Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,235 members, 7,836,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict (2154 Views)

Proposed Amendment To CCB And Tribunal Act Illegal, Self-serving - Femi Falana / Kolade Akinjo: Appeal Court Upturns Tribunal’s Verdict / Amaechi Lands In Rivers In Style Following Wike's Election Verdict (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 5:11pm On Feb 25, 2008
As the Presidential Elections Tribunal approaches the D-Day for the delivery of its judgment regarding the flawed April 2007 elections, feelers from the seat of government in Abuja shows an air of over-confidence by Umar Musa Yar'adua over the impending verdict of the tribunal.

Many Nigerian lawyers and political pundits expect the tribunal will cancel the polls that illegally put Yar’adua in Aso Rock, Nigeria’s seat of power. But in a move that underlines his over-confidence, Yar'adua has decided to leave for China on Tuesday evening on a state visit to the Asian country, even though the state visit is scheduled from February 28 to March 2. A source in the presidency attributed the early departure to time difference between Nigeria and China.

But another source in Yar’adua’s inner circles disclosed to Saharareporters that Mr. Yar’adua’s decision to hop off to China reflected his confidence that his operatives had softened a majority of the tribunal members to grant victory to the resident of Aso Rock

Over the last few months and weeks, Saharareporters has detailed serious efforts by Yar’adua’s camp to compromise the tribunal members as they settled to finalize their judgment. We specifically reported attempts by the Attorney General of the Federation, Michael Aondoakaa, to reach the Chairman of the Tribunal, Justice James Ogebe, through his US.-based son, Emmanuel Ogebe.

Several sources have revealed to us that the nomination of Justice James Ogebe for the Supreme Court days before his tribunal’s ruling was meant to reassure the Benue-born judge that the Federal Government was serious about fulfilling its own end of a deal.

Justice Ogebe’s son, Emmanuel Ogebe, was seen with AGF Aondoakaa on February 4th 2008 at the premises of the Presidential Elections Tribunal in Abuja speaking in confidential tones just as striking judicial workers put the premises in a lockdown.

While Ogebe is a senior jurist and widely regarded as knowledgeable about the law, many have viewed his sudden elevation to the Supreme Court as a suspect maneuver.

“It’s a move out of [former President] Obasanjo’s script,” said a senior advocate, who demanded anonymity. “It speaks volumes about what may have gone underground to appease the chairman of the tribunal as a final means of getting him on board to rule in favor of Umar Yar'adua.”

Apart from Justice Ogebe, our investigations also revealed that direct efforts were made to induce other tribunal members and their families. We have learned, for example, that Justice Uwani Abba-Aji has been pressured with substantial financial inducement. Justice Abba-Aji, the panel’s only female jurist, hails from Borno State, the same state as the Secretary to the Federal Government, Baba Gana Kingibe. Saharareporters found out that Yar’adua contracted former Senator Abba-Aji to spearhead the campaign to woo the justice.

[center]http://saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=533[/center]
I had always wished Yar'dua succeeded at the election tribunal, but if that report is true,
then we are not in in anyway going to get better in the nearest future. I expected the
president to be a man of his words. Go through the processes and if need be go for a re-run
thereby giving Nigerians the oppurtunity the to appreciate the moves he has made.
But that report goes to show the same desperation we have always seen among our
leaders. Imagine the senate president   trying to pull down the roof of the tribunal for
declaring what they saw in his case.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Encomium(m): 5:46pm On Feb 25, 2008
From the above report, it seems we have forgotten so easily how God Almighty works. The likes of James Ogebe and other learned justices cannot have their way even they are given the whole world as compensation. The final ruling of Yar'adua's removal will be in spring court of justice. Surely his so called election victory will be nulified no matter what it takes.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Encomium(m): 5:52pm On Feb 25, 2008
After the nulification of Yar'adua's election, I urge the National Assembly to recommend Rtd Justice Alfa Belgore as the new INEC chairman. He is a man of integrity who enhanced the rapid restructuring of our judiciary system as the Chief Justice of the Federation. I equally believe that the Supreme court will continue to wax stronger.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by champredd(m): 6:34pm On Feb 25, 2008
I don't care about the report above, but I dislilke the nomination of Justice Ogebe at this point in time.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by blueband(m): 7:50pm On Feb 25, 2008
The fact that Emmanuel Ogebe was mentioned in the write up discredits it totally.Emmanuel does not,I repeat does not influence his father.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 25, 2008
and whatabout carrots, it tastes sweet doesnt it. grin
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 10:21am On Feb 26, 2008
blueband:

The fact that Emmanuel Ogebe was mentioned in the write up discredits it totally.Emmanuel does not,I repeat does not influence his father.

