Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,460 members, 7,843,399 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories (18716 Views)

Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) / Ex Muslims Share Your Conversion Stories Here. / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 8:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
wiegraf:

Just answer the last bit then you can continue lmao, or whatever half wits do in their spare time. Sadly though, I've run out of play time atm. You could answer and I may get back to it though, if I still find you amusing ie.

Edit: And oh yes, again, it's not supposed to be witty to m.orons like you. Try to keep up if you can

Logicboy03:

lol.......what wont I see on Nairaland? A tard talking about IQ?

Ahhh...

The roaches come crawling out the woodwork...

And actually spitting about brainpower...

These fools have been smoking that pubic hair again...

Wiegraf if you dare...come defend your atheist beliefs against me in public debate....

Team up with illogical if you want...

I fancy some fun tonight...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by JeSoul(f): 9:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
I'm quite disappointed by the derailment of this thread. I'm unwilling to begin hiding numerous posts and desertify the thread. And locking this thread also will be a shame.

So I will only say it once. Quit the insults or you will be banned.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 9:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
JeSoul: I'm quite disappointed by the derailment of this thread. I'm unwilling to begin hiding numerous posts and desertify the thread. And locking this thread also will be a shame.

I put my hands up...

No offense meant to anyone...

Just playing around...

For reals... wink
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 9:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
JeSoul: I'm quite disappointed by the derailment of this thread. I'm unwilling to begin hiding numerous posts and desertify the thread. And locking this thread also will be a shame.

Where is Frosbel when you need him?

He just abandon this wonderful thread for trolls..
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by wiegraf: 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
cheddarking:

Ahhh...

The roaches come crawling out the woodwork...

And actually spitting about brainpower...

These fools have been smoking that pubic hair again...

Wiegraf if you dare...come defend your atheist beliefs against me in public debate....

Team up with illogical if you want...

I fancy some fun tonight...

Busy atm eediot, did you miss that? Again, try to keep up. Worry not though, you will see me around. We may even have a proper internet "fight" if that's what pleases a good and proper mor.on these days.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 9:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
wiegraf:

Busy atm eediot, did you miss that? Again, try to keep up. Worry not though, you will see me around. We may even have a proper internet "fight" if that's what pleases a good and proper mor.on these days.

*rubbing hands in anticipation*
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
cheddarking:

*rubbing hands in anticipation*

Sir, kindly open a new thread to sort out your issues with wiegraf.

Thanks.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by JeSoul(f): 9:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
Those who could not resist throwing more insults have been banned. Does anyone else want to join them?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 15, 2013
JeSoul: Those who could not resist throwing more insults have been banned. Does anyone else want to join them?

lol..........

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by manmustwac(m): 12:02am On Jan 16, 2013
Was thinking of telling my story but there's nothing much to say & its boring
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 12:22am On Jan 16, 2013
cheddarking: It's all good though...

Really?

Damn...The average Nigerian IQ seems to bedropping at a faster rate these days...

Uhn uhn, no you don't want to go down that road with me. You so bloody don't, so quit it.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 12:26am On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

Sir, kindly open a new thread to sort out your issues with wiegraf.

Thanks.
Lwkmd!!! cheesy

El Classico grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 1:38am On Jan 16, 2013
Here is an interesting deconversion story I got from reddit. The guy was actually worried he might lose his marriage and asking for advice from his reddit audience and I strongly believe his story is in line with the purpose of this thread:

