitation is a law and it's not a theory - that's very different.

2) Have you ever heard of any man's account of extinction?

3) How do you know that dinosaurs became extinct?

To me, I think evolution is seeking to look for an explanation to disprove the essence of creation. I'm a student of evolutionary biology and from 9 - 12 everyday of the week, I'm supposed to believe that there is no God and we all evolved from apes. However, every second of my life - I believe in creation. Even the bible talks of extinction during the great flood that took most of the animals and men away during Noah's time.

Gravitation and Law can be used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between them. A law may be a generalisation of several conditions or theory but essentially the background for validation, predictability are the same. In the physical sciences, it means exactly the same thing but for semantic reason one may be prefered over the other.

2) No what is man's account of extinction?

3) Because we know that there once lived on earth (we have their fossils) but they are no longer arround. (don't bring the argument from silence here, cuz it just won't do)

My questions for your;

1) Have you ever heard of the end-permian extinction event.
2) What do you know about the K-T boundary?
3) What do you about about human chromosome 2 and vitamin C synthesis in humans?
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by jgirl3: 11:06pm On Feb 25, 2008
A law is more of a fact than a theory.

I have heard of the K-T boundary and I just answered you - I studied it for 3 weeks straight. I have heard of the end-permian extinction.
I just think it all has to do with the flood that God used to wipe out the people. We are confusing this stuff. I mean all of a sudden - particles came together (big bang) and the earth was formed? Seriously?! I find that more ridiculous than even the Yoruba version of the creation of the earth
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 11:08pm On Feb 25, 2008
j-girl:

I have heard of the K-T boundary and I just answered you - I studied it for 3 weeks straight. I have heard of the end-permian extinction.
I just think it all has to do with the flood that God used to wipe out the people. We are confusing this stuff. I mean all of a sudden - particles came together (big bang) and the earth was formed? Seriously?! I find that more ridiculous than even the Yoruba version of the creation of the earth

Why don't you go learn some more, girl? smiley
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by KAG: 11:12pm On Feb 25, 2008
dp
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by KAG: 11:15pm On Feb 25, 2008
j-girl:

That's not right.

The formation of the Earth is different from the Big Bang. Matter, amongst other things, do have a tendency to cohere due to gravity. That was a likely cause for the formation of the Earth.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by jgirl3: 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2008
therationa:

Why don't you go learn some more, girl? smiley
*huffs* Oh no he DIDN"T!!!!! angry tongue - not to worry. I'll keep that in mind

KAG:

The formation of the Earth is different from the Big Bang. Matter, amongst other things, do have a tendency to cohere due to gravity. That was a likely cause for the formation of the Earth.

I think a law is established. There is a very thin line btw theory and laws. Although - a theory is more like a law than a hypothesis.

That was said to be the beginning of the formation of earth forms as well as the earth. I just think they all sound bogus. I prefer my superior being story smiley
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by KAG: 11:43pm On Feb 25, 2008
j-girl:

*huffs* Oh no he DIDN"T!!!!! angry tongue - not to worry. I'll keep that in mind

I think a law is established.

What does that mean?

There is a very thin line between theory and laws. Although - a theory is more like a law than a hypothesis.

I tend to think the term "Law" is archaic. It certainly doesn't help that several laws have been shown to be non-universal and, in some cases, superceded by theories.

That was said to be the beginning of the formation of earth forms as well as the earth.

I didn't get that.

I just think they all sound bogus. I prefer my superior being story smiley

they don't preclude belief in a superior being.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by jgirl3: 3:06am On Feb 26, 2008
KAG:

What does that mean? I meant that a law is more established than a theory

I tend to think the term "Law" is archaic. It certainly doesn't help that several laws have been shown to be non-universal and, in some cases, superceded by theories. There has to be a difference between theory and law. A law should be stronger than a theory.

I didn't get that - I meant that the big bang is supposed to be how the earth was formed.

they don't preclude belief in a superior being - I know those other stories of creation do not include a superior being. I just prefer my belief in a superior being.
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 3:15am On Feb 26, 2008
@ poster.needless of tis topic.somethings are already obvious
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 12:26pm On Feb 27, 2008
Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 27, 2008
Let me re-post an earlier message ->

@therationa

Re: Problems With The Theory Of Evolution by therationa(m): 12:47pm On Feb 27, 2008
imhotep:

Let me re-post an earlier message ->

@therationa

My goodness, you are sounding un-educated again. I haven't touched it with my hands, but I have read the relevant books and journals. The evidence is in the DNA.

I asked you about Chromosome No. 2. Have did you check it out. You really should not be living in this era, with such attitude. The bronze age befits you better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is 700,000 Naira Too Much For Foursquare Gospel Church to save a child? / A 78 Year Old Man Has Since The 80s Being Building A Dooms Day Shelter. (photo) / Dealing With Demon Power Assigned Against You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.