hmm! I know my dad listens to me sha.
Right now the judgement is being delivered
I'm following it live!
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by ijogbon(m): 10:27am On Feb 26, 2008
Please some of us noh dey near Teefee, could you give running commentary?
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 10:43am On Feb 26, 2008
It is on going don't let's speculate as it could be misleading at this point but what I'm hearing is like a very long law lecture. Trust me as soon as they drop the gavel I will get you guys informed.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2008
Yar'dua may have it, from what I've listened to so far but you never can tell. There are so many technical things going in his favor
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by twinstaiye(m): 11:16am On Feb 26, 2008
Please keep us posted. dont wait until they drop the gavel
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by globalaid(m): 11:22am On Feb 26, 2008
yes o, the way the whole things are going the judge is going to upheld the election, he is just throwing all the petitioner case out one after the other.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by twinstaiye(m): 11:28am On Feb 26, 2008
If possible, change the topic of this thread to reflect minutes by minutes account of the tribunal verdicts, I am really enjoying the updates. What are the grounds the judges are throwing out please?
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by globalaid(m): 11:32am On Feb 26, 2008
most of where the pettioner build their case upon are been throw out, so far Yaradua is still winning
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by ijogbon(m): 11:33am On Feb 26, 2008
, and the winner is?
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Afam(m): 11:37am On Feb 26, 2008
Saharareporters again? They have a way of knowing and seeing through the minds of people.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by twinstaiye(m): 11:39am On Feb 26, 2008
What did Sahara reporters said? cant get through to their websites
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 11:56am On Feb 26, 2008
I choose to keep quiet and watch for some time before further comment.
This day can not but remain historical.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by globalaid(m): 12:03pm On Feb 26, 2008
SHOCKING: The petition has been dismissed.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by globalaid(m): 12:05pm On Feb 26, 2008
SHOCKING: The petition has been dismissed. Act 1 now the Judge is now reading Act 2
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by debosky(m): 12:05pm On Feb 26, 2008
Sahara has just cooked up its usual lies. . .nothing factual is revealed in that report, except what we already know - the recommendation for the Judge to be appointed to the Supreme court. Although the announcement of that is a little fishy coming so close to the judgement, but it will be foolhardy for anyone to believe that (assuming he was compromised) he will be able to influence all the other experienced judges to bend their will to his and make a mess of their own names. I trust those honourable men to make the right call in the end.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 12:10pm On Feb 26, 2008
globalaid:

SHOCKING: The petition has been dismissed. Act 1 now the Judge is now reading Act 2
globalaid:

SHOCKING: The petition has been dismissed.

I saw it coming from onset that it will go in Yar'adua's favor.
Questions: Is it over now? Or are we just getting started?
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by globalaid(m): 12:23pm On Feb 26, 2008
The Judge is still reading his address but it is obvious from the way the whole thing is going he has given their case TKO
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 12:29pm On Feb 26, 2008
globalaid:

The Judge is still reading his address but it is obvious from the way the whole thing is going he has given their case TKO

I can't but commend your effort, you are beating me to it, all the way from shanghai, men na waooo!
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Ahmadtjk(m): 12:37pm On Feb 26, 2008
It is certain that we are not ready for democracy in nigeria, and let continiou praying

for the peace in our nation. but the whole thing is a shamefull, REALLY THE REAL JUDGEMENT DAY IS COMING
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by globalaid(m): 12:41pm On Feb 26, 2008
I know it from the onset that the judge will just come and waste our time with all his talk and the status quo will still remain, na wah o, democracy is dead and buried in my fatherland, this is more than abracababra.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by deor03(m): 12:42pm On Feb 26, 2008
for those abroad and those in the office
try

http://www.radionigeriaonline.com/ for live broadcast of the judgement
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Crownvilla(m): 12:45pm On Feb 26, 2008
Its looking good for Yar'Adua. The judge has thrown out Buhari's case and has thrown out most of Atiku's petitio. He hasn't dropped the gavel, but it looks like Yar'Adua has got this one in the bag.

Needless to say, it looks like the lawyers for all parties concerned can look forward to another pay day at the Supreme Court.
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by otokx(m): 12:49pm On Feb 26, 2008
lets wait and see
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by debosky(m): 12:50pm On Feb 26, 2008
Crownvilla:

Its looking good for Yar'Adua. The judge has thrown out Buhari's case and has thrown out most of Atiku's petitio. He hasn't dropped the gavel, but it looks like Yar'Adua has got this one in the bag.

Needless to say, it looks like the lawyers for all parties concerned can look forward to another pay day at the Supreme Court.

Exactly!

Buhari and Atiku did not win the election, Yar'adua did even with the irregularities but their pride will make sure lawyers keep getting paid. This must be the best time in Nigerian history to be a member of the noble profession.  cheesy
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Truequest(m): 1:03pm On Feb 26, 2008
What is left now is for the Judgement to be published so that we can study it
to know why it went the way I see it now. Other things calling for answers are:
why was that Judge promoted at this time? Wouldn't it have been better to do
that say two months after this judgement? With this judgement are we making
progress? What of all the land slide achievement of the judiciary in the recent past?

Democracy and Nigeria na wa ooooo!
Re: Yar'dua's Carrot and Tribunal Verdict by Afam(m): 1:12pm On Feb 26, 2008
Even with the irregularities in the election Yar'adua won and would win any election if Buhari and Atiku remains the real contenders.

As a matter of fact the only sensible thing for the tribunal to do is to maintain the status quo even if for the sake of stability after all the interest of Nigeria is more important than that of the likes of Atiku and Buhari.

For those implying that the only way for the judges to show that democracy is alive and well in Nigeria is for them to annul the election I say sorry to them because it is more about wishful thinking than reality.

6 governors have been sent packing, the no 3 citizen has had his election annuled, all thanks to the doggedness of Yar'adua and for the first time in a long long time in Nigeria we are seeing order and integrity return in a lot of sectors and yet some people want this man out.

God will continue to bless OBJ for bringing this man at this time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Poison Fire Film Documentary Activists, Journalists Detained By Military / We Are Eager To Send Pdp Away, Says Tinubu ! / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-iweala: Home Gal Setting The World Economic Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.