I am a former youth pastor for a SouthernBaptist church. I just want to tell my story. I've never said any of this out loud, or to someone else.
I grew up going to church. All I've ever known is church. My entire family is made upof Christians. I questioned religion and God alittle when I was a teenager but didn't really honestly evaluate my beliefs or what I was being told. For those who may not be familiar with my upbringing, I come from a fairly fundamentalist background. My parents weren't extremely strict like some (no R-rated movies, dating girls, etc.). However, it's a common upbringing where I live in the South of the US. BTW, for reference, I'm 29 years old.
Anyway, I went to a fundamentalist Bible college the first two years out of high school.Needless to say, the education wasn't quite on par with a college. But, it didn't matter to me at the time. I was immersed in this lifestyle and honestly loved most of it. Except for certain things, like no sex. And to be honest, I never really followed that rule too well. I didn't sleep around or anything, but my first girlfriend and I had sex all the time, and afterward I always had a lot of guilt. We broke up and I continued going to college. I transferred to a Christian liberal arts school. Igot a B.S. In Religious Studies...This school was much more moderate in its religious department and I received what I now believe to be a good education. Some of my classes lead me to question some things, butagain, there wasn't a tipping point or anything where a light came on. I graduatedat the top of my class and had been dating a new girl for awhile at this point.
Fast forward, I become a youth pastor at a church. The girl and I get married. That was five and a half years ago. I'm still pretty unmoved in my beliefs until about two years or so later. I had continued going to school, pursuing a Master's degree in divinity from aSouthern Baptist seminary. I cannot point to a certain time, class, or event where I really began to question my beliefs but my convictions about God, the Bible, and religion slowly eroded over the course of five years while I was a youth pastor.
During the last 9-12 months at the church, things were going very poorly. Not with me in particular, but financially in the church and over some other issues. There were many hurtful things said to me, about me and about others in leadership at the church. I eventually resigned because of the stress it placed on my marriage and my health. I hated it by the end. I couldn't stand most of the people there and I was ready to leave. I really used the issues going on in thechurch as a reason to leave because of not only the stress of the situation, but my true lack of faith by the end. For the last two years I was there, I was going through the motions. I didn't really believe what I was teaching and preaching. In the truest sense of the word, I was a hypocrite. I taught young earth creationism even though I didn't really believe it (just one instance of many things I didn't believe). The problem the last two years of my time there is that I wanted to believe it. I really did. I tried to. I rationalized. I ignored facts. However, the only times I “prayed” for almost 3 or 4 years was in group settings when I was expected to. I never did in private. I didn't read the Bible for spiritual growth like I was “supposed” to do. I only studied it when I had to teach. In retrospect, I'm sure this impacted my job performance, but I put on agood face. The reasons I never did these things in private is because I never got answers to prayer.
Not only this, but I realized that Christians are no different from anyone else. Even though the Bible says that their “fruit” will be different, it's not. They still cheat, lie, steal,gossip, abuse, etc. I have never seen anything happen in my life that was called an answer to prayer that couldn't be explained by natural causes. I have seen healthy, young people die for no reason and people claim that God had a purpose. Bullshit. Random things happen. The world is random. There is no higher purpose to life. But people want to hold onto the belief of God because they think it is more palatable than the alternative. I used to thinkthat.
By the end, everything unraveled. I couldn't stomach what I was doing, but I couldn't tellanyone either. I have no one to tell. My entirelife; friends, family, wife are believers. I had and still have no one with whom to openly dialogue. I fear for my marriage. I fear she will leave me if I am honest with her. I am anatheist. I do not believe. I am not a Christian

*to be continued shortly*
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 2:34am On Jan 16, 2013
*continued from previous post*

I am afraid to tell my circle of family and friends because there is a possibility I will beostracized. I mostly fear losing my wife and child. We haven't been active in a church since I resigned. That was six months ago. She is starting to ask to get involved again ina church (not in a professional capacity, because she knows I'm finished with that). I keep putting it off and telling her that I'm not ready, because I'm not. But she doesn't know that I'm never going to be ready. I don't want to be involved again. I feel like I'm going to have to tell her. I'm thinking about writing her a letter stating why I don'tbelieve anymore, and so I do not forget to tell her anything. I know it will crush her, though. I am afraid of divorce because of the incompatibility of our beliefs and the way we will want to raise our child.
It will disappoint my family. I know my familywill not disown me, but it will cause worry that I am going to hell. I know some of you may laugh at that, but anyone that comes from a similar background will understand this. It will probably cause my friends and acquaintances to avoid me. I hate this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AtheismComingOut/comments/14s6tv/former_youth_pastor_became_atheist/
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 3:07am On Jan 16, 2013
@Ihe, I see you viewing... Still waiting for your views..

@cyrexx: ur own bad o... On a serious note, wish you the best man... I honestly have no idea what else to say..

Edit: missed the first part of the story.. Phew..
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 3:10am On Jan 16, 2013
Atheists no dey sleep?

Dey swear for una?

Muskeeto, Cyrexx, you no get bedtime?

grin basks in hypocrisy
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 3:17am On Jan 16, 2013
tongue

It's 7:43 am here, though I hardly go to bed early.. You and plaetton are nocturnal beings... tongue
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 3:31am On Jan 16, 2013
musKeeto: tongue

It's 7:43 am here, though I hardly go to bed early.. You and plaetton are nocturnal beings... tongue

Seen. Cool.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 3:45am On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03: Atheists no dey sleep?

Dey swear for una?

Muskeeto, Cyrexx, you no get bedtime?

grin basks in hypocrisy

We work with the prince of darkness, remember grin and he is mostly active in the night, plotting his final overthrow of that genocidal freak and eternal torturer grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:48am On Jan 16, 2013
cyrexx:

We work with the prince of darkness, remember grin and he is mostly active in the night, plotting his final overthrow of that genocidal freak and eternal torturer grin grin grin

Hail the dark lord!
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by manmustwac(m): 7:31am On Jan 16, 2013
Deconversion From Christianity

I got it from here on Nairaland. Its the story of how a nigerian woman became an aatheist.

https://www.nairaland.com/588244/deconversion-christianity#up

Deconversion from Christianity
Submitted by Matt on 1 October, 2010 - 15:40
Nigeria IHN 2010.2 May International Humanist News

I was converted from Christianity to atheism between the ages of 16 and 18. By age 15, I was beginning to question intelligent design. As a young science student, learning the fundamentals of critical thinking, the fact that I could not intellectually defend my belief in God as the ‘unmoved mover/uncaused causer’ was beginning to bother me. I needed an answer to the question: If God created the world, who created God? I found it difficult to suppress the cognitive dissonance between my logical and reasoning mind and the leap of faith in the belief in a supreme being-God that is: Omnipotence – with the absolute power to do anything He desires; Omnipresence - present in all places at all times; Omniscience - all-knowing ability to know absolute everything. A belief in a set of propositions based solely on faith and contrary to the sum of the evidence for the belief.

Being a good Catholic girl, I reduced this dissonance by syncretising creationist and evolutionary theory to explain how the world came into existence: that God created atoms; and once created, these atoms initiated the evolutionary process! How very clever. I somehow felt that nature was too complex and variable for one person or Supreme Being to design all alone.

In my last two years in secondary school, like a good statistician that I was, I hedged my bets and practised what Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion called the Pascal Wager: ‘Better believe in God because if you are right you stand to go to heaven, and if you are wrong it won’t make any difference anyway. Whereas, if you don’t believe in God and you end up being wrong, you are condemned to eternal damnation in hell.’

During this period, I struggled with questions such as: Why do I believe that God exists? What is the nature of God? How does God interact with humans? Does he actively intervene or is he powerless to intervene? Why did an omnipotent God create an imperfect world or allow catastrophes to happen? I rationalised that God has no control over the evolutionary process he initiated, and that was why Man has free will. Significantly, though Mass attendance in school was mandatory, my religiosity during this period was moderated. I continued to find the rituals of the Catholic Mass, Stations of the Cross, and the Rosary, etc. very comforting.

In the intervening years between living in the secure doctrinaire environment of a Catholic boarding school and my Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), my religiosity was tepid.

Over the course of my university education, I became completely faithless and unable to believe in God in the absence of verification. I became a science fiction aficionado, and an ardent follower of the television series Star Trek.

At the end of four years of studying for a science degree (Biology Major and Chemistry Minor), I was 100 percent convinced that God did not exist, and the world was not created by a single Supreme Being. Rather, I was preoccupied with questions, such as: Are we indeed alone in the universe? Are there more intelligent beings out there in the universe? What is the future of human evolution?

By the time I left university, I had become confidently and unequivocally a religious and able to rationally disentangle morality from religion. I viewed ‘God’ as a universal concept of perfection and goodness, not a spiritual being; just a concept, an ideal standard which I did not humanise and to which I did not ascribe absolute supernatural characteristics. As Emile Durkheim observed, I had concluded my personal journey of enlightenment: from faith in magical powers to explain the world to a gradual shift to the superior explanatory model of science.

By the time I was 35 years old I began to view religion as a barrier to maturity: moral immaturity that keeps you trapped in an arrested state of character development, where morality is based on the fear of God’s retribution, bereft of goodness for the sake of goodness; intellectual immaturity that halts intellectual growth as deviation from faith- based beliefs have frightening consequences; inhibited personal growth that embraces a party line of morals, beliefs, and opinions, rather than learning to think for yourself.

These days, I see religion as a crutch and a security blanket for the weak, the needy, the spiritually craven and the intellectually wanting. It is a sign of human weakness and lack of mental aptitude to manage the difficulties of life on one’s own without trust in a Supreme Power beyond man. A solace for the soul and an "opiate of the masses” that sees believers choosing to live by pre-digested philosophy, morality, and instructions for daily life, rather than think for themselves.

I have a strong aversion to fellowshipping with believers who appeal to emotion rather than critical thinking. I am unable to ignore their illogic and bewildering close-minded ignorance and circular reasoning. I refuse to derive my worldview and self-worth from a priest/pastor/spiritualist that expects me to accept without question everything it teaches, even when it contradicts science, history, logic, and even itself. My special vitriol is reserved for Pentecostals who venture to ‘save me’ (recruit me).

Sadly, I live in a country where people have outsourced responsibility to the devil and principalities and solutions to God. We want the fruits of scientific labour, but shun the mental discipline of scientific rationality. As the modern world pushes new frontiers in science and technology, my people conveniently escape into the world of magic and superstition. Though a necessary dissonance reduction mechanism for coping with powerlessness in a complex world in which we are increasingly becoming irrelevant, the wider ramification is damning and alarming. We have ceased to take responsibility for our lives and destiny, and resort to the magical powers of faith and prayer to effect change in our personal circumstances, national governance and leadership, economic development. In this 21st century, democracy in Nigeria has been redefined as: ‘Power belongs to God’ as opposed to ‘Power to the People’.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.

--Enotie Ezekiel

Mrs Enotie Ezekiel, a Nigerian Humanist, is a 54 year old businesswoman, married with four children. She lives in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:47am On Jan 16, 2013
^^^
A True Christian always have the cringing questions scratching the walls of their mind, some become curious enough to challenge these questions, others sink deeper for answers already on the surface of daily realities. She saw the light at a truly young age, many are not so fortunate
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by onetrack(m): 8:58am On Jan 16, 2013
A superb explanation from an atheist in response to mother concerned about her son's atheism. It's the best explanation of atheism I have seen.

I saw it on reddit:

Hi Unsuremother,
First, off, though I am an atheist myself, I want to empathize a little: this must be difficult for you and your family. Your faith commitment is an important part of your life and it is bewildering to have your own child turn away from this. I don't know exactly what you believe, but you might be worried about his soul in the next life, or his behaviour in this one. If you don't believe in God, how do you know right from wrong? If you reject God, how will you be reunited with Him in the next Kingdom?
The most important thing to understand is that these kinds of concerns, while very vivid and real to you, only make sense within a belief system your son no longer accepts. There is no sense in making threats of Hell or damnation anymore: atheists do not believe such a place exists. We don't believe such a place could exist. The thing that is important to remember is that while we no longer believe that there are places beyond the world, the world he lives in has now become all the more important. That's all we have. That's all we ever have. His world is family, and school, and friends: all these things structure his life and he will need them more than ever. He needs you. He's still a kid, and he's a kid dealing with Really Big Questions in the only way he can: honestly and critically.
Most of us have come to this point honestly. This must be emphasized. We're not angry at God, we're not trying to get attention or going through some cultural phase. We looked at the arguments on both sides and came to the best conclusion we could. We only have 70 odd years on this planet. We make mistakes, too; we are fallible creatures prone to error and haste. We do our best. And sometimes our best is 'well, I don't think any of this is right.' I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't rightly know where the universe came from, or how life began at first. But I don't need all the answers to know that some answers are the wrong ones. I don't know, and I don't think Christians, or Muslims, or Taoists know either. They claim to know; I claim to not know.
Suppose I'm wrong. Suppose your son is wrong. I'm standing outside the pearly gates and St. Peter, or God Himself, gives me one chance to explain myself. What would I say except "I'm sorry--I got it wrong. I really tried. But I got it wrong. I saw all the different religions, each saying different things, all changing over time. It seemed just a part of human culture, not ultimate truth. I saw unnecessary suffering and couldn't make heads or tails of it, if you were good and all-powerful. It didn't make sense to me to posit something existing to explain existence: that gets it backwards. I'm sorry, God, that I didn't believe in you, but it wasn't malicious--I just--I just screwed up."
What would Jesus say to that? Would he send me to suffer forever? Do I deserve to be tortured eternally because I read Lucretius as a young man--the 2,000 year old Roman poet who professed his atheism before Christ ever walked desert sand? Because I looked at the ontological argument and found it wanting?
Or would he press me to Him and forgive me? And wouldn't I desire that forgiveness---?
If there is a God that would send me to Hell for making this mistake, I don't want it in my life. Nothing justifies torture. Nothing at all. And He would not be worthy of worship--or even respect. If He is merciful, then I will apologize. If I am right--and he doesn't exist--then I live my life as a free man.
And that is how atheists live: under actual freedom. The German philosopher Nietzsche wrote that 'freedom is responsibility'--genuine freedom. I am responsible for the consequences of my actions. So: how do I live? What do I do? Do I want to live in a society where everyone does what they can get away with? What standards do I hold myself up to? This is the essence of the atheist's morality: his freedom, his rationality.
Before even Lucretius wrote his atheistic treatise De Rerum Natura, there was another man, Socrates, who asked a simple and startling question: Does God say something is Good because it is good, or is something good because God says it is? We must be careful here. If what is good is whatever God says is good, then we have no morality at all, but caprice. If God says: kill your son! it is good to kill your son. If God says: from henceforth, children shall be murdered--then it is good, by definition, that children be murdered. But that's not morality. That's authoritarianism. And if you say: "But God would never do that," I ask: why? Because if there is a reason, then goodness is independent from God after all. It is grounded elsewhere. In what? Well: maybe in reason itself? Or maybe morality is just part of the universe--a different kind of part, not like your sofa or TV or the moon is part of the universe, but the way numbers, or relations (like 'equal to')--an abstract object, none less the real.
There is a very, very long tradition of ethical thinking that is, in fact, older than Christianity itself. In philosophy classes we teach wisdom that was recorded a millennium before Christ. If it is impossible to be good without God, there wouldn't be one virtuous atheist. Yet there are millions of us non-religious men and women on the planet, and we live our lives, as best we can. Atheists don't fill the newspapers with tales of carnage or debauchery--clearly we can figure it out on our own.
Well. Not quite on our own. We have each other. No one else--just each other. And that's enough.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/16l13l/hello_reddit_im_a_christian_mother_and_my_son/
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 9:32am On Jan 16, 2013
Hey Logicboy,

How about creating a thread similar to this one but better in purpose and organisation; where we can share deconversion stories followed by comparison btw one's christian life and atheist life after deconversion

We might need to copy some conversion stories from here and paste it where it really belongs on that thread, but it will be better if the authors here can organise their stories in this new format on your thread.

We can also share other's stories with references/source links

People might find stories that resonates with them intriguing and it might give them a rethink about religion.

The format would go like this:

1. CHRISTIAN EXPERIENCE:
State when and how you become a christian; your exploits and achievements or whatever experience you had when you were a christian.

2. DECONVERSION PROCESS:
state the doubts and question or whatever you started having when religion begins to make no sense to you. State the time this process begins and what finally led to religion's uninstallation from your mind

3. MAJOR DISCOVERIES:
state what you eventually discovered about religion that led to your deconversion. You can state personal discoveries, the books you read, the websites (e.g. Youtube videos, online forums, facebook page etc); conversations with people or any other things that led to your discovery about religion.

4. COMPARISON:
compare your worldviews, state of mind etc when you were a christian with when you became an atheist now. Many theists thought you became a monster when you lost your religion. Correct this false impression.

5. FINAL WORD AND ADVICE TO EVERYONE:
what admonition would you give to christians and atheists. How would you encourage everyone to search for knowledge and not be content with believing what you always believe.

Some people do not like logic and rational arguments but EVERYBODY loves real-life stories, especially the one that resonates with them.

If you remember, i gave this suggestion on your call-to-arms new year thread on the way forward for nairaland atheists.

And whats more, you can even petition this thread to be sticked to the frontpage along with your other thread

Think about this, Sir Logicboy, and let's hear your feedback.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 16, 2013
cyrexx: Hey Logicboy,

How about creating a thread similar to this one but better in purpose and organisation; where we can share deconversion stories followed by comparison btw one's christian life and atheist life after deconversion

We might need to copy some conversion stories from here and paste it where it really belongs on that thread, but it will be better if the authors here can organise their stories in this new format on your thread.

People might find stories that resonates with them intriguing and it might give them a rethink about religion.

1. CHRISTIAN EXPERIENCE:
State when and how you become a christian; your exploits and achievements or whatever experience you had when you were a christian.

2. DECONVERSION PROCESS:
state the doubts and question or whatever you started having when religion begins to make no sense to you. State the time this process begins and what finally led to religion's uninstallation from your mind

3. MAJOR DISCOVERIES:
state what you eventually discovered about religion that led to your deconversion. You can state personal discoveries, the books you read, the websites (e.g. Youtube videos, online forums, facebook page etc); conversations with people or any other things that led to your discovery about religion.

4. COMPARISON:
compare your worldviews, state of mind etc when you were a christian with when you became an atheist now. Many theists thought you became a monster when you lost your religion. Correct this false impression.

what admonition would you give to christians and atheists. How would you encourage everyone to search for knowledge and not be content with believing what you always believe.

Some people do not like logic and rational arguments but EVERYBODY loves real-life stories, especially the one that resonates with them.

If you remember, i gave this suggestion on your call-to-arms new year thread on the way forward for nairaland atheists.

And whats more, you can even petition this thread to be sticked to the frontpage along with your other thread

Thanks alot! That's a great idea!

Just kinda busy right now...will get back on this....
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 12:19pm On Jan 16, 2013
cyrexx:

May God have mercy on you.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 12:29pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ishilove:
May God have mercy on you.

Amen.

Thanks for your concern, even though that God (Yawheh) you are praying to on my behalf is a totally made-up human concept.

wink
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by PastorKun(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
cyrexx: Hey Logicboy,

1. CHRISTIAN EXPERIENCE:

2. DECONVERSION PROCESS:

3. MAJOR DISCOVERIES:

4. COMPARISON:

Heathen evangelist working for their father satan to increase the number of condemned souls that would perish with them.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Heathen evangelist working for their father satan to increase the number of condemned souls that would perish with them.

I cannot agree more.

"It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them." - Deuteronomy 32:35

There are two types of atheists :

1. Those who are still looking and confused, which is why I raised this thread.
2. Those who know GOD exists but want to wish him away and live their lives regardless of the truth.

We can only help the atheists in No.1

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
musKeeto: @Ihe, I see you viewing... Still waiting for your views ..

I hear you. Just reading for now
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 2:06pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

I cannot agree more.

"It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them." - Deuteronomy 32:35

There are two types of atheists :

1. Those who are still looking and confused, which is why I raised this thread.
2. Those who know GOD exists but want to wish him away and live their lives regardless of the truth.

We can only help the atheists in No.1

LOL,

it goes both ways.

1. There are theists (christians and muslims) who knows that what they believe is total bullcrap but they will keep defending their bullcrap using convoluted logic and deliberate ignorance of truth staring them in the face.

2. Theists (christians and muslims)who really want to know the truth about their religion, their world and what they ought to know.

Unfortunately, we cannot help the no 1 category.

I'm appalled and somehow amused that christian resort to equating atheists with imaginary devils bringing men to imaginary hell with their scientific facts, truth, logic and reason.

Gosh, and they are taking the darklord joke so seriously. grin

It shows the depth of backwardness that religion has inflicted on human mind.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 16, 2013
cyrexx:

1. There are theists who knows that what they believe is total bullcrap but they will keep defending their bullcrap using convoluted logic and deliberate ignorance of truth staring them in the face.

What is more delusional ? believing in an intelligent designer of an intelligent and orderly creation , or believing that our intelligent and orderly universe came out of a chaotic, haphazard , random chance of events.

I mean you guys are so hypocritical it is no more a laughing matter, you cannot prove ONE theory or hypothesis of yours , and yet have the gall to accuse others of believing in a skydaddy , lol.

Arrogantly , you hold onto a fallacious, comic and almost insane position , while pointing a crooked finger at others , with all the dishonesty you can muster , of holding onto a more logical and plausible stance.

Unfortunately, we cannot help the no 1 category.

How can a MAN who cannot help himself help others.

It's like you are walking into a ditch and asking others to follow suit. Only a FOOL will agree to this suicidal position.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Seductive And Subtle Pornographic Content That Deposit Lusts In Your Heart / Prophet David Angel And His Wife Celebrate Birthday In Style / Tithe In The New Testament: Who's Wrong Between Daddy Freeze & Nigerian Pastors?